• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dean is the absolute best choice right now. Pretty much the only one with any recent successful track record.

We'd be fucked if we weren't having these conversations. The Democratic Party failed us this year, and has been failing us for many years, masked by Obama's successes and charm. Now is the right time to be questioning and retooling the party's chair structure and priorities.
Can you imagine if we didn't have the Obamas? Party of total shit.

@GovHowardDean
The dems need organization and focus on the young. Need a fifty State strategy and tech rehab. I am in for chairman again.

"Health Insurance Lobby is looking through candidates to run in 2020 and I'm going to make sure the one they want wins." Subtext: SinglePayer is a no-go.

"Poor Bernie. They did it to him again." ~Trump August 2020.

"Dean, Debbie...never trust someone who's name starts with a D." ~Trump September 2020

"They killed Bernie. His dream was a good dream. We may disagree but he loved this country. I love it too. But now that Claire McCaskill is their nominee...he couldn't live anymore. His dream dashed twice by the DNC. The American Dream. So Precious and Democrats want to take it away. Don't let them take your dreams or else you'll lose the will to live as well." ~ Trump October 2020

"Thank you for reelecting me America." ~ Trump November 2020

The young will tow the line for climate change imo. Until the Republicans adopt climate change initiatives into their official platform no reason to think young voters will embrace them.

Young white vote went GOP in 2016 and from one source I saw 2012.

11-21-12-3.png

Full GOP control at the federal level, crushing majorities at the state and local. We're never having elections again, are we?

Every day so far I'm becoming more and more full of terror and rage.

pigeon

Banned
I want to win more than anything else and that starts with midterms on very hostile ground. We need to accept that different Dems are going to have to run different campaigns. Never abandon the Obama coalition (especially nationally), but certain issues need to be prioritized over others in various races.

And here we go.

Full GOP control at the federal level, crushing majorities at the state and local. We're never having elections again, are we?

I feel the GOP could put in laws that would place them in power for a long time, and nobody would do anything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dean is the absolute best choice right now. Pretty much the only one with any recent successful track record.

Dean is the best choice, but I want Ellison involved in some capacity. Ellison's involvement on the ground floor would give me immense confidence that the DNC doesn't even consider jettisoning minorities in favor of some misguided WWC strategy

We totally failed to capitalize on Obama success from 2008 and 2012. I dont think we'd ever have the coattails needed to bring about progressive change at all levels of government.

"Health Insurance Lobby is looking through candidates to run in 2020 and I'm going to make sure the one they want wins." Subtext: SinglePayer is a no-go.

"Poor Bernie. They did it to him again." ~Trump August 2020.

"Dean, Debbie...never trust someone who's name starts with a D." ~Trump September 2020

"They killed Bernie. His dream was a good dream. We may disagree but he loved this country. I love it too. But now that Claire McCaskill is their nominee...he couldn't live anymore. His dream dashed twice by the DNC. The American Dream. So Precious and Democrats want to take it away. Don't let them take your dreams or else you'll lose the will to live as well." ~ Trump October 2020

"Thank you for reelecting me America." ~ Trump November 2020

Why don't you do the inverse results with your ridiculous Bernie progressive purity?

Bowdz

Good news, this is what propelled the GOP post 2008 to become the most dominant party in America eight years later. We can do the same.

Dierce

I wish Sanders would wake up and realize that trump's appeal was never about economics to his supporters. I know that he tries to see the best in people but there is nothing good to see from those that voted for trump. Even if they aren't racist they voted for that man out of extreme selfishness added upon a thick layer of ignorance.

They also aren't necessarily against free-trade. They are against what accompanies free-trade which is cultural diversity.

Fox318

Another reason why I'm still upset over the lack of candidates that decided to stay clear and let Hillary get the nom is that we don't have any young star democrats that you can point to now for 2020. If they had nearly as many debates as the GOP they would have been able to get and maintain their message across the year and get experience on running a campaign and dealing with National media in a different way.

Warren, Booker, and Cuomo are the only 3 I can think of now that I can see running. Maybe Gillibrand?

Gabbard is too soon but who knows.

Blader

Good news, this is what propelled the GOP post 2008 to become the most dominant party in America eight years later. We can do the same.

The bad news is that it relied on midterm turnout, which we suck at, and eights of Trump is a long fucking time.

royalan

A fifty state strategy doesn't need to be separate from millennial support. Run races locally and have a clear, concise national message. The GOP did this over the last eight years. They had Republicans win in Massachusetts, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico all campaigning on local issues with varying degrees of conservatism while the national party line was "less taxes, smaller government, more freedom". Stupid and wrong, but effective.

I want to win more than anything else and that starts with midterms on very hostile ground. We need to accept that different Dems are going to have to run different campaigns. Never abandon the Obama coalition (especially nationally), but certain issues need to be prioritized over others in various races.

I think a national message is a lot less important for Dems than Republicans, primarily because Dems represent a much more diverse group of voters. I think a big issue for Dems in midterm elections is that they try to craft a one-size-fits-all message for such a diverse electorate.

What coastal Demss prioritize is a lot different than what motivates, say, black Democrats in the southern states.

Dems need to strengthen their local game.

I'm seriously considering going to a gun store tomorrow just to have a little armory around just in case. The idea of the GOP going full fascist or at least Putin level despotic is just becoming more and more likely in my mind.

Bowdz

I think a national message is a lot less important for Dems than Republicans, primarily because Dems represent a much more diverse group of voters. I think a big issue for Dems in midterm elections is that they try to craft a one-size-fits-all message for such a diverse electorate.

What coastal Demss prioritize is a lot different than what motivates, say, black Democrats in the southern states.

Dems need to strengthen their local game.

I completely agree. My broader point is that the Obama coalition is absolutely still viable during presidential elections. We lost because we didn't turn out.

The most important thing we can do now though is rebuild locally.

A fifty state strategy doesn't need to be separate from millennial support. Run races locally and have a clear, concise national message. The GOP did this over the last eight years. They had Republicans win in Massachusetts, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico all campaigning on local issues with varying degrees of conservatism while the national party line was "less taxes, smaller government, more freedom". Stupid and wrong, but effective.

Yup. Exactly. Dean is proven in the 50 state category. I mean he at least appeared to have that going on a good track.

Fox318

I'm seriously considering going to a gun store tomorrow just to have a little armory around just in case. The idea of the GOP going full fascist or at least Putin level despotic is just becoming more and more likely in my mind.

Its your constitutional right to purchase a firmarm however if you do decide to purchase one make sure you follow your states regulations and get yourself a gun safe.

I'd also recommend keeping your ammo locked separately from your guns in case you have a child around.

I love Howard Dean but I think the DNC needs to start fresh- that's why I'd prefer Keith Ellison. That's not to say Dean doesn't have a role- he should have a leadership position at the DNC because he did great building the 50 state strategy. However, Keith at the top for me.

pigeon

Banned
The fight to try and pull the party to the FAR left will be very real

Economically. Not socially. Because social issues aren't real issues, they are "identity politics". I heard that a dozen times this year from Sanders supporters. Looking forward to hearing it again from the DNC.

And to be clear -- if the next Democratic candidate abandons intersectionality, they won't get a dime or an hour of labor from me.

Chumley

Banned

It's a good idea. Shit is going to go nuclear before Trump is done.

I love Howard Dean but I think the DNC needs to start fresh- that's why I'd prefer Keith Ellison. That's not to say Dean doesn't have a role- he should have a leadership position at the DNC because he did great building the 50 state strategy. However, Keith at the top for me.

Some of his supporters posted a petition for him and an article talking about him. He's part-time? No, can't really support that.

This is full-time issue and needs 100% attention.

Lol Howard Dean? Really!?

The Clinton taint is all over him. No fucking way.

Its like Dems just dont want to learn anything from this disaster.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Guys, Democratic party is not fucked just like the GOP wasn't fucked in 2008 or 2016.

We will come back and we find someone that will be a good candidate when the time comes. Everything one thought John Edwards would be the heir apparent and look at what happened.

Everyone thought Hillary would be the one in 2008, look at what happened,

Bernie came out of nowhere and almost became the candidate,

So many things between now and 2018-2020 that will make a huge difference.

Lets stick together and mobilize!!!

BiggNife

Dean coming back is the best thing that can happen for the DNC, I think. We need a full timer that can get people energized about midterms and that's what he did in 2006.

Bernie bros are gonna get pissed by anyone who isn't personally approved by him. You can't please everyone.

The more I think about it the more brazile doesn't have a chance because of this campaign and the CNN thing so that's a relief. She's easily the worst outcome because she'd just be DWS 2 and we all know how well that turned out the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom