• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

So I listened to Bill Simmons Podcast today with former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreu and he had the most amazing Ted Cruz story.

Apparently, when Cruz was in college, he and his roommates in the dorm would play Poker. One night, Cruz was so far behind that he was down like $2000 or something.

Because Cruz had no intention of paying off his debt, he went to the RA and tattled on the group for illegally gambling and got the whole group punished but he didn't have to pay off (since it was against the rules).

I laughed out loud. It's the most quintessential Cruz story ever.
Damn, that's so crazy I can't even believe it. I'm pretty sure we could come up with any asshole Ted story and we'd believe it.

CdxlTi0UAAAk6Uo.jpg

People not old enough to remember 2000, I assume.

Successful at what?

Obamacare got passed

Obama got his 2nd term

Gays can marry now

The GoP is never winning another GE for next several decades at least

What exactly have they accomplished?

Did you know you can buy a gun and conceal carry it in West Virginia now without any sort of background check or training? The tea party has been doing serious damage at the state level. West Virginia has also passed right-to-work laws and is going to start drug testing welfare applicants. And this is a state that went for Bill in '96.

Just the other day you were defending people wanting to vote for Bernie to do so in the primaries despite the fact that he'll most likely lose.

Now you don't want people to do a write in for Bernie if they feel so inclined.

It's their vote. They probably aren't even Democrats so why would you care? First their just a fringe group who won't amount to anything... then next they are destroying the Democratic party with their rights to write in whoever they want!

And I'll still defend anyone who wants to vote Bernie in the primary, because it's (probably) not going to make an ounce of difference. In fact, I've expressed my admiration for some of the things the people on Reddit have done. They're passionate and engaged. That's great. I love to see that. I think a lot of it is misguided, but that's just me being a black hearted bitch. :p

However, writing in Bernie, even a few thousand people, has the potential to sway the election. I'm sure the numbers are minuscule, but the idea that I'm mocking is "Do what we want or else!" It's asinine. They're trying to threaten their way to the nomination. It's stupid, and I will call it as such.

danm999

So I listened to Bill Simmons Podcast today with former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreu and he had the most amazing Ted Cruz story.

Apparently, when Cruz was in college, he and his roommates in the dorm would play Poker. One night, Cruz was so far behind that he was down like $2000 or something.

Because Cruz had no intention of paying off his debt, he went to the RA and tattled on the group for illegally gambling and got the whole group punished but he didn't have to pay off (since it was against the rules).

I laughed out loud. It's the most quintessential Cruz story ever.

Nasty guy Ted Cruz. Very nasty guy.

Did you know you can buy a gun and conceal carry it in West Virginia now without any sort of background check or training? The tea party has been doing serious damage at the state level. West Virginia has also passed right-to-work laws and is going to start drug testing welfare applicants. And this is a state that went for Bill in '96.

Sigh, I keep forgetting how much of a stranglehold the GoP still has at the state and local level.

Makai

And I'll still defend anyone who wants to vote Bernie in the primary, because it's (probably) not going to make an ounce of difference. In fact, I've expressed my admiration for some of the things the people on Reddit have done. They're passionate and engaged. That's great. I love to see that. I think a lot of it is misguided, but that's just me being a black hearted bitch. :p

However, writing in Bernie, even a few thousand people, has the potential to sway the election. I'm sure the numbers are minuscule, but the idea that I'm mocking is "Do what we want or else!" It's asinine. They're trying to threaten their way to the nomination. It's stupid, and I will call it as such.

The opponent is Donald Trump. It's probably not going to be close! No worries.

I mean, I don't think this is that weird. If people want to vote for Bernie in the primaries, that's fine. If Hillary's almost certainly going to win, then it doesn't matter what you do in the primaries.

But writing in Bernie in the general has actual potential to cost her states! Which would be bad.

So, I mean, incentives are consistent here. If your primary goal is for a Democrat to win the presidency by as much as possible, then you're fine with a doomed primary challenge, but much less fine with an insurgent third party/write-in campaign.

Well thats if you views are in inline with the Democratic party. I would say a lot of Bernie supporters myself included would classify themselves closest to Democrats but don't necessarily agree with the parties candidate.

Anyway if you're happy with a two party system then more power to you... but if you're not happy with the direction of either party then why not use your voice when it counts? This is of course if there truly are big enough numbers behind Bernie in the general to cause any significant split in Democratic votes.

I can see that. It's not a really eloquent way to garner support. But lots of young people are angry since their futures are getting less and less stable. So I can see where they are coming from when things like that pop up. Of course I would never side with the ones who would rather vote for Drumpf.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Chuck Schumer: "Donald Trump won't be making America great again, but he will be making Republicans the minority again."

This guy :lol

I agree, but it's the sentiment that gets me. If your candidate loses (or is losing) you don't get to just stick your fingers in your ear and say I'll burn this mutha down if you don't do exactly what I want. It's laughable.

Even I wasn't that delusional a la 2008. I was close, but not that bad. I just thought our party got it wrong, but I had to respect the decision. The only thing I was salty about was Florida and Michigan.

I'll take 'Things the RNC Said' for $100, Alex.

(I agree, but he defies logic. He grabs blue collar workers, and motivates racists and the disillusioned. He is not to be underestimated)

Trump's campaign manager on CNN for the past half hour was hilarious.
Most of these people were barely alive in 2000, or have no idea what you're talking about. And even if they did know they might not care, because it's their first election and don't understand that this is Serious Business™.

They were probably watching Teletubbies and listening to the Kids Bop version of "All Star" at that time.

Not surprising really, there are people eligible to vote in November who were 3 back in 2000.

Trump's campaign manager on CNN for the past half hour was hilarious.
Most of these people were barely alive in 2000, or have no idea what you're talking about. And even if they did know they might not care, because it's their first election and don't understand that this is Serious Business™.

We need to form a SuperPAC to run ads showing the 2000 debacle.

(Does anyone else remember the vote trading stuff back in 2000? Supposedly there were websites devoted to trading votes from 'safe' states to swing states to make sure the election wasn't completely disrupted. Mentioning because our idealistic berniebros don't appear that wise 16 years later)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom