• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cdx8bpHWoAA_Li3.jpg:large

giphy.gif

johnsmith

remember me
I love that the Dem convention is 2nd again this year. Going to be such a contrast compared to the guaranteed clusterfuck of the GOP convention.

Cerium

Amazing how many conservative pundits are given so much power.

Is there anything remotely equivalent to Erickson or Rush Limbaugh on the left? Loud, hyperpartisan pundits who dictate the party conversation? Like who the hell listens to kos?

This goes back to what I was saying earlier about the vacuum of Republican leadership. They don't have an Obama lurking in the background to set the tone. They don't have a universally respected figure. They don't have a leader, and so you have these pundit blowhards filling the empty space with their bloviating. You can't have unity without a leader.

They've been so long without a leader that they CRAVE authority; along comes Trump and the rest is history.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Watching Fox News and listening to conservative radio the day after the 2012 with all the comedy that had built up with delusional "unskewing" and Dick Morris's "Romney landslide" stuff was one of the best things ever. I wished I had taken that day off work and just watched TV with six pack of beer and a big plate of nachos and snacks.

Watching Fox News and listening to conservative radio the day after the 2012 with all the comedy that had built up with delusional "unskewing" and Dick Morris's "Romney landslide" stuff was one of the best things ever. I wished I had taken that day off work and just watched TV with six pack of beer.

I recently watched the video with Morris talking about Romney winning. "Well you see Gallup says there's actually 2 points more Republicans than Democrats and the other polls are showing 4 points more Democrats than Republicans so that's a Romney 6 point lead in Iowa plus probably another 2 points for independents since they tend to break for the challenger. It's not going to be close."

Greta wasn't buying his shit and you could tell. "So you're the only one who knows and everyone else is wrong, Dick?"

Boke1879

Watching Fox News and listening to conservative radio the day after the 2012 with all the comedy that had built up with delusional "unskewing" and Dick Morris's "Romney landslide" stuff was one of the best things ever. I wished I had taken that day off work and just watched TV with six pack of beer and a big plate of nachos and snacks.

This year I'm taking election day off and that Wednesday off. I'm going to need those two days to process everything. Regardless of what happens.

That said Election day should really be a national holiday.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Amazing how many conservative pundits are given so much power.

Is there anything remotely equivalent to Erickson or Rush Limbaugh on the left? Loud, hyperpartisan pundits who dictate the party conversation? Like who the hell listens to kos?

Would be nice if more people listened to Kos. He seems to be one of the few liberals to not lose his mind this election.

SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV), MINORITY LEADER: The sort of punch first, ask questions later leadership is exactly what we've come to expect from Donald Trump. We know where he learned it. If Senator McConnell wonders from where Donald Trump came, he should take a look in the mirror. No one is working harder to support Trump than Mitch McConnell.

This goes back to what I was saying earlier about the vacuum of Republican leadership. They don't have an Obama lurking in the background to set the tone. They don't have a universally respected figure. They don't have a leader, and so you have these pundit blowhards filling the empty space with their bloviating. You can't have unity without a leader.

They've been so long without a leader that they CRAVE authority; along comes Trump and the rest is history.
Is it safe to say then that they only held power between 2000-2008 because of circumstance?

2000 was a fluke and 2004 had Bush riding high on the war on terror (for as much crap as Kerry gets for being a poor candidate I don't think anyone would have done much better realistically).

Additionally the needle never moved much in Congress from their high watermark of Gingrich's 94 win. They would have even lost House seats in 04 but for mid-decade redistricting in Texas. And Democrats still held plenty of power in Southern states in state legislatures and governors, them voting red at state levels too is more of a recent phenomenon.

Goddamn this party has been lost since the 80s.

danm999

Do they not realize that this shit plays right into Trump's "establishment is just awful" shtick?

Yup. This is the pitch they gave for Romney in 2012. We have to go with the establishment candidate or we won't win.

Well they're just not buying it this time around.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Today in utter delusion news, the top thread on r/s4p with over 6000 upvotes:

To be fair, this is the currently top upvoted post. Some of these people are coming to their senses. I hate to be too hard on them.

It's still not entirely realistic, but at least it's not delusional.

danm999

To be fair, this is the currently top upvoted post. Some of these people are coming to their senses. I hate to be too hard on them.

I've also seen some talk of discussing grass roots local and state candidates they can shift their focus to until the general, so its not like the place is totally divorced from reality.

CCS

Banned

Yeah, there seems to be a pretty big divide between the "EVERYTHING IS FINE" lot and those who've accepted their fate.

Would be nice if more people listened to Kos. He seems to be one of the few liberals to not lose his mind this election.
Yeah kos is actually pretty rational. But he's been involved in politics so long (originally as a Republican, even) that it's not surprising he has a bit more perspective than the young Bernie liberals who are only used to winning all the time (midterms aside, which never factor into these broad narratives anyway - the White House is the prize).

Suikoguy

I've also seen some talk of discussing grass roots local and state candidates they can shift their focus to until the general, so its not like the place is totally divorced from reality.

That's a miracle in itself. Since that has to happen before either Hillary or Sanders can get much of anything done.

Maledict

After Tuesday the Hillary reddit seemed to have quite a few Bernie folk coming over and signing up. As the polls keep telling us, I think the majority of Bernie fans will vote for Clinton - it's just a small, very vocal minority that won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom