• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

YlcsNJg.png

LOL, he is the elite.

Iolo

Nick Riccardi ‏@NickRiccardi 29m29 minutes ago
Nick Riccardi Retweeted Nick Riccardi
Finally: You'd expect Rs to catch up. Ds normally outperform Rs on Election Day in CO. GOP'd better close the gap or have boffo 11/8 turnout

Someone explain to me how, if Colorado is 100% vote by mail, one can talk about turnout "on 11/8".

Chumley

Banned
And this is the final round of absolute bullshit horse race tightening before the end.

Joe Scarborough of course opened his show with "This latest round of emails is absolutely devastating!!!" and "If Cheryl Mills isn't FIRED everything Trump has said about Hillary was RIGHT!!!" and Halperin with "there's just no defending any of it"

Fuck these hack pundits.

dramatis

Chumley

Banned
Why do Trump advisors all sound like they are 12? Always with the exclamation points.

Because those are the only people willing to work for him, people with the speaking skill and awareness of 12 year olds. I think most of them have college degrees, too, which is astonishing.

Someone explain to me how, if Colorado is 100% vote by mail, one can talk about turnout "on 11/8".

I don't know what it's like since the law changed, but I believe you can actually go and vote on Election Day in a polling place if you want. At least, that's how it was.

EDIT: Yes, it seems as if you still can vote in person on Election Day.

mclem

I think it's that early voting is 100% by mail - i.e. there's no drop-in places to handle your early vote in person - but there will be normal election processes on the day itself.

Iolo

I don't know what it's like since the law changed, but I believe you can actually go and vote on Election Day in a polling place if you want. At least, that's how it was.

EDIT: Yes, it seems as if you still can vote in person on Election Day.

I think it's that early voting is 100% by mail - i.e. there's no drop-in places to handle your early vote in person - but there will be normal election processes on the day itself.

There was some misinformation on the web then, it sounded like CO did not have polling places anymore. But from the SoS site it's just that everyone gets a mail-in ballot automatically, and has the option to surrender it and vote in person. Which is weird but ok.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oooo; good article about economic progressivism's history. Makes the Sanders / Warren phenomenon a potential pendulum swing back into 1930s era economic policy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

This is a really good article and I agree with most of the points. It's interesting, because I think it really shows how much, to quote Keynes, "the ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed, the world is ruled by little else. Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually slaves of some defunct economist."

It reminds me very heavily of the renaissance in political philosophy that preceded the current era by a decade or so. When you go from reading Dworkin's works to Anderson's reply, I sometimes feel like the political discussion that's been emerging in the last few years is really just the real world evolution of the basic points Anderson makes. Dworkin's vision of equality is one overwhelmingly concerned with welfare and consumerism; a good society is one where people have about the same amount of stuff, and the actual structure of society beyond that isn't really the important part. Anderson's remarks about how this just leads to societal atomisation and disassociation are spot on; something needs to be said about our relations with one another and our relative position in society. What the article above says above about the early Democratic focus on ensuring distribution of power, and the value that meant to poor working class communities beyond just wages, seems to me to fit right in with that.

It's a universal failure of the left, though - not restricted to America at all. I think the left forgot what it was for, and is only just starting to remember.

shiba5

These claims of voting machine fraud are getting ridiculous. My mom said there was a guy in line this morning grilling the election people about who made the machines.

We have paper ballots this year.

There was some misinformation on the web then, it sounded like CO did not have polling places anymore. But from the SoS site it's just that everyone gets a mail-in ballot automatically, and has the option to surrender it and vote in person. Which is weird but ok.
You can do that in CA too with your early ballot.

Iolo

I feel some sort of twisted happiness seeing Republicans whine about long lines and voter fraud in a state completely run by Republicans because they might lose it.

It would be incredibly ironic if long lines engineered by Republicans wind up backfiring because Dems built up enough early vote to win.

Wilsongt

I can't with these fuckers anymore.

With two weeks to go before Election Day and victory slipping further out of Donald Trump’s reach, the hotel mogul’s campaign is launching what they call a “major voter suppression” effort aimed at driving down turnout among white progressives, young women, and African Americans.

Senior Trump campaign officials told Bloomberg News they are using targeted radio spots, social media posts, and campaign events in neighborhoods of color to push messages they think will discourage voting in those demographics. Namely, they hope that invoking the machinations described in the Clinton campaigns leaked e-mails will turn off progressives, that dredging up decades-old sexual assault accusations against Bill Clinton will turn off women, and reminders that Hillary Clinton referred to some black teenagers as “superpredators” in the 1990s will turn off African Americans.

The latter strategy, reportedly led by Breitbart’s Steve Bannon, is “a below-the-radar effort to discourage infrequent black voters from showing up at the polls — particularly in Florida.” The campaign is planning a barrage of Facebook “dark posts” with the “superpredators” message targeted at likely Clinton voters.

THIS IS WHAT VOTER FRAUD LOOKS LIKE

Plumbob

Well, Vox did try to look into the possibility of making it a more 'sellable' policy to the public.

Climate legislation is going to be a pain in the ass :(

Here is what's realistic to expect in the next four years:

A carbon tax proposal (fails in congress)
Extended solar subsidies
Increased use of the EPA to target carbon as a pollutant
A new supreme court justice to change the balance on environmental decisions.

Fortunately we came to a major agreement about chlorofluorocarbons recently which could reduce temperature increases by a degree or so, and that is treaty so it's not reversible by congress.

Geg

Tbh yeah I wouldn't call making targeted negative ads voter fraud, but them outright calling it voter suppression is fucking stupid

It's not like Republicans have any plans to let Hillary actually govern.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...-a-plan-to-make-clintons-presidency-hell.html

Republicans are at each others’ throats in a way they haven’t been since at least 1964. Republicans disagree about Trump, and they disagree about what they need to do in order to regain power. But those disagreements have very little to do with the decisions the party will face between now and the next presidential campaign. Its position toward a prospective Hillary Clinton administration is so predetermined it is hardly a decision at all. The party will oppose her completely and totally.

Some Republicans blanched at Donald Trump’s outright promise to imprison his opponent if elected. But almost none of them objected to his underlying premise that Clinton is a criminal figure who should be in prison but for the politically motivated decision of the FBI’s Republican director to inexplicably spare her prosecution. That consensus will quickly return to the fore.

Jason Chaffetz, the Republican chairman of the House Oversight Committee, boasts to Dave Weigel that he plans to begin multiple years’ worth of investigations into the incoming Clinton presidency. “Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up.” Chaffetz makes clear in his interview that two years truly is a low-ball figure.

He sees numerous examples of Clinton’s corruption, each one of which could inspire 12 months of investigations and hearings on their own. “Every single time we turn around, this puzzle gets more complicated with more pieces to it,” he told Weigel. “That story about the $12 million from Morocco to the Clinton Foundation? You could take any one of these stories and have a year’s worth of investigations.”

More behind link.

It's not like Republicans have any plans to let Hillary actually govern.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...-a-plan-to-make-clintons-presidency-hell.html

More behind link.

They're gonna indict Hillary over the most stupid shit if they manage to elect someone Speaker of the House ever (they won't).

Divided government where one party has lost connection of reality where voters don't punish the dumbasses who refuse to govern is one terrible form of government.

If you say something is below the radar to a reporter odds are that it's not going to stay below the radar. Why would Bannon say this out loud at all? The fact that this clown brigade of morons has been so successful in threatening our democracy is infuriating.

Oooo; good article about economic progressivism's history. Makes the Sanders / Warren phenomenon a potential pendulum swing back into 1930s era economic policy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

I read this yesterday. There is some striking stuff here.

Just as one thing that struck me:

With the help of strategist Fred Dutton, Democrats forged a new coalition. By quietly cutting back the influence of unions, Dutton sought to eject the white working class from the Democratic Party, which he saw as “a major redoubt of traditional Americanism and of the antinegro, antiyouth vote.” The future, he argued, lay in a coalition of African Americans, feminists, and affluent, young, college-educated whites

Holy shit, that is an amazingly astute prediction of the Obama Coalition from back in the 1960s.

HylianTom

Banned
Gee sure hope no one overreaches against another Clinton and ends up making her broadly popular
I still remember laaaaaughing on Election Night '98. It should've been a good night for the GOP, but damn if they didn't find a way to overplay things and fuck themselves over.

===

And more GOPers are jumping in on the whole "block Hillary's appointments" bandwagon.

It's going to happen. They're going to force this.

I'm pretty sure that the constant indictments will end up leading Hillary to an easy second term.

But if they already view her as illegitimate, it's going to be hard for any bills to get passed.

It took like 9 months for the GOP to agree to spend money on Zika.

This article has some good bits but again, its an article which completely divorces civil rights and the potential beneficiaries of that policies. How many black store owners were protected in that mom-and-pop store bill, what about the giant expansion of government that probably did more to lead to prosperity rather than anti-monopoly power (medicare, medicaid, Social security, military expansion, war contracts and subsidies, the dearth of Asian and European competition due to the war)

Again, this is a conclusion in search of some historical justification for their claim to being the real Democrats

The economic populists never left (again, these always ignore that Black legsilators have constantly been one of the strongest voices for these same things but they're ignored in favor or the white leaderships view), the country movie right as a whole not some sell out democrats.

These analysis really really want to ignore so much of the world in favor of the idea that anti-corporate stuff is going to unite the working and middle class and lead to... hell I don't even think they know what... its just about reducing power.

I mean paragraphs like this illistrate the point

For most Americans, the institutions that touch their lives are unreachable. Americans get broadband through Comcast, their internet through Google, their seeds and chemicals through Monsanto. They sell their grain through Cargill and buy everything from books to lawnmowers through Amazon. Open markets are gone, replaced by a handful of corporate giants. Political groups associated with Koch Industries have a larger budget than either political party, and there is no faith in what was once the most democratically responsive part of government: Congress. Steeped in centralized power and mistrust, Americans must now confront Donald Trump, the loudest and most grotesque symbol of authoritarianism in politics today.
None of these are issues the American people want fixed. None of these are things people complain about or even believe need to be fixed by and large. In fact many of these HAVE lowered prices (especially Amazon) and just randomly smashing them up isn't going improve lives even if it improves competition, its a type of vanity project of having your goals and pretending people care.

Iolo

No. Putting aside for a moment that this is simply negative campaigning and not "voter fraud". I mean, their strategy for "vote suppression" is to bring up Clinton accusers at the debate to discourage women, to say that Clinton has been horrible for black people, and to hammer on Wikileaks to discourage Bernie supporters. None of this is working in the first place! And they have no data to indicate it will.

Iolo

So they are pushing the Brewer quote.

Clinton to Latino organizers: Let’s prove Jan Brewer wrong with record turnout

On a bilingual conference call with supporters on Wednesday night, Clinton reminded them that Brewer had dismissed the prospect that Clinton might win the election because Hispanic voters “don’t vote.”

“Former Arizona governor Jan Brewer said over the weekend that Republicans didn’t have to worry about the vote, Donald Trump didn’t have to worry about the election, because Latinos don’t get out to vote,” Clinton said. “Not only is that insulting, but she may not be paying attention.”

“So let’s prove the former Arizona governor Jan Brewer is wrong and let’s make sure we have the biggest turnout of Latino voters in history,” she added.

Brewer’s comments to the Boston Globe instantly became what the campaign called “bulletin board material,” a source of motivation to push for higher turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom