• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of weird to read about the genuinely great economic ideas of early 1900s Democrats (elimination of gold standard, replacing tariffs with income tax, estate taxes) when combined with how horrifically racist they were.

I mean, it's perfectly reasonable for both things to be true, but it's just kind of weird to read a wikipedia page and go "mmh, really good idea. Wow, this is nice. Really forward thinking guy here it seems... Oh, he supported a terror group that executed black men even if they even looked a white woman."

GuyKazama

The Trump presidency fears are so overblown. Presidents don't legislate, so he can't unilaterally create laws. Trump is too shrewd to ruin foreign relations with countries that matter. He's not going to go to war with significant world powers, any situation he puts us into would be no worse than what Bush did and Obama continued. His potential supreme court nominations could set back several things for a few years, for sure, but assuming he's one term it's theoretically possible he may not get any. Things will suck. Collapse of the country? Horseshit.

This is smart and accurate. It is the loss of power that they are freaking out about. Death screams of neocons, and so forth.

Also, no reason to think Trump won't name a reasonable conservative. He will need to get the nominee past the Senate like anyone else. Anyway, Bush named Harriet Meirs -- and he was supposedly a Conservative President.

He's won. At this point momentum will carry him through, he just needs to make sure he doesn't get fucked at the convention.

He has no ground game. He needs to keep doing rallies to stay in the news and get free air time to push his message. I would agree with you if he had a ground game.

This is smart and accurate. It is the loss of power that they are freaking out about. Death screams of neocons, and so forth.

Also, no reason to think Trump won't name a reasonable conservative. He will need to get the nominee past the Senate like anyone else. Anyway, Bush named Harriet Meirs -- and he was supposedly a Conservative President.

Wasn't Miers just a lackey of his who was completely incompetent instead of being liberal?

Miers is probably a good model for the type of person Trump would try to nominate, lol. Someone who is loyal to him and has no qualifications whatsoever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He has no ground game. He needs to keep doing rallies to stay in the news and get free air time to push his message. I would agree with you if he had a ground game.

All the news is talking about is how inevitable he is and how the GOP is plotting to fuck him over at the convention. He's already controlling the news cycle.

Holmes

Imma need Edwards from Maryland, Harris from California, Cortez Masto from Nevada and Duckworth from Illinois in the Senate in 2017. More diverse ladies would be a good thing for the legislature. (Of course, Ross and Hassan also need to win... maybe McGinty too.)

All the news is talking about is how inevitable he is and how the GOP is plotting to fuck him over at the convention. He's already controlling the news cycle.

Yeah I guess that's true. They go between how the gop can screw him out of the nomination and he's racist commentary. No way of knowing if that benefits him, but the riot coverage from Chicago seemed to help him.

Cerium

I promise you, I am not.

giphy.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I guess that's true. They go between how the gop can screw him out of the nomination and he's racist commentary. No way of knowing if that benefits him, but the riot coverage from Chicago seemed to help him.

Well considering the fact the GOP plans to screw him over plays into his messaging, it can only help him. Then again, the racism thing does as well.

Are you telling me I can send debt to candidates? I smell a sanders come from behind strategy.
Student loan reform act.

Bernie Sanders has to pay your student loans

Passes 99-1 in the Senate

No vote was Cruz

Dan said:
Damn, how did Puerto Rico end up with 60 pledged delegates? That's a hefty number for a territory that won't participate in the presidential election.
Damn shame they don't either, would be an easy extra 7 electoral votes for Democrats.

Holmes

Damn, how did Puerto Rico end up with 60 pledged delegates? That's a hefty number for a territory that won't participate in the presidential election.
I'm guessing since it can't vote in the presidential election, the Democratic party felt bad and gave them a good amount of influence in the nomination process.

Holmes

Puerto Rico actually voted for statehood in 2012, but the Republican Congress isn't biting. Maybe President Clinton and her majorities in Congress can grant it to them? :p

lenovox1

Not to mention the extra two Democratic Senators we'd get.

What would it actually take to give them statehood? Filibuster proof majority?

No, a simple majority.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Four_of_the_United_States_Constitution

How the process has historically gone is that the territory holds a referendum, the majority the population favors statehood, Congress makes them write a state constitution, and then they become a state.

Puerto Rico hasn't made it past stage 2 yet.

Puerto Rico actually voted for statehood in 2012, but the Republican Congress isn't biting. Maybe President Clinton and her majorities in Congress can grant it to them? :p

Whew, that's two new Democratic seats in the Senate, and four to five in the House. I'm also in favor of giving D.C. statehood as well. For the other territories, allow them to continue operate separately, but give them two Senator seats and one House seat. Everyone in the U.S. should have representation.

GuyKazama

Wasn't Miers just a lackey of his who was completely incompetent instead of being liberal?

Miers is probably a good model for the type of person Trump would try to nominate, lol. Someone who is loyal to him and has no qualifications whatsoever.

That's not what I meant -- I'm saying Bush failed when it came to making Court picks, so there's no reason to say that an Establishment President would do better than Trump at a nomination.

Puerto Rico's Statehood had bipartisan support

It's really up to the territory to hold an actual "Yes or No" referendum and to, you know, draft a constitution. That has much more to do with Puerto Rico's local government than the federal one.

While they may state that (even their party position states they support statehood as long as the people vote), you can look at the bills (particularly the House bill HR 2000) that got killed in committee and their sponsors to glimpse a picture of which party enthusiastically supports statehood.

Holmes

DC statehood is a much more tricky situation. At least with Puerto Rico there's a legitimate excuse and reason to do it. But in all honesty, I don't see Congress and Clinton using up political capital to grant Puerto Rico statehood if Dems recapture both chambers. There would be so much else to pass. But who knows?

Man, passing immigration reform and Puerto Rico statehood would cement the latino vote for the Dems for a generation.

Is it wrong that I'm opposed to state hood for DC simply due to how it'll screw up our flag?

DC and Puerto Rico can only come in if we mash North and South Dakota + Virginia and West Virginia back together again.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Is it wrong that I'm opposed to state hood for DC simply due to how it'll screw up our flag?

DC and Puerto Rico can only come in if we mash North and South Dakota + Virginia and West Virginia back together again.
I agree with both of those points lol.

pigeon

Banned
Honestly, I do think the fears of Trump are somewhat overblown, in that most of the rest of the government is absolutely not going to go along with his absurd policies. Congress will never sign a trade deal that requires Mexico to pay for a wall or be sanctioned, never pass legislation to loosen libel laws, never propose a healthcare plan that would keep the good parts of Obamacare while paying for it only with HSAs and interstate insurance sales. His rhetoric is the most dangerous part of a potential presidency, and even that is, I think, eminently counterable in the grassroots. A Trump presidency would be a disaster, but I think anybody worried that he might actually achieve fascism is just not thinking.

Did you like forget that the primary duty of the President is to be Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States?

This stuff is really baffling to me. The president is allowed to fire nuclear missiles whenever he wants to! He controls all government action and most legislation through controlling the actions of the executive branch!

How do you look at the actions of Obama and George W. Bush before him and not recognize the vital importance of a capable and rational person in the Oval Office?

Should probably just switch to a big white number anyway. Adding more stars every time seems inefficient.

Makai

Watching South Park. Cartman is preparing for a debate by digging up dirt on his opponents. Doesn't know what the topic is on.

Trump parallels are unending.

sphagnum

Banned

Nah, just gotta get to 54 states so that we can have even lined goodness like the 48 star flag again.

PR + DC + I guess turn Guam and the Virgin Islands into states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom