• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

nothing drives me crazier than this nonsense idea that the inmates at gitmo are super-soldiers who can't be safely contained in normal prisons

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
University of Houston faculty being advised to avoid "Triggering" material.

Cb2lPvvUEAArXJF.jpg

And by this, I mean they actively encouraged to censor material and limit teaching time so to give the gun nuts who are now armed on campus less reason to shoot people.

I wonder if this development will show up in the "colleges have their free speech stifled!" comments from Republicans? lol

Students peacefully protesting is censorship, but a culture of intimidation from carrying weapons is just good old America

Diablos

Yeah, that seems like the best option. Especially if they could get Obama in on it to.

Obama/Bernie cross-country midterm campaign trip.
We think alike.

Seriously this is just as important as the presidency if you think about it. If democrats can finally figure out a way to capitalize on voter turnout in midterms the GOP is eternally doomed.

CCS

Banned
It is definitely. :D

Yay, I can chill with you all and watch NV come in. I get off work at 11:00pm EST. I missed yesterday, so I have to make it up this weekend. Ugh. But at least I can watch the results.

Results should be amazing this evening. Think I'll be watching Fox for it.

CCS

Banned
Right... its pointless to compare Sanders unless it's somehow fitting to the narrative you are trying to spin.

What I mean is that I would argue that Corbyn is relatively, roughly as left wing for the UK as Sanders is for the US. That is my point.

New polls are great. Just wish we had gotten one last Nevada poll. I'm still terrified of armies of undecideds carrying Rubio to victory. If he wins tonight he instantly gets the "inevitable" moniker.

Iolo

Wait.

What does that mean that you don't have to caucus to vote?

I assume it's the same as in Iowa where you show up, listen to a couple speeches, then cast a secret ballot. No messy personal interaction or horse-trading required. Republican caucuses aren't like Democratic ones.

HylianTom

Banned
It's like the GOP caucus in Iowa. The Presidential Preference ballot is separate from the rest of the caucus. You can just show up and submit your ballot
Oh man. I did not realize this.

Donald's going to romp tonight, isn't he? Another week of fretting for the party leadership.

His latest tweet:
I am growing the Republican Party tremendously - just look at the numbers, way up! Democrats numbers are significantly down from years past.

NeoXChaos

His campaign is currently advertising in five states, all of which are more than two-thirds white according to the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics: Colorado (80 percent white), Massachusetts (85 percent white), Minnesota (89 percent white), Michigan (72 percent white), and Oklahoma (82 percent white).

Caucus states, including Kansas, Nebraska, and Maine, also tend to be overwhelmingly white. So do later caucus states like Idaho and Utah, where a new poll showed him leading Clinton by 22 points.

==

Sanders isn’t currently advertising in other Super Tuesday states, like Texas or Virginia, and Devine said the campaign is not planning to go on air in expensive media markets like Dallas or Houston. Instead, he said new media spending may more likely be on digital, or be highly targeted based on delegate opportunities.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/how-bernie-sanders-hopes-get-his-goove-back?cid=sm_tw_msnbc

Effect

So Sanders is just outright giving up trying to go for the minority vote? It's not like he really tried to begin with but at least there was the impression he was trying. It seems like he's just washing his hands now. Rather stay with his stump then alter it to appeal to more people. Then complains that Hillary is altering hers.

University of Houston faculty being advised to avoid "Triggering" material.

Cb2lPvvUEAArXJF.jpg

And by this, I mean they actively encouraged to censor material and limit teaching time so to give the gun nuts who are now armed on campus less reason to shoot people.

I wonder if this development will show up in the "colleges have their free speech stifled!" comments from Republicans? lol

my poor father. Now has to worry about triggering those poor english students.

Bernie should take his energy and use it to mount a left wing midterm election drive. Seriously. That could really pay off for Democrats and this country. He's the best one suited for it imo

I hope so. Would be the best thing (in my mind) to come out of this election if your scenario plays out.

Teggy

Oh man. I did not realize this.

Donald's going to romp tonight, isn't he? Another week of fretting for the party leadership.

His latest tweet:
I am growing the Republican Party tremendously - just look at the numbers, way up! Democrats numbers are significantly down from years past.

Donald is mistaking growing with voting. What we've seen so far is the Democrats are winning with new voter registration.

We do appear to be doing that :p

EDIT: Have any of you guys ever seen the video of British politician Michael Howard embarrassing himself completely in an interview, and if you haven't, would you like to? :p
Link I may have seen it on HIGNFY, but I love British politics.

Bernie should take his energy and use it to mount a left wing midterm election drive. Seriously. That could really pay off for Democrats and this country. He's the best one suited for it imo

I've seen no indication he cares about doing something constructive like that, his focus has largely been on himself as an island for quite some time. Say what you will about Cruz but he's been very effective at supporting likeminded candidates and helping them get elected to congress and the senate. Elizabeth Warren has been using the same playbook for liberals and female candidates.

jtb

Banned
Bernie's more likely to campaign for sitting Democrats to be primaried than he is to mount some cross-country midterm campaign. Be careful what you wish for.

effzee

Probably discussed and jokes about a million times but I am still confused as hell on how Carson became a world renowned surgeon. No not his religious beliefs, but he just seems lost and not well prepared at all.

I know I am judging across professions but the figure I see running for President doesn't inspire any confidence as a surgeon whatsoever.

HylianTom

Banned
Alriiiight: according to Ralston {KifSigh.wav}, Kirk Cameron is making robocalls for Carson in Nevada.

And this graphic is making its way around FreeRepublic:
11694909_1113483022004470_2787431421232843440_n.jpg

Effect

I've seen no indication he cares about doing something constructive like that, his focus has largely been on himself as an island for quite some time. Say what you will about Cruz but he's been very effective at supporting likeminded candidates and helping them get elected to congress and the senate. Elizabeth Warren has been using the same playbook for liberals and female candidates.

I've never gotten the impression he cares about helping anyone else in the upcoming election whether he wins or loses the primary. I normally write this off as him not really being a democrat so he really just doesn't give a damn about the party and is just using it. He'll say the right thing in debates but that might be as far as he as he's willing to go.

CCS

Banned
Alriiiight: according to Ralston {KifSigh.wav}, Kirk Cameron is making robocalls for Carson in Nevada.

And this graphic is making its way around FreeRepublic:
11694909_1113483022004470_2787431421232843440_n.jpg

Judging by the pictures of him in that jacuzzi, he certainly does swing both ways.

Oh god, does that make me like Marco Rubio?

Probably discussed and jokes about a million times but I am still confused as hell on how Carson became a world renowned surgeon. No not his religious beliefs, but he just seems lost and not well prepared at all.

I know I am judging across professions but the figure I see running for President doesn't inspire any confidence as a surgeon whatsoever.

Some people are good at their job and not much else. Many people have probably met doctors, lawyers, etc who are great at their job but seem like complete idiots on issues not related to their fields.

Carson's calm nature suggests to me that he'd be the type of surgeon I'd want working on me.

So, I didn't really notice it until today but Rubio has a bit of a lisp. #stereotypes

Also I learned a new word thanks to Ted Cruz. Backpfeifengesicht.
My mother thinks he has dentures.. She has dentures and notices how he's swallowing like he's making sure his bottom teeth are in place so they stay in place.

He needs to outperform hugely if it is close or he ties it only benefits Hillary. Proportional does mean he gets delegates, but so does Hillary and if the Caucasus is close the difference in delegates doesn't change. The last two Caucasuses showed that as long as you remain competitive with white voters you will do decently enough. If there is a sizable electorate that is composed of minorities be it 10-30% remaining competitive with white voters while winning the minority vote should get a narrow victory. Bernie getting floored in southern means it will be virtually impossible to catch up unless he outperforms in big states and white majority states.

Anyone else think that the "participation trophy, everyone-is-a-winner culture" would be a great tack for Trump to use to attack Rubio? Rubio is a young candidate, so it would play well as an attack on his youth, and it would remind everyone that, despite what Rubio claims, he's been doing poorly in every contest so far. It's an attack that's simultaneously popular, insulting to the liberal millennial strawman, and not politically correct, and it reinforces Trump's "winner" branding.

NeoXChaos

Sanders is conceding the South.

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 5m5 minutes ago Washington, DC
Nate Cohn Retweeted Mark Murray
This Sanders spending pattern--piling into CO, not contesting the South--is bizarre

Mark Murray ‏@mmurraypolitics 12m12 minutes ago
Clinton is outspending Sanders in Super Tuesday ad race
Clinton: $4.1M in 11 states
Sanders: $3.3M in 5 states

Nate CohnVerified account
‏@Nate_Cohn
.@mmurraypolitics i mean, it's not a strategy to maximize delegates. that's clear.

Alex Seitz-Wald ‏@aseitzwald 53s53 seconds ago
Sanders wanted a win so badly in Nevada that he never wrote a concession speech.

Cb6fMxEW4AAT1jh.png

Bowdz

So, I'm starting think that Brian Sandoval is the perfect SC nominee for Obama to pick. If he actually got through, he is a fairly moderate right of center nominee with judge experience, but it is the politics behind him that make the choice so amazing. Imagine the GOP not even providing a Republican governor and latino a hearing because they are just in blanket opposition. That would look TERRIBLE especially if Trump continues to dominate the GOP race.

Holmes

They were spending 3x the amount in South Carolina than Clinton and the numbers probably ended up moving in her direction. So yeah, I get it from a financial perspective, but from a delegate and optics perspective it's such a bad move. Nobody needs to ever hire Weaver and Devine ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom