• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Obama won cook in 08 primary by 76-26

Dupage by 55-44

Andrea Emails Mitchell: Demcorats may say if Sanders win OH, if we have a nominee who cant win the rustbelt, we may be in trouble
Obama lost most of those in the primary and was fine in the general.

OH - Franklin (c-bus), Cuyahoga (cleveland), Hamilton (Cincy)

IL - Cook (Chicago). Surrounding Lake and DuPage for exurbs.

I disagree with Cohn saying Hamilton County (I'm a Cincinnatian) tilts left. Obama had a great operation here but historically the county tilts right.

Cbus for Hillary? That's OSU territory isn't it?

Lots of young folks in Columbus compared to the rest of the state, too. Most are professionals working for big firms downtown like Nationwide, AEP, etc., so they may be more moderate than Bernie's target audience.

I would also throw in: watch Lucas County (Toledo) and Wood County (suburbs). Hillary doing well there might be a sign that she has some Rust Belt/young voter support. Losing both would reaffirm Bernie's strength with his message.

Lots of young folks in Columbus compared to the rest of the state, too.

I would also throw in: watch Lucas County (Toledo) and Wood County (suburbs). Hillary doing well there might be a sign that she has some Rust Belt/young voter support. Losing both would reaffirm Bernie's strength with his message.
Erie might tell us what they think of NAFTA, right?

Erie might tell us what they think of NAFTA, right?

Dunno. Erie County/Sandusky is much more like a Youngstown or Lorain in its demographic make up so Bernie can win there, but I'd expect it to go heavily Trump on the GOP side.

In fact, Lorain County is your better bet to see if there's a strong anti-trade deal undercurrent in the electorate. I used to live there and they have been hammered unbelievably hard by manufacturing job losses. More so than Erie, which has Cedar Point and tourism to keep something going economically.

That's not how it works.

I know. I know delegate count is all that matters. But if Bernie wins Ohio, IL and MO, even if Hillary picks up more delegates and increases her lead, we are going to get hammered with a media narrative that she's slipping, can't win northern states, etc. Especially because after today Bernie has a real chance to win every state between now and New York. I don't want to go through it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Primary started for NC today, and I went over to my campus to vote in my very first election.

...for Bernie Sanders!

How many former communication directors has Cruz had? I'm tired of these networks hiring "surrogates" for each candidate. Their dissemination of ideas is disgusting.

Actually, on my last post, I'd say watch Lorain County because it should be a Hillary stronghold in traditional years. Very blue collar, mostly traditional Democrats with few young college kids outside of Oberlin and a substantial AA/Hispanic population in Lorain and Elyria (more so in the former), with quite a bit of the working class white population having union membership from working at the Ford plant in Avon Lake or the steel plant.

It's the heart of Sherrod Brown's old congressional district and if his support for Hillary can't undercut Bernie despite his popularity there, she may have a huge messaging problem on her hands in the GE.

Cast my ballot for the Queen. I like Sanders a lot better in theory than in practice. Of course if by some miracle he gets the nomination I'll be voting for him in the general. Went with Duckworth for Senate. Then of course there were a bunch of local races where the Democratic primary is the "real" election.

This was my first time voting in Illinois. Voting was done by paper ballots fed into a reader. Wisconsin was the same way. I like the paper ballots. There's something very satisfying about feeding the ballot in and hearing the reader do its thing that you don't get with the electronic voting (which I experienced in Indiana and Ohio).

The most visible presence of the machine was the people with the alder's campaign outside the polling place handing out sample ballots which suggest the machine-backed candidate in all the races.

So, is my math right here?

Assuming Kasich wins Ohio, he gets a cumulative of 129 delegates. However, after tonight, there are only 983 delegates left to win. Even if he literally swept every other state, that leaves him with 1112 delegates. Short of what he'd need to win on the first ballot. So basically, without really strong showings in non-Ohio tonight (125 delegates across the rest of the March 15 states) or a contested convention, Kasich will be mathematically eliminated tonight.

So, is my math right here?

Assuming Kasich wins Ohio, he gets a cumulative of 129 delegates. However, after tonight, there are only 983 delegates left to win. Even if he literally swept every other state, that leaves him with 1112 delegates. Short of what he'd need to win on the first ballot. So basically, without really strong showings in non-Ohio tonight (125 delegates across the rest of the states) or a contested convention, Kasich will be mathematically eliminated tonight.
Kasich's only here to win Ohio. He didn't even get 2nd in Michigan, a state he should've had a close second in.

Cast my ballot for the Queen. I like Sanders a lot better in theory than in practice. Of course if by some miracle he gets the nomination I'll be voting for him in the general. Went with Duckworth for Senate. Then of course there were a bunch of local races where the Democratic primary is the "real" election.

Same for me, except swap Illinois for Ohio and Democratic for Republican in regards to the primary with all the local races.

I live in a very blood red part of the state. My neighbors fly a Confederate flag and a Tea Party flag. From the back of their truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom