• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The downplaying of the importance of foreign policy in that OT thread is amazingly ridiculous
Not coming from this Bernie supporter, the one who made the OT.

Also, I felt like this debate has solidified my opinion that Hilary would eat Rubio alive in a debate. Jeb, Christie, Kasich and even Cruz could at least challenge her, but Rubio would look like a boy in her presence.

(The last Republican debate really soured my opinion of Rubio's debate skills)

Kangi

Also, I felt like this debate has solidified my opinion that Hilary would eat Rubio alive in a debate. Jeb, Christie, Kasich and even Cruz could at least challenge her, but Rubio would look like a boy in her presence.

Seeing how well she performs in these primary debates time and time again makes it scary to think of what happens when she takes her gloves off. She and Bernie are love tapping each other in comparison to what she would do with foam boy.

I just don't get it. I'm pro Hillary, but like I said, I'm 100% team Bernie if he wins the nomination and will work for his campaign here in Virginia. What I saw tonight was absolutely shocking to me. Yes he was poor on foreign policy in previous debates, but tonight was almost Palinesque IMO.

Both? Well, all the details is probably excessive. No one expects him to best a former Sec State on foreign policy. But this isn't the first debate now, his answers just make it seem like he doesn't particularly care about it - and that's the generous interpretation.

And really it's a part of the job in which the President arguably has more discretion and can get more done.

Allard

The downplaying of the importance of foreign policy in that OT thread is amazingly ridiculous

Not following that OT thread much, but if there is one topic of debate that the commander and chief of the military should have a plan of some type, its foreign policy. I know its not his strongest focus especially not during the democratic primary, but it is the one substantive thing the president can influence that can bypass congress in most cases, that and judicial nominees. Going forward if he can't show doing homework on the subject and if he becomes the nominee in the GE he is going to get savaged for it. Its like the one thing that independents had held against Democratic candidates for years (for better or worse) that you have show some competency as a front much less as your job.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I just don't get it. I'm pro Hillary, but like I said, I'm 100% team Bernie if he wins the nomination and will work for his campaign here in Virginia. What I saw tonight was absolutely shocking to me. Yes he was poor on foreign policy in previous debates, but tonight was almost Palinesque IMO.
I wonder if O'Malley not being there made it more evident. He looked like a deer in headlights. Ugh!

East Lake

Both? Well, all the details is probably excessive. No one expects him to best a former Sec State on foreign policy. But this isn't the first debate now, his answers just make it seem like he doesn't particularly care about it.

And really it's a part of the job in which the President arguably has more discretion and can get more done.
That's what advisors are for though. If I was going to weight my concern over FP it be 90% judgment, 10% knowing the details.

Kangi

I kind of missed O'Malley tonight. It just being the two of them does open the door for more contrast and more lively debates, but I miss watching him desperately vie for questions to come his way. Any time things got heated, he'd be there trying to mediate so he could awkwardly segue into a talking point.

R.I.P. Governor Abs "Government coming in your back door" O'Malley. May you one day find yourself in Hilldawg's cabinet.

I think Christie might be the worst person to debate Hillary on the Republican side.

Christie: "I will beat the shit of you, Hillary Rodman Clinton."

Hillary: "..."

Christie: "... That came out wrong, let me start again.... Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Great debate. Though Hillary had a couple of overly heated moments, and I could hear the anguished cries of Bernie's campaign team when he kept getting asked foreign policy questions.

"No" was the best moment of the night. They both pushed that bait right back in MSNBC's faces, and that moment of her genuine smile could've ended the whole debate.
what happened with "No"? didn't get to watch

His answer on the AUMF 2001 and the current state of Afghanistan, his answer on relative threats; there was another question where he randomly pivoted back to Iraq.

On overall assessment of the segment on foreign policy his performance was quite awful. I don't think anyone watching that segment thought he came out of it well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The moderators brought up some small and technical thing about the internal file name of one of Bernie's campaign ads. When Clinton was asked if she'd like to comment she just said "no". It really wasn't worth dignifying with any time

Iolo

I haven't seen the debate yet, but you sure he wasn't referring to the past dictators in the line of succession? There's only been three.

he said something like "North Korea is run by a handful of dictators, or maybe one"

this was right after he was asked to rank North Korea, Russia and China in terms of threat priority, and answered "ISIS"

What about when Chuck Todd was hitting him on his lack of foreign policy gravitas, and his reply was that he gave a speech at Georgetown once...

Kangi

The moderators started asking Hillary about her e-mails. They then asked Bernie about his stance on them, and he re-iterated that his stance is the same as it was in the first debate: that he would not politicize it.

He was then asked about issues within his campaign, including the data breach, impersonation of workers, and falsely claiming an endorsement was received by a newspaper(?). He talked about the first two and refuted the third, saying that their content never called it an endorsement, and the internal title labeling it as such wasn't meant to be shown publicly. The moderators asked Hillary if she would like thirty seconds to respond to his claims, clearly dangling bait for her to attack him over, and she returned the favor over the e-mails with a kind but firm, "...No."

Iolo

I found the transcript.

TODD: Alright, as Commander in Chief, Senator Sanders, you've got to prioritize potential threats to the United States. Three countries, North Korea, Iran, Russia. How would you rank them in order of their threat to America's security right now...

SANDERS: ... ISIS...

TODD: ... Starting with the biggest threat.

SANDERS: ISIS, you forgot one...

TODD: ... I didn't say that...

SANDERS: ... No, no...

TODD: ... No...

SANDERS: ... ISIS would be ...

TODD: ... We already had that. I'm talking about these three countries. How would you orient our national security, our national defense posture.

SANDERS: Clearly North Korea is a very strange situation because it is such an isolated country run by a handful of dictators, or maybe just one, who seems to be somewhat paranoid. And, who had nuclear weapons.

Hexa

I found the transcript.

QwDGgnH.gif

Ouch. He needs to brush up on this A LOT.

On further inspection the initial answer to the question about what he would do about Afghanistan is basically identical to his answer in the townhall yesterday on terrorism in general. King Abdullah and all.

I should note, I think Sanders is an intelligent person who could get up to speed on foreign policy; not to Clinton's level but enough that he should perform much better. But it baffles me that he hasn't.

Iolo

To be fair, I think he misunderstood the question at first. He answered pretty quickly once Chuck clarified. Although I'd disagree about North Korea being a big threat.

It's still a good idea to know how many dictators run North Korea, otherwise it makes it look like he doesn't care about foreign policy. He may be able to ignore it in the primary, but he's going to need intensive tutoring on this field unless Trump is somehow the nominee.

By "handful of dictators" I think he probably meant the credible theory that Kim Jong Un is just a public figurehead and that a few select military leaders are the ones actually ruling the country.

Iolo

By "handful of dictators" I think he probably meant the credible theory that Kim Jong Un is just a public figurehead and that a few select military leaders are the ones actually ruling the country.

That's a very charitable interpretation.

And ISIS is not a bigger threat than Russia, China or DPRK. That's a Republican talking point and Obama addressed it in the SOTU.

danm999

I'm going to assume Bernie is talking about how we really don't know a lot about how power is structured in North Korea and it might actually be a military junta with Kim Jong Un a puppet and we only get the full family tree when Dennis Rodman visits.

That's a very charitable interpretation.

And ISIS is not a bigger threat than Russia, China or DPRK. That's a Republican talking point and Obama addressed it in the SOTU.

Not really, it's a common theory as a reason for his swift transition to power after his father's death. The generals took control and then left him in place to maintain stability and avoid populist uprisings and the like.

https://news.vice.com/article/forme...ong-un-is-no-longer-in-control-of-north-korea

I'm not a Bernie supporter even but that's what I assumed he meant when he said that during the debate.

Kim Jong Un is probably executing some poor #2's right now because Bernie thought he was not the one true supreme ruler of Best Korea.

I'm going to assume Bernie is talking about how we really don't know a lot about how power is structured in North Korea and it might actually be a military junta with Kim Jong Un a puppet and we only get the full family tree when Dennis Rodman visits.

That's essentially what I understood as well... but we are in the years of the 24 hour news cycle... so it will be a sound bite.

The rest of the transcript was pretty off base though.

Something that I will admit, Bernie is weak on Foreign Policy... but I only think that's because people like to throw out middle east conflicts and other third world dictator ships as foreign policy... when it should be more about our relationships with our allies, and other super powers as well as foreign aid.

Also...

I think the reaction is negative because his foreign policy talk isn't as nuanced and well cited as his domestic discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom