• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oliver is [now?] saying the Drumpf bit was an attempt to separate the Trump brand/myth from the facts/reality of his policies and business history.

I don't think any of it's particularly successful or insightful. Certainly in practice it's just a way to smugly mock Trump.
He's just not funny and the drone army saying drumpf every two minutes is stupid.

sphagnum

Banned
For one thing, corporations have been able to sue countries for years. And they SHOULD be able to sue countries in some circumstances. If a country decides it#s just going to seize control of every factory in the country, then the owners of those factories should be able to sue for damages and the cost of the factories.

Nah.

Fuchsdh

He's just not funny and the drone army saying drumpf every two minutes is stupid.

The fans of The Daily Show/Colbert Report/Last Week killing the joke have always been the worst part of the shows. There are *still* people who vandalize Wikipedia with Colbert's elephants joke and it's been basically a decade since the Wørd segment that started it.

I don't think Oliver or Samantha Bee are particularly good. Oliver's stuff is better-researched than Stewart's ever was, but they're basically middlebrow because there is better-researched and -articulated stuff easily available online, and his jokes are completely lame because he's just not that funny of a comedian. Samantha Bee is snarky and acidic, but not particularly insightful nor funny, just kinda preaching to the liberal choir. I was never a BIG Stewart fan, but what made his show work was that the general perspective of it was that the whole political process is basically laughably broken, and while Republican more often were his target of scorn, he did not shy away from mocking Democrats when they, themselves, engaged in hypocrisy, pandering, and generally fuckery.

Trevor Noah really just sucks.

Fuchsdh

image.php

Noah just comes off as a smug asshole, and I guess I haven't watched enough of his show to figure out why. It might be just that a foreigner critiquing the US feels different from someone home-grown, the same way an American going to England and making jokes about the Tories would feel odd.

I didn't think Trevor Noah's standup was funny, either. Why they picked him when I am certain there are dozens of homegrown American comedians with more passion, a more individuated perspective, and who are more clued-in to American politics, is beyond me.

WatTsu

I didn't think Trevor Noah's standup was funny, either. Why they picked him when I am certain there are dozens of homegrown American comedians with more passion, a more individuated perspective, and who are more clued-in to American politics, is beyond me.

My understanding is that they tried finding dozens of others (including several TDS vets) and they all turned it down, Noah was the first to say "yes".

NeoXChaos

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 14h14 hours ago Washington, DC
Puerto Rico is ranked #11 for dem delegates. A 50 pt Clinton win would cancel expected Sanders wins in UT/AK/ID/MT

Adrian CarrasquilloVerified account
‏@Carrasquillo
.@Nate_Cohn on how Sanders wins. Clinton would likely win Puerto Rico bigger than Rubio tho http://nyti.ms/1UC6gdK
Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 14h14 hours ago Washington, DC
Nate Cohn Retweeted Adrian Carrasquillo
If this is true--and it could be--it would basically be game over for Sanders.

yup

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This article pretty much makes the case why our media sucks even though it has nothing to do with that directly.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/gop-must-answer-for-what-it-did-to-kansas.html

Basically the article is about why no one is asking the gop contenders why their model failed in Kansas and Louisiana.

More people need to know about this.

I mean, let's be real:
  1. they wouldn't answer the question
  2. even if that shit did become national stories half the country wouldn't listen

The myth of the liberal media prevents stuff like this from being called out on because if it is then half the country just thinks, "oh the liberal media is at it again," and just ignores the issue.

Hindl

This article pretty much makes the case why our media sucks even though it has nothing to do with that directly.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/gop-must-answer-for-what-it-did-to-kansas.html

Basically the article is about why no one is asking the gop contenders why their model failed in Kansas and Louisiana.

Wouldn't they just deflect and say Obamacare is killing the economy down there, preventing businesses from hiring employees, rolling back hours, etc? That the big federal government is preventing the conservative economic model from working? People are more than willing to believe that

GuyKazama

David Brooks has moved from denial to anger

David Brooks said:
He is a childish man running for a job that requires maturity. He is an insecure boasting little boy whose desires were somehow arrested at age 12. He surrounds himself with sycophants. “You can always tell when the king is here,” Trump’s butler told Jason Horowitz in a recent Times profile. He brags incessantly about his alleged prowess, like how far he can hit a golf ball. “Do I hit it long? Is Trump strong?” he asks.

In some rare cases, political victors do not deserve our respect. George Wallace won elections, but to endorse those outcomes would be a moral failure.

And so it is with Trump.

shem935

Banned

Yeah it is baffling when you lay it out like that. Like I said maybe a month ago, the only good thing about Kansas is that it can be used as a bad example. The problem being is that no one does use it as any kind of example. We are a failed state; the architects of which face no consequences beyond maybe being voted out in another 2 years. Our media is incompetent. This should be being brought up at every debate even if they continuously deflect.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's way better than Trevor Noah's Daily Show.

They just need to make sure every panel is a good panel and it would be fine.

Yeah it is baffling when you lay it out like that. Like I said maybe a month ago, the only good thing about Kansas is that it can be used as a bad example. The problem being is that no one does use it as any kind of example. We are a failed state; the architects of which face no consequences beyond maybe being voted out in another 2 years. Our media is incompetent and complicit in the damage they allow to propagate through their silence.

Conservative did a huge amount of damage to the media's credibility in regards to their ability to critique the GOP.

God that "If not Sanders then nobody" thread is making me so fucking angry.

I should probably stop going in before I say something even crazier than I already have.

Well it's a better than the "I'll vote for Trump if Sanders loses" people, but I'm sure there's more than fair share of those in that thread as well. Those really get my blood boiling because I can't see how you can pick someone on the completely opposite of the spectrum because "fuck the establishment" or "both parties are the same" bullshit.

I saw it hit 30 pages, so glad I steered clear from that landmine.

I mean, let's be real:
  1. they wouldn't answer the question
  2. even if that shit did become national stories half the country wouldn't listen

The myth of the liberal media prevents stuff like this from being called out on because if it is then half the country just thinks, "oh the liberal media is at it again," and just ignores the issue.

I agree they wouldn't answer. But I think the media's desire to be even handed is what let's the gop get away with this type of bullshit.

If they pounded on things like this, the long term effect would be positive.

shem935

Banned
They just need to make sure every panel is a good panel and it would be fine.

Conservative did a huge amount of damage to the media's credibility in regards to their ability to critique the GOP.

Then the media needs to grow a pair and summon some of that courage that allowed the media of yester year to break the watergate story. Bring facts to the table, confront them at every turn with their failures and make them answer. But no, they are afraid of how their viewers might react. You cannot let those who you are supposed to hold accountable control the message.

Then the media needs to grow a pair and summon some of that courage that allowed the media of yester year to break the watergate story. Bring facts to the table, confront them at every turn with their failures and make them answer. But no, they are afraid of how their viewers might react. You cannot let those who you are supposed to hold accountable control the message.

Exactly this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Shit dude, I agree, but the people that need to hear this shit would just tune out.

They still do this.

it's just... uneven.

User 406

Banned

I've been trying to explain to my son how things in the world are complicated, and that things are never as simple as good vs. evil.

But the GOP really undermines that perspective when we get to politics.

I'm not sure we talked about this before....

Australians say they were paid by Labour Party to Work for Bernie Sanders

They [the Australian Labor Party] pay for our flights. They pay for the cost of accommodations, which is just the staff house, and then we also get a $60 stipend a day,” said Rebecca Doyle, an Australian campaign volunteer in New Hampshire, in the hidden-camera footage.

Under federal law, foreign nationals are permitted to work on U.S. campaigns as volunteers, but cannot be compensated.

In addition, federal law bans foreign contributions to campaigns, describing it as unlawful for “a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make … a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State or local election.”

Anyway, the former Speaker of the NH House has filed an FEC complaint about it.

I believe yesterday was the deadline for Bernie's people to return the foreign contributions they received, as well as to return the amounts they received over the legally allowed limits.

I'm sure this is a non-story, but I still find it hilarious that one campaign breached another's data. One campaign pretended to be union workers to illegally gain access to areas they weren't supposed to be. One campaign had to have the FEC come down on the for illegal contributions. And now one campaign had workers they shouldn't have had....yet Hillary is the dishonest one.

Okay. Yup. Sure.

Call me crazy but the big winner in this whole mess is Kasich. Dude climbed out the gutter to be seriously considered
I give him credit for being a sneaky bastard (so, a great politician), but he's mostly just a stubborn jerk. The only reason he's "in there" is because he refused to drop out despite having no reason to stay in. Everyone else in that same position just left. Instead, he banks it on winning his own state's primary. Literally any of the candidates that dropped could have tried out that same strategy, but didn't and dropped when it became clear they'd never win the delegate total.

Kasich? He gives zero fucks about delegates, and zero fucks about what anyone outside Ohio thinks. He's still in the race despite having very literally no mathematical way to win the nomination outright. So he's openly broadcasting that he's a jerk only in it to screw with other people. Were this any other cycle with a more "traditional" race he would be mocked 24/7 for still campaigning instead of being given any kudos for anything. He'd be hounded by pundits of both parties and the media for only being there for his own selfish and party-destroying reasons.

Kasich is only there because everyone else left and he largely avoided going negative and making enemies. The same campaign Carson ran, but because Kasich has some charisma he was able to ride out the "hey mister moderator, I'm still here!" thing for 1 extra week, which is what he needed to get to his sole primary win. The 14 that have dropped probably all feel like idiots for not not officially giving up, since simply being there is all it took to get "momentum" eventually.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I believe yesterday was the deadline for Bernie's people to return the foreign contributions they received, as well as to return the amounts they received over the legally allowed limits.

I'm sure this is a non-story, but I still find it hilarious that one campaign breached another's data. One campaign pretended to be union workers to illegally gain access to areas they weren't supposed to be. One campaign had to have the FEC come down on the for illegal contributions. And now one campaign had workers they shouldn't have had....yet Hillary is the dishonest one.

Okay. Yup. Sure.

Eeeehhh, James O'Keefe isn't exactly a good source.

pigeon

Banned

Okay. Yup. Sure.

This is an article quoting James O'Keefe written in the Washington Times!

DON'T BE THIS GUY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom