• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
CdxlTi0UAAAk6Uo.jpg

These people can't just accept a majority of Democrats prefer Clinton. She has to be cheating somehow.

CCS

Banned
I'm reminded of that Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

EDIT: Actually, I retract that. A majority of people are somewhat sane, the idiots are just very loud.

Bowdz

As far as I know the indictment and criminal prosecution is completely off the table in Hillary's case.

Nothing is off the table until the FBI and DoJ have made a final ruling. There has been a lot of reading of the tea leaves, but nobody outside of the AG and FBI have any sound knowledge about the case and despite a few "leaks" to GOP sources, the final outcome is unknown.

CCS

Banned
If Clinton takes Utah and goes big in Arizona there's going to be a severe danger of marine extinctions due to the excess salt from r/s4p.

These people can't just accept a majority of Democrats prefer Clinton. She has to be cheating somehow.

In their defense, if you're 18-30 and most of your friends are too and you don't follow politics with the level of scrutiny poligaf does, I'd imagine it really does seem like all these Hillary voters are coming out of nowhere. That doesn't excuse stupidity, but I can see why they feel disillusioned given the seeming ubiquity of Bernie support in their day-to-day life. It's pretty rare that a candidate can get ~85% of an entire generational group and then can't clench the nomination.

I'm reminded of that Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

EDIT: Actually, I retract that. A majority of people are somewhat sane, the idiots are just very loud.

He also said democracy is the worst form of government, except for all others. The fact that people have the freedom to throw away their vote like that is what's great.

johnsmith

remember me
Another day, another "Kasich is a misogynist" story

http://gawker.com/reminder-john-kas..._medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=thursdayPM

While spending several days with reporter Molly Ball for a profile in The Atlantic, Kasich told Ball that:
..he did not read The Atlantic—and his wife didn’t, either. He said that my job, writing about politics and politicians, was “really a dumb thing to do.” Later, he singled me out in a meeting of cabinet officials to upbraid me for what he considered a stupid question in one of our interviews.

I mean, if you just want to be mad at Bernie supporters then by all means, but let's not pretend like any meaningful amount of people even support this idea. I can list out a few hundred groups of people with similarly asinine beliefs and we can pretend like they're influential enough to matter, but I think it's better to recognize how inconsequential they are and not sprout gray hairs over them.

I'm not mad at all Bernie supporters. I'm mad at people who post stuff like that. A write in candidate is not going to do shit, even if huge swatches of people voted for him. It's nothing more than being a sore loser.

You (and I mean the universal you who believes the stuff in that stupid meme) don't get to say the will of the people only matters as long as they vote the way you want them to. Democracy means your person can lose. If that happens, you have to get over it.

So I listened to Bill Simmons Podcast today with former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreu and he had the most amazing Ted Cruz story.

Apparently, when Cruz was in college, he and his roommates in the dorm would play Poker. One night, Cruz was so far behind that he was down like $2000 or something.

Because Cruz had no intention of paying off his debt, he went to the RA and tattled on the group for illegally gambling and got the whole group punished but he didn't have to pay off (since it was against the rules).

I laughed out loud. It's the most quintessential Cruz story ever.

Kangi

In their defense, if you're 18-30 and most of your friends are too and you don't follow politics with the level of scrutiny poligaf does, I'd imagine it really does seem like all these Hillary voters are coming out of nowhere. That doesn't excuse stupidity, but I can see why they feel disillusioned given the seeming ubiquity of Bernie support in their day-to-day life. It's pretty rare that a candidate can get ~85% of an entire generational group and then can't clench the nomination.

It's why you see such exasperation among some Bernie supporters in OT. Despite there, by the numbers, being more Bernie supporters around these parts (NeoGAF's average demographic overlaps a lot there), the fact that they see any sizable number of Hillary supporters puts them in disbelief. Therefore, we're some HillGAF hive mind and they're poor, oppressed Bernie supporters.

...Which doesn't make much sense, because there are plenty of Bernie bubbles on the internet they can go to if they don't want to face any opposition to Bernie.

I'm not mad at all Bernie supporters. I'm mad at people who post stuff like that. A write in candidate is not going to do shit, even if huge swatches of people voted for him. It's nothing more than being a sore loser.

You (and I mean the universal you who believes the stuff in that stupid meme) don't get to say the will of the people only matters as long as they vote the way you want them to. Democracy means your person can lose. If that happens, you have to get over it.

My sentiments exactly. Let them eat cake.

shem935

Banned
So I listened to Bill Simmons Podcast today with former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreu and he had the most amazing Ted Cruz story.

Apparently, when Cruz was in college, he and his roommates in the dorm would play Poker. One night, Cruz was so far behind that he was down like $2000 or something.

Because Cruz had no intention of paying off his debt, he went to the RA and tattled on the group for illegally gambling and got the whole group punished but he didn't have to pay off (since it was against the rules).

Dang he sucks at poker.

This was probably his face when he had a good hand:
CWUGgnXWsAA3Eyy.jpg

Another day, another "Kasich is a misogynist" story

http://gawker.com/reminder-john-kas..._medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=thursdayPM

While spending several days with reporter Molly Ball for a profile in The Atlantic, Kasich told Ball that:
..he did not read The Atlantic—and his wife didn’t, either. He said that my job, writing about politics and politicians, was “really a dumb thing to do.” Later, he singled me out in a meeting of cabinet officials to upbraid me for what he considered a stupid question in one of our interviews.

Finally someone in the media noticed.

pigeon

Banned

Is it? I don't have data, but I remember a very similar thing happening with Howard Dean in 2004. Where's benji and his encyclopedia grasp of political history?

I feel like it is not at all uncommon to have a Democratic candidate that captures the majority of the youth vote, but loses the primary because there just aren't that many youth voters. It's usually pretty demoralizing for the youth, too.

You know what? Come the hell on. I was salty as hell in 2008, but I didn't freaking plan on throwing the entire country under the damn bus because me fee-fees got hurt and I didn't get the candidate I wanted. I was 20/21 then, same age as most of these kids. Get over yourself. You had a shot. Your candidate has probably lost. Get over it.

Ya, I sound like a cold hearted bitch, and I totally am, but please.

Just the other day you were defending people wanting to vote for Bernie to do so in the primaries despite the fact that he'll most likely lose.

Now you don't want people to do a write in for Bernie if they feel so inclined.

It's their vote. They probably aren't even Democrats so why would you care? First their just a fringe group who won't amount to anything... then next they are destroying the Democratic party with their rights to write in whoever they want!

Cerium

Change a few words and it reads like the Tea Party.

Change a few words and it reads like MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Just the other day you were defending people wanting to vote for Bernie to do so in the primaries despite the fact that he'll most likely lose.

It's their vote. They probably aren't even Democrats so why would you care? First their just a fringe group who won't amount to anything... then next they are destroying the Democratic party with their rights to write in whoever they want!
They are free to write in Bernie, and we are free to call them idiots.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WHY AM I SO PERSECUTED /Ted Cruz

Isn't Samantha bee ridiculously good?

Are there any more democratic debates for the queen to win?

Is it? I don't have data, but I remember a very similar thing happening with Howard Dean in 2004. Where's benji and his encyclopedia grasp of political history?

I feel like it is not at all uncommon to have a Democratic candidate that captures the majority of the youth vote, but loses the primary because there just aren't that many youth voters. It's usually pretty demoralizing for the youth, too.

A cursory glance at some exit polls from 2004 seems to suggest that Dean never had nearly the hegemony on the youth vote that Bernie does, although he did seem to have a plurality of it.

For instance, Dean got about 25% of the 18-29 vote in Iowa and 34% of the 18-29 vote in New Hampshire. In each instance, he was only a few percentage points ahead of the 2nd place candidate for that age group.

CCS

Banned
WHY AM I SO PERSECUTED /Ted Cruz

Isn't Samantha bee ridiculously good?

Are there any more democratic debates for the queen to win?

Didn't you hear? Debates are just a tool of the mainstream media so instead Weaver and Devine are just going to scream the phrase "WALL STREET TRANSCRIPTS" at Clinton for two hours until the entire electorate rises up and crowns Bernie emperor.

Bronx-Man

Banned

No wonder no one in Congress likes the douche.

Didn't you hear? Debates are just a tool of the mainstream media so instead Weaver and Devine are just going to scream the phrase "WALL STREET TRANSCRIPTS" at Clinton for two hours until the entire electorate rises up and crowns Bernie emperor.

Best debate... EVER.

Cerium

That is so Cruz.

Someone should make an animated cartoon about a timeline where Cruz and Trump were college roommates.

Comparing Bernie fans to the Tea Party is a little unfair because the Tea Party was actually successful!

Successful at what?

Obamacare got passed

Obama got his 2nd term

Gays can marry now

The GoP is never winning another GE for next several decades at least

What exactly have they accomplished?

pigeon

Banned

I mean, I don't think this is that weird. If people want to vote for Bernie in the primaries, that's fine. If Hillary's almost certainly going to win, then it doesn't matter what you do in the primaries.

But writing in Bernie in the general has actual potential to cost her states! Which would be bad.

So, I mean, incentives are consistent here. If your primary goal is for a Democrat to win the presidency by as much as possible, then you're fine with a doomed primary challenge, but much less fine with an insurgent third party/write-in campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom