• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Rubio comes in below 4th, I will be the happiest little boy in all the land.

LOL at Bush not even planning a party after the results. Come on Jeb!

kirblar

I can't believe Chris Christie brutally murdered Marco Rubio on national TV and we all just let it happen.
Most disturbing on camera death since Dragon Dragon.

Clinton's campaign does need changes- there are multiple things that they are not doing well (messaging/theme for the campaign, social media) that need to be fixed ASAP.

Wilsongt

The thirst in here for poll numbers.

rubio1.gif

GnawtyDog

Banned
Obama is as as calm, cool, and collected as any politician ever has been while the Clinton's expect victory to be easy.

Pretty sure Bill didn't. He was just a good candidate to fall behind - like Obama. Hillary has very attackable flaws that she has a hard time overcoming - it's really simple.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sanders is going to blow her out and Rubio will get 18% in second and this place is gonna suck so bad tomorrow lol

East Lake

On Haiti's Michel Martelly. [The Atlantic]

He's out, but Haiti is still in for some really rough times.

“Keeping Haiti off the front page is always a concern for U.S. policymakers, and even more so with U.S. presidential elections approaching,” said Robert Maguire, director of the Latin American and Hemispheric Studies Program at George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs. (This is doubly true for the expected Democratic frontrunner; Martelly in large part owes his presidency to Hillary Clinton, who, as secretary of state, flew personally to Port-au-Prince after 2010’s first-round results showed him eliminated from the race, to demand he be put back in.)
Eeewwww.

You might find this interesting (from 2011).

A plane carrying Haiti'sJean-Bertrand Aristide has taken off from South Africa —ending his seven years in exile—despite President Obama's bid to keep the hugely popular but controversial figure away from his homeland until it holds presidential election this weekend.

Aristide, a former slum priest, was twice elected president of Haiti and remains wildly popular among the Caribbean nation's majority poor.
Aristide never completed either of his terms. He was ousted the first time in a coup and restored to power in a U.S. military intervention in 1994. After completing his term he was re-elected years later, only to flee a rebellion in 2004 aboard a U.S. plane. Aristide claimed he was kidnapped.

Aristide has been reclusive in exile, doing university research and polishing his academic credentials with a doctorate awarded by the University of South Africa for a comparative study on Zulu and Haitian Creole. He relaxed by playing table tennis.
Obama was concerned enough about Aristide's possibly destabilizing influence to call South African President Jacob Zuma on Tuesday and discuss the matter, U.S. National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor told The Associated Press. A Zuma spokesman had no comment, saying he was unaware of the call.

"The United States, along with others in the international community, has deep concerns that President Aristide's return to Haiti in the closing days of the election could be destabilizing," Vietor said. "President Obama reiterated ... his belief that the Haitian people deserve the chance to choose their government through peaceful, free, and fair elections March 20."

Aides say Aristide, Haiti's first democratically elected president, fears the winner of Sunday's vote might block his return. In the past, both candidates had opposed Aristide. Now, both Michel Martelly and Mirlande Manigat stress his right to return as a Haitian citizen under the constitution. Both candidates would want to attract votes from followers of the Lavalas Family party of which Aristide still is president.

Haiti's electoral council barred Lavalas from the presidential election for technical reasons that supporters said were bogus. Its members are boycotting Sunday's runoff. The initial Nov. 28 vote was so troubled by fraud, disorganization, instances of violence and voter intimidation that 12 of the 19 candidates including the front-runners initially called for it to be tossed out.

Actor Danny Glover, the chair of TransAfrica social justice forum, came to South Africa to accompany Aristide home. Glover asked why former dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier could return to Haiti unhindered and not Aristide.

"People of good conscience cannot be idle while a former dictator is able to return unhindered while a democratic leader who peacefully handed over power to another elected president is restricted from returning to his country by external forces," Glover wrote on the TransAfrica Forum website.

Bill Quigley, legal Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights at Loyola New Orleans Law School said that "the United States trying to control when any Haitian citizen — especially a former President — can enter Haiti is outrageous." Quigley is among more than more than 100 lawyers from the United States, Europe and Canada who wrote a letter of criticism to the U.S. State Department.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-03-17-aristide-haiti-return_N.htm

We don't want him here...(but he will try the Florida Governorship guaranteed - and probably get it).
Not if Bill Nelson runs, dude would probably smoke anyone on either side. Same with Gwen Graham who would probably just run for whichever office Nelson doesn't go for.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't know if all campaigns are like this, but the Bernie staff will use every bit of their volunteers, even when you tell them you're done, multiple times. After getting my car stuck driving up a hill for an hour and being worn down from canvassing since Saturday, I just couldn't do it anymore today. I came back visibly upset and none of the staff showed concern. After a staffer was rude to me at the rally a couple weeks back I started to wonder if they viewed us as tools: this weekend cermented it.

Heck, they pushed myself and other volunteers to head out knocking despite the polls closing here in 45 minutes. The four of us, two staffers, a staffer's dad and myself drove out only to knock on one door. Now we're heading to the polls to make sure people stay in line I guess?

Meh, I can be emotional unstable, so it might be just me. I find it ironic for Bernie staffers to care more about winning than people because that's how I feel about Hillary. I think they've caught up in their work they choose to or unknowingly ignore the personal aspect of volunteering. I can't see myself doing this again, for personal reasons, and a lack of satisfaction.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Not if Bill Nelson runs, dude would probably smoke anyone on either side. Same with Gwen Graham who would probably just run for whichever office Nelson doesn't go for.

That's an interesting proposition provided we get the open seat Marco is leaving open for the Senate.

Anything that buries this kid from getting that governorship seat to build the experience he "needs" for president.

Somewhat of an aside, but in the event Clinton loses either the primary or the general, who if anyone would be the next woman that could plausibly make a run.

I should probably note, since people will probably bring her up, no I don't think Elizabeth Warren would be plausible.

That's an interesting proposition provided we get the open seat Marco is leaving open for the Senate.

Anything that buries this kid from getting that governorship seat to build the experience he "needs" for president.
Well Dems need Patrick Murphy to win the primary. Alan Grayson isn't going to win shit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The rumour going round right now is that Harry Belafonte is set to endorse Sanders. That, I think, would be big.

dramatis

You might find this interesting too.
Clinton met with the top three candidates at the U.S. ambassador’s mansion in the hills above Port-au-Prince. Then she went to the grounds of the destroyed national palace to confront a recalcitrant Préval.

“That day I realized why she is a great woman and a great politician,” former Prime Minister Bellerive, who was at the meeting, told me. “She said, ‘Look René … I care about you, because you are my only friend there. … What is happening in the international community is that they are making you appear as a little crook that wants to control the elections and put a puppet in the national palace. We cannot accept that. Because, in a way, you are the father of the democracy. You are the only president that was elected two times … that never [fled] the country, that never killed people, that enforced liberty of press. She went into a story I’ve never heard about what President Préval represented and I see that guy—vvvvhh—deflate. And he was not anymore in a fight mood. So my [election files] that I brought were never used. At the end of it, when we separated, I realized that the fight was over.”

How the fuck do you pretty much get Obama's ground game and staff and still fuck it up this bad with all of this bullshit panicking and kneejerk reactions? Like, what?

I'm honestly not sure who is worse at running a campaign, Trump or Hillary?

People don't trust her and she struggles to connect with them. And Clintons run campaigns like establishment republicans in terms of cushy aide job and consultant jobs for people who are out of touch/oblivious/etc.

Expect some Politico hit jobs in the coming days/weeks of former Obama staff taking shots. Imagine if she had better competition, ie someone the DNC could at least accept as the nominee.

NeoXChaos

People don't trust her and she struggles to connect with them. And Clintons run campaigns like establishment republicans in terms of cushy aide job and consultant jobs for people who are out of touch/oblivious/etc.

Expect some Politico hit jobs in the coming days/weeks of former Obama staff taking shots. Imagine if she had better competition, ie someone the DNC could at least accept as the nominee.

didnt she get better as time went on in 08?

East Lake

Hillary Clinton once hoped that Haiti would be the shining jewel of her foreign policy. But far from transforming this poorest of countries, many of the Clintons’ grandest plans and promises remain little more than small pilot projects—a new set of basketball hoops and a model elementary school here, a functioning factory there—that have done little to alter radically the trajectory of the country. Visiting some of their projects over the course of an April research trip affirmed as much about their tenuousness as about the limited benefits they’ve provided. Many of the most notable investments the Clintons helped launch, such as the new Marriott in the capital, have primarily benefited wealthy foreigners and island’s ruling elite, who needed little help to begin with.
Ouch.

She always struck me as someone who really dislikes campaigning and is better at talking about politics and world affairs. In that regard she's kinda similar to the governor establishment lane in GOP. She isn't a natural campaigner like Obama or Bill. But then not many are and it's an unfair standard.

I thought she got more bitter and resentful fighting against an opponent no one beats (the media), and her campaign continued to swirl in chaos between Bill and her having different strategies. The primary map became more favorable for her though.

She's a really good debater and understands the issues. I just get the impression she is Nixon incarnate in terms of being paranoid to the point of simply being ineffective with people. People outside her circle, I mean.

Roberts' heart ran out of liberal fucks to give.
Liberal heart stops bleeding.

Really what it comes down to is Roberts not willing to wholly shitcan democratically passed legislation and throw the insurance industry into chaos for lulz and Kennedy having a soft spot tor gay rights. It just so happened that last year those two issues came up in the same term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom