• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama will be a walking piece of history that has bonded deeply with our generation of Democrats. I don't think there's a precedent for that in modern politics; we talk about the Kennedys in similar tones but that's because they got martyred.

To be fair JFK was beloved by his party, especially young people, before his death and definitely was walking history briefly. He was the first president a lot of people felt they identified with personally. But in terms of living history overall yes you're right. He had a legacy before he did a single thing as president, and now will be able to grow into that legacy as it becomes larger, he's given credit for things he perhaps doesn't deserve (the benefit of presidents), etc. Given how brown the country is getting, and the liberal trajectory socially, he could easily be the most beloved man in America in 10-15 years.

Cerium

I mean, if you don't have superdelegates for a Trump case then you don't have superdelegates at all. The point is to have at least a technically sanctioned way to force the party away from a disaster.

My point is that superdelegates are a paper tiger. In any situation where the party would actually need to use them to override the will of the voters, the party is already fucked no matter what. Hillary had overwhelming superdelegate support in 2008, and by the end most of them had switched for precisely this reason. The voters will not accept it.

Iolo

So my mom keeps on freaking out about Trump because of the people switching from Dem to Republican before the primary.

She's legit terrified that Trump is going to win the general election even though I've tried to explain to her multiple times the general election layout, minority vote, the GOP intentionally trying to deny him the primary, the down ticket seats being told to distance themselves...

Yea, she's thinks I'm wrong and that I'm "treating her like an idiot", anyone have other sources or articles/numbers to show her so I don't have to listen to her freak out every time we listen to the nightly news during dinner, I'm not going to be able to stay sane listening to the same freakout for the next six months.

She should be freaking out, she's not completely wrong, and the best thing to do is channel that freaking out energy into volunteering for a campaign. Frankly, it sounds like you (and a lot of Democrats, including here) are complacent about Trump, what with all the premature talk about Hillary ramming through a liberal SC nominee and 57-seat senate majorities. The election hasn't even started yet.

I would assume that Obama is going to write a memoir about his time in office, make a shit-ton of money doing speaking tours and not releasing the transcripts, and work on finally getting his stand-up comedy career off the ground.

Edit: Also, on an unrelated note, what's weird is that Trump is totally hilarious when he's unscripted, but when he did that Comedy Central Roast, he was the stiffest, most unlikable "comedian" to ever take one of those stages.

I'd seriously love for Obama to do a few stand up bits after his time in office. He's like a funny Seinfeld.

Just watching the BBC documentary Adam mentioned earlier, about Obama's first 100 days in office.

Christ it's depressing. The level of hatred and obstructionism from the Republican's is really something terrifying to behold. How *anyone* can claim both parties re the same is beyond me, and beyond any sort of facts or reality.

(Also how anyone can think that racism isn't a part of what drives the R party).

The one that got me was when a low level staffer told someone "We're never going to work with you on anything." This was their plan all along. He would be a failed President no amtter what they did. Luckily, he was just too awesome for their small minds.

Do you have a link to that by any chance? It sounds awesome (and depressing).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07470xw/inside-obamas-white-house-1-100-days

You need a VPN or a DNS switcher if you're in the states. I pay for one through AdFreeTime. $2 a month. Totally worth it. No ads on Youtube, and you can watch BBC and 4oD on PS4.

Ophelion

Just watching the BBC documentary Adam mentioned earlier, about Obama's first 100 days in office.

Christ it's depressing. The level of hatred and obstructionism from the Republican's is really something terrifying to behold. How *anyone* can claim both parties re the same is beyond me, and beyond any sort of facts or reality.

(Also how anyone can think that racism isn't a part of what drives the R party).

Had this basic argument with a room mate last night. He said, "Both parties are really kind of the same party. The only difference is the degree to which they are capable of governance at this point."

More of that lazy "corporations bought everything, nobody actually cares, wake up sheeple!" kind of ranting that you just kind of have to let them get out of their system before commiserating briefly over how frustrating politics can be and then insinuating examples to the contrary into the conversation. I doubt he was convinced, but I am persuasive over time. I've convinced him that voting for Hillary won't mark him as hellbound in the afterlife if and when it comes to that in the GE. That's something at least.

Teggy

Hillary's secret weapon will be women who hate her but hate Trump even more

Roszka vents about how Clinton’s handling of the Benghazi attacks was disgraceful, her feminism is phony and her ambition is off-putting.

“She wants to be elected at all costs,” said Roszka, a 63-year-old from suburban Detroit who often votes Republican, as she did in last week’s primary.

Yet Roszka says when she votes in November, it will very likely be for Clinton.

Donald Trump has driven her to it. “I do not want Trump under any circumstances,” she said of the New York billionaire who looks headed to appear on the ballot alongside Clinton, after both candidates won a round of key states Tuesday. “So much so that I will not vote for the Republican Party at all if he runs.”

I would assume that Obama is going to write a memoir about his time in office, make a shit-ton of money doing speaking tours and not releasing the transcripts, and work on finally getting his stand-up comedy career off the ground.

Edit: Also, on an unrelated note, what's weird is that Trump is totally hilarious when he's unscripted, but when he did that Comedy Central Roast, he was the stiffest, most unlikable "comedian" to ever take one of those stages.

He plans on doing some major stuff with My Brothers Keeper and other community based organizing groups. Of course he'll be making a ton of money as well but I think he's going to do some truly great things out of office.

Obama will be a walking piece of history that has bonded deeply with our generation of Democrats. I don't think there's a precedent for that in modern politics; we talk about the Kennedys in similar tones but that's because they got martyred.
Ymean like Reagan?

I have to see Obama speak before I die. Hopefully he campaigns for HRC somewhere I can travel to this summer.

I saw him back in 2008 in orlando (I think clinton was there). I've seen biden like twice I think and michelle too'

This was the one: Hillary, Clinton, Biden, Nelson (first Clinton appearance since June)

http://www.c-span.org/video/?281891-1/obama-campaign-rally-orlando-florida

I was super far away though. Lol

I might get to see bernie and hillary in a few weeks. I'm going to the Democratic Rural Conference in Albany next month and its like the weekend before the primary so I think they might make appearances.

Maengun1

Obama gave a speech at my university when he was running in 2008..............on a day when I was out of town. I'm still mad I missed it. I've never gotten another chance to see him.

Standing athwart history, yelling
EK99h.gif

The one that got me was when a low level staffer told someone "We're never going to work with you on anything." This was their plan all along. He would be a failed President no amtter what they did. Luckily, he was just too awesome for their small minds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07470xw/inside-obamas-white-house-1-100-days

You need a VPN or a DNS switcher if you're in the states. I pay for one through AdFreeTime. $2 a month. Totally worth it. No ads on Youtube, and you can watch BBC and 4oD on PS4.
I switched over to a normal VPN. Much more reliable IMO, I have Private Internet Access. I used to do AdFreeTime but didn't like it after netflix bailed on VPNS and DNS

Also my mom discovered gifs and she's way better at them than me. Its only a matter of time till she's at gay-gaf's level

I switched over to a normal VPN. Much more reliable IMO, I have Private Internet Access. I used to do AdFreeTime but didn't like it after netflix bailed on VPNS and DNS

Also my mom discovered gifs and she's way better at them than me. Its only a matter of time till she's at gay-gaf's level
Netflix blocked PIA too. My British friend can't use US Netflix anymore.

User 406

Banned
I wish magazines would stop putting shit in front of their logos. How am I supposed to know what they're called?!?

The signature layout of the solid color border is the key. It's clearly National Geographic.

What's her current best speech in your (or the HillHive's) opinion?

I'm gonna go with her Harlem speech. I can't remember a single white politician in my lifetime giving a speech that went that deep into racism. She learned a lot from BLM.

I really think the presidential debates, barring some disaster on Hillary's part, are going to drive home the point that Trump isn't fit to run the country. I think Hillary has a strong case to make that being president is about more than whether you're liberal or conservative, but also how you cope under pressure, your decorum, your ability to maintain relations with foreign leaders, your level headedness under duress, and your ability to work with others. These are all qualities that, even if some agree with his xenophobic isolationism, voters would have difficulty finding in Trump. I think the pool of people who just want to tear down the system at any cost is fairly limited, as is the pool of people who despise the browning of America so much that they'd support banning religious groups and building walls.

My concern, though, is that Hillary and Trump are both disliked, intensely, by huge groups of people. I don't think there's an election in recent history where so many voters will feel as if their choice is between a lesser of two evils. I think having two candidates that so few people are excited about will only build upon the anti-establishment sentiment and I worry about the kind of political views, and therefore future presidential candidates, the next few years will give us. I hesitate to say Trump is the bottom of the barrel. I think we're going to see some even crazier characters in 2020.

Do you know if you can do the live streams of BBC with PIA? That's the only thing I'm not happy with through AdFreeTime. Well, that and the Netflix thing which has nothing to do with them. I just need it for BBC and 4oD, though.

Well, and for getting Schitt's Creek out of Canada.

Netflix blocked PIA too. My British friend can't use US Netflix anymore.

:( I was looking into PIA because I like international Netflix.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
She's going to have the lowest favorables in the world for someone elected in a landslide.

Her favorability is going to increase when Emperor Obama starts singing her praises every other day. Not to mention Biden, Warren and all the hollwyood movie stars. Though I dont know if Hillary is going to want Ben Affleck's endorsement. lol

Remember, her numbers before the emails and Benghazi hearings were through the roof. Republican smear campaigns have finally caught up to her and the bad numbers will die down eventually.

Do you know if you can do the live streams of BBC with PIA? That's the only thing I'm not happy with through AdFreeTime. Well, that and the Netflix thing which has nothing to do with them. I just need it for BBC and 4oD, though.

Well, and for getting Schitt's Creek out of Canada.

:( I was looking into PIA because I like international Netflix.

I think so.

It tunnels everything through england so I think you can

edit: I think they might block VPNs on live stuff.

Crocodile

But Lindsay Graham is one of those people. He's been staunchly anti-gay rights and wanted a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage for years. He's not big on church/state separation and uses religion to justify his war hawking. His bits of self-deprecation don't make his policies any better.

I wasn't aware of some of those things. That's super disappointing :( Nonetheless, as Kusagari stated, my point wasn't that Lindsay Graham was good but rather he looked like one of the least bad among notable national republicans.

Bowdz

Her favorability is going to increase when Emperor Obama starts singing her praises every other day. Not to mention Biden, Warren and all the hollwyood movie stars. Though I dont know if Hillary is going to want Ben Affleck's endorsement. lol

Remember, her numbers before the emails and Benghazi hearings were through the roof. Republican smear campaigns have finally caught up to her and the bad numbers will die down eventually.

Especially if the FBI doesn't recommend an indictment. That will put the email issue in the same bin as Benghazi: something that only fires up the far right of the country.

Grief.exe

Especially if the FBI doesn't recommend an indictment. That will put the email issue in the same bin as Benghazi: something that only fires up the far right of the country.

As far as I know the indictment and criminal prosecution is completely off the table in Hillary's case.

You know what? Come the hell on. I was salty as hell in 2008, but I didn't freaking plan on throwing the entire country under the damn bus because me fee-fees got hurt and I didn't get the candidate I wanted. I was 20/21 then, same age as most of these kids. Get over yourself. You had a shot. Your candidate has probably lost. Get over it.

Ya, I sound like a cold hearted bitch, and I totally am, but please.

shem935

Banned

Love the "You can recognize the will of the people or we will write in"

"You can recognize democracy in action and the will of the people in a genuine political process that is acting as intended or we will act like spoiled children who can't get their way"

Cerium

You know what? Come the hell on. I was salty as hell in 2008, but I didn't freaking plan on throwing the entire country under the damn bus because me fee-fees got hurt and I didn't get the candidate I wanted. I was 20/21 then, same age as most of these kids. Get over yourself. You had a shot. Your candidate has probably lost. Get over it.

I've been on the winning side both times and while I like winning, dealing with this shit gets old.

Today in shit which is infuriating but maybe 2% of the electorate will bother with.

Yeah. I don't even see the point in getting worked up about things like this, or promoting it for that matter. It gets tossed in with people who think the Earth is flat, creationists, people who interpret the Bible literally, those who think Tupac is still alive and KKK members: crazy people who don't constitute a large enough group to really care about or engage with.

Adam387 said:

I mean, if you just want to be mad at Bernie supporters then by all means, but let's not pretend like any meaningful amount of people even support this idea. I can list out a few hundred groups of people with similarly asinine beliefs and we can pretend like they're influential enough to matter, but I think it's better to recognize how inconsequential they are and not sprout gray hairs over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom