• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Pussygate is an awful name by the way....

Pussywater isn't much better.
Pussyghazi
The war on pussy
Pussygeddon
Pusspocalypse

Yeah never mind Pussygate is ok.

Pixieking

Banned
late afternoon? like 3-4pm I think? maybe 2?

Ah, fair enough... Cheers.

Trump on the Commission for Presidential Debates: "I have no respect for that group by the way, I'm done."

https://twitter.com/CandaceSmith_/status/786262723323715584

Time to buy shares of "Trump won't attend all the debates"!

To be fair, it's diminishing returns for him now. Bill Clinton affairs/women didn't get a rise out of Hillary at the second debate, so realistically there's nothing Trump can do at the third other than perform to low expectations (unlikely) or fail horrendously (likely). Why risk it?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump calling for the biggest tariffs in American history probably should be covered more?

China and America putting 35% tariffs on each other seems like the way to crash the world economy to be honest.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Does anybody remember crazy Sean Malstrom? This is the guy who ran a blog dedicated to talking about how great the market strategy behind the Wii was and generally just fellate the NES. His blog was pretty alright at the beginning before descending to madness about 3-4 years into the Wii's lifecycle. (I am convinced you could track him becoming unhinged up against when Other M came out, it broke him)

Well he does occasionally make politics posts, like four years ago when he made a bunch talking about why Mitt Romney would absolutely win. (whoops!) Here's the latest whopper:

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/email-trump-tape/

Included is an opening argument about why the Trump Tape is actually bad news for the Clinton Campaign. I figure you guys could use a good laugh this morning.

Blimey, that is a blast from the past. I remember him well from when he picked up the Wii phenomenon almost before it was a thing and spun all sorts of stuff out of it.

Interesting to be on the opposite side for a change.

Veelk

Banned
Trump on the Commission for Presidential Debates: "I have no respect for that group by the way, I'm done."

I would really like for that to happen now. With a Fox Anchor as the next moderator, it'd be the most that a debate set up has been in his favor. Maybe Chris Wallace would be hard against him anyway, but I'd rather not take the chance that he wouldn't be doing hard moderating, even if it's also the least significant of the debates.

If Trump just doesn't show up, then Hillary has an hour and a half of free air time to do whatever she wants.

Pixieking

Banned
Pointing out that double-digit drops in early voting/registration is not good is far from bedwetting.

Did I misread that tweet and picture, or does it indicate both an explicit drop in Democrat early-voting/registration, as well as an implicit Republican/Independent drop in the same?

Iolo

I would really like for that to happen now. With a Fox Anchor as the next moderator, it'd be the most that a debate set up has been in his favor. Maybe Chris Wallace would be hard against him anyway, but I'd rather not take the chance that he wouldn't be doing hard moderating, even if it's also the least significant of the debates.

If Trump just doesn't show up, then Hillary has an hour and a half of free air time to do whatever she wants.

You mean an hour and a half of free air time to be grilled on Benghazi and emails.

DEO3

So assuming Democrats take the white house and senate, but lose the house, what does that mean for Hillary's first couple of years?

Obviously the Supreme Court will move to the left for the first time in decades, which is huge, but can we really expect any legislation to get passed when republicans in the house haven't done shit for the last 6 years and have only been rewarded for it? The affordable care act for example desperately needs some changes made to it, but I just don't see that happening as long as republicans hold the majority in any branch of the federal government.

Pointing out that double-digit drops in early voting/registration is not good is far from bedwetting.

Er, no. I was posting absentee ballot requests, NOT early voting or registration numbers.

I was merely looking at what could be interesting. The rest of the state's numbers also do not paint a great picture for Republicans.

Kid Heart

Maybe that would mean we'd have a debate focusing on some real policy talk this time?

Anyway, he'll show up. He lost the last two debates and there's no way he'll want to make it seem like he's chickening out. With how desperate he is now it will also probably be the worst of the three.

The paranoia intensifies:

Trump Suggests Paul Ryan Struck Some 'Sinister Deal' Behind His Back

“Wouldn't you think that Paul Ryan would say ‘Good going’? In front of just about the largest audience for a second night debate in the history of the country?” Trump began. “You’d think they would say ‘Great going, Don. Let’s go. Let’s beat this crook. She’s a crook. Let's beat her. We’ve got to stop it!’”

“No, he doesn't do that,” Trump said as the crowd booed along. “There is a whole deal going on there. There is a whole deal going on and we’re going to figure it out. I always figure things out. But there’s a whole sinister deal going on.”

So assuming Democrats take the white house and senate, but lose the house, what does that mean for Hillary's first couple of years?

Obviously the Supreme Court will move to the left for the first time in decades, which is huge, but can we really expect any legislation to get passed when republicans in the house haven't done shit for the last 6 years and have only been rewarded for it? The affordable care act for example desperately needs some changes made to it, but I just don't see that happening as long as republicans hold the majority in any branch of the federal government.

Their stated goal was to make Obama a one term president. They hate her more than they could ever hate him so expect obstruction overdrive..

Blader

The Supreme Court will really only shift leftward if Hillary can appoint more than one justice before (inevitably) losing the Senate again in 2018. Otherwise, if another seat doesn't open within the next two years, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get another liberal through, or hell even another Garland through. And you can bet that if another seat opens up in 2020, the GOP will again refuse to hold a hearing until after that election.

The Supreme Court will really only shift leftward if Hillary can appoint more than one justice before (inevitably) losing the Senate again in 2018. Otherwise, if another seat doesn't open within the next two years, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get another liberal through, or hell even another Garland through. And you can bet that if another seat opens up in 2020, the GOP will again refuse to hold a hearing until after that election.

Ginsburg will go after the next term in 2017-2018 or souter

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Er, no. I was posting absentee ballot requests, NOT early voting or registration numbers.

I was merely looking at what could be interesting. The rest of the state's numbers also do not paint a great picture for Republicans.

Right, my mistake about absentee ballot requests--the drop in enthusiasm isn't good for anybody on either side. It's not a surprise with these candidates, but still.

My bet is we see an uptick in democratic enthusiasm over the next few weeks because of the hateful rhetoric flying from Trump now. I think the idea that somehow this will depress democratic turnout is laughable.

The guy has badmouthed women, Latinos, and African Americans and their communities. All three of those groups will be out in full force.

The GOP being in civil war mode means that the threat of a primary is going to be even stronger for those that cooperate with President Hillary. The obstruction won't end while the Republican party is unstable.

I haven't looked to see what this email entails, but:

@danmericaCNN
Jennifer Palmieri on her hacked email about Catholic Republicans: "I'm a Catholic. I don't recognize that email that we saw."

Would be the first time the Clinton campaign pushes back against the legitimacy of any of the emails.

Veelk

Banned
You mean an hour and a half of free air time to be grilled on Benghazi and emails.

I think she'll handle questioning better when it's not coming from the frothing mouth of a rabid orange. Hell, I'd personally like her to actually to have the time to break down why they're bullshit.

Plinko

The GOP being in civil war mode means that the threat of a primary is going to be even stronger for those that cooperate with President Hillary. The obstruction won't end while the Republican party is unstable.

This is why getting the House would be a huge win this time around. They could make some huge changes if that were the case.

ampere

Asked about Trump's remark that he's "done" with the debate commission, Jason Miller responds:

CuljEghWYAUhgvi.jpg

The best thing about the Trump campaign staffers is they act like you're the crazy one when you ask about something crazy Trump said.

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/786268546749886464

So basically who knows right now

If I'm being honest? A little, because (and I can't believe I'm saying this) George W. Bush didn't create a complete mockery of our democracy. He did some things right, and even though he gaffed constantly, they were innocent slips of the tongue, usually just mixing up some words or getting the phrasing wrong. Not, you know, rancid bile.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take a scalding hot shower to wash this feeling away.

Best thing he ever did was extend Daylight Savings time by a couple of months each year.

Gruco

Banned
So, November 9th.

Trump loses decisively. But refuses to concede. He insists that "there's something going on", that Hillary stole the W from him just like she did from Bernie, and calls for revolution (incidentally, just like he did after Romney lost).

Now, the news media will laugh and this and call it dangerous. Democrats do the same. I am sure some republicans will. But, do all of them? How many decide that isolating Trump is the right thing to do, and how many decide that they're unwilling to be labeled a co-conspirator with Hillary and get primaried two years down the road? Will Pence concede for Trump, and if so, what consequences will apply.

It's hard to see how the standard approach of labeling the loser the loser, isolating them, and forging a new path will apply here. Trump will not go quietly. He is VERY CLEARLY signaling his willingness to push them blame on Republicans for failing to support him. And the lengths with which he has gone to satisfy the base is on an entirely different level than it was for previous nominees.

It's really easy to see Trump holding on to a lot of power after the election, and it's not clear to be what the GOP can do about it. This is going to be 2009/2010 Palin on some kind of incredible super-steroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom