• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

No it isn't, we saw a Trump surge and were all hoping, every single one of us, that Trump could pull it off.
Trump went into Iowa late, he had been told to skip it, the poll results gave him hope, but the caucus structure and the religious nature of the Iowa electorate were always going to trip him up. The polls were up, but trying to read into those was a very bad idea given the state's history in the GOP w/ Santorum/Huckabee. It was possible he'd take it, but it wasn't likely.

NH being a primary, the polls are likely to be much more accurate.

So despite being a former Sec of State, running as Obama's heir apparent, and hiring multiple Obama staffers...Hillary is performing worse than she did in 2008, overall. Winning Iowa by .25% and apparently losing NH by 20% are unacceptable given the advantages she has.

kirblar

So despite being a former Sec of State, running as Obama's heir apparent, and hiring multiple Obama staffers...Hillary is performing worse than she did in 2008, overall. Winning Iowa by .25% and apparently losing NH by 20% are unacceptable given the advantages she has.
She doesn't have a message for her campaign other than "I'm Hillary Clinton". It's a huge branding problem.

Are those advantages in an anti-establishment environment?

Well, there was a write-up in The Economist that somewhat succinctly captured part of her woes.
Of the checks on executive power in the constitution, perhaps the least needed is the amendment limiting presidents to two terms. Americans often invest sky-high hopes in those they send to the White House, choosing someone they believe will correct the flaws of a now-despised predecessor. After their first terms, presidents seeking re-election are frequently helped by the trappings of office. But after eight years the mood sours: Americans then long for change, and for someone younger, more competent or less mired in scandal.

The rules of presidential politics have never been applied to someone quite like Hillary Clinton. In the public eye for decades as a First Lady, senator, unsuccessful presidential candidate and then secretary of state, she is neither a serving world leader nor a fresh face. Mrs Clinton risks finding herself an unhappy hybrid: a candidate weighed down by all the disadvantages of incumbency, while enjoying rather few of the benefits.

Her message is that she'll keep on Obama's path essentially; which would probably work much better for an incumbent. For the most part, Democrats like Obama, they like what he's done, they want to continue it. But it doesn't seem like a compelling message for anyone but Obama.

XenodudeX

Honestly at this point I think I'll be voting Bernie when the FL primary comes around. Hillary clearly doesn't know what shes doing. No fucking compelling campaign message whatsoever

PBY

Banned
T67NQsm.gif

kirblar

Her message is I am Obama's 3rd term. I'm perfectly fine with that.
She needs to have something proactive in there. She needs a campaign slogan.

Bernie isn't actually a threat (again, it's all downhere from here) but he's exposing real problems that they need to deal with before the general.
Yeah, but doesn't seem to be selling it well.
She's not a salesperson. It's her huge weakness as a candidate.

PBY

Banned
Dave Wasserman @Redistrict
Breaking: so far, if there's a breakout 2nd place GOPer, looks likely to be Kasich. He's won several wards in Concord & Lebanon. @FITN

3-2-1 not for robots

Owzers

Dave Wasserman @Redistrict
Breaking: so far, if there's a breakout 2nd place GOPer, looks likely to be Kasich. He's won several wards in Concord & Lebanon. @FITN

3-2-1 not for robots

It was a countdown after all, very familiar for robots.

The Republican primary is going perfectly. All the establishment candidates are close enough that none of them other than Christie will drop out before Super Tuesday.

Chichikov

Okay that is important, when is trump is likely to make his speech you think?
I need to head somewhere and I want to make sure this doesn't happen when I'm we're in a taxi, BECAUSE I HAVE PRIORITIES!

I just got the NYT notification that Trump won the primary and was overwhelmed by the sensation that someone stepped on the wrong butterfly fifty million years ago.

Kyosaiga

Banned
All right. When will Hillary take the gloves off in the debates? Because rewatching her vs Obama....

She could've easily stole his soul the way Christie did Rubio, yet she chooses not to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom