• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Bicameral, federal, with compulsory voting and single member districts all drag it down. New Zealand's constitution is much better, one of the best outside the Scandinavian countries.

New Zealand's does strike me as better but I have to admit I'm a little fond of compulsory voting.

Holmes

Cant tell if this is good or bad for Trump
Not the best news for Sanders, probably a wash between Trump and Kasich.

I think when we get (preliminary) age distribution, we can get a better grasp on where things are so far.

ABC News Politics ‏@ABCPolitics 29s29 seconds ago
NEW: 2/3 of New Hampshire GOP voters favor temporarily banning Muslims who are not US citizens from entry, per preliminary exit poll results

Ugggghhhhhh

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
New Zealand's does strike me as better but I have to admit I'm a little fond of compulsory voting.

I think choosing not to participate is a legitimate form of expression. I could be persuaded in favour of compulsory vote, but I would want there to be clear options to allow voters to differentiate between whether they are not voting for a candidate because they don't have a strong preference between any of the remaining candidates, because they feel insufficiently informed, or because they do not approve of the system - I.e., an option each for "No Preference", "Don't Know" and "Conscious Objection". Otherwise, you're forcing people to express a choice they may not actually prefer or to spoil a ballot which may not be an accurate representation of their choice.

danm999

I think choosing not to participate is a legitimate form of expression. I could be persuaded in favour of compulsory vote, but I would want there to be clear options to allow voters to differentiate between whether they are not voting for a candidate because they don't have a strong preference between any of the remaining candidates, because they feel insufficiently informed, or because they do not approve of the system - I.e., an option each for "No Preference", "Don't Know" and "Conscious Objection". Otherwise, you're forcing people to express a choice they may not actually prefer or to spoil a ballot which may not be an accurate representation of their choice.

You don't actually have to take a ballot, you can simply have your name checked off the roll and leave immediately.

DonaldTrumpPoints.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You don't actually have to take a ballot, you can simply have your name checked off the roll and leave immediately.
I know, I'm Australian by birthplace - I was more noting how there are multiple reasons why people would not vote for a candidate and there is less way to separate those reasons when voting is compulsory.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know that! We never see you in AusPoli by that's probably because it's been boring AF for ages.

I haven't been back to Australia for a very long time and don't follow it so closely politically. Because of my parentage and where I've mostly lived for the last decade, I consider myself mostly European - with some exceptions. Still shed a tear when Rusty retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom