• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Wanting to post something meant for a now-closed Trump thread. I really, really don't like the narrative that everybody who voted for Trump is an open bigot who can never be converted.

Trump won 33% of the Hispanic vote. Many of his supporters elected a black man eight years ago.

Writing off nearly 60 million voters as a bunch of irretrievable white supremacists is arrogant, childish, and incredibly dangerous.

Let's start by recognizing that racism is (1) not an immutable aspect of identity and (2) not necessarily the driving factor behind a vote.

Trump didn't win because he's a racist. Trump won because enough moderate whites looked past his racism.

There is no dichotomy between racists and non-racists. Essentially all people have some racial prejudice. We can engage with racists just as easily as we can engage with people with other odious views, like Johnson voters who hate welfare or religious bigots who believe gay adoption will lead to more rape. The centrist liberal attitude of viewing racism as an unchangeable blight on one's moral character both ignores why racism exists and offers no solution to change these bigoted views.

We don't need to engage people with racist views. We need to speak to them and prevent them from supporting the demagogues who approach them. If we don't do this, they'll never change and the Right will win.

Conscious whites have a particular burden to fight race-baiting candidates and challenge the prejudices of their friends and relatives. In 2016, these people didn't do this. Instead, they shared smug New Yorker articles on Facebook and hoped blue collar Boomers in economically depressed areas would just magically come to their senses.

You are right in that racism (or any other -ism) is a spectrum but to people of color like me, there isn't much of a difference in the bolded. The end result for people like me is the same.

Paches

This article is scary.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/9/13572172/donald-trump-white-working-class

Mostly because in the end they'll still vote for him again.

The amount of pain coming to the poor and lower middle class is going to be staggering.

This map makes me question my outlook. I am currently working IT in the public sector (school district) and always thought about moving to the private sector. I live in WA.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-21%20at%2010.13.17%20AM.png

I don;t think he'll lose in 2020.
He may or may not. But I already see many of us (including myself first and foremost) already declaring the next 4 years as disaster and Trump losing in 2020. I'm a little sobered right now.

We need to put our heads down and really fucking work the next 4 years in order to have a legit shot in 2020.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is quite a long shot.

That's a big if.

If things went even slightly better yesterday we wouldn't be here.

I know, but Democrats will have the underdog advantage again at least. Democrats can spend the next 4 years attacking and criticizing everything Trump does and not have to worry about defending anything.

If Trump and the Republicans are absolutely terrible, it should be easy to win it all back quickly.

If Trump and the Republicans aren't so bad, then it might take longer, but hey, it's a win that they weren't so bad.

So, either way, not all hope is lost.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm already sick as fuck of pinning this on Hillary's supposed compromised history and alleged lack of inspiration. It's basically victim-blaming. It's especially tiresome seeing the fucking third party voters and disillusioned voters do it. Quit shirking your own damn accountability.

I mean, Trump won with fewer votes than Romney lost with.

It's sad, but we have to run the guy with charisma, not the woman who is awkward as fuck.

For whatever reason, those six million people who voted for Obama decided to stay home. It's selfish as shit, but it's also an "easy" fix in the sense that running a charismatic Dem who runs on a strong unions-forever message has a good shot at winning in this country.

That's the spirit. One foot in front of the other, stiff upper lip, silver linings, some more cliches to try to ease the pain of the wound. We must persevere

What I will take away from this is I can't be complacent here in Canada.

If and when some stupid Trump like motherfucker aka Kevin O'Leary comes up and wins the Conservative leadership.

I am going to fight like fucking hell to make sure the disease that his white nationalism doesn't spread here...

Canada is usually one or two election cycles behind the US but usually and eventually does mirror them but that cannot happen here I will fucking die fighting it if I have to.

Pixieking

Banned
Republicans ultimately came home to roost with one of the biggest pieces of shit in the history of American politics.

many Democrats stayed home because they couldn't vote for a flawed candidate, yet one that held the best interests of the people.

Truly disgusted by America right now.

Reminded me of this:

Alex Hirsch Verified account
‏@_AlexHirsch

The inability of the left to distinguish between an imperfect ally and an enemy is the height of privilege and will be our downfall

He won. This is a Reagan level of shifting.

Unless he destroy the economy or the Dems nominate Jesus, he won't lose.

One of Donald Trump’s most consistent promises is to impose massive tariffs on goods from other countries, including a tariff of up to 45 percent on goods from China, and up to 35 percent on goods from Mexico. He might face some resistance from Republicans in Congress on this point, but luckily for him, the president has a surprising amount of authority to unilaterally impose duties, by bringing "safeguard" or "market disruption" cases against imports from China or Mexico. He could bring a trade war upon America, whether Congress wants him to or not.

The Peterson Institute, a pro-trade but widely respected think tank in Washington, tried to estimate the economic cost of Trump's plans in a report in September. Peterson, understandably, assumes that China and Mexico would retaliate with tariffs of their own. So would other countries if Trump withdraws from the WTO, NAFTA, the South Korea free trade pact, and other agreements.

Peterson concludes that this would very likely cause a full-on trade war, and with it a recession by the year 2019. The unemployment rate would reach 8.6 percent, and over 4 million jobs could be lost:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/9/13572172/donald-trump-white-working-class

jtb

Banned
I don't worry about 2020. (Yet, anyways).

The real problem is that eight years of progress will be erased in a hundred days - probably less. Winning in 2020 just resets the clock. Again.

Demographics may not be destiny, but they still can give Dems a very plausible path to 270. We need the candidate to do it.

I have no idea how we put together a map that can win in 2020. Trump is going to give the people that voted for him everything they want and if not he'll find a scapegoat or deport a few million more immigrants. Literally everything I've ever believed about presidential elections has been destroyed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Actually I don't think so. If you look at the ballot initiatives around the country, I think most ended up ok. I don't think this represents a huge shift towards the right. That Hassan and Cortez Masto could still win, for example, are indicative of that. I think this really sucks but I do think it's down to turnout for an uninspiring candidate. I HAAAAATE that but I don't think it's a rejection of Democratic principles...which is why Obama's still so broadly popular.

More surgically speaking I worry about Wisconsin, where the rejection of Feingold is a real ???.

Yes after a failure of a war, mishandling of a humanitarian crisis, and an economy starting to sputter.

So good news is if this happens, we got this.
If Trump goes ahead with his trade war bullshit, or penalizing Carrier or other companies that go overseas, he's totally going to crash the economy.

I don't think he's starting a trade war. His economic advisors on Wall Street will tell him not to, and he'll take their advice because he's an idiot who doesn't think for himself. Also, he likes free trade and the ability to manufacture out of the country at cheaper cost!

Then again, Trump is a cipher, so who the fuck knows.

This is just me looking for a glimmer of hope, but what if Trump is actually an effective president who works toward making the lives of the working class better?

Right now the GOP is licking their lips at passing everything. But what if Trump says no. He just says "no, this looks dumb, I'm not doing this" or, he reads some article about public healthcare working and he decides he's going to post his plan on twitter at 2AM and nobody can stop him and now the president supports public health insurance.

He's so unpredictable and has no actual concrete plans, I'm just trying to fill in the holes with best case scenarios.

If Trump goes ahead with his trade war bullshit, or penalizing Carrier or other companies that go overseas, he's totally going to crash the economy.
Yes I agree.

But all this means is the country gives Republican powers to fuck everything up and then turn to dems to fix it.

Meanwhile people are going to feel long lasting pain.

This is just me looking for a glimmer of hope, but what if Trump is actually an effective president who works toward making the lives of the working class better?

Right now the GOP is licking their lips at passing everything. But what if Trump says no. He just says "no, this looks dumb, I'm not doing this" or, he reads some article about public healthcare working and he decides he's going to post his plan on twitter at 2AM and nobody can stop him and now the president supports public health insurance.

He's so unpredictable and has no actual concrete plans, I'm just trying to fill in the holes with best case scenarios.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I'm sorry, but there are no benefits, we have to fight. When people lose their health insurance and the economy dies, the advantage must be taken. Move to a place with a Republican in the house seat that is R+5 or something and get ready to run if you need to.

Pixieking

Banned
Yes after a failure of a war, mishandling of a humanitarian crisis, and an economy starting to sputter.

So good news is if this happens, we got this.

Markets are already volatile.

I think the Overton Window shift means that Sexual Assaults (especially on campus) will rise. The "Grab her by the Pussy" remark has been legitimized as Locker Room Talk.

Pulling out of the Paris Agreement will be a seismic shift for younger people.

And finally, the removal of the ACA will be seen as removing rights from everyday people.

Trump/Pence will screw this up. The Dems just have to be ready.

Yes, I'm optimistic to the point of blindness. Because that's what's needed. Fuck sitting about moping - being emo is for high schoolers. Let's shake this up!

I'm already sick as fuck of pinning this on Hillary's supposed compromised history and alleged lack of inspiration. It's basically victim-blaming. It's especially tiresome seeing the fucking third party voters and disillusioned voters do it. Quit shirking your own damn accountability.

Yeah, a Millionaire career politician is the victim here, not all the millions of voters that did voted for her and she and her awful campaign let down and exposed to President Trump.

YAASSS QUEEENNN!!!!

Who can the Dems run in 2020? Needs to be a legit populist candidate or I don't think they'll have a chance. Tough unseating an incumbent and I don't doubt that Trump will have high approval ratings once he starts flexing against other nations.

BiggNife

I mean, Trump won with fewer votes than Romney lost with.

It's sad, but we have to run the guy with charisma, not the woman who is awkward as fuck.

For whatever reason, those six million people who voted for Obama decided to stay home. It's selfish as shit, but it's also an "easy" fix in the sense that running a charismatic Dem who runs on a strong unions-forever message has a good shot at winning in this country.

I think a big part of it was this assumption that Hillary had it in the bag. When you had shit like PEC and Upshot giving Hillary ridiculous odds I think that gave a lot of people less of an impetus to vote "because she's gonna win anyway."

I think the combination of the next candidate inevitably being more charismatic combined with awareness that complacency led to Trump makes things look pretty good for us.

Doesn't change the fact that the next four years are gonna suck, but it's at least a silver lining.

That is definitely the best case scenario.

The worst case is that he's just a rubber stamp for congress to pass whatever they send him.

I'm leaning more towards the latter than the former.

I'm reposting this from a different thread because this is sinking into me.

I'm not the biggest fan of Clinton's politics. But the thing I was most looking forward to was calling my mother after Hillary had won the election and hearing how happy she was that she lived long enough to see the first woman president. My mother isn't in good health. I don't think she'll live to see 2020, let alone 2024. She's always been a huge Clinton supporter and she's heartbroken. She's never going to see a woman president now.

I'm not an emotional person at all really. Like I my temperament towards Trump winning has been extreme disappointment. A lot of my friends were outright crying and bawling and I'm just not that kind of person who reacts like that to things. But thinking about that aspect of it gets me teary eyed.

Boke1879

I'm forever the optimist. So obviously I'm hoping by some miracle he's actually a decent President that actually does throw a bone to people every so often.

I highly doubt this though.

Actually I don't think so. If you look at the ballot initiatives around the country, I think most ended up ok. I don't think this represents a huge lurch rightward. I think this really sucks but I do think it's down to turnout for an uninspiring candidate. I HAAAAATE that but I don't think it's a rejection of Democratic principles...which is why Obama's still so broadly popular.

Silver linings:
• The popular vote still went to the Democrats. They are a national party if they get their shit together.
• It doesn't seem like Trump won as much as Hillary lost. Trump will win with fewer votes than Romney won.
• Obama has a moral imperative to come back to politics more quickly than he expected.

The disasters (other than the obvious):
• Democratic bench depleted. There's nobody for them to run at a presidential level right now.
• 2018 is gonna be ugly. Republicans are defending like 7 seats, and the only one that seems flippable is Nevada.
• Unless Trump fucks up bigly, the House is lost for 2018 as well. 2020 now looks better for Dems (maybe?) which would be good for redistricting.
• There's no way the Supreme Court rules favorably on any kind of voting rights act, or fair redistricting.

Emarv

Who can the Dems run in 2020? Needs to be a legit populist candidate or I don't think they'll have a chance. Tough unseating an incumbent and I don't doubt that Trump will have high approval ratings once he starts flexing against other nations.

The fight for who is the future of the party will be on the big stories over the next few years. There's gonna be a lot of people trying to make names for themselves in opposition to Trump.

jtb

Banned
Why not a copy of 2006?

There simply aren't enough competitive districts. The 2018 senate map is a bloodbath. The party has to pivot hard to the center to win those districts -- and, at the same time, the progressive wing of the party is clearly on the ascendancy.

These two realities seem near impossible to reconcile for me. The Democrats no longer have a message - or even a functioning coalition. To fix all that in just two years, with the current map... I see more bleeding and more years in the wilderness.

Maybe Bernie/Sherrod Brown liberals can win back those rural areas with anti-trade populism. I'm skeptical.

pigeon

Banned
Actually I don't think so. If you look at the ballot initiatives around the country, I think most ended up ok. I don't think this represents a huge shift towards the right. That Hassan and Cortez Masto could still win, for example, are indicative of that. I think this really sucks but I do think it's down to turnout for an uninspiring candidate. I HAAAAATE that but I don't think it's a rejection of Democratic principles...which is why Obama's still so broadly popular.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/796433604117049344

taniel said:
Relative to the national margin, TX+AZ dramatically swung blue since 2012, VA+NC+FL a bit bluer, CO same, IA+WI+MI+PA dramatically swung red

Basically the plan was carried out. Hillary advanced in the Sun Belt and states with lots of minorities and gave up white working class voters. It was the march of the intersectional coalition.

It was just too soon.

I don't know if we ever get another chance.

If a rockstar candidate in 2018 pulls a surprise senate victory and owns their freshman term, that might be a good pick.

We have options. We just need to figure out what the best option is, and also hope they can win a primary.

McConnel just confirmed they will quickly repeal obamacare. And when the healthcare industry continues to fail they will just say it was because of the aca being so bad.

I think a big part of it was this assumption that Hillary had it in the bag. When you had shit like PEC and Upshot giving Hillary ridiculous odds I think that gave a lot of people less of an impetus to vote "because she's gonna win anyway."

I think the combination of the next candidate inevitably being more charismatic combined with awareness that complacency led to Trump makes things look pretty good for us.

Doesn't change the fact that the next four years are gonna suck, but it's at least a silver lining.

Yeah. This was garbage, but if that's Obama running for term number three, he wins that election.

Obama's still popular, some leftward movement got made in some states via propositions last night, Cortez Masto and Hassan won, so all is not lost unless this idiot Trump starts firing off nukes everywhere.

BiggNife

If it was a Reagan level shifting then Hillary wouldn't have won the popular vote. That's honestly the one positive thing out of all of this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/796433604117049344

Basically the plan was carried out. Hillary advanced in the Sun Belt and states with lots of minorities and gave up white working class voters. It was the march of the intersectional coalition.

It was just too soon.

I don't know if we ever get another chance.

The campaign misread the timeline. I think that's what it's going to come down to. 20 years from now this plan will work, but not yet.

Crocodile

The "we don't need you" attitude of some Hillary supporters did not help

A) Lots of people were sniping at each other on all sides, it was a contentious primary even if the outcome became clear relatively soon

B) Refusing to vote or help in the GE because of "feelings" or "someone was mean to me" is the epitome of privilege. Everybody knew what was at stake. Bernie knew what was at stake (hence why he backed Clinton in the end). If you care about liberal policies, you don't get to excuse yourself for staying home.

This is some next level hopium LOL

Yeah, thats gonna be a major fuck up.

I am worried about Mexico. I just hope MX can somehow substitute the US with Canada and China. The car manufacturing industry will suffer badly, though. I see some manufacturers just leaving the country without an easy access to the US market. Many of these (horrible) jobs are what keeps the Narco from totally controlling the economy of certain states. Ugh.

If it was a Reagan level shifting then Hillary wouldn't have won the popular vote. That's honestly the one positive thing out of all of this.

Yeah, you guys are right. I am just diablosing.

Maybe because I see Trump as a rejection not only of the Democrat candidate, but also a rejection of the Republican Party. Thats a shift.

pigeon

Banned

I mean, I think if we elect a crazy white nationalist president and he actually improves the economy and helps the working class that's one of the worst possible timelines. How can we possibly argue against white nationalism next time?

jtb

Banned
The campaign misread the timeline. I think that's what it's going to come down to. 20 years from now this plan will work, but not yet.

To be fair, Clinton didn't dictate the timeline. I doubt they envisioned this being their coalition in June 2015. It's much more reliant on college-educated whites than Obama's coalition and, therefore, even more heavily reliant on heavy urban centers. Hugely inefficient when it comes to electoral college.

But the fact that Trump was dictating the rules of the game should've been huge cause for concern. College-educated whites had to replace the WWC union vote and, by all accounts, they just, um, didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom