• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

It seems to me that the question that needs to be answer is where is the cutoff? How far do we have to go when saying 'You need a license and must perform background checks' for gun sales? Is it someone who only even just sells one or two guns at a gun show? What if they were to just sell two of their own guns somewhere completely different? How hard do we enforce these laws and what's the bare minimum requirements for someone to require these regulations. I want to follow that up by saying I'm in favor of much stricter gun control than we have right now, but I think the implementation details of such a law are interesting.

Requiring a license and that everyone perform background checks sounds completely reasonable. If you are just selling one or two, sell them to a licensed dealer, who can then be responsible for doing the check on the end buyer. It's really not that hard.

rjinaz

Is he a stoned slacker

No actually. He does smoke too much, but he has a nice job and a wife and kid.

But he just can't be bothered to take the time to register. In the end I think he just doesn't think what he does matters so he doesn't give a crap.

Slayven

speaking of twitter:

did we post this one? because its a crime if it flew in under the radar

schilling_zpssdgy9m3k.png

How often does he type "Poophole" for the autocorrect to do that?

I had considered people coming out to vote for downballot R without voting for Trump, but I had not considered people coming out to vote for Trump without voting for downballot R.

"Paul, what's that? I smell smoke..."

It's pretty obvious the only worthwhile bit of content Wikileaks had was the DNC stuff. The rest has been junk.

I mean to be fair without the tape the media would have obsessed over these leaks for days. I can't even imagine how bad it would have been during pneumonia gate. Just shows how big of losers Russia and Assange are

Why would we need a limit? If you need to sell a gun, sell it to a vendor or a licensed buyer. The fact that any felon, terrorist, etc., can just message someone on Craigslist and grab an AR15 is petrifying, to be frank.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just posing the hypothetical problems I see people come up with. 'Well now it's illegal to sell a gun to my friend!' kind of things. I do not think anyone should just be able to buy a gun without a background check either. I'm just wondering what the actual policy is behind 'close the gunshow loophole' because it feels as specific as me saying 'I'm going to lose weight by eating better'. It's a good idea, but how do I execute on it? Do I cut back on portion size? Do I change the kind of food I eat in general? Basically I'm just looking for specifics.

Grief.exe

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just posing the hypothetical problems I see people come up with. 'Well now it's illegal to sell a gun to my friend!' kind of things. I do not think anyone should just be able to buy a gun without a background check either. I'm just wondering what the actual policy is behind 'close the gunshow loophole' because it feels as specific as me saying 'I'm going to lose weight by eating better'. It's a good idea, but how do I execute on it? Do I cut back on portion size? Do I change the kind of food I eat in general? Basically I'm just looking for specifics.

It's actually an extremely easy process and it exists already, it's called an FFL dealer. Essentially you give your gun to an FFL dealer, the person buying the weapon applies for the background check, and the FFL dealer completes the transaction on the behalf of the seller if the background check passes.

This is how you purchases new weapons online currently, the dealer ships to a local FFL dealer who runs the background check, and the owner goes to pick up the weapon.

Source: I built an AR15 variant for Deer hunting called an AR10 that shoots a much more powerful caliber. It was a fun project, I learned a lot about guns/gun culture, and now I have delicious jerky while helping the environment.

It's actually an extremely easy process and it exists already, it's called an FFL dealer. Essentially you give your gun to an FFL dealer, the person buying the weapon applies for the background check, and the FFL dealer completes the transaction on the behalf of the seller if the background check passes.

This is how you purchases new weapons online currently, the dealer ships to a local FFL dealer who runs the background check, and the owner goes to pick up the weapon.

Alright, thanks. I didn't know this was already in place. So then anyone who doesn't want to bother to get a license and do background checks themselves would be required to do business thorugh an FFL dealer.

tmarg

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just posing the hypothetical problems I see people come up with. 'Well now it's illegal to sell a gun to my friend!' kind of things.

The specifics are that, yes, that should be illegal. It's really not complicated, it's just that a lot of people wouldn't like it.

Zukkoyaki

I like to think the Republican party was aware that the majority of their base was absurd/stupid, but I get the feeling even they were caught off guard by how deplorable they actually are.

The specifics are that, yes, that should be illegal. It's really not complicated, it's just that a lot of people wouldn't like it.

Also, these de facto gun dealers like dodging taxes, so dealing through cash only at gun shows and flea markets is a great way to do just that. Anything that has a trail scares them because it can be correlated to reported income.

I like to think the Republican party was aware that the majority of their base was absurd/stupid, but I get the feeling even they were caught off guard by how deplorable they actually are.

They know they just aren't brave enough to completely excise 40% of their party.

To be fair I think they thought they were smart enough not to go Trump

Trouble

Banned
Dude wearing that Bill rape shirt just got ejected from Hillary's rally.

Most surprising thing is it was a black guy. Hillary even riffed that he clearly hasn't been paying attention to this election.

Boke1879

This whole cival war is about to get play. The transcripts while not damaging help relitigate the tape.

Any time a publication gets something or get the ok it's coming out immediately.

Once again, Hillary shouldn't have to apologize for that deplorable comment.

Well she certainly doesn't have to now because all her shit is behind her or baked in. Emails, benghazi, deplorables, dying on camera. She actually skated in the first debate because Trump was so terrible that a lot didn't even come up. But she had to face them all last night and her answers ranged from good to weeeelllllllll but she took whatever lumps were left to take and it's over. Those chickens have been well and truly fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom