• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

He's right next to Cruz and Rubio though. Without the raw data we don't know if they're closed bunched or Trump's way behind. Good to see Clinton and Sanders 1 / 2 though.
He's below Kasich, which is bad (and Nate says they see tons of activity at Kasich HQ, leading them to think this isn't wrong.)

Someone mentioned earlier in the week that Rubio's campaign was reminding them of John Edwards, in that the staff seemed like they were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Certainly makes more sense now.

XenodudeX

Does Trump actually want to be president?

It pretty obvious that he doesn't really give a shit either way. I mean we all knew he was a joke candidate, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Gonna go ahead and say Cruz first, Rubio second, Trump 3rd, and Jeb first

Yoda

It pretty obvious that he doesn't really give a shit either way. I mean we all knew he was a joke candidate, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Gonna go ahead and say Cruz first, Rubio second, Trump 3rd, and Jeb first

Trump losing NH isn't going to happen. I do think if he has a weak margin of victory that people will question his momentum, and thus undermine his polling in the other states, which in turn could cost him points. He may be getting over-sampled in polls, but not by 15 points.

5% yearly growth? Show me the fucking receipts.

His plan spends 14 trillion into the economy. 1 trillion right away into infrastructure which would basically be a massive jobs bill and what liberals have wanted from stimulus since 2008. I think it would clearly boost our output and growth. Not sure if it outpaces inflation enough that he hits 5% yearly though. I would imagine that's why his tax plan is so heavy though. Gotta destroy that deficit spending injection somehow.

I'm skeptical, but this is better than tax breaks cause infinite revenue budgeting bullshit Paul Ryan tries to pass off IMO.

I'm going off the assumption that most of Trump's support are loud but don't bother to vote.
He did come in 2nd in Iowa without spending anything. That counts for something. Also Ted stole Ben Carson's delegates by spreading FUD. Who knows what could have happened if Ben Carson decided not to fly home to Florida to change his clothes.

Iolo

The 'Bernie's economy' thread gives me a headache over how people can give credence to some insanly nonsensical numbers without some detailed proof.

Jeb! projected 4% yearly growth under his plan. It's a simple matter to get to 5% from there. Just 1 more percent.

Krowley

If i'm not mistaken, Trump actually got more votes than any republican ever in Iowa, except for Cruz. IMO it's hard to argue that turnout was an issue for him there.

One thing I hope that Democrats aren't shy about in the general is that the post-2008 recovery has been one of the most Top-Down, pro-business, trickle-down recoveries ever.

Obama probably didn't intend for it to be this way, but it is. Democrats should embrace that he saved the economy but did so by saving big corporations. Most businesses are doing great, job growth is OK, but wages are stagnant. The wealth is not trickling down. It never was going to.

kirblar

One thing I hope that Democrats aren't shy about in the general is that the post-2008 recovery has been one of the most Top-Down, pro-business, trickle-down recoveries ever.

Obama probably didn't intend for it to be this way, but it is. Democrats should embrace that he saved the economy but did so by saving big corporations. Most businesses are doing great, job growth is OK, but wages are stagnant. The wealth is not trickling down. It never was going to.
Inflation is also stagnant. This whole thing is weird/unprecedented.

ivysaur12

Banned
Something lighter:

http://www.theonion.com/article/parallel-world-leaders-meet-washington-interdimens-52291

Parallel World Leaders Meet In Washington For Interdimensional Summit

WASHINGTON—Teleporting via wormhole from points across all of space and time, thousands of parallel world leaders have arrived in Washington, D.C. for this year’s interdimensional summit, sources reported Wednesday.

Organizers confirmed President Obama has greeted heads of state from more than 2,000 alternative realities, a gathering of leaders that includes 139 different versions of himself, a parallel U.S. president Mitt Romney, a pulsing being of pure electrostatic energy, Earth-7491’s King Lyndon B. Johnson IV, and a hooded group of unspeaking figures known only as “the Council.”

The annual talks are expected to focus once again on brokering trade agreements among the parallel worlds, as well as officially admitting the governments of Neo-Pangea and the Corporate States of America, LLC into the group, and confronting the Roman Empire’s continued tyranny across much of the infinite set of possible world histories.

“Though we hail from vastly different cultures, political systems, and laws of physics, today we gather together to address the most pressing challenges of the multiverse head-on,” said Supreme Leader Michael Dukakis, president for life of the Pan-American People’s Republic, giving the summit’s opening address. “We must work together to fight the spread of hyperspatial neuro-pox, address the plight of refugees fleeing those universes that are rapidly contracting to a single point, and find ways to manage our respective Israeli-Palestinian conflicts.”

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's certainly not helping.

Sanders doesn't have digital marketing in a conventional sense, though. The main resource people Googling Sanders come across is FeelTheBern.org (volunteer work), the main digital conference location is Reddit (not done by his campaign and mostly populated by enthusiasts), most of his digital artwork is fan-sourced, his Twitter account actually has less direct followers than Clinton and only dominates her because the amount of retweets from his followers is so high, and so on. Sanders doesn't dominate the internet because he has a good digital marketing team, he dominates the internet because he dominates the demographic that is the most frequent internet userbase and they enthusiastically amplify and contribute to his cause willingly with little or no direction from his campaign.

If Clinton thinks she can win over 18-45 year olds by having a better internet marketing focus, she's putting the cart before the horse. In fact, she might even make things worse if it means trying out things like "use three emojis to sum up your student debt" or when her campaign was trying to make that dreadful Yaas Queen meme work (it didn't). They come across as obviously patronizing.

Hillarys campaign has lost focus in order to damage control the attacks Bernie has set on her integrity.

Just brush it off and go back to the type of commercials and ads she had when she announced. Her first ad was by far her best.

Bill needs to stop going on the attack. How about he gloats about his record and how he helped the economy, created like what, 250k jobs a month and balanced the budget, etc. even with a republican congress at times. Say why Hillary is better suited to recreate that kind of success that he had.

A lot of kids have a lot of nostalgia for the nineties too. Play that shit up or something Ffs. Just be positive. People actually like them and are being overly defensive. They are letting Bernie get to them and not responding well. Stay focused

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillarys campaign has lost focus in order to damage control the attacks Bernie has set on her integrity.

Just brush it off and go back to the type of commercials and ads she had when she announced. Her first ad was by far her best.

Bill needs to stop going on the attack. How about he gloats about his record and how he helped the economy, created like what, 250k jobs a month and balanced the budget, etc. even with a republican congress at times. Say why Hillary is better suited to recreate that kind of success that he had.

A lot of kids have a lot of nostalgia for the nineties too. Play that shit up or something Ffs. Just be positive. People actually like them and are being overly defensive. They are letting Bernie get to them and not responding well. Stay focused

A lot of the demo going for Bernie have next to no memory of the 90's. They were kids when Bush was in office and teens when Obama was in-charge.

Clinton's team thinks she's losing the 30 and under vote to Bernie because her memes aren't dank enough? All Bernie's team does online is post quotes about his policy proposals overlayed on pictures of him. There's no social media wizardy at work there. If Hillary wants to win this demographic she has to reconsider her policies, not the way she advertises them online.

Sianos

listening to conservative family members complain about how unfulfilling the average job is, how they are taken advantage of, and how those who are unemployed despite not searching for a new job say they "don't want another job unless its one that they love" is a struggle

a struggle to not shout "PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR BOOTSTRAPS" and call them lazy "welfare queens", as they are wont to do

they just can't seem to realize that the average person has emotions just like they do and the cognitive dissonance on display is becoming very frustrating

Inflation is also stagnant. This whole thing is weird/unprecedented.

Right. The whole 8 years of Obama's tenure have been the Fed trying to get companies to spend money via low interest rates. The problem is most of the recovered wealth has stayed at the top.

It might not be an optimal GE message, but really Democrats should say that we've been trying trickle down the last 8 years and that it's the Middle class' time now.

The 'Bernie's economy' thread gives me a headache over how people can give credence to some insanly nonsensical numbers without some detailed proof.

if you take the burden off the employers as it pertains to healthcare, health insurance.....

think about it

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On a different note, someone on another forum kindly pointed out that I had NH's delegate distribution wrong - it's split 8 each for the districts and then 8 by the state-wide vote, rather than just 12 between the two districts (they actually gave me a full resource for how each primary state does it, which is fun because trying to work out from state party documents is both tedious and not straightforward). So the bar Sanders needs to meet is a 12.5% lead, not an 8.3% one. On the other hand, that would probably net him 15-9 (going 5-3, 5-3, 5-3); so overall I think that's actually better for him than I initially thought because 15-9 is easier to get under this than under the two-district system I thought NH had and honestly if he doesn't take a 12.5% lead this race isn't worth talking about anyway.

Looking ahead to South Carolina, for those interested, I've noticed something I didn't expect at all. The delegates awarded are 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 9, 6 for the 1st, 2nd, ..., 7th South Carolina districts, and then 18 for the state. However, all four of the 5, 5, 5, 5 districts are actually majority white, even on the Democratic side - most of South Carolina's black voters are in the 6th district (SC's only Dem district under Clyburn). If Sanders does well with whites (something like 64-36 loss overall with a 55-45 win among white voters), it's quite plausible he could go 3/5, 3/5, 3/5, 3/5, 3/6, 3/9, 3/5 and then 6/18 for the state, thus coming out with 27 delegates to Clinton's 32. That would be an absolutely fantastic result for what you'd expect to be his second-worst state.

In other words, he has the opposite of the problem he did in Iowa - in SC, you'd expect his support to be finely distributed compared to Clinton's, and the system rewards spread over depth. Obama didn't have Clinton's problem because he mixed white liberals with blacks, but Clinton mixes white moderates with blacks, and Democrats in very Republican seats tend to be more ideological, not less and so Obama had a spread that Clinton doesn't - Clinton's white moderates are more likely to be in the same districts as what is currently her black firewall.

I get that, but participating in a debate, no matter how good a candidate is, always leaves one open to risk of a bad moment.

I'm probably being a bit too cautious, but probably because I still think she has this in the bag once Tuesday is over.
So many of them to lose, too.

Falling back on 9-11 to defend Wall Street contributions was the first that stuck out. 'Artful smear' backfired. 'I'll consider it' re: speech transcripts.

In other words, he has the opposite of the problem he did in Iowa - in SC, you'd expect his support to be finely distributed compared to Clinton's, and the system rewards spread over depth.

Bernie's running not for delegates, but against the narrative of Clinton being the nominee. If he can't change the narrative by Super Tuesday, he's toast.

If i'm not mistaken, Trump actually got more votes than any republican ever in Iowa, except for Cruz. IMO it's hard to argue that turnout was an issue for him there.
Exactly, I hate how people are pushing this narrative. He legitimized his poll numbers when he got over 40,000 votes in a Iowa caucus system where he didn't even know what a ground game was.

fantomena

In the eyes of the nordic countries, Hillary is a super conservative or a right-winger and Bernie is a centre-left-ish, maybe more centre-right-ish.

That's how far right US is.

Every single person Ive talked to in Noway supports Sanders, even the right-wingers.

Hillary is way better than a republican, but Hillary is too right-winged for my tastes.

So in the eyes of nordic countries, Hillary is not a progressive at all. So when people are talking about how progressive Hillary is I really hope it's just in the eyes of America.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bernie's running not for delegates, but against the narrative of Clinton being the nominee. If he can't change the narrative by Super Tuesday, he's toast.

Sure, but delegates are part of the narrative. If Clinton gets only 5 more delegates from her second best state, that changes the narrative.

Clinton's team thinks she's losing the 30 and under vote to Bernie because her memes aren't dank enough? All Bernie's team does online is post quotes about his policy proposals overlayed on pictures of him. There's no social media wizardy at work there. If Hillary wants to win this demographic she has to reconsider her policies, not the way she advertises them online.

Needs more vines of Hillary chillin' in Cedar Rapids.

Iolo

Sure, but delegates are part of the narrative. If Clinton gets only 5 more delegates from her second best state, that changes the narrative.

If delegates were part of the narrative, Bernie would have lost before voting started.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They're going to be releasing the vote totals, I guarantee you those will be what's up on CNN's big board as the top number everyone sees.

dramatis

In the eyes of the nordic countries, Hillary is a super conservative or a right-winger and Bernie is a centre-left-ish, maybe more centre-right-ish.

That's how far right US is.

Every single person Ive talked to in Noway supports Sanders, even the right-wingers.

Hillary is way better than a republican, but Hillary is too right-winged for my tastes.

So in the eyes of nordic countries, Hillary is not a progressive at all. So when people are talking about how progressive Hillary is I really hope it's just in the eyes of America.
Yes, yes, we know, Norway this, Norway that.

You've been told this but clearly you're still a little behind: Bernie Sanders is running for US President, not for president of Norway. It doesn't matter if Hillary is too right wing for your taste or the taste of the people around you, or for the Nordic countries. What the candidates have to work for is the votes of Americans, and therefore what defines 'progressive' in this race are Americans.

So tell us what you know about the American primary battlefields, the American general election swing states, and the American population and political center.

A lot of the demo going for Bernie have next to no memory of the 90's. They were kids when Bush was in office and teens when Obama was in-charge.
Right but it's probably a better tactic to win over some of the under 30s than they are currently deploying. I think Bill explaining the past problems and how he dealt with it will sit better with people who are too young to remember it

It's really not part of the narrative to anyone outside those of us who love this shit. Hillary won Texas in 2008, yet technically lost because Obama got more delegates. That was not the story that was told.

If delegates were part of the narrative, this would be over, because Bernie has a (probably) insurmountable super delegate disadvantage.

PBY

Banned
2016 New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - Trump 28%, Kasich 17% (Gravis Marketing/One America News 2/7)

1) 2016 New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary
Asked of 705 likely voters - republican
Jeb Bush (R) 14%
Ben Carson (R) 3%
Chris Christie (R) 6%
Ted Cruz (R) 11%
Carly Fiorina (R) 5%
John Kasich (R) 17%
Rand Paul (R) 1%
Marco Rubio (R) 15%
Rick Santorum (R) 1%
Donald Trump (R) 28%

trumpeyebrows.gif

Glenn Greenwald is dismissing sexist attacks against Hillary in 2016 by saying that... feminists also said Hillary faced sexist attacks in 2008...?

The feminists he's attacking are not amused.

https://twitter.com/rtraister

I actually bothered to go to his feed and read what he had posted recently to see if i had missed anything, but.... the dude limited himself to linking her article and pointing out that it isn't the first time she wrote on the topic. Then, according to the timelines, she took that as an attack. Which... i kinda don't get? He never said that her criticism should be dismissed because she had written about it previously.

This is very smart, though:

Word.

Trump is clearly a miser. He won't spend a dime that doesn't have to be spent.

Very common trait amongst wealthy individuals. Very rare trait amongst heirs. Quite fascinating that he has it.

It's ridiculous because he talks about how under budget he is due to all that free advertising. Well anyone with a brain would realize that advertising money should then be allocated to ground game and GOTV operations.

2016 New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary - Trump 28%, Kasich 17% (Gravis Marketing/One America News 2/7)

1) 2016 New Hampshire Republican Presidential Primary
Asked of 705 likely voters - republican
Jeb Bush (R) 14%
Ben Carson (R) 3%
Chris Christie (R) 6%
Ted Cruz (R) 11%
Carly Fiorina (R) 5%
John Kasich (R) 17%
Rand Paul (R) 1%
Marco Rubio (R) 15%
Rick Santorum (R) 1%
Donald Trump (R) 28%