• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I dont know if Wikileaks is blowing its load or saving the most damning emails a day before election, but so far it looks like they miscalculated in released batches of emails every few days. Over time, it's gone from zomg speeches! to duh, call me when you find something in it.

CNN coverage is a perfect microcosm of where the interest is/isn't. 30 minutes on the latest assault victim, 10 minutes on whatever dipshit thing he said in today's rally, 10 minutes on that day's email leaks for balance. You do the math.

ampere

Also a quote:
I would be the youngest woman ever elected President in the US.

BucY2_CCUAIue5d.jpg
Oh, Hill. You so funny

Wilsongt

wait you were serious?

No. Those speeches are a basket of nothingburger with That's it fries?

What really gets under my skin, though, is someone who posts something on facebook asking if Trump was abusing women for 30 years, why wait until 3 weeks before the election to come out?

People seem to be too stupid to realize the fear that is accompanied with sexual assault, especially when it's by a "billionaire" who could legally destroy you if you said anything.

Debirudog

I'm glad wikileaks is just really incompetent at their job to hinder Hillary's path for the election. They would've done better if they shot their load in August not October.

Loudninja

No. Those speeches are a basket of nothingburger with That's it fries?

What really gets under my skin, though, is someone who posts something on facebook asking if Trump was abusing women for 30 years, why wait until 3 weeks before the election to come out?

People seem to be too stupid to realize the fear that is accompanied with sexual assault, especially when it's by a "billionaire" who could legally destroy you if you said anything.
Yeah it really makes me angry.

Just saw Biden's comment re:countering Russian hacking. "We will attack at a time of our choosing"...Obama telling them to know who attacked them, like a real G.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Electoral College is a check against the Tyranny of the Majority. It serves an important purpose and is one of the reasons American Democracy has been more consistently stable than others.

Yes, the tyranny of the majority that wanted Al Gore to be president. Not George Bush. Good thing we dodged a bullet THERE.

Please tell me you aren't serious. After people on GAF tried to tell me that superdelegates were more democratic than caucuses I find it impossible to tell anymore.

Why do I ever leave PoliGaf?

I'm voting on Wednesday.

My wife and I have had our Florida absentee ballots for over a week. I finished mine the day we got them, but i'm waiting to mail it until my wife fills hers out. While she is a dedicated feminist and pretty darn Liberal, she absolutely hates politics, and has made it clear she trusts me to research the ballot issues and candidates, and she will vote the same way as I do. While I appreciate the trust, I find this attitude both flippant and dangerous. I am not going to bring it up to her, but I wish she would take more responsibility as a voter.

Pet peeve, had to vent

The Electoral College is a check against the Tyranny of the Majority. It serves an important purpose and is one of the reasons American Democracy has been more consistently stable than others.

Name one instance the electoral college has protected the country from tyranny of the majority. Also, provide a scenario in which the electoral college could, in the future, protect the country from the tyranny of the majority, given that most states have laws binding their electors to the popular vote of the state.

Given that Twitter is really going down the tubes (internal turmoil is insane over there) I think the ultimate publicity stunt for them to pull would be to just ban his account after he lost for harassment.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If Tumpkins really do try and prevent people from voting or try and intimidate them, or if they have a post-election shit fit and try to prevent a peaceful transfer of power, I hope the full force of US power comes down upon them.

ascii42

Yes, the tyranny of the majority that wanted Al Gore to be president. Not George Bush. Good thing we dodged a bullet THERE.

Please tell me you aren't serious. After people on GAF tried to tell me that superdelegates were more democratic than caucuses I find it impossible to tell anymore.

We actually can't really know how elections, including 2000, would have proceeded without the electoral college. Campaign strategies, for example, would be quite different. Since without the electoral college, you'd want to get as many votes you could out of more populous areas rather than seeking the plurality of votes in states.

Paskil

MonmouthPoll @MonmouthPoll

Coming Monday: New national numbers.
Also, impact of Clinton Wikileaks, sexual assault allegations, and
Do most men talk like Trump?

If Tumpkins really do try and prevent people from voting or try and intimidate them, or if they have a post-election shit fit and try to prevent a peaceful transfer of power, I hope the full force of US power comes down upon them.

Wouldn't it make for an amazing image if a group of insane Trump protestors were threatening to destroy shit and going after a police line, only to be protected by black bloc #BLM protestors

Honestly, I think without the electoral college, campaigns would not be as different as many think. The reason I say this is because I believe that rather than focusing on swing states, presidential candidates would focus on swing races in the Senate and House elections. So they would still be going after swing states like Florida, North Carolina, etc. that have competitive races in the Senate. However, by going after swing congressional districts in the House, campaigns will focus more on local regions as opposes to states, but like I said, the Senate will still ensure a large focus on states.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My wife and I have had our Florida absentee ballots for over a week. I finished mine the day we got them, but i'm waiting to mail it until my wife fills hers out. While she is a dedicated feminist and pretty darn Liberal, she absolutely hates politics, and has made it clear she trusts me to research the ballot issues and candidates, and she will vote the same way as I do. While I appreciate the trust, I find this attitude both flippant and dangerous. I am not going to bring it up to her, but I wish she would take more responsibility as a voter.

Pet peeve, had to vent

Shitty amendments this year huh?

1 is a shit giveaway to power monopolies. No way it should be an amendment. Of course, it looks like it will pass.

2 will become pointless once it's legal nationwide within the next 10 or so years.

3 and 4 should be laws passed by the state, not amendments.

The only interesting bit is the $2,619,021.83 dollars spent by the Law Firm Morgan and Morgan for Yes for Medical Marijuana.

More consistently stable than which others?

Some of them, all of them? Seriously I look at parliamentary systems and see tons of problems. I think they are too radical and reactive. The UK, Brazil, Spain, Greece and Belgium are all recent examples of democratic instability. The US is the only Federal Republic with a full Presidential with a two party system.

I think American Exceptionalism does exist and I think that out very unique government system is a part of that.

Caucuses are hot garbo and Superdelegates serve a purpose. I am not sure I would say that they are more democratic, but I would point out that American Primaries are already unusually directly democratic compared to how other democracies work. I would honestly argue that we have shifted a little too far away from smoke filled rooms and horse trading in our process.

Name one instance the electoral college has protected the country from tyranny of the majority. Also, provide a scenario in which the electoral college could, in the future, protect the country from the tyranny of the majority, given that most states have laws binding their electors to the popular vote of the state.

Think about how different Elections would be if we went straight popular vote. Entire sections of the country would be ignored. Politicians could camp out in urban centers. The Electoral College is a nod to States Rights. An acknowledgement that this is a Republic.

Piecake

1 is a shit giveaway to power monopolies. No way it should be an amendment. Of course, it looks like it will pass.

2 will become pointless once it's legal nationwide within the next 10 or so years.

The only interesting bit is the $2,619,021.83 dollars spent by the Law Firm Morgan and Morgan for Yes for Medical Marijuana.

That first amendment is worded so confusingly that I bet a lot of people voting for that actually think they are helping further solar polar instead of hindering it.

No doubt that it was intentional.

Grief.exe

Found on r/The Donald

These guys will turn anything into a conspiracy.

In all seriousness, though, Leslie Jones just looks like a butch woman.

Michelle Obama's body structure makes it very statistically unlikely she was born a woman. She also has a visible bulge which AFAIK Leslie Jones doesn't have.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That first amendment is worded so confusingly that I bet a lot of people voting for that actually think they are helping further solar polar instead of hindering it.

No doubt that it was intentional.

That's where a judge steps in and rewords it. I wonder if anyone filed suit on it?

Holmes

I'm making the third debate thread now. Does anyone have links to live streams so I can add them into the OP or will they come up at a later time? I never use them.

I'm making the third debate thread now. Does anyone have links to live streams so I can add them into the OP or will they come up at a later time? I never use them.

They're not up yet, but Fox News, NBC, WaPo, PBS Newshour will all stream it through their websites and youtube for free.

I actually know people that think this! I've had to show them Wikipedia which is followed by "oh, that's just because so many people live in California and New York"
That's such an odd reasoning. Like yes, Obama won the first and third most populous states in the country. He won. Nothing is contradictory here.

Romney got millions of votes from those states. If you discount NY/CA Obama still wins. He won nearly every swing state (North Carolina being the only exception).

(I know it's a stupid argument, I'm just basking in the stupidity of it)

Think about how different Elections would be if we went straight popular vote. Entire sections of the country would be ignored. Politicians could camp out in urban centers. The Electoral College is a nod to States Rights. An acknowledgement that this is a Republic.
Sorry, I thought you meant the fact that electors could, theoretically, not follow the desire of the voters. Yes, I agree that our all-or-nothing points system is good.

I talked to my mom about how ridiculous trumps "rigged" election comments were and that it's absurd to think the media is in Hillary's pocket

She responded with "welllll, she's done things like that before...."

And I was like "wut"

Salvadora

Some of them, all of them? Seriously I look at parliamentary systems and see tons of problems. I think they are too radical and reactive. The UK, Brazil, Spain, Greece and Belgium are all recent examples of democratic instability. The US is the only Federal Republic with a full Presidential with a two party system.

I think American Exceptionalism does exist and I think that out very unique government system is a part of that.
Out of interest, how is UK an example of democratic* instability?

And please don't say Brexit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

This is the fifth election in a row where the Presidential Candidates spend a hugely disproportionate amount of time in three states. Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The idea that entire sections of the country are not ignored now is completely laughable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RajY2nrgk

You know how we do down here in Heaven's Waiting Room. Amd. 1 is exactly as you've described it, it was meant to be confusing and a slight of hand to counter the more preferable, Enviro backed solar amendment.

I also agree with your assessment of the other amendments. They're more lard for our already portly Constitution. The GOPs incessant kneecapping of Counties' prerogatives is infuriating, especially coming from a group that espouses the sanctity of "Home Rule." But I suppose it's just another sacrifice to keep folks' grandparents and their money coming to Floriduh. Let the working class shoulder the responsibility of keeping the lights on, and the pythons at bay.

I love this state, but these neo-Pork Chop Gang Republicans drive me insane
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_Chop_Gang

MonmouthPoll @MonmouthPoll

Coming Monday: New national numbers.
Also, impact of Clinton Wikileaks, sexual assault allegations, and
Do most men talk like Trump?

I sometimes have a brief moment where I forget that incredibly mundane hacked emails are comparable to 9 allegations of sexual assault in this election.

And then I remember and get sad all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom