• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

The paid shill audience booed the moderators and Trump and blew the roof off the arena any time Jeb or Rubio started talking.

To be fair, last time around the pre-South Carolina debate gave Gingrich the victory, and a lot of that was his performance in the debate and the crowd cheering him on. They definitely didn't want a repeat of that happening.

HylianTom

Banned
Watching Douthat witness and cope with what's been going on over the past year ("terms of surrender" on marriage equality, denial over Trump's potential, and now ramifications of Scalia's departure) has been pretty interesting.

9066228B-509C-4D9A-B9D5-2B6E09538306.png.jpeg
In a limited sense, he's right. If Trump is nominated, it's a signal that the party base didn't really care too deeply about adhering to conservative principles. And if Scalia's replacement is a lefty, suddenly egregious conservative legislation, redistricting schemes, and a whole generation of close rulings all become less solidly-grounded.

Watching Douthat witness and cope with what's been going on over the past year ("terms of surrender" on marriage equality, denial over Trump's potential, and now ramifications of Scalia's departure) has been pretty interesting.

In a limited sense, he's right. If Trump is nominated, it's a signal that the party base didn't really care too deeply about adhering to conservative principles. And if Scalia's replacement is a lefty, suddenly egregious conservative legislation, redistricting schemes, and a whole generation of close rulings all become less solidly-grounded.

I believe Douthat is touching on an intellectual decline. Scalia rose just as the Federalist society did, and triggered a new wave of conservative legal theorists. With Scalia dead and Trump on the march its a new era of politics unmoored from political or legal theory.

Liberalism was at its sharpest when conservatives were difficult to beat, Bill Clinton had a seemingly endless stack of policy papers in the 1992 election. Today candidates just throw up websites with vague, sufficiently diffusive policy proposals to match either polling data or donors.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
About what exactly?

Trump. I can't say how this will affect Trump. In the past, the audience has clearly been against him and he's clearly been "attacked," but I feel like 9/11 is sort of sacred ground for Republicans. It's obviously a deep insecurity. The war in Iraq is another. It's very hard to comprehend how this could affect things. If Rubio wins South Carolina, Trump is back to in-major-trouble.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump. I can't say how this will affect Trump. In the past, the audience has clearly been against him and he's clearly been "attacked," but I feel like 9/11 is sort of sacred ground for Republicans. It's obviously a deep insecurity. The war in Iraq is another. It's very hard to comprehend how this could affect things. If Rubio wins South Carolina, Trump is back to in-major-trouble.

15 points is a huge lead to surmount in a week.

I still think Trumps core appeal is on domestic policy and no other candidate will venture far enough from orthodoxy to challenge him on that. Its a very, very risky move and does settle in my mind that Trump is running on instinct and not really calculating or calibrating what he is doing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We saw Rubio crash 5-6 points basically over a weekend.

That's 5 or 6 points. Still need ten more.

Also, look at that Google trends map for during the debate Trump posted at 1:39 AM. Rubio was fourth. Plus, with Jeb performing well last night, Rubio isn't siphoning his voters.

I can't help but enjoy watching how Luntz has been seeing his favoured party crash and burn in these recent years, and is forced to come to terms with the fact that no, it wasn't the democrats doing wot done it.

Also no idea why Shapiro hates Trump, dude is his "how to argue with libruls" book made flesh.

Are you familiar with the term "gone horribly right?"

How is it that we have a caucus in 6 days and there has been literally one poll on the Dem side?

I too find this strange...I was shocked when I looked at the date of the next primary. Maybe the news is focusing on other things? Or doesn't like what they see regarding the agenda to make it a close race?

While I'm looking at Senate races to donate to, can someone explaim why everyone seems to be throwing their weight behind Katie McGinty over Joe Sestak in the PA Senate race?

Plinko

I, for one, am shocked that the same "Politico insiders" that said Trump was "finished" after the last debate are saying the exact same thing after this one.

Politico is a hilarious disaster at this point.

Jarmel

Banned
Trump was Trump last night. I have to admit, he hasn't played any of this in a safe manner. He just keeps on rolling the dice. I don't think his stances are going to particularly hurt him as I imagine most of his voters know about his past and somewhat current stances on a number of these topics. The Planned Parenthood thing might ding him a bit especially in South Carolina.

NV is hard (and expensive) to poll apparently. Turnout is unpredictable, has to be done in both English and Spanish, high cellphone use, transitory population, and a caucus system.

And Trump dived further into Trumpeting than before so I don't know how well his Trumpeters will take it.

Yoda

I, for one, am shocked that the same "Politico insiders" that said Trump was "finished" after the last debate are saying the exact same thing after this one.

Politico is a hilarious disaster at this point.

They really are going full retard and trying to derail Trump. The irony is It will galvanize his supporters even more. They don't want to be told who to vote for from people inside the beltway.

Trump was Trump last night. I have to admit, he hasn't played any of this in a safe manner. He just keeps on rolling the dice. I don't think his stances are going to particularly hurt him as I imagine most of his voters know about his past and somewhat current stances on a number of these topics. The Planned Parenthood thing might ding him a bit especially in South Carolina.

I come from an extremely conservative family (some of who ironically live in SC). Most conservatives aren't ignorant to the fact PP provides healthcare as the majority of their operations, they simply opt for ignorance when it suits their agenda (pushing pro-life policies). What Trump said is nothing they don't know AND acknowledge. It won't hurt him at all.

Plinko

It boggles my mind that even when faced with pure factual numbers, republicans refuse to admit that PP does the slightest bit of good for women's health.

Edit: 22-point lead in SC over Cruz, who sucked in the debate? Yeah, I don't see Rubio jumping that high to take this one.

Diablos

While I'm looking at Senate races to donate to, can someone explaim why everyone seems to be throwing their weight behind Katie McGinty over Joe Sestak in the PA Senate race?
Everyone being people or politicians?

McGinty is backed by the Clintons I believe.

I also just remembered she was Tom Wolf's chief of staff. She has connections.

Plinko

42%. Are those Trump's highest numbers yet?

Teggy

By the way, this 80 years since a justice has been nominated (not confirmed, because we know that is untrue) during an election year point is total garbage. The last time a justice died during an election year was 1888, so this is not some kind of historical precedent or off-the-books rule, it's just something that has not really happened before.

This is a little more in line with what I was expecting compared to the ARG numbers yesterday that had clinton up by 38.

Basically looks like she's doing to him what he did to her in NH. Still a yuge mountain to climb, but if he can narrow the gap a bit more it won't look so bad.
YouGov has always been Bernie's best pollster. He's up 2 from the end of January, which is probably just noise. I would argue this is Bernie's best case scenario.

Krowley

YouGov has always been Bernie's best pollster. He's up 2 from the end of January, which is probably just noise. I would argue this is Bernie's best case scenario.

Yeah I just saw that.

Still I think there's time to narrow this by 5 or 6 points, particularly with a win in Nevada. The political landscape is a constantly shifting thing, not static (hopefully). Just depends on how entrenched people are.

Yeah I just saw that.

Still I think there's time to narrow this by 5 or 6 points, particularly with a win in Nevada. The political landscape is a constantly shifting thing, not static (hopefully). Just depends on how entrenched people are.

I get hoping your candidate can stage a late turn around. Hell I was convinced Hillary would lose New Hampshire by less than 15, but if a huge win there didn't give Sanders any momentum, nothing else is.

Tarkus

Rubio was the clear winner. Every question he got was knocked out of the park. I expect a jump in the polls for him and drop for BUS TED the liar. Kasich was solid too; I'm starting to like him a lot. A Rubio/Kasich ticket in the GE would mean defeat for either dem candidate.

Cruz was skewered by Rubio and mortally wounded by Trump. "Liar" will now always associated with the slimey bastard.

Trump was being Trump. While he spilled blood, he didn't do so well with the questions and had little actual substance. I did like his PP comment.

Bush did well with questions, however, Trump damn near broke him in half.

Carson...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Krowley

CBS polling has been skewed towards Bernie, I'd expect the actual numbers to be closer to 30% for him right now in SC.

Actually they were pretty much dead on in NH and Iowa. Not skewed.

Their last two polls:

NH - Clinton (38) Sanders (57)
Iowa - Clinton (46) Sanders (47)

Tarkus

Quoting from debate thread:
The fear of Trump is going to quickly lessen once he wins the nomination and then in the general he starts to slide more and more to the middle and to the left on certain issues, just like he already has started to do a little bit. There will of course be people out there with that incredible fear, but it's not going to be anywhere close to what it is now.

Ted Cruz is having a bad morning. Marco Rubio is on FTN right now agreeing with Trump and calling Cruz a liar, then Trump put this out this morning, lol...

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/214989/right-stuff-ted-cruz

WBg1h0t.png

noshten

Actually they were pretty much dead on in NH and Iowa. Not skewed.

Their last two polls:

NH - Clinton (38) Sanders (57)
Iowa - Clinton (46) Sanders (47)

It's more to do with the fact that this particular polls include Independent voters. While others probably don't - this gives Bernie an advantage. We won't find out which pollster will be right but I was talking about the polling average.

The poll is out officially, I find this especially important, especially in light of recent messaging by Clinton.

Generally continue Barack Obama’s policies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45%
Change to more progressive policies than Barack Obama . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50%
Change to less progressive policies than Barack Obama . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5%

Clinton leads AA in that poll 73/26. That's where Bernie needs to continue making up ground.

What indicates a problem for him is that 0% of Black voters in that poll indicated they "were not too strong" about their choice of candidate and only 5% said they were "somewhat strong".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom