• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Is it just me or are the reactions to the Marcobot "win" pretty tame?
Even politico doesn't seem to be gretchening him, as much

Poor Politico they probably had a bunch of Clinton campaign in crisis and Rubio/Jeb comeback stories loaded up that had to be scrapped.

Not US PolGAF but can someone with an insight to the Irish election please do up a thread, the election is Friday. I'd do it but I'm still a Junior :( I'd even be willing to lend a hand

ivysaur12

Banned
I'd actually be curious to see a poll at how LGBT people are voting in the Democratic primary.

Even more interestingly, who gay Republicans are voting for.

EDIT: LOL

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/02/16/poll-lgbt-people-split-48-for-clinton-41-for-sanders/

In response to a question on which candidate respondents would vote for today, Clinton received 48 percent of the vote, followed by Sanders at 41 percent. The next candidate down was Donald Trump at 2 percent, followed by John Kasich and Marco Rubio each at 1 percent. The remaining candidates each received less than one percent of the vote. Four percent of respondents were undecided.

It will depend on turnout for those states, but a lot of it comes down to non-college white turnout vs latino turnout in those states. I guess the assumption I am making is that Obama was an outlier in terms of turnout and popularity compared to most Democratic candidates. I'm using Gore / Kerry as a baseline - which is an assumption.

[...]

though the rest of your points are pretty solid, I don't know if I'd make that assumption (or rather I don't know if I'd be that pessimistic), entirely because Dem primary turnout's midway between '04 and '08 so far (and not particularly close to the former)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
though the rest of your points are pretty solid, I don't know if I'd make that assumption (or rather I don't know if I'd be that pessimistic), entirely because Dem primary turnout's midway between '04 and '08 so far (and not particularly close to the former)

Yeah. It is absolutely a weakness in my argument - but between using Obama or Kerry/Gore, I guess I'm a little more pessimistic in the DNC (watching their incompetence first-hand for four years probably biases me) and their ability to GOTV. I also sort of think DWS is super incompetent, even for a DNC chair.

dramatis

Not US PolGAF but can someone with an insight to the Irish election please do up a thread, the election is Friday. I'd do it but I'm still a Junior :( I'd even be willing to lend a hand
I'm not sure if there is someone here right now that has enough familiarity with the Irish elections to do a thread on Friday.

If you want, you can make the contents and someone here can post the thread for you.

Demographic shifts alone would have made Kerry's coalition a winning one. Observe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/01/06/the-gops-2016-problem-in-3-maps/

The best-case scenario for the GOP is 2004 performance among minorities and 2012 performance among whites. Even then the only state they gain is Florida.

Kerry's 2004 performance - oddly - produces a smaller win than that, I'd guess because white voters in CO and VA have actually moved left.

Something really dramatic would need to happen for Democrats to fuck this one up.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Demographic shifts alone would have made Kerry's coalition a winning one. Observe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/01/06/the-gops-2016-problem-in-3-maps/

The best-case scenario for the GOP is 2004 performance among minorities and 2012 performance among whites. Even then the only state they gain is Florida.

Kerry's 2004 performance - oddly - produces a smaller win than that, I'd guess because white voters in CO and VA have actually moved left.

That chart is why Rubio / Haley freaking terrifies me.

I'm not sure if there is someone here right now that has enough familiarity with the Irish elections to do a thread on Friday.

If you want, you can make the contents and someone here can post the thread for you.

Yeah I don't mind doing a lay of the land where parties stand. Don't worry USGAF, we have some nutcases here too that'll rival yours!

Personally I think Georgia is in the process towards being the next Virginia while North Carolina in 2008 was a fluke.

Not sure why you say that. North Carolina was 6% more Republican than the country in '08 and 5.5% in '12. Obama just didn't win by as much nationally. NC is also one of the states where the minority population is growing faster. Non-whites are supposed to be 1.5% more of the voting population in '16 vs '12. If Clinton wins nationally by 5% she probably squeaks by in NC.

I'd actually be curious to see a poll at how LGBT people are voting in the Democratic primary.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/02/16/poll-lgbt-people-split-48-for-clinton-41-for-sanders/

Anecdotal but with my friends, it's 50/50 for Hill and Bernie with the oddball Trump supporter here and there.

The bf is on the fence and is a self identified independent and owns a gun (which makes me all hot and bothered). He likes Bernie a bit more but he claims to be truly on the fence. He joked about Trump and I gave him the non-joking stink eye so I think that's out of the question for him.

Adam, you are beautiful to me <3

Hillary bros united forever.

: bro fist :

I'm surprised it's that close, tbh. I bet it's also heavily skewed among age groups. I mean, come November, I'm sure we'll all be aboard the Dem train regardless.

hillary-clinton_8.jpg

Sorry :p

I don't know nothing bout these fancy photoshop machines, anyway someone can make this avatar-sized?

Heh, I just bought this print the other day for a friend and was immediately reminded of it when I saw this poster.

Given Hillary's well documented problem with alcohol I figured it'd be a good opportunity for a quick edit.

H9e1VzH.png

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Given Hillary's well documented problem with alcohol I figured it'd be a good opportunity for a quick edit.

Psh, for all the crap she's been put through, I'm always pleasantly surprised she's not a full blown alcoholic. She has almost super-human discipline and patience from what folks on her staff say.

EDIT: "Inhuman discipline" is what I heard from one of her staffers. Wording used because HRC is a giant Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter fan apparently. Also, both her and Bill apparently watched Jessica Jones in a single weekend binge, and she wants Season 2 quote unquote "NOWWWW. Give me that badass shit."

NeoXChaos

Nate Cohn &#8207;@Nate_Cohn 3h3 hours ago Manhattan, NY
What are the states where Sanders is a clear favorite to do better than Obama? ME/MA/VT/WV/KY/OK, maybe AR. Anywhere else you'd add?

What do you guys think?

I hope Trump's Nevada standing holds...

Jon Ralston was asked how each of the candidates are campaigning in Nevada:

Trump will have to step up his ground game to win this war with Rubio once the republican party starts putting all their resources behind him. . I wish we knew how much was being donated to Trump's campaign on a monthly basis.

Cerium

The biggest thing that concerns me about Trump in the general is the fact that he clearly isn't a homophobe, which might be a first in modern Republican politics. If he decides to make a concerted effort to win some of the gay vote I fear he might have some success.

For a normal Republican any gains you make there would get Evangelicals to turn against you, but with Trump it seems like they'll let him get away with anything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I enjoyed this post-mortem on Jeb's campaign

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/02/jeb_bush_was_not_a_joke.html

But what sealed it for me was Jeb’s backbone. You heard me right: Poor, sweet, pitiful Jeb was the one guy with spine. The only GOP candidate who made it a point to denounce Trump’s worst barbarities. I watched him do it again and again on the trail. “He’s entertaining,” he’d say of Trump, “unless you’re a woman, or Hispanic, or a disabled person. But it’s not so entertaining when you get disparaged.” Or: “It’s not strong to denigrate people. It’s a sign of weakness.”

Of course, those should be obvious sentiments. Any good-hearted fourth-grader knows as much. And yet Jeb stood alone among his colleagues, shouting, “You can’t insult your way to the nomination!” into a pitiless void. The other guys allowed—and continue to allow—Trump’s vile hate to go unchallenged. “The country is angry,” they say. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Trump is questioning Rubio's eligibility now. Haha. Awesome.

----

So a thought on cash flows and burn rates, and how long Sanders keeps going.
I had originally thought that given his fundraising, he was in it for the long haul. I'm less sure now.

Sanders ended January with around $15M cash in bank, having spent around $35M during the month.
He spent $14M on regular media buys and $7M on digital.
About $1M on merchandise.
But only $2.5M on payroll i.e. ground organization.

He's raising a lot though. His January haul was more than $21M. The campaign touted a huge post-NH win haul of about $7.1M. His donor base is also more likely to be legally able to give more (I'm less sure about financially able.)

But the revolution seems expensive so far; if his burn rate has kept up depending upon how much or how little his income has changed he could be eating into his cash on hand further.
I can only assume it's going to get even more expensive if he has to raise his awareness across more media markets and build local presence for the likes of Super Tuesday. In particular, his payroll costs are only about 60% of Clinton's.

A drought of wins will, I imagine, dampen incoming cash flow.

So how sustainable is this? Does he need to start holding high-dollar fundraisers - who will go, Susan Sarandon?

Makai

Tibbetts told the Globe that he had helped Jeb Bush sew pajama pants belonging to a smaller boy shut so that the boy could not wear them.

Bowdz

Trump is questioning Rubio's eligibility now. Haha. Awesome.

----

So a thought on cash flows and burn rates, and how long Sanders keeps going.
I had originally thought that given his fundraising, he was in it for the long haul. I'm less sure now.

Sanders ended January with around $15M cash in bank, having spent around $35M during the month.
He spent $14M on regular media buys and $7M on digital.
About $1M on merchandise.
But only $2.5M on payroll i.e. ground organization.

He's raising a lot though. His January haul was more than $21M. The campaign touted a huge post-NH win haul of about $7.1M. His donor base is also more likely to be legally able to give more (I'm less sure about financially able.)

But the revolution seems expensive so far; if his burn rate has kept up depending upon how much or how little his income has changed he could be eating into his cash on hand further.
I can only assume it's going to get even more expensive if he has to raise his awareness across more media markets and build local presence for the likes of Super Tuesday. In particular, his payroll costs are only about 60% of Clinton's.

A drought of wins will, I imagine, dampen incoming cash flow.

So how sustainable is this? Does he need to start holding high-dollar fundraisers - who will go, Susan Sarandon?

My thoughts as well.

That January spending number is insane. It is crazy to me that the Clinton campaign has more cash in the bank by a significant margin despite being out fundraised in January. I'm sure he has the ability to keep going for quite some time, but he can't keep that up.

Assuming Trump wins the nomination and loses in a blowout, what does the 2020 GOP bench look like? Cruz Control? Rise of Rubot? Will the conservative electorate send another suicide bomber like Trump?

I want to clarify the discussion a page back about Georgia's chances of becoming a swing state. I'm a Georgian and did a school project on exactly this and the results don't look optimistic. There are two maps that are very important - the county results for the 2012 general election, and the counties with the fastest growing population:
Notice that every major city is blue but the surrounding areas quickly turn red. Georgia has a "black belt" in the middle which is majority black but rural and very sparsely populated.
Somebody said that metro Atlanta was fast-growing, but it really isn't. That would be the counties surrounding metro Atlanta - and they're generally majority white and very conservative. And guess which counties are losing population growth? The black belt.

But what about Hispanics? It's true that GA has a fast-growing Hispanic population which I believe now makes up over 10% of the state population. But my hunch is that most of them are undocumented workers working on farms in the north for low wages and ineligible to vote.
There's nothing really consistent where the Hispanic population is growing but the clusters in the rural north support my hypothesis.
This map proves Hispanics are, excluding Florida, not a major factor in elections held in the Southeast. Either they're apathetic about voting, not registered, or not large enough in population to sway elections.
The last nail in the coffin for Democrats in Georgia: in every state in the Gulf South whites were unanimously opposed to Obama. Racism is definitely a factor. When you drive up to the north from the Atlanta suburbs, your chances of seeing a Confederate flag get closer to 100%. I don't know if a white Democrat like Clinton would have significantly better chances of changing their minds, but if I was in the DNC, I would spend my least amount of time in states like these.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
At least Georgia is not a gerrymandered mess.

Edit: Oh wait, those are county lines not district lines.

ivysaur12

Banned
One of the reasons why 2000-2010 data may not be helpful is that, % wise, DeKalb County has already outpaced its entire growth from that decade. Fulton County is on pace to almost double its growth from 2000-2010 with 20% growth. That 20% is huge because the raw number of people who live in Fulton is already huge compared to the rest of the state. Fulton probably hit 1 million residents last year.

Urban revival is a huge part of the story from 2010 onward.

Places like Cherokee County are still growing, but at a slower rate than Fulton compared to 2000-2010.

NeoXChaos

Dan Merica &#8207;@danmericaCNN 20h20 hours ago
Julian Castro says he will be in San Antonio watching elections results in November. Doubt that's where he hopes he is watching.

how much money can I make on the Veepstakes?

Tarkus

I want to clarify the discussion a page back about Georgia's chances of becoming a swing state. I'm a Georgian and did a school project on exactly this and the results don't look optimistic. There are two maps that are very important - the county results for the 2012 general election, and the counties with the fastest growing population:

Notice that every major city is blue but the surrounding areas quickly turn red. Georgia has a "black belt" in the middle which is majority black but rural and very sparsely populated.

Somebody said that metro Atlanta was fast-growing, but it really isn't. That would be the counties surrounding metro Atlanta - and they're generally majority white and very conservative. And guess which counties are losing population growth? The black belt.

But what about Hispanics? It's true that GA has a fast-growing Hispanic population which I believe now makes up over 10% of the state population. But my hunch is that most of them are undocumented workers working on farms in the north for low wages and ineligible to vote.

There's nothing really consistent where the Hispanic population is growing but the clusters in the rural north support my hypothesis.

This map proves Hispanics are, excluding Florida, not a major factor in elections held in the Southeast. Either they're apathetic about voting, not registered, or not large enough in population to sway elections.

The last nail in the coffin for Democrats in Georgia: in every state in the Gulf South whites were unanimously opposed to Obama. Racism is definitely a factor. When you drive up to the north from the Atlanta suburbs, your chances of seeing a Confederate flag get closer to 100%. I don't know if a white Democrat like Clinton would have significantly better chances of changing their minds, but if I was in the DNC, I would spend my least amount of time in states like these.
You can't tell these people anything. They look at numbers that some whack job published and think it's absolute. The wishful thinking in this thread has always been beyond the stanning of Bern Bros in this regard.

ivysaur12

Banned
Glad to see Mook not making the same Mookstake he made in 2008:

@brianefallon
Depending on outstanding precincts in NV CD-4, Clinton cld emerge w/ +5 delegates (20-15). That wld give her overall delegate lead (52-51)

HOW ARE THERE OUTSTANDING PRECINCTS OH MY GOD THIS WAS YESTERDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom