• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyFish

Banned
Newt seems tired of Trump's bullshit,
Cukx4dIWAAIN5h-.jpg:large

Christian

Sorry if this has been posted! Friggin' lunatics.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/polit...rump-hillary-clinton-election-2016/index.html

The woman, who identified herself as Rhonda, expressed concern about voter fraud in the upcoming elections saying that she was scared of the outcomes.
"Our lives depend on this election. Our kids' futures depend on this election and I will tell you just for me, and I don't want this to happen but I will tell you for me personally if Hillary Clinton gets in, I myself, I'm ready for a revolution because we can't have her in," she said emotionally.

Pence shook his head a little, saying: "Don't say that."
He added: "There's a revolution coming on November 8. I promise you."

She pressed him: "What are we going to do to safeguard our votes? Because we've seen how the Democratic Party is just crooked, crooked, crooked."

They've seen it! They've seen how crooked!

NeoXChaos

I am not making predictions on whether this is coming to pass. You are being ridiculous by making grand declarations of fact with one Monmouth poll and 1/2 of MULaw poll. Please don't.

agreed. nature boy you keep ruining our hopium every time by dousing it with pessimistic flames nit picking over anything.

Be positive nature boy. Soak in some hopium.

I think one of the more frightening possibilities in politics is the potential for evidence itself to become untrustworthy. What happens when technology advances to the point that it allows the creation of a fake video of Hillary saying something that is indistinguishable from actual footage? What happens when materials like that start getting passed around on social media as real? Forged emails being 'leaked' is only the beginning.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/da...e-already-been-cast-2016-presidential-n665196

The NBC News Data Analytics Lab—using voter file data provided by TargetSmart—will tabulate and analyze early vote totals as they are made available in each battleground state throughout the 2016 election cycle. The early votes compiled so far reflect either absentee ballots returned, in-person no excuse absentee voting or in-person early voting. Early in-person voting has not yet started in most states, so these early vote numbers will increase significantly in some states as these voting windows approach.

party_affiliation_of_2016_early_voters_democrat_republican_other_chartbuilder_1_4933bd96273b836ca81f0a4e6672508d.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Please keep in mind in some states -- mainly, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina -- Republicans prefer to early vote over Democrats, who usually vote early in person. So these are generally fantastic numbers for Democrats except Iowa.

Since we got a couple of post debate polls now it's safe to say Trump's sitting at at least -9, maybe even -10. Depressingly I think the gap was wider post-tape, pre-debate.

is that map basically just every medium to large city in the US?

Yes and doesn't even count for all the extra weapons fired at random military installations across the country and the massive amount of fallout generated by groundbursts from the counterforce strikes against our own missle sites.

Live wherever you want-no one is living through that. Better to get vaporized instantly.

Since we got a couple of post debate polls now it's safe to say Trump's sitting at at least -9, maybe even -10. Depressingly I think the gap was wider post-tape, pre-debate.

I feel that's just the initial recoil and enthusiasm gap kicking in. There's probably a permanent tick up that Hillary will gain over her mean out of both events, but some snap back to the mean as time goes on is to be expected.

How would bombs even be dropped in the mid west? Don't nuclear missiles have fairly short range? And any planes would be shot down near instantly, if they even made land at all.

What's the political climate like in Russia among the general population and youth and their feelings towards the United States? I can't imagine the general population wants another major war.

Blader

Republican voters have always hated Democrats (remember Jesse Helms threatening Bill Clinton not to enter NC without a bodyguard?), but Republicans in Congress still worked with Democrats. There are significant differences between Obama and Clinton.

The difference is who their voters are now. The country is significantly more partisan than it was 20 years ago; the Tea Party is a significant power bloc within the GOP. We've seen Boehner ousted, McCarthy kept away from the speakership and Cantor defeated in a primary in just the last two years. The Republican voting base is more vicious and toxic than ever before. Think about all the shit Christie took from his party for daring to hug the president after Hurricane Sandy.

Obama himself has said he has good relationships with Republicans on the Hill, but that it doesn't matter when none of those want to be seen taking a photo with him because of the level of vitriol in their states or districts.

I do think Hillary will better at corralling Republicans than Obama was; she's better at playing that game. But I think at the end of the day, unless there is a significant in the GOP constituencies, like, overnight, bipartisanship prospects are still going to be pretty bleak.

How would bombs even be dropped in the mid west? Don't nuclear missiles have fairly short range? And any planes would be shot down near instantly, if they even made land at all.
Modern ICBMs can hit anywhere since they leave the atmosphere.

A full scale nuclear exchange with the entire world arsenal of 16,000+ nuclear weapons would end civilization. Probably wouldn't lead to human extinction, but I don't see how any existing government baring Switzerland or North Korea survives. Even nations in the southern hemisphere would die as radioactive dust blocks out the sun, EMPs fry modern electronics, and international trade collapses.

SexyFish

Banned

Mildly relevant.

‘I’m the Last Thing Standing Between You and the Apocalypse’
Inside the final weeks of Hillary Clinton’s cautious — and surprisingly risky — campaign.

Given that, I asked Clinton if Nov. 8 scared her. “No, not really,” she said slowly. I clarified that I was talking about the prospect of her losing. She knew what I was talking about. “I’m not going to lose,” she said. She shot me a knowing grin.
Clinton envisions a model more suited to her skills and comforts. It also could portend a very different style of president — without the sweeping themes of Barack Obama, the moral certainty of George W. Bush or the explanatory clarity of Bill Clinton. Can Hillary Clinton do a better job inspiring people from the White House than she has from the campaign stage? Would it become easier or harder to do without Trump around to embody everything she has ever opposed and scare the daylights out of her base? “Don’t blow this” is what Clinton hears most often these days, she told me, or variations thereof. As it has turned out, Clinton, who began her campaign intent on breaking the last barrier — the glass ceiling — has found her most compelling rationale in her own role as a barrier, a bulwark against the impossible alternative. As I was leaving our interview, she smiled, looked me in the eyes and left me with a casual reminder. “As I’ve told people,” she said, “I’m the last thing standing between you and the apocalypse.”

KMS

Best thing he ever did was extend Daylight Savings time by a couple of months each year.

Medicare part D is pretty awesome though would've been nice if it was paid for. I remember Rachel Maddow doing a piece on how they extended the vote time as Bushes people were chasing republicans down. They were literally playing hide and seek in the building to get enough votes changed to pass it.

So, I'm feeling very dad like, since I just spent the day at the boy's school...being all dad-like. But, real talk:

There are going to be polls where Hillary is insanely far ahead. Those are probably outliers. There are going to be polls where she's leading comfortably. There are going to be some that are straight up weird. There's going to be people reading chicken bones.

We do not have to panic after each one of these things. Like, Hillary's team has a game plan. They know what they're doing. They have a strategy that's a hell of a lot better than "THROW SHIT AT HIM UNTIL SOMETHING STICKS OMG 10,000 YEARS OF DARKNESS."

Do not overdose on hopium. Do not shit the bed when the stars don't align the way you think they should. She's got this, but we don't have to be swinging wildly from high high to low lows every other day.

Now, you can have ONE butterscotch from my purse.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One of the things that really irks me is that so many white people apparently accepted Trump's "apology" on Sunday night as genuine. That really, really bothers me.

So, I'm feeling very dad like, since I just spent the day at the boy's school...being all dad-like. But, real talk:

There are going to be polls where Hillary is insanely far ahead. Those are probably outliers. There are going to be polls where she's leading comfortably. There are going to be some that are straight up weird. There's going to be people reading chicken bones.

We do not have to panic after each one of these things. Like, Hillary's team has a game plan. They know what they're doing. They have a strategy that's a hell of a lot better than "THROW SHIT AT HIM UNTIL SOMETHING STICKS OMG 10,000 YEARS OF DARKNESS."

Do not overdose on hopium. Do not shit the bed when the stars don't align the way you think they should. She's got this, but we don't have to be swinging wildly from high high to low lows every other day.

Now, you can have ONE butterscotch from my purse.

THANK YOU PEE PAW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom