• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

User 406

Banned
Yeah, that's way more efficient. Upvote. Imagine how much time you'll save not having to count all the stars to make sure there are fifty and you're not accidentally saluting the pre-1959 United States of America.

9RY7g.png

This is just terrible. Seven bars? Who can even get any useful information out of that?

pF1mAYs.png

This is what you want. One bar, properly scaled, with a simple label to indicate what it's showing, in this case, Freedom Points. Our Freedom Points are at max, as they should be. A much clearer and more readable layout, and it leaves plenty of room for your content view:

ys0ygLj.png

I think the whole "Bernie is a hypocrite for wanting super delegates to help him now" claim is silly. I mean, maybe I'd have more sympathy for the argument if Clinton weren't also taking advantage of a tool that she thinks has an undemocratic effect on elections in order to win the election, and eventually destroy said tool. Both of them are smart enough to realize that you don't handicap yourself in an election out of principles. You play by the rules you need to in order to win.

This only underscores how dumb it is to not use SuperPACs. Absolutely no reason at all that you can't have a SuperPAC that floods the airwaves with ads about how we need to overturn Citizens United. If I was a billionaire Bernie supporter, I'd start one that supports him, because fuck you Bernie, you don't reject the tools you need to win, dumbass.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's useful for working out which posters have the maturity of a 12 year old.

God, that thread. I mean, I'd be thrilled to see Bernie as president, but some of these posts are making me fucking embarrassed to even admit that. Just the same old "you aren't a REAL liberal/progressive if you support Hillary" echo chamber bullshit, and people patting themselves on the back for regurgitating it. Meanwhile Hillary supporters continue to post relevant facts and policy history that are soundly ignored.

Diablos

I also think Sanders making the argument superdelegates are a necessary evil to gaining office and eliminating their influence completely destroys his line of attack v Clinton regarding Super PAC money.

Seriously whoever told him the candidate to get out there and make those arguments himself did him no favours.
It's beyond not doing any favors. It makes Bernie and his campaign look utterly pathetic, desperate, hypocritical and incompetent. Hillary should be hammering away at this. But we wouldn't want to hurt Bernie's feelings and make him do even more irrational things...

CCS

Banned
God, that thread. I mean, I'd be thrilled to see Bernie as president, but some of these posts are making me fucking embarrassed to even admit that. Just the same old "you aren't a REAL liberal/progressive if you support Hillary" echo chamber bullshit, and people patting themselves on the back for regurgitating it. Meanwhile Hillary supporters continue to post relevant facts and policy history that are soundly ignored.

Yeah, I mean I'm a Hillary supporter and I'd prefer Bernie fans to vote for her, but I don't really have a problem with those who'll vote Green if he doesn't get the nomination. What really pisses me off is people who won't vote or say they'll vote Trump. No, that doesn't make them principled, it makes them a child who's throwing their toys out the pram.

Wiz

Don't know where else to bring this up, but apparently Trump rallies are a good place to get streetpasses (bottom left)

gettyimages-511775746_wide-5134fa6d907e4198679697d33c05f016e3aef246-s800-c85.jpg

Who would have thought?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I stay out of every Bernie thread. The parallels between hardcore Bernie fans and the Tea Party are real. I can't handle it. It makes zero sense to engage them, because they refuse to take any other thought into consideration.

danm999

It's beyond not doing any favors. It makes Bernie and his campaign look utterly pathetic, desperate, hypocritical and incompetent. Hillary should be hammering away at this. But we wouldn't want to hurt Bernie's feelings and make him do even more irrational things...

Well honestly it's just going to make the media write a bunch of process stories about the Sanders campaign and if and when they drop out.

It won't be coverage of the little campaign that could proselytising their message.

Did you like forget that the primary duty of the President is to be Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States?

This stuff is really baffling to me. The president is allowed to fire nuclear missiles whenever he wants to! He controls all government action and most legislation through controlling the actions of the executive branch!

How do you look at the actions of Obama and George W. Bush before him and not recognize the vital importance of a capable and rational person in the Oval Office?

Of course this is true, but I also suspect, based on the picture of his personality that we've gotten from those who know them and on the campaign trail, that Trump is a paper tiger whose will will break when it comes to actually committing troops to some kind of ground war, because while he doesn't know what he's doing on any level of government, he REALLY doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to foreign policy, and knows and has public admitted it, and he's so thin-skinned and narcissistic, not to mention so much of a huge micromanager, that I don't think he'd risk the humiliation of running a disastrous Iraq-like war that he'd be beholden to his advisers to wage (and therefore have little direct control over, whatever his technical authority) and being tarred with that for a generation. And if there were an Afghanistan-like justified war that became necessary, I suspect there would be bipartisan outreach to actually get it done smartly, however little either party will desire to help Trump in day-to-day matters of governance.

Anyway, I don't disagree that you need a capable and rational person in the Oval Office, which is why I don't support Trump and will vote against him in November for the candidate best poised to beat him, despite not much caring for Hillary Clinton and preferring to vote Green. But I also think our government is smartly-constructed and has enough checks and balances on a multitude of levels to mitigate the damage even a demagogic assshole can do to it, especially if basically everybody else in the annals of power is aligned against him.

Don't know where else to bring this up, but apparently Trump rallies are a good place to get streetpasses (bottom left)
Who would have thought?

Well, he did promisse to make anime great again, so doing the same for ninty should come as no surprise.

Iolo

But I also think our government is smartly-constructed and has enough checks and balances on a multitude of levels to mitigate the damage even a demagogic assshole can do to it, especially if basically everybody else in the annals of power is aligned against him.

Why would everyone be aligned against a president who won the popular vote? If he wins the election on the Republican ticket---and likely sweeps Republicans into Congress---Republicans will be fellating him! He beat Hillary Clinton and will have up to 3 Supreme Court appointments! He got us into office! He's the hero we need! So what if it damages the party in the long-term---if Republicans were about long-term thinking, they wouldn't be in this mess!

This is magical thinking along the lines of Sanders' million man march on Washington to get his revolution accomplished---senators only care about their own constituents, and getting elected. If they get elected via Trump, and their constituents voted for Trump, they're going to support him! Don't be naive.

If he wants to have Devine and Weaver push this dumb argument that they're going to flip Supers, more power to him. But he shouldn't be pushing it himself, because it's just a stupid stupid argument.

They aren't going to flip. She has the popular vote. She has the pledged delegates. She has key voting blocs. But even setting all that aside, part of her getting these endorsements is that she's been working for decade upon decade.

agreed.

Why would everyone be aligned against a president who won the popular vote? If he wins the election on the Republican ticket---and likely sweeps Republicans into Congress---Republicans will be fellating him! He beat Hillary Clinton and will have up to 3 Supreme Court appointments! He got us into office! He's the hero we need! So what if it damages the party in the long-term---if Republicans were about long-term thinking, they wouldn't be in this mess!

This is magical thinking along the lines of Sanders' million man march on Washington to get his revolution accomplished---senators only care about their own constituents, and getting elected. If they get elected via Trump, and their constituents voted for Trump, they're going to support him! Don't be naive.

Except if Trump gets elected, it'll be because he smeared Hillary so badly he got enough of her voters to stay home, not because he suddenly won over the whole 70% of Republican voters who state they would be unsatisfied with him being the candidate. Some will vote for him just because they don't want Hillary to win, but plenty will either just stay home or vote for the down ticket races. Trump is still WILDLY unpopular, and will remain so even if he somehow gamed a win for himself, and his tenure would be a big wet fart as long as that remains the case.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just kinda shrug at it. Same with the YAS stuff.

I did like Hopium back in 2008, but that was more localized to PoliGAF. And it was really fun wordplay.
Yasss Queen isn't meant to be funny. It is our battle cry. Our war chant to embolden our allies and put fear in the hearts of our enemies. It lets the world know we ride at dawn, ready to YASSS QUEEN WERK until none stand before Her Majesty, the Butcher of Ben Ghazi.

This is not a joke. This is for serious. Like, legit. WERK.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yasss Queen isn't meant to be funny. It is our battle cry. Our war chant to embolden our allies and put fear in the hearts of our enemies. It lets the world know we ride at dawn, ready to YASSS QUEEN WERK until none stand before Her Majesty, the Butcher of Ben Ghazi.

Poor Ben. I will never forget his sacrifice.

The issue I have with YAS QUEEN is it's been co-opted by people on Twitter to be condescending about her. I've come to associate it with misogynistic undertones.

How many Bernie supporters do you think will vote for Hillary after he endorses her? I'm guessing about 93%.

It was funny, briefly, on Jon Oliver's show. The first time I saw it elsewhere it was pretty painfully unfunny.

That's because it wasn't being forced down your throat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't get why anyone thinks this 'Drumpf' thing is hilarious.
100% agreed. John Oliver is really running dry. Most of his material is yelling at the top left corner of my screen imagining some child is named Devin and going NO YOU CANT HAVE THAT DEVIN NO YOU CANT. YOU CANT. BE A GOOD BOY DEVIN. FUCK YOU.

He's getting exposed by Samantha bee. And people who say drumpf are also a little racist. RACISTS

jtb

Banned
I group the Drumpf stuff together with the Piyush stuff -- pretty much completely missing the forest for the trees

pigeon

Banned

I had a "werk makes you free" joke here but I cut it for taste.

Yes, that sometimes happens!

I group the Drumpf stuff together with the Piyush stuff -- pretty much completely missing the forest for the trees

I don't fully agree with this comparison -- I've said before that the Piyush stuff is just a dog whistle, so that to me is much worse than the Drumpf thing.

I don't think the Drumpf thing is particularly convincing of anything, though.

Wilsongt

YAAAAAAAS GAGA YAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!

Plinko

100% agreed. John Oliver is really running dry. Most of his material is yelling at the top left corner of my screen imagining some child is named Devin and going NO YOU CANT HAVE THAT DEVIN NO YOU CANT. YOU CANT. BE A GOOD BOY DEVIN. FUCK YOU.

He's getting exposed by Samantha bee. And people who say drumpf are also a little racist. RACISTS

This has always been John Oliver's schtick. Always. If his joke fails, then he throws in an unnecessary F-bomb to get the crowd laughing. It is beyond juvenile.

Hazmat

I agree, the Donald Trump quote extension is great. Drumpf is just silly and annoying.

The fatal flaw is that it seems like I have to see it when someone types or copy/pastes something with "Trump" in it. It's a Chrome extension that forces a really tired meme on people.

CCS

Banned
The fatal flaw is that it seems like I have to see it when someone types or copy/pastes something with "Donald Trump" in it. It's a Chrome extension that forces a really tired meme on people.

I apologise on behalf of all of us, I always forget to edit it out :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sam Bee is killing it in an incredibly nasty way, I love it. She's got that edge, that anger, I've been missing ever since Jon left.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I had a "werk makes you free" joke here but I cut it for taste.

Yes, that sometimes happens!

I don't fully agree with this comparison -- I've said before that the Piyush stuff is just a dog whistle, so that to me is much worse than the Drumpf thing.

I don't think the Drumpf thing is particularly convincing of anything, though.

I don't think it's an obvious repudiation of his new American identity because the people using it are just hurrrrrrrr drumpf, but it's the same thing. It's John Oliver saying no, the identity you want I will deny you and assign you this old one you don't identify with. I'm not even sure the intent is all that different just because Oliver is not being, explicitly, a racist. This whole drumpf thing really, genuinely rubs me the wrong way.

Anoregon

hey guys im really sorry for ruining this thread by off-handedly posting the word "drumpf" for literally the first time in my life on any forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom