• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to quantify how much I love that movie. Part of the reason I moved to LA to pursue an acting career is because of how much I loved that movie and specifically DDL's performance in it.

Is it fair to say that Daniel Day-Lewis is a badass with how he prepares for everything? Because I don't want to be right if it isn't.

kirblar

To be honest I'm not even sure why Bernie is touching the superdelegate strategy thing with a ten foot pole.

You want to be a message candidate brush off process questions with "I'm here to talk about the issues blah blah blah" don't engage in the shades of "this is how fucked I am".
Because he never wanted to be a message candidate.

He wanted to pull a Trump.

shem935

Banned
Daniel B·;198569339 said:
My point is that, with Hillary, the establishment could be compounding their major [post=185582963]blunder[/post] with Barack "TPP" Obama, which gifted Bernie his opening, and pitting her against Drumpf, might just lose them the Presidency.

You should read this.

Diablos

To be honest I'm not even sure why Bernie is touching the superdelegate strategy thing with a ten foot pole.

You want to be a message candidate brush off process questions with "I'm here to talk about the issues blah blah blah" don't engage in the shades of "this is how fucked I am".
In think it's pretty amazing how right after Bernie tells everyone to ignore superdelefates, he's now begging for them to back him over Hillary. Bernie is such a fraud.

If this guy fucks this up for us... Ugh. His behavior tells me he's growing increasingly irrational and prone to doing something really dumb, like going third party.

Bernie's biggest flaw is that he is not a Democrat,
now he is begging the Party members to back him instead of a party loyalist

hahahahahahahahah

make your own party

Ya....

I think I'm done with Bernie. I used t kinda like him well enough, even though I thought he would be a disastrous nominee for President.

Now, I can't say I even like him.

Not sure if he's just doing whatever Devine and Weaver say, or if he's bought into his own hype. I thought he'd just let his surrogates make this awful argument though.

T'Zariah

Banned
Not sure if he's just doing whatever Devine and Weaver say, or if he's bought into his own hype.
Latter. The difference between him and Obama is that Obama never bought into his own hype for a goddamn second, and if he did he didn't show it and the Presidency itself humbled him

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think he's just saying words. Please y'all.

The context of the video made it no better.

The bottom line is, unless there are extenuating circumstances, the supers should not override the pledged delegates.

Is it fair to say that Daniel Day-Lewis is a badass with how he prepares for everything? Because I don't want to be right if it isn't.

It's insane. I mean, I've never worked with him personally, but I've followed enough stuff to know that he goes beyond pretty much any other actor in terms of preparing for and committing to a role. Being in the industry myself now, it's kind of incredible to see how intense he is compared to the average actor who will joke around with crew members between takes and generally try to maintain a sense of levity on set. DDL just doesn't give a shit about that.

Funny enough, I did do a commercial with his son once.

I think he's just saying words. Please y'all.

I wouldn't bother if I was you. The outcome is "Yay Hillary / No Sanders" , the event is merely whatever allows that conclusion to be reached at any given time. At least the event is at least logically related to the outcome , for someone who's not already embedded behind Hillary this time which is an improvement over the average.

Though it is mildly amusing to see people who were saying about Sander's being unable to play the primary rules was entirely his problem, now being. But I think the radically improved opinion of Fox after Hillary's excellent performance in that debate was better.

Latter. The difference between him and Obama is that Obama never bought into his own hype for a goddamn second, and if he did he didn't show it and the Presidency itself humbled him

Yep. Exactly. There was a great podcast last week with Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer where they talk specifically about this. Obama told them that he's only doing it because he thinks he can do something good. He didn't feel like he NEEDED the Presidency at all.

Here's a link if anyone wants to listen.

The Bill Simmons Podcast: 75: Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer
https://overcast.fm/+FPVnxtHDM

I think going forward we are gong to find Bernie Sander's support is going to start dropping pretty quick. A quick glance through the comments on Bernie for prez Reddit show the supporters completely demoralized and now getting pissed at all the disorganization and claims of extreme phonebanking will win the day... And in fact I think it is showing as the total calls made has completely CRASHED, and I wouldn't be surprised Bernie is going to run into money trouble soon since he spends more money then any other candidate right now.

Throw in the extreme "ways to win the nomination" strategies he is running with, and he is now looking a little sad to be honest and it is only going to destroy his message going into the future.

Kangi

The fuck?

I told ya'll not to underestimate Dr. Willie Wilson. But ya'll went on and did it anyway. And look at you now.

This country will be buried beneath the Willielution. #shillary and #berntout have nothing on this momentum.

I have no idea why it's showing that but The Guardian's results page is also reflecting it now and I'm a little frightened.

Regardless, go Willie!

Iolo

No Rachel. We are not going to have a contested convention. I thought she was smart enough to understand that when there's only 2 candidates, at least 1 will get 50%.

That total includes supers, though. There are 4,051 pledged and 714 supers, totaling 4,765. You need 2,383 to win and 2,026 for a majority of pledged delegates. So, while it is extremely likely for one of two candidates to get a majority of pledged delegates—which should end the race right there—it's unlikely that someone wins outright at this point with a majority of total delegates. That would require a lead of more than 714 pledged delegates.

Thus, if you were willing to poison your reputation with the other side's supporters, you could attempt to swing up to 714 supers in order to clinch. I'm not sure if this would be a "contested" convention though. It would be more like Bernie wtf stop what even is this.

Awww <3

Shut up. I clean up good.

I'd be shaking like a junky looking for a fix, though. :p

I'd be YASSS QUEEN OMG WERK BITCH YASSSSSSS>

Abbi and Ilana made it through

I feel their awe of being in her Brooklyn HQ. I should take more pictures next time im there

These are all I have

wAkHPOM.jpg

NNOZqK7.jpg

8qi3Lxr.jpg

VJ98w21.jpg
The arrow in that last photo says YAAAAAASSSS

I think it's all bluster. If he's still talking about prying away superdelegates and such in June then, yeah, not cool on his part.
This is where I'm at. And talk of a contested convention is just cable news cobbling together a story so they have something to talk about for a while. It's not anything to get excited or pissed off about.

Every time I hear a comment like that from the Bernie crowd, it parallels to the crazy Ron Paul fans.

But I do hope Bernie stays on so he can keep blasting people like Rahm.

johnsmith

remember me
That total includes supers, though. There are 4,051 pledged and 714 supers, totaling 4,765. You need 2,383 to win and 2,026 for a majority of pledged delegates. So, while it is extremely likely for one of two candidates to get a majority of pledged delegates&#8212;which should end the race right there&#8212;it's unlikely that someone wins outright at this point with a majority of total delegates. That would require a lead of more than 714 pledged delegates.

Thus, if you were willing to poison your reputation with the other side's supporters, you could attempt to swing up to 714 supers in order to clinch. I'm not sure if this would be a "contested" convention though. It would be more like Bernie wtf stop what even is this.

But wouldn't the supers vote on the first vote though? That means 1 person has to get at least 50% unless a portion of the supers abstain or vote for a 3rd person.

I told ya'll not to underestimate Dr. Willie Wilson. But ya'll went on and did it anyway. And look at you now.

This country will be buried beneath the Willielution. #shillary and #berntout have nothing on this momentum.

I have no idea why it's showing that but The Guardian's results page is also reflecting it now and I'm a little frightened.

Regardless, go Willie!

A lot of news sites pull their data directly from AP so that would make sense.

Where AP's getting it though...

Iolo

But wouldn't the supers vote on the first vote though? That means 1 person has to get at least 50% unless a portion of the supers abstain or vote for a 3rd person.

Yes, supers are counted on the first ballot. But this is apparently considered a "contested" convention by virtue of neither nominee having enough pledged delegates prior to the first ballot. If that held even after the first ballot, then you have a "brokered" convention. These terms are used loosely though.

Hillary conceded in 2008 after too many supers defected, so it was not necessary in effect for supers to clinch the nomination for Obama.

The job of the Superdelegates is to weigh up which candidate has the best chance of winning in the GE, in combination with whose policies best coincide with the current party line (no prizes here), and vote accordingly (obviously, giving weight to GE chances).

If, on deep reflection, they concluded that Bernie does indeed have a better chance, in the GE, but decided to still vote for the equivalent of the Titanic, well...

This feigned vitriol against Bernie, for essentially pointing out this state of affairs, is not cricket.

He'd never make it through secret service
I want this to happen for this scene to go down.

Adam loses his mind fighting off security while I pass out foaming at the mouth

I get star struck so hard. I met Jada Pinkett Smith and friggin melted. I couldn't even form a sentence, and I'm like, not even a huge fan of hers. I mean she's awesome and all but I really only have seen her in the matrix sequels

I would legit lose consciousness if I met Hilldawg

It's insane. I mean, I've never worked with him personally, but I've followed enough stuff to know that he goes beyond pretty much any other actor in terms of preparing for and committing to a role. Being in the industry myself now, it's kind of incredible to see how intense he is compared to the average actor who will joke around with crew members between takes and generally try to maintain a sense of levity on set. DDL just doesn't give a shit about that.

Funny enough, I did do a commercial with his son once.

Yeah, it is cool to read all the shit he does to stay in character. Oh I am completely handicapped, you all need to feed me.

That's cool though meeting his son.

I feel bad for Bernie being ganged up by poligaf and elsewhere :(

I realize I've said some mean stuff about him after Iowa or New Hampshire, but now it just feels wrong to harp on a guy who's pretty much done.

This is where I'm at. And talk of a contested convention is just cable news cobbling together a story so they have something to talk about for a while. It's not anything to get excited or pissed off about.

Yeah, when your campaign depends on small donors and having small donors depends on selling them the idea you have a shot, you need to come up with some path to the nomination even if it seems far fetched. When it gets really obvious it won't happen though (April 19th would be my guess) then I think we'll see a much different tone. He'll probably stay in to let all the states have their say like he said he would, and that's good because it gives everyone a chance to show the demand for a more progressive democratic platform going forward, but I don't think he's actually going to attempt to drag things out in a destructive way and open up the possibility of a president Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom