• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why in the hell is he doing this? It's asinine. He cannot let her run huge margins in moderator contested States like Virginia or Texas. Lord. If I'd donated to him if he livid.

Well he could blow her out in Colorado and Massachusetts.

I believe there is NO same day registration in CO, so that is a big road block for Sanders demographic wise. So I doubt there will be a CO blowout.

Mass he may do well but I haven't seen any polling to match what he did in NH yet.

I think he could win Massachusetts, but there is no way her get a double digit win there. Same with Colorado due to no same day registration. So he nets a few more delegates than she does in those states but there is no way he can make up the Georgia or Texas margins. Those wind would be nothing more than optical victories.

Sanders is conceding the South.

Cb6fMxEW4AAT1jh.png

Glad Clinton isn't conceding anything. Blow Sanders out in the South and keep margins respectable in the 85% white states.

Crocodile

University of Houston faculty being advised to avoid "Triggering" material.

And by this, I mean they actively encouraged to censor material and limit teaching time so to give the gun nuts who are now armed on campus less reason to shoot people.

I wonder if this development will show up in the "colleges have their free speech stifled!" comments from Republicans? lol

Jesus Christ this gives a new definition to word "triggered". Who the fuck thinks its a good idea to allow people who are frequently experimenting with drugs (alcohol, etc.) and don't have fully formed brains the ability to carry guns on campus?

NeoXChaos

Nate CohnVerified account
‏@Nate_Cohn
I'm going to give Sanders camp. the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll go on the air in the South later this week. But wow if not.

Mark MurrayVerified account
‏@mmurraypolitics
@Nate_Cohn Our numbers are thru Feb. 28

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 2m2 minutes ago Washington, DC
@mmurraypolitics wow.

Jon Kimball
‏@jonkimball
@Nate_Cohn Waving the white flag

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 2m2 minutes ago Washington, DC
Nate Cohn Retweeted Jon Kimball
This works, whether it's a reference to race or surrender

Holmes

http://www.coloradodems.org/action/caucus-2016

For the Colorado caucuses:

- No same day voter registration at the door.
- Need to have registered as a Democrat by January 4th, 2016.
- No 17 year olds allowed. Need to have turned 18 two months before March 1st to participate.

Even in Sanders' best state of New Hampshire, Democratic voters were essentially tied between he and Clinton when he won by over 20%. It's not going to be a blowout. Clinton also has a good ground game in the state now too.

Bowdz

http://www.coloradodems.org/action/caucus-2016

For the Colorado caucuses:

- No same day voter registration at the door.
- Need to have registered as a Democrat by January 4th, 2016.
- No 17 year olds allowed. Need to have turned 18 two months before March 1st to participate.

Even in Sanders' best state of New Hampshire, Democratic voters were essentially tied between he and Clinton when he won by over 20%. It's not going to be a blowout. Clinton also has a good ground game in the state now too.

Damn son. Can Clinton actually win in CO?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anyone else think that the "participation trophy, everyone-is-a-winner culture" would be a great tack for Trump to use to attack Rubio? Rubio is a young candidate, so it would play well as an attack on his youth, and it would remind everyone that, despite what Rubio claims, he's been doing poorly in every contest so far. It's an attack that's simultaneously popular, insulting to the liberal millennial strawman, and not politically correct, and it reinforces Trump's "winner" branding.

It might strike a chord with voters.

I still think he needs to hammer home the, "See? Look at all the money these PACs and donors are wasting on a guy who barely shows up to work. Talk about welfare!" line with Rubio.

So, I'm starting think that Brian Sandoval is the perfect SC nominee for Obama to pick. If he actually got through, he is a fairly moderate right of center nominee with judge experience, but it is the politics behind him that make the choice so amazing. Imagine the GOP not even providing a Republican governor and latino a hearing because they are just in blanket opposition. That would look TERRIBLE especially if Trump continues to dominate the GOP race.

We don't need a right of center Justice. The republicans have shown not to work with Democrats so why should he concede and put someone like that in the court? Working with them is pointless especially in something that's a lifetime position. If they don't want to approve his nominee, they will be forced to when Hillary takes office.

So the Sanders plan was

1. Win Nevada
2. Hope the momentum carries to reduce Clinton lead in other states, increase lead in Sandera states
3. Win nomination

The alternate path was:

1. Lose Nevada
2. ??????
3. Win?

Devine and Weaver are the shits and Sanders either doesn't realize it or it's too late. (It's too late).

Gruco

Banned
Eh, I kind of get what Sanders is trying to do. He wants to be able to say that he fought to 6-5 states (he won't) so that it looks closer in terms of optics. Even if the delegate counts crush him, there's only a handful in the media who actually get and actively discuss delegate math. Fighting to mitigate delegate damage on super tuesday is a losing battle in the long run. He needs to be able to get to a point where viability/visibility swing things towards him.

Of course, even it it works he's just in terrible shape from a delgate perspective, but if 2008 taught us anything a lost cause on delegates can and will keep "fighting" for months.

CCS

Banned
I reckon Clinton will take Colorado, a lot of the likely voters responding to polling there probably don't realise that they're not going to be able to vote. Which other key states have similar rules?

Eh, I kind of get what Sanders is trying to do. He wants to be able to say that he fought to 6-5 states (he won't) so that it looks closer in terms of optics. Even if the delegate counts crush him, there's only a handful in the media who actually get and actively discuss delegate math. Fighting to mitigate delegate damage on super tuesday is a losing battle in the long run. He needs to be able to get to a point where viability/visibility swing things towards him.

Of course, even it it works he's just in terrible shape from a delgate perspective, but if 2008 taught us anything a lost cause on delegates can and will keep "fighting" for months.

Sanders also could be trying to get a powerful position in Clinton's cabinet or something similar. That's my bet.

Bowdz

We don't need a right of center Justice. The republicans have shown not to work with Democrats so why should he concede and put someone like that in the court? Working with them is pointless especially in something that's a lifetime position. If they don't want to approve his nominee, they will be forced to when Hillary takes office.

I agree we need a more liberal justice, but Sandoval would be incredibly destructive to the GOP. According to sources close to McConnell, his calculus is that the GOP taking a hard stance against Obama plays to their base in the election and if they lose (even if they lose the Senate), they will still have a say in the matter and can get a moderate judge (he is assuming the Democrats won't use the nuclear option on SC nominees). So if that is really his view and the GOP won't hold hearing for any nominee, why not send them a qualified, Latino, Republican Governor for them to butcher to show their truly colors to the world. It would certainly be a gamble though.

Besides, if Hillary wins the election, Obama can withdraw the nomination and say that he is giving the GOP what they want by letting the next President choose the nominee and let Hillary choose someone as liberal as she wants.

gcubed

But Sanders is getting no help in the media. No one is discussing delegate math and they don't have to, they just have to say its over. He got terrible coverage from the NV loss, i doubt losing all but 2 states that are overwhelmingly white is going to help the narrative that he has no chance and that he can only win white voters.

Sanders also could be trying to get a powerful position in Clinton's cabinet or something similar. That's my bet.

I don't think Sanders wants anything to do with Clinton or the rest of the Democrats after this primary run. I think he legitimately wants to win the nomination and that this path is the best his campaign has come up with after the loss in NV.

I agree we need a more liberal justice, but Sandoval would be incredibly destructive to the GOP. According to sources close to McConnell, his calculus is that the GOP taking a hard stance against Obama plays to their base in the election and if they lose (even if they lose the Senate), they will still have a say in the matter and can get a moderate judge (he is assuming the Democrats won't use the nuclear option on SC nominees). So if that is really his view and the GOP won't hold hearing for any nominee, why not send them a qualified, Latino, Republican Governor for them to butcher to show their truly colors to the world. It would certainly be a gamble though.

What if they say yes to the nominees and that plan backfires? Then they can show how willing they are to work with him and it's been Obama's fault nothing has gotten done. Then we are stuck with a conservative judge for decades.

So the Sanders plan was

1. Win Nevada
2. Hope the momentum carries to reduce Clinton lead in other states, increase lead in Sandera states
3. Win nomination

Sanders was always a long-shot candidate. To even get here he had to focus on a couple of key states. Its not a model that they can take broadly the the Super Tuesday states. Turn our Plan B is that there is no Plan B.

Anyone else think that the "participation trophy, everyone-is-a-winner culture" would be a great tack for Trump to use to attack Rubio? Rubio is a young candidate, so it would play well as an attack on his youth, and it would remind everyone that, despite what Rubio claims, he's been doing poorly in every contest so far. It's an attack that's simultaneously popular, insulting to the liberal millennial strawman, and not politically correct, and it reinforces Trump's "winner" branding.
"Media should stop grading Marco on a curve. He didn't win a single state. He's a loser!"

"Media should stop grading Marco on a curve. He didn't win a single state. He's a loser!"

"You don't get to just add your roommates failing test score to yours so you can say you got the best grade in the class, no the person who got an A got the best grade. I'm Donald Trump, putting the A back in America."

Holmes

I reckon Clinton will take Colorado, a lot of the likely voters responding to polling there probably don't realise that they're not going to be able to vote. Which other key states have similar rules?
I don't think many other caucus states are outright closed to Democrats only.

Minnesota: https://www.dfl.org/about-our-party/caucuses-conventions/
- Open to everyone. Voter registration at the door.

Maine: http://www.mainedems.org/page/caucus-faq
- Open to everyone. Deadline to change from Republican and Green to Democrat was February 19th. Independents can register as Democrats at the doors.

Kansas: http://www.ksdp.org/caucus-2016/

Nebraska: http://nebraskacaucus2016.org/

CCS

Banned
I don't think many other caucus states are outright closed to Democrats only.

Minnesota: https://www.dfl.org/about-our-party/caucuses-conventions/

Maine: http://www.mainedems.org/page/caucus-faq
- Open to everyone. Deadline to change from Republican and Green to Democrat was February 19th. Independents can register as Democrats at the doors.

Kansas: http://www.ksdp.org/caucus-2016/

Nebraska: http://nebraskacaucus2016.org/

I see, thanks for that :)

sangreal

Yes, I am surprised he hasn't gone there already -- but he has mostly ignored rubio so that might have something to do with it

Gruco

Banned
But Sanders is getting no help in the media. No one is discussing delegate math and they don't have to, they just have to say its over. He got terrible coverage from the NV loss, i doubt losing all but 2 states that are overwhelmingly white is going to help the narrative that he has no chance and that he can only win white voters.

I agree it won't work, I was only saying that there's a certain logic to it, especially considering the lack of other good options. Although to bolded is exactly why it's important that he concede states as opposed to maximize delegates. Fighting everywhere means losing everything but Vermont and maybe MA or MN. Conceding gives him a "fighting chance" in CO, MN, VT, OK, and MA. If it works, 5-6 is a much better loss than 2-9. Again, I don't think it will work. It's fairly desperate, in fact. But it might be the best of a set of bad options.

Overheard someone at work putting forward his theory that Trump has a VP pact with Joe Scarborough and that's why Joe has been so kind to him. I think it's funny that everytime someone realizes that there's a living person that hasn't been savage by Trump, the immediate assumption is Secret VP Pact.

sangreal

Overheard someone at work putting forward his theory that Trump has a VP pact with Joe Scarborough and that's why Joe has been so kind to him. I think it's funny that everytime someone realizes that there's a living person that hasn't been savage by Trump, the immediate assumption is Secret VP Pact.

The secret VP pact thing is incredibly stupid -- I mean they've already decided he gave it to Palin so how is that supposed to work? But as for Joe -- he was asked about that a few weeks ago and didn't deny he would be interested

http://www.hughhewitt.com/joe-scarborough-donald-trump-whether-joe-s-donald-ts-veep/

Picture of McConnell coming out of that meeting:

800.jpg

“Senator McConnell is extremely committed to upholding his party’s ideals. Though there will be intense pressure to give in, the Senate majority leader is no longer physically capable of wavering on this issue.” At press time, sources confirmed McConnell was gouging his eyes out to avoid even being able to read the name of Obama’s forthcoming nominee.

http://www.theonion.com/article/mitch-mcconnell-has-hands-vocal-cords-removed-prev-52385

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom