• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons why 2000-2010 data may not be helpful is that, % wise, DeKalb County has already outpaced its entire growth from that decade. Fulton County is on pace to almost double its growth from 2000-2010 with 20% growth. That 20% is huge because the raw number of people who live in Fulton is already huge compared to the rest of the state. Fulton probably hit 1 million residents last year.

Urban revival is a huge part of the story from 2010 onward.

Places like Cherokee County are still growing, but at a slower rate than Fulton compared to 2000-2010.
We won't know for sure until 2020 when the next census and Hillary's inevitable reelection will occur. It could be hard for a handful of urban counties to outnumber all of the North Atlanta counties and everything else. My county, Cobb, has lots of urban growth but I don't see it changing its R-D gap anytime soon without more enthusiasm from minorities and the youth.

Holmes

how much money can I make on the Veepstakes?
Kaine said something a few days ago to that effect, how he'll be sitting with the rest of the senators during the DNC. I think they're just holding their cards close to their chests. Why would someone say "hell yeah I want to/will be the VP nominee" at this point? Or ever?

Bronx-Man

Banned
how much money can I make on the Veepstakes?

Whoever becomes Hilldawg's VP depends on who wins the GOP nomination. If it's Trump, Cory Booker gets the pick since she would already have the hispanic vote locked up. If it's Rubio, Julian gets the pick to try to stop them from going to Marco's side.

Ecotic

Thanks for the analysis ChoklitReign. As a lifelong Georgian that lines up with how I've always seen the state. Those rich as hell Atlanta suburbs are so conservative. I was in Alpharetta recently and there was nothing but luxury car dealerships as far as the eye could see. I half expected to see Mitt Romney.

ivysaur12

Banned
We won't know for sure until 2020 when the next census and Hillary's inevitable reelection will occur. It could be hard for a handful of urban counties to outnumber all of the North Atlanta counties and everything else. My county, Cobb, has lots of urban growth but I don't see it changing its R-D gap anytime soon without more enthusiasm from minorities and the youth.

No, I'm not saying that destined to become a swing state. More that I think the county's urban attitude has changed, especially in regards to Obama's two best counties in 12. Some of this could be with a larger Hispanic/Latino outreach by the state's Democratic party.

Worth noting that Cobb (which has become a slightly-more-conservative-than-the-state-bellweather) was R+24 in 04, while only R+10 in 08 and R+12 in 12. Closing that margin even slightly could be a white whale for Democrats, but that's their ticket towards GA.

Yoda

uh...what? What kind of definition of "swing state" are we using here?

Florida:

New Mexico:

Colorado:

North Carolina:

Virginia:

Arizona:

Nevada:

http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/distribution-by-raceethnicity/

Even if republicans split white voters 60-40, Blacks and Hispanics can easily put all of these out of reach. The only swing states without a significant minority presence are Ohio, Wisconsin, and Iowa- and 2/3 of these aren't really in play for republicans in the first place. Iowa and Wisconsin will be solidly democratic. Pennsylvania is typically thrown into the "swing state" bucket but its a misnomer- Republicans haven't carried PA in a presidential election since 1988.

The map favors Democrats for sure; but Obama style turnout is still required for Dems to guarantee a friendly map, by this I mean higher than Kerry or Gore.

Playing devils advocate:

The only thing outside a DEM getting hit w/a scandal that could sink them is a massive foreign policy event. This is where Republicans normally win Defacto... but depending on where the event is, if Hillary were the nominee it'd probably help her (FE exp)... unless its in Syria or Lybia, where she'll take the blame w/Obama. If it's Bernie, given how he's really not affiliated w/the party's IR ideology it'll probably not hurt him directly. But as the national conversation changes away from domestic issues, he'd most likely be thrown off his stride (similar to how he's normally "winning" debates until the topic goes overseas) thus giving an advantage to republicans.

Strangely enough I think Trump would fair better at flipping states like PA, than Cruz or Rubio. He'd be able to take free-trade to the jugular in a way Hillary can't due to her previous support of TPP, and Bill's vocal support of NAFTA. The blue collar voters who broke for Obama last time could be flipped. Of course this doesn't change the fact that Florida and a few other states are 100% off limits to him. This is why I don't buy the arguments that Rubio > Trump for the GE. Aside from his last name, how would he appeal to minority voters? His policies couldn't be more anti-minority and they have an obvious alternative.

Finally the republican turnout is still not making sense. I posted about this a few pages back but they are getting sizable increases in turnout. This should NOT be ignored by Dem strategists because the margin in the swing states, even with the demographic edge, isn't insurmountably large. The "I don't care enough to vote" crowd is larger than the voting totals for any major party candidate. IF it can somehow be reliably tapped (Obama did this in 2012 for the mid-western swing states), then a lot of the calculus changes.

Ralston said YESTERDAY he thinks Trump will win by 30 or 35. He is a fucking attention whore like none other.

More publicity == more $$ for him. It's not like anyone is going to ask for his opinion anymore after the Nevada primary.

Assuming Trump wins the nomination and loses in a blowout, what does the 2020 GOP bench look like? Cruz Control? Rise of Rubot? Will the conservative electorate send another suicide bomber like Trump?

It's not like the establishment has done better. Romney got obliterated, so did McCain, Bush didn't win the popular vote in one election, and didn't win the election in the one before that. The evangelical vote is probably fair game to give up. If the bended on social issues, but stuck to their guns on fiscal issues, I could see them OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, eating @ moderate democrats and gaining minorities. Execution is the thing, there is nothing stopping another Trump (assuming he'd lose) exploiting said fissure for personal gain. In the short future if the demographic problem hardens in favor of Dems, Presidential elections might just be off the table. They still control the rest of the government atm (might loose the SCOTUS soon) but in terms of governorships they are doing well.

Holmes

Can anybody avatarize literally any picture from this website: sarah-sole.com (NSFW!)
Sarah_Sole_TrueColors.jpg

I want to clarify the discussion a page back about Georgia's chances of becoming a swing state. I'm a Georgian and did a school project on exactly this and the results don't look optimistic. There are two maps that are very important - the county results for the 2012 general election, and the counties with the fastest growing population:

Great points! You do an excellent job of outlining the ground level challenges that Dems are going to have in making a state like Georgia even competitive. I do think there are reasons for optimism though:

1. As Ivy mentioned, the trend nationwide post Great Recession has been towards population growth in urban areas with less elsewhere. That should help make Atlanta more influential.

2. As you point out, much of the growth in the Hispanic population has come from undocumented workers but they will have children who are citizens. If someone came to work on a farm in north Georgia in 1992 and had a kid in '96 that person can now vote. Its up to the Dems to find folks that like and get them registered.

Your ultimate point that Georgia isn't an efficient place to use resources in 2016, is pretty inarguable but we aren't going to see progress there without putting in time on the ground. I still think states like Georgia and Arizona will eventually at least become Republican leaning swing states similar to NC. The question is will it take 10 years or 30. 2016 should tell us more about that.

Psh, for all the crap she's been put through, I'm always pleasantly surprised she's not a full blown alcoholic. She has almost super-human discipline and patience from what folks on her staff say.

EDIT: "Inhuman discipline" is what I heard from one of her staffers. Wording used because HRC is a giant Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter fan apparently. Also, both her and Bill apparently watched Jessica Jones in a single weekend binge, and she wants Season 2 quote unquote "NOWWWW. Give me that badass shit."
This is amazing. Please don't stop regaling us with Hillary/Barack/Bill stories throughout the campaign.

Regarding the future of electoral politics, it is my firmly-held belief that Democrats' new strength/competitiveness in Southern states (mainly Virginia, Florida and North Carolina) will solidify and those states will become light blue, but this will eventually be offset by GOP making inroads in the Midwest, with Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa consistently voting red and Minnesota, Michigan and Pennsylvania staying blue but by tighter margins.

The key word here is eventually - I believe EVENTUALLY the GOP will moderate on some social issues (gay rights, immigration and climate change being the big ones) and turn towards economic populism, but until that happens Democrats will continue just expanding the map.

ivysaur12

Banned
If Hillary is in 5-6 points in 2016, the DNC should put that on focus in 2020 the way that they have put resources in North Carolina. There's also a chance that Trump causes the temporary collapse of suburban Republicans actually voting in 2016.

But there's really no need to put resources in Georgia unless it looks like it's a complete rout and you want to run of the score on the downticket. But Isakson doesn't even have a real challenger, so why?

Holmes

Psh, for all the crap she's been put through, I'm always pleasantly surprised she's not a full blown alcoholic. She has almost super-human discipline and patience from what folks on her staff say.

EDIT: "Inhuman discipline" is what I heard from one of her staffers. Wording used because HRC is a giant Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter fan apparently. Also, both her and Bill apparently watched Jessica Jones in a single weekend binge, and she wants Season 2 quote unquote "NOWWWW. Give me that badass shit."
This is true, right? I'll start believing it to be true.

ivysaur12

Banned

I missed this. WHAT WHAT WHAT.

HylianTom

Banned
I must say: the time period from the candidates locking-up their nominations to the conventions is underrated for its fun factor. The veepstakes and trying to game-out the math, the moves & countermoves between the nominees, the media hounding potential picks..

Holmes

There's also a chance that Trump causes the temporary collapse of suburban Republicans actually voting in 2016.
I think this'll happen, and it won't be indicative of any real trend. But I definitely see it happening with suburban women, especially middle aged and older Republicans ones. Not so much men. Whenever we see Republicans being asked if they'd vote for Clinton over Trump, the ones that say yes are generally older women. Clinton is not dangerous to them, even if there is an idealogical difference.

If Hillary is in 5-6 points in 2016, the DNC should put that on focus in 2020 the way that they have put resources in North Carolina. There's also a chance that Trump causes the temporary collapse of suburban Republicans actually voting in 2016.

But there's really no need to put resources in Georgia unless it looks like it's a complete rout and you want to run of the score on the downticket. But Isakson doesn't even have a real challenger, so why?
Are you kidding? Suburban Republicans are the most batshit crazed lunatics in existence. Peter Roskam is from the suburb of Chicago where I drive to for work. He was the one grilling Hillary like interrogation in Benghazi hearing. Hell I saw a Ben Carson 2016 sticker last week.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think this'll happen, and it won't be indicative of any real trend. But I definitely see it happening with suburban women, especially middle aged and older Republicans ones. Not so much men. Whenever we see Republicans being asked if they'd vote for Clinton over Trump, the ones that say yes are generally older women. Clinton is not dangerous to them, even if there is an idealogical difference.

Or they just don't vote. It might not matter in most states and won't be the sign of a trend, but is the potential danger of a Trump nomination.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man the knives are out for Sanders already in the mainstream media. From "hillary crumbling, begging for attention" to "black people yawn in sanders' face" within 24 hours at the NYT.

I think Georgia is the next logical target after North Carolina. Mobilizing Atlanta to the point where it could outvote the rest of the state would be pretty extraordinary. Huge African-American population and plenty of liberal whites moving in annually.

Obama targeted Georgia hard in 2008 and only lost by 5%. His campaign completely ignored it in 2012 and that margin only increased to 7%. But Romney barely gained any voters, only 30,000 over McCain in raw numbers. Obama shed about 70,000. That suggests to me that even if Democrats (or maybe specifically Obama) have a low ceiling there, they have a very high floor.

Basically GA is on the same path that Virginia has already taken and North Carolina is in the process of. I believe this is the party's future.

Btw Missouri was the same way - Romney barely gained over McCain, it was just a matter of Obama's voters not showing up since he barely bothered to compete there. Unlike Georgia though he shed like 200,000 voters. I mean don't get me wrong, it was more prudent to spend in the critical swing states in a closer election, but if Hillary is routing Trump in national polls, Georgia isn't a bad investment.

So, I finally watched the clip on Huertagate.

Shilly Betty's tweet was a misrepresentation. No one shouted "English only" at least that was audible among the clamour.

But, the treatment of Dolores Huerta was also shit. There were heckles thrown at her for volunteering. And there was cheering and applause at going forward in English only.

I don't know why Sarandon thought that video made anyone come out looking good.

Man the knives are out for Sanders already in the mainstream media. From "hillary crumbling, begging for attention" to "black people yawn in sanders' face" within 24 hours at the NYT.
I told you. The narrative is "the vultures are circling" and it's going to get worse after Saturday.

I was more of a Golden Girls and The Nanny kid.

When I was 3, I would sing the Golden Girl's theme song randomly. That....that should have been a hint to my parents. I love The Golden Girls. I'm a Sophia....and a Blanche with the raw sex appeal of a Dorothy.

I still believe that Rubio is going to be the nominee.

Rationally Rubio should be the nominee but its hard to see how it happens. South Carolina should have been in the bag for him with support from the entire party and Trump blasting GW Bush in a very military heavy state. Instead he squeaks out second place. Even Nate Silver acknowledges that Rubio's two realistic paths to the nom are:

1. Cruz gets pushed out fairly early, which is hard to see since Ted has a lot of money and the establishment has no leverage.

2. Trump gets a plurality of the delegates but not enough to overcome the super-delegates and they do a brokered convention.

Holmes

When I was 3, I would sing the Golden Girl's theme song randomly. That....that should have been a hint to my parents. I love The Golden Girls. I'm a Sophia....and a Blanche with the raw sex appeal of a Dorothy.
I'm a Dorothy but Blanche is my bae.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think Georgia is the next logical target after North Carolina. Mobilizing Atlanta to the point where it could outvote the rest of the state would be pretty extraordinary. Huge African-American population and plenty of liberal whites moving in annually.

Obama targeted Georgia hard in 2008 and only lost by 5%. His campaign completely ignored it in 2012 and that margin only increased to 7%. But Romney barely gained any voters, only 30,000 over McCain in raw numbers. Obama shed about 70,000. That suggests to me that even if Democrats (or maybe specifically Obama) have a low ceiling there, they have a very high floor.

Basically GA is on the same path that Virginia has already taken and North Carolina is in the process of. I believe this is the party's future.

Btw Missouri was the same way - Romney barely gained over McCain, it was just a matter of Obama's voters not showing up since he barely bothered to compete there. Unlike Georgia though he shed like 200,000 voters. I mean don't get me wrong, it was more prudent to spend in the critical swing states in a closer election, but if Hillary is routing Trump in national polls, Georgia isn't a bad investment.

Exactly. There's no reason for Hillary to spend money in GA and MO unless she's already winning. Missouri seems like a better bet to help Kander, too.

NeoXChaos

Governors that have yet to endorse

Jerry Brown
Kate Brown
Steve Bullock
John Bel Edwards
Earl Ray Tomblin
Daniel Ige

Senators
Harry Reid
Bob Menendez
Jeff Merkley
Jon Tester
Elizabeth Warren

and last but not least
Bernie Sanders

What is holding these guys out?

Cerium

Man yesterday was so great I'm still basking in it.

How? Isn't it nearly impossible at this point? GOP would have to go for a brokered convention.

Not at all impossible, there are a bunch of winner take all states late in the process.

If Trump does really well on Super Tuesday, then it might be impossible.

Georgia is a great example of Trump Republicans - I picture GOP voters in the Atlanta area as less evangelical, religious voters (but there's plenty of those throughout the state) and more middle- to upper-class people who feel disenfranchised and strongly opposed to immigrants taking jobs and free trade.

I never realized that undocumented workers were sowing the seeds of natural-born citizens who could change the ideology of the whole South in 10-20 years. If enough get registered and turn out, Texas and Arizona would easily become swing or even lean-blue states. It's unlikely to have a major push, but Dems have to preserve natural born citizenship by all means.

Since we're looking this far into the future, I personally feel like I would rather have a different GOP that went back to an era when "compromise" and "moderate" weren't bad words rather than 50 years of Democratic rule. The strategies mentioned before would only work if Hispanics and other minorities voted for Dems with the same commitment they do today. Who knows what post-millennial Hispanics will vote for. But I would certainly like to see the Democratic Party regain state and local governments again. If Bernie Sanders is the future of the Dems, I want Republicans to look more like John Bel Edwards and Mitt Romney as Governor of Massachusetts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom