• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
She can. Her speech after SC, for example, was brilliant. However, people always try to compare her to Bill and Obama. That's just not her style of politics. She's a wonk, and she's always been wonky. She's funny as hell, but she's not going to get up there and promise people the moon when she can only give you a nice cup of tea with some lemon.

I guess the problem is promise, I don't think she needs to promise but more just give her vision of america. She is definitely a better campaigner than sanders so she will hopefully be president over trump and hopefully congress changes and we can get some more moon level promises.

I believe he was Majority Whip when he resigned to serve as Obama's Chief of Staff. He wanted to be Speaker of the House.

Nah.
After his role in helping the Democrats win the 2006 elections, Emanuel was believed to be a leading candidate for the position of Majority Whip. Nancy Pelosi, who became the next Speaker of the House of Representatives, persuaded him not to challenge Jim Clyburn, but instead to succeed Clyburn in the role of Democratic Caucus Chairman. In return, Pelosi agreed to assign the caucus chair more responsibilities, including "aspects of strategy and messaging, incumbent retention, policy development and rapid-response communications." Caucus vice-chair John Larson remained in his role instead of running for the chairman position.[56]

Also

2008 Presidential election
Emanuel declared in April 2006 that he would support Hillary Rodham Clinton should she pursue the presidency in 2008. Emanuel remained close to Clinton since leaving the White House, talking strategy with her at least once a month as chairman of the DCCC.[15] However, Emanuel's loyalties came into conflict when his home-state Senator, Barack Obama, expressed interest in the race. Asked in January 2007, about his stance on the Democratic presidential nomination, he said: "I'm hiding under the desk. I'm very far under the desk, and I'm bringing my paper and my phone."[68] Emanuel remained neutral in the race until June 4, 2008, the day after the final primary contests, when he endorsed Obama.[69]

Makai

True, but the next set of states aren't really that great for Drumpf regardless, just like they're not for Clinton, but then it's back to the Northeast where they should both be heavily favored.
He'll do fine once it's a one-on-zero. Narrow the field!

Also lol at that Rahm quote from the 08 election.

Shitty mayor but as a character in the great play of politics he can be pretty entertaining.

GE election hypotheticals aside, more proof Hillary is doomed in states like PA

https://www.mercyhurst.edu/sites/de...mercyhurst_poll_3_spring_2016_report_edit.pdf

Clinton, 43% v. Trump, 35%;
Clinton, 45% v. Cruz, 42%;
Sanders 49% v. Trump, 37%;
Sanders, 48% v. Cruz 40%
Clinton, 39% v. Rubio, 47%;
Clinton, 36% v. Kasich, 49%;
Sanders, 41% v. Rubio, 46%;
Sanders, 42% v. Kasich, 46%
But 46k Democrats! That's a LOT!

I feel like Hillary is the type of person who prefers to be down in the trenches, getting her hands dirty, rather than be like Obama, being charismatic, delegating and finding the right people to get the job done, while he oversees it and sells it to the public when he can.

I agree. She's about getting things done moreso than anything else. If she can get it done, she'll do it. If she can't, she's not going to offer it. I respect that. Like I said, she reminds me of my dad.

I guess the problem is promise, I don't think she needs to promise but more just give her vision of america. She is definitely a better campaigner than sanders so she will hopefully be president over trump and hopefully congress changes and we can get some more moon level promises.

She's given her vision, but it's not going to be as lofty as Bernies...simply because Bernie has zero chance of most of his agenda. Hillary's, with a friendly House and Senate is far more realistic.

Also, Chris Matthews needs to shut the fuck up and let her answer.

I agree. She's about getting things done moreso than anything else. If she can get it done, she'll do it. If she can't, she's not going to offer it. I respect that. Like I said, she reminds me of my dad.

She's given her vision, but it's not going to be as lofty as Bernies...simply because Bernie has zero chance of most of his agenda. Hillary's, with a friendly House and Senate is far more realistic.

No I don't mean her vision of america after her first term (Bernie's is definitely lofty but my feeling from ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE is most people know that and like that he is giving out lofty ideals that we will fight towards even if we wont get there), more just like, if Hillary could bypass the crappy situation in congress, what does she want?

Cerium

Trump hates Japan and South Korea and China so much, not enough has been written about Trump's potential impact regarding Asian voters.
qv0ndspskumyr-hzhtuiiw.png

It's probably not about the Japan and China bashing as much as it is about everything else. He's everything Asian families raise their children not to be.

GE election hypotheticals aside, more proof Hillary is doomed in states like PA

https://www.mercyhurst.edu/sites/de...mercyhurst_poll_3_spring_2016_report_edit.pdf

Clinton, 43% v. Trump, 35%;
Clinton, 45% v. Cruz, 42%;
Sanders 49% v. Trump, 37%;
Sanders, 48% v. Cruz 40%
Clinton, 39% v. Rubio, 47%;
Clinton, 36% v. Kasich, 49%;
Sanders, 41% v. Rubio, 46%;
Sanders, 42% v. Kasich, 46%
I wonder how much Trump effect is going on, where people think Crubio/Kasich must be FDR compared to Trump.

qv0ndspskumyr-hzhtuiiw.png

It's probably not about the Japan and China bashing as much as it is about everything else.

Still, if your parents came from Japan or China or South Korea and you hear Trump say "I fucking hate those countries, they've stolen from us over the years"... I can't see how that makes a positive impression?

And where will that come from?

Kelly Ayotte, Mark Kirk, and Rob Portman being asked daily about the stupid thing Donald Trump just said during their reelection campaigns.

I wonder how much Trump effect is going on, where people think Crubio/Kasich must be FDR compared to Trump.

Oh, absolutely. You'd think John Kasich was freakin' Jacob Javits if you listened to the media.

And where will that come from?

By winning the House and Senate.

Bernie's already been told by Pelosi that his single payer plan is DOA. They will not take that up. Getting a majority doesn't mean the Presidents agenda is rubber stamped through Congress. Hillary has the experience and knows where the bodies are buried (and has the capital) to get some of what she wants through.

Cerium

Still, if your parents came from Japan or China or South Korea and you hear Trump say "I fucking hate those countries, they've stolen from us over the years"... I can't see how that makes a positive impression?

It certainly doesn't help, but Asians tend to be politically pragmatic, and I think that's the number one motivating factor against Trump.

I think Bernie's policies represent a good ideal because they're more based around the end result - college should be free, healthcare should be free - whereas Hillary's more concerned with how we get there. Even with a Dem Congress were not likely to get free tuition and single payer. Even just Obamacare was such a huge fight that arguably cost us control after over a year of political gamesmanship. Hillary's policies seem more in line with what Dem-passed legislation would end up being.

Holmes

By winning the House and Senate.

Bernie's already been told by Pelosi that his single payer plan is DOA. They will not take that up. Getting a majority doesn't mean the Presidents agenda is rubber stamped through Congress. Hillary has the experience and knows where the bodies are buried (and has the capital) to get some of what she wants through.
I mean, she buried them.

Btw - perhaps this is too stupidly optimistic - but I think in a scenario where like, Democrats end up at 210 seats in the House and a clear Senate majority (let's say anything above 52 seats), Ryan might be willing to play ball on a few things. Debt-free college, universal pre-K, immigration reform, some budget stuff until we get used to that new president smell.

Or he could just be an asshole again. Seems more likely.

Also Hillary is probably going to come into office with pretty middling approval ratings. She's lucky if she gets to run against someone as universally reviled as Trump. Hope the first 100 days are productive!

#1 thing that would make me like clinton more is more NIH/mental health funding (#2 is no more war pls but thats not something you can really promise).

Damn.. Just watched Trump's Vienna OH rally

No lies here, hes evolving into a fascist lol

I wonder how much Trump's white nationalist fans have kind of activated his fascism even more.

I mean, obviously someone who calls China massacring students a "riot" is a fascist in some sense, but Nazis have been Trump's biggest fans since the beginning and maybe that wore off on him after a while.

From the Ohio Secretary of State:

Absentee ballot update:
· 500,544 absentee ballot applications received statewide
· 417,537 absentee ballots have been cast

By party:
· 226,710 Democrat (requested)
· 187,570 Democrat (cast)
· 258,756 Republican (requested)
· 222,927 Republican (cast)

335,542 voters cast ballots early during the 2012 Presidential Primary Election and 557,686 did so during the 2008 Presidential Primary

Cerium

Wasn't there a Republican town hall today? I kind of assumed there would be since there was a Democratic one yesterday.

"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in

I can't believe Trump actually picked this poem as his "Muslims coming to rape our white women!" poem. Trump IS a snake.

Grief.exe

Ted Cruz's new talking point is that there is a media conspiracy to make Donald Trump the GOP nominee because Hillary Clinton can beat him

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/709492061502713856

giphy.gif

They have really buddied up with Trump, goes on Morning Joe almost daily at this point, constantly interviewed and featured on every main media outlet.

Probably more to do with insane ratings as people clamour to watch the spectacle above some kind of conspiracy, Ted Cruz is just so full of himself and his righteous rhetoric that he is more likely to default to the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom