• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT12| The last days of the Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, November 9th.

Trump loses decisively. But refuses to concede. He insists that "there's something going on", that Hillary stole the W from him just like she did from Bernie, and calls for revolution (incidentally, just like he did after Romney lost).

Now, the news media will laugh and this and call it dangerous. Democrats do the same. I am sure some republicans will. But, do all of them? How many decide that isolating Trump is the right thing to do, and how many decide that they're unwilling to be labeled a co-conspirator with Hillary and get primaried two years down the road? Will Pence concede for Trump, and if so, what consequences will apply.

It's hard to see how the standard approach of labeling the loser the loser, isolating them, and forging a new path will apply here. Trump will not go quietly. He is VERY CLEARLY signaling his willingness to push them blame on Republicans for failing to support him. And the lengths with which he has gone to satisfy the base is on an entirely different level than it was for previous nominees.

It's really easy to see Trump holding on to a lot of power after the election, and it's not clear to be what the GOP can do about it. This is going to be 2009/2010 Palin on some kind of incredible super-steroids.

If he "calls for revolution" and it results in violence, my guess is he can be arrested, no?

Blader

That's not true. Behind closed doors, there are more than a few Republicans in Congress that respect Clinton and will be open to cooperating.

Plenty of Republicans like Obama behind closed doors too. What they think about Obama or Clinton behind closed doors doesn't really matter if they're too afraid of being primary'd.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If he "calls for revolution" and it results in violence, my guess is he can be arrested, no?

Yea, at that point he's actively inciting violence.

Looks like Clinton camp is going for broke, going to start linking downballot Republicans with Trump.

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/786271381117816833

Given all the high profile defections, now is the time to do it. If someone is still with Trump they need to be tied to him so when the n-word tape drops they go down with the ship.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
i love the 538 snake

poll only

uHrNAQ.png

Been waiting to see blue start to turn that third corner...

Emarv

Ginsburg will go after the next term in 2017-2018 or souter

Agreed. As soon as they get #9 in, she'll retire for Hillary to replace her.

I haven't looked to see what this email entails, but:

Would be the first time the Clinton campaign pushes back against the legitimacy of any of the emails.

There's been some talk about this. That it could be similar to Soviet tactics. Leak thousands of stuff and then throw in some false stuff here and there so nobody can know the difference. Not saying that's what happened here but I'm kind of waiting for that big email to come out that the Clinton camp flatly denies.

Mael

Does anybody remember crazy Sean Malstrom? This is the guy who ran a blog dedicated to talking about how great the market strategy behind the Wii was and generally just fellate the NES. His blog was pretty alright at the beginning before descending to madness about 3-4 years into the Wii's lifecycle. (I am convinced you could track him becoming unhinged up against when Other M came out, it broke him)

Well he does occasionally make politics posts, like four years ago when he made a bunch talking about why Mitt Romney would absolutely win. (whoops!) Here's the latest whopper:

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/email-trump-tape/

Included is an opening argument about why the Trump Tape is actually bad news for the Clinton Campaign. I figure you guys could use a good laugh this morning.

Read that guy occasionally.
He should never talk politics or anything to do with social movement ever.
There's some interesting points here and there (the "look at where they're spending money to see what they're doing").
But otherwise, it's been dismal content for quite a while.
He's past fellating NES now to grab that delicious Turbografx juice.
Which is interesting considering TG16's commercial failure and his usual point that the market is always right.
Still whether you agree or not, it's still better and more consistent than Pachter and that guy gets regular gaf threads.

Also he is right about Other M, it's a fucking disaster on all counts.

So, November 9th.

Trump loses decisively. But refuses to concede. He insists that "there's something going on", that Hillary stole the W from him just like she did from Bernie, and calls for revolution (incidentally, just like he did after Romney lost).

Now, the news media will laugh and this and call it dangerous. Democrats do the same. I am sure some republicans will. But, do all of them? How many decide that isolating Trump is the right thing to do, and how many decide that they're unwilling to be labeled a co-conspirator with Hillary and get primaried two years down the road? Will Pence concede for Trump, and if so, what consequences will apply.

It's hard to see how the standard approach of labeling the loser the loser, isolating them, and forging a new path will apply here. Trump will not go quietly. He is VERY CLEARLY signaling his willingness to push them blame on Republicans for failing to support him. And the lengths with which he has gone to satisfy the base is on an entirely different level than it was for previous nominees.

It's really easy to see Trump holding on to a lot of power after the election, and it's not clear to be what the GOP can do about it. This is going to be 2009/2010 Palin on some kind of incredible super-steroids.

I'm pretty sure Trump could start his own political party if he wanted after this election. And it could probably win some house seats in 2018 by just picking some random jackasses that love Trump and hate the establishment.

The "Great American Party" or some shit with their own news network run by Trump and Bannon or whatever.

Ondore

Reuters: Putin ally tells Americans: vote Trump or face nuclear war

Jesus fuck.

"Americans voting for a president on Nov. 8 must realize that they are voting for peace on Planet Earth if they vote for Trump. But if they vote for Hillary it's war. It will be a short movie. There will be Hiroshimas and Nagasakis everywhere."

And oh, by the way...

By contrast, Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton could spark World War Three, said Zhirinovsky, who received a top state award from Putin after his pro-Kremlin Liberal Democratic Party of Russia (LDPR) came third in Russia's parliamentary election last month.

Many Russians regard Zhirinovsky as a clownish figure who makes outspoken statements to grab attention but he is also widely viewed as a faithful servant of Kremlin policy, sometimes used to float radical opinions to test public reaction.

The truth is that if you were to hack Sanders campaign emails I'm sure you'd find nasty shit he said about Clinton and some shady strategies. It's politics and thankfully he recognizes we are far past it.The Russians are pathetic lol.

Ithil

Given all the high profile defections, now is the time to do it. If someone is still with Trump they need to be tied to him so when the n-word tape drops they go down with the ship.

And also if they start getting attacked over Trump, some of them might unendorse Trump to mitigate the attacks, which then turns Trump's base on them. It's a lose-lose situation for the GOP.

Trump's penchant for suprise attacks and first strikes is way more likely to lead to conflict escalation than Hillary's approach.

That comment is also completely out of touch with the Kremlin's stated-and-restated nuclear policy. Dude's just blowing hot air.

Trump's penchant for suprise attacks and first strikes is way more likely to lead to conflict escalation than Hillary's approach.

That comment is also completely out of touch with the Kremlin's stated-and-restated nuclear policy. Dude's just blowing hot air.
But it seems like Trump would give Putin a pass on whatever he does, while Clinton would stand up to him.

Emarv

Hmmm. So not actual nuclear war, but foreshadowing the setup for things to come. Pretty sure I said it weeks ago here, but it felt like Putin and Iran's moves lately have been just harassing, buying time and setting up the pieces for the inevitable game between Clinton and Putin over Syria et al next year. Inflammatory comments like this is just more signaling for those scenarios to come.

How can you say down ballot hasn't been affected?

If he's recovering his GOP base (per the NBC/WSJ poll) post-debate, why should the downballot be affected?

We literally have had like 2 polls since post-tape for downballot candidates. And stuff like the MULaw poll was taken half before the tapes dropped. So that's quite a stretch!

It's not a stretch, Johnson's number didn't collapse. I agree we need to wait for a more accurate view, but there's no data yet to suggest downballot is being damaged with the presidential candidate.

It's not a stretch, Johnson's number didn't collapse. I agree we need to wait for a more accurate view, but there's no data yet to suggest downballot is being damaged with the presidential candidate.

yes because we really don't have any data

jfc, you cannot make any intuitions from a poll conducted party before said scandal occurred.

Plenty of Republicans like Obama behind closed doors too. What they think about Obama or Clinton behind closed doors doesn't really matter if they're too afraid of being primary'd.

Republican voters have always hated Democrats (remember Jesse Helms threatening Bill Clinton not to enter NC without a bodyguard?), but Republicans in Congress still worked with Democrats. There are significant differences between Obama and Clinton.

But it seems like Trump would give Putin a pass on whatever he does, while Clinton would stand up to him.

Trump's approach to let Putin run free is much more likely to lead to article five situation as Putin puts America's loyalty to NATO to the test. Europe responds conventionally, America is dragged into things, Russia is quickly overwhelmed (the old fulda gap scenario is now flipped-NATO has a much stronger and larger conventional forces), and then we're all left hoping that A) no one makes a mistake and B) that we come to a ceasefire instead of having to move anywhere on Russian soil.

There's no magic bullet to deal with Putin but Trump's approach is just begging to let him dismantle NATO through manufactured crisis.

Thaedolus

Anyone thinking Clinton or Putin are stupid enough to start a nuclear war need to get their heads checked. Any amount of pragmatism in these two means it'll be avoided at all costs.

The same can't be said for Donald administration.

Wilsongt

I bet Johnson has never felt so relevant in his life. He should enjoy it while he can before he has to slink back to the shadows of "Who the hell is that?" With Jill Stein.

Did anyone from the Trump campaign bother to take a moment to think about if the last name "Palmieri" might sound a bit, oh, I don't know, Italian, before screaming faux-anti-Catholic outrage?

Gruco

Banned

Interestingly, the two tweets in 2012 calling for revolution have been deleted. Given that Trump doesn't deleter tweets, there had to have been some kind of conversation in that one.

Regardless of whether he calls for violence of holds the party hostage, it's increasingly hard for me to see how Trumpism ends with Trump. This won't be a one-off, and the battles will extend far beyond this election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom