• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that term "staunch the bleeding" . It's not an accurate term to describe the problem Trump and the GOP party leadership have, 'massive organ failure' would be a better metaphor.

As expected:

Nothing will really change, GOP in total paralysis.

Yup. This is why all the talk of forcing Trump off the ticket was never going to amount to anything even if there were time to pull it off. They're all terrified of his base. Frankly they deserve it for cozying up to a dangerous man because they thought it would help them get reelected. I'm hoping they get the worst of both worlds and his base blames them for not supporting him enough while moderates blame them for being too close to Trump.

Slacker

1280.jpg

I can't figure out what's supposed to be funny or what if anything is the comment here.

My favorite parts of the debate:
Trump breaking with Pence on Syria then saying they haven't talked (has he been asked about this yet?)
Trump saying Hillary never quits after harping on her lack of stamina all year

Just some random musing about the debates: I think people get too caught up in the idea of evaluating debates on "points" or how the pundits characterize it. What's more important is what each campaign needs to get out of the debate and how well they accomplished that. You could see this in responses to the VP debate that said that Kaine did poorly but the debate would end up helping the Clinton campaign. Sure, he may have lost on points, but that doesn't matter. The campaign accomplished their objective of damaging Trump. As far as I'm concerned, that makes Kaine's performance good.

Same thing here. I don't really care if the media says Trump "staunched the bleeding" or whatever. He needed to make up ground and instead catered entirely to his base. He's losing and this debate did nothing to change that. And I seriously doubt anyone is going to be swayed by some talking head saying Trump righted the ship. What's going to last from this debate is Trump saying he'd jail Hillary and doubling down on "locker room talk."

Yeah, the headlines have not been kind to Trump here. Fucking Karl Rove on Fox this morning was saying that Trump really only appealed to his base and Hillary appealed to moderates with her bipartisan talking points. KARL ROVE said this shit. That debate was awful for Trump.

Yeah, the headlines have not been kind to Trump here. Fucking Karl Rove on Fox this morning was saying that Trump really only appealed to his base and Hillary appealed to moderates with her bipartisan talking points. KARL ROVE said this shit. That debate was awful for Trump.

I think my favorite talking point is an insinuation that Trump had a good debate because he said stuff that appealed to his base as if that's what he should be doing right now.

Revolver

McCaskill wasn't, she had to sit in the stands.

That's what I thought. I figured she was lying.

Donald Trump’s campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said Monday that the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates “thwarted” their attempt to put women who’ve accused President Bill Clinton of sexual assault in the the GOP presidential nominee’s V.I.P. box at the second debate.

“I was surprised that they thwarted that because of course it did not say family box. It said V.I.P. box and of course in the Clinton box, they had invited Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri,” Conway said in an interview on “CBS This Morning.”

“They threatened to have security remove the women,” she added. “I thought that was unfortunate because Mark Cuban got to sit where he wanted to sit.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kellyan...-attempt-to-seat-clinton-accusers-in-vip-box/

Complaining that there hasn't been enough policy discussion in these debates is like complaining that there weren't enough exciting volleys in a match between Andy Murray and a seventh grader. You kind of need two to tango.

Bowdz

To everyone wanting a complete knockout blow from Clinton, remember that this was in a townhall. Part of the reason Clinton won was because she was actually answering questions and taking *a higher road compared to Trump. The Keepin it 1600 crew touched on multiple times how hard it is to hit hard in town hall settings and it is part of the reason why Trump lost bigly.

I can't figure out what's supposed to be funny or what if anything is the comment here.

In general, the Onion's editorial cartoons are a lot funnier if you understand Stan Kelly as a character and follow what all the cartoons over the years have revealed about him. That and the way they mock all the conventions of hack editorial cartoonists.

ezrarh

One of my co-workers this morning that she loves the idea of Trump jailing Clinton.

Her father was a Vietnamese general who was secretly imprisoned by the Vietcong for more than 10 years. This discourse is acceptable to her and she sees no parallels.

Oh god...my dad was an officer in ARVN and he had to go to prison for about a decade after the war. Too many of my people still favor the Republicans for their out of date "anticommie" stance. Trump and his supporter's fascist tendencies are highly worrying - which just confirms that their talk of freedom and all that is bullshit. Fortunately the demographic trends are favorable but still - it's very unsettling.

I think my favorite talking point is an insinuation that Trump had a good debate because he said stuff that appealed to his base as if that's what he should be doing right now.

I mean, that's just indicative of his entire campaign, isn't it? He's good at rousing people who would die for him, but he barely makes any effort to expand his appeal. That's going to be what kills him. Nobody to the left of crazy feels comfortable going out to the polls for him.

I don't think you can really deal a "knockout" blow in this kind of partisan environment. I do think that this was a very weird town hall debate where the moderators were a lot more involved, and Hillary might not have been as prepared for that. But the reason for that is that Trump has to be moderated or he'll just give his stump speech on stage.

It's a common mistake people make when talking about Trump. Nearly every damaging story about Trump attracts comments like "this isn't going to hurt him with his base" as if that matters. Trump's base was enough to win the Republican primaries against a split opposition. It's not even close to enough to win a general election.

That's the whole point of Onion political cartoons. They skewer the entire artform and have now, in this one, worked in a storyline of how the cartoonist is in love with Chelsea Clinton and is using his "powers", as a fucking POLITICAL CARTOONIST, to woo her.

It's a culmination of years of these gags.

Amir0x

Banned
Lol @ Berman CNN hosts sarcastic question to panel.

"So last night a piano did not fall on Donald Trump during the debate, is that enough to right the ship?"

sazzy

cnn is being mean to donald

"mike pence did not defect and a piano did not fall on top of trump last night so I guess we can call it a good day for the campaign."

Clearly, Stan Kelly needs to add more labels to his political cartoons so that people can understand them

I'm not sure which is my favorite. The completely literal labels (e.g. children labeled "our precious children"), the labels that make an assertion with no explanation (e.g. the grim reaper labeled "public transportation"), or the multilabels using parentheses or arrows (e.g. "no good clerk (old hag)").

Bowdz

Swing state Dems need to be HAMMERING all of the Republicans who haven't unendorsed Trump yet. "You say you denounced Trump's comments, but here you are, STILL supporting a man for president who brags about sexually assaulting women."

Any new polls out this morning?

Rass +7, which means to me that Rass might be in the tank for the establishment GOP, trying to give traction to a "we must do something!' narrative. Rass has a couple of more weeks before he'd normally stop putting his polls through an easy bake oven before release.

BREAKING-- @SpeakerRyan tells house republicans he won't defend trump and will focus the next 29 days on keeping the house majority.

Ryan's razor-given any explanation for his behavior, assume Paul Ryan is doing the most cowardly thing possible.

Boke1879

This most certainly is going to be talked about and Trump will no doubt start attacking the establishment. This is delicious.

All Trump has to do is focus on Clinton, but all this shit makes it impossible for him not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom