• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once in an old county aaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago.
Now it's all electronic round my area.

NY has had mechanical voting machines up til at least the last election and maybe still. I think I voted on a paper ballot that fed into an electronic machine last time, which is literally as modern as it's ever been for me.

HylianTom

Banned
Do any places still use the old style voting machines with switches and levers? Man, those things were awesome.
I used to love those; Louisiana got rid of them right after my first election (well, I moved away, so it might've been a while after that). When I was a kid, Mom would take me into the voting booth and let me vote for her (yes, she'd let me pick for her in some races), and I'd get to manipulate the levers. The sounds were so satisfying..

Everyone have their water gifs ready for tonight?
giphy.gif

User 406

Banned
But yeah, I probably won't try to game it then. It was on my mind, just as a desperate attempt to vote against Trump as hard as possible, but I'll just pick a Dem nominee.

More importantly, vote downballot too. It's probably too late since primary day is here, but next time check out whatever good local sources of political information you have so you can support local candidates in the primary that suit your preferences. There's often a lot of important stuff going on locally that affects you more strongly than the Presidency.

More importantly, vote downballot too. It's probably too late since primary day is here, but next time check out whatever good local sources of political information you have so you can support local candidates in the primary that suit your preferences. There's often a lot of important stuff going on locally that affects you more strongly than the Presidency.
It's hard though when you get down to primaries for city council in a small-to-medium sized city. I tried to find information on one candidate and all I found was a Facebook page where all the information I got was "Vote for me!"

I see. I don't think I can trust local sources of political information, but I'll definitely make use of that in the future. Thanks.

User 406

Banned
It's hard though when you get down to primaries for city council in a small-to-medium sized city. I tried to find information on one candidate and all I found was a Facebook page where all the information I got was "Vote for me!"

Yeah, that kind of research is sometimes hard to do if the race is really low level. In those cases I'd just find out what the position actually does, and ask myself if I'm unhappy with what's going on in that area, and if so, kick the bums out. :p

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

I thought I outlined it in my previous post. I'm ready for a shift to the general election. On a practical level, I think the resources getting spent right now are better served elsewhere.

Mostly I'm just talking on a personal level. I'm burning out on the election year early, and I'm ready for Hillary to start feeling inevitable again. I want one less source of anxiety in my life.

Iolo

Hello, everybody.

Guess I'm voting today for the first time in a primary. I don't really know how it works or what I need to do when I go in. I'm voting in Missouri for....one of the Democratic nominees, I guess. I mainly want to vote against Trump.

This might help a little:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/goVoteMissouri/howtovote

You need valid ID. It's open, so you just request a Democratic ballot when they ask. Normally, since you won't be voting for every downticket race, the machine may beep at you that you "undervoted". This is ok. However, it looks like today, only the presidential nominees are being voted on, the rest are August 2.

Are you a registered voter though? You don't have to be registered with a party in the primary, but you do have to be registered (by mid February).

Teggy

KKK grand dragon switches allegiance from Trump to Clinton. Sounds very convincing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...leader-who-says-he-backs-Hillary-Clinton.html

Those toxic views were voiced after the grand dragon revealed, on close questioning, that his opinions on Muslims and Mexican immigrants differed little from some of the most bitterly criticised statements made by Mr Trump. Mr Quigg warmly endorsed the Republican candidate’s plan to ban Muslims from the US and to expel 11 million illegal immigrants.

Asked why he was not therefore supporting Mr Trump, Mr Quigg replied: “We don’t like his hair. We think it’s a toupee. He won’t do what he says he will do. He says he’s going to build a 20-foot high fence along with border with Mexico and make them pay. How’s he going to do that?”

Prof Levin, a former New York police officer, was sceptical of Mr Quigg’s renunciation. “Based on his past statements, it doesn’t appear highly credible that he has changed his effusive allegiance to Donald Trump,” he said. “The timing seems suspect. I think this is a function of not wanting to undermine the Trump campaign.”

Voted. Only a few people were there, although one of the poll workers said they're expecting solid turnout today. Saw lots of Clinton signs, one Bernie sign.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NY has had mechanical voting machines up til at least the last election and maybe still. I think I voted on a paper ballot that fed into an electronic machine last time, which is literally as modern as it's ever been for me.

I've been paper fed into machine since Obama.

studyguy

Voted. Only a few people were there, although one of the poll workers said they're expecting solid turnout today. Saw lots of Clinton signs, one Bernie sign.

People bring signs to primary votes?
Must be a thing for states with something at stake.
California votes for as long as I can remember were just people in line, no fanfare. Nothing. Walk in, vote, leave.
Such is the life for those of us at the end of the line.

California votes for as long as I can remember were just people in line, no fanfare. Nothing. Walk in, vote, leave.
I think he's talking about yard signs in front of the polling location.

This might help a little:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/goVoteMissouri/howtovote

You need valid ID. It's open, so you just request a Democratic ballot when they ask. Normally, since you won't be voting for every downticket race, the machine may beep at you that you "undervoted". This is ok. However, it looks like today, only the presidential nominees are being voted on, the rest are August 2.

Are you a registered voter though? You don't have to be registered with a party in the primary, but you do have to be registered (by mid February).

I'm not registered yet. I need to get on that.

Oh, forgot to mention, Ballotpedia is a good starting point to get information on what's on your ballot. Anyone who is new to voting downticket should definitely check it out. Here's Missouri's page.

Oh my god, thank you so much!

PBY

Banned
Nate Cohn
I'm about to tweet some Ohio early vote data. It's from 5 counties: Franklin, Hamilton, Lake, Lucas, Montgomery. Total of ~90,000 abs votes

Yard signs ha, not people holding signs.

PBY

Banned
Nate CohnVerified account
‏@Nate_Cohn
5% of GOP ballot rqsts in those counties came from voters who had only participated in Dem primaries since 2008. 10% if including D 08

‏@Nate_Cohn
Another 2% of GOP requests in those 5 OH counties voted in both D/R primaries since 2008, 9% if including D 08.

NeoXChaos

If you to stop people from voting for Trump in OH just close the primaries. Although they can switch party affiliation to get around it and switch back for the general if they choose. Won't matter in general anyway.

PBY

Banned
‏@Nate_Cohn
Overall, 20% of GOP requests from those 5 Ohio counties came from voters who participated in at least one Dem primary btwn 2008 and 15

‏@Nate_Cohn
The catch, though, is that many of these vtrs voted in the 2012 R primary, so the crossover may have been Rs for '08, not Ds for 16

Franklin county is where the party is. OSU is there (my alma mater!), so is capitol university and other campuses. Also lots of Somali and Ethiopian immigrant population in the north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom