• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's be real, there's no chance that the GOP has the brains or ability to screw over Cruz and Trump in Cleveland.

The GOP has shown no signs that it's a functioning institution. They're going to get badly outsmarted by Cruz and they're going to be intimidated by Trump's NeoNazis. Even if it goes to a brokered convention, Cruz or Trump will be the nominee.

The bigger concern is Trump leading and them giving the nomination to Cruz.

So, do the Dems have a realistic shot at the House this year? Does Trump do it for them?

I am in no way going to start believing the House is a lock or definitely a super good chance of the Dems taking it until summer time and polling starts to show the potential.

Had you asked me last year, I'd have said the Dems have a good shot at the Senate but no chance at the House.

But between Trump, GOP implosion, and the SCOTUS opening, if things pretty much stay as they are, I think they House has to be moved from "no chance" to "possible" now.

I'm not going to get too optimistic because the GOP may show up and either come home or at least vote down ballot if skipping Trump. There's no real accurate polling to go by. But my gut reaction is right now there's a chance and we'll see how things go.

If Trump's numbers come Sept are like in the high 30s and the non-Trumps get totally depressed, then I can move into giddy mode.

And OMG if Hillary gets 2 free years, essentially. Seriously just nuke the filibuster and really do the work that needs to be done. Min wage, tax reform, ACA adjustments, VRA fix, infrastructure spending, etc. I want to be giddy so badly.

This article pretty much makes the case why our media sucks even though it has nothing to do with that directly.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/gop-must-answer-for-what-it-did-to-kansas.html

Basically the article is about why no one is asking the gop contenders why their model failed in Kansas and Louisiana.

More people need to know about this.

Rachel Maddow has mentioned the financial disaster that Bobby Jindal has left the state of Louisiana in and also the mess in Kansas. And she brought a lot of attention to the crisis in Flint.

For every state Bernie doesn't win by 15% or more, he falls further behind in his path to the nomination. If you find someone denying he has an extremely narrow path to the nomination, tell them that.

Rachel Maddow has mentioned the financial disaster that Bobby Jindal has left the state of Louisiana in and also the mess in Kansas. And she brought a lot of attention to the crisis in Flint.

Certainly. But who watches MSNBC?

I mean not only say CNN, but CBS, ABC, NBC News. Local affiliates. Print and radio. Etc.

There's articles online, as the one I posted, as well. This isn't enough. When that airplane went down, it was everywhere. Shit, Making of a Murderer was a national discussion. People who never watched knew about it! Things like Kansas need to be more prevalent.

Armaros

For every state Bernie doesn't win by 15% or more, he falls further behind in his path to the nomination. If you find someone denying he has an extremely narrow path to the nomination, tell them that.

Their new plan is to render Hillary nonviable in places like Washington (aka less then 15% of the vote) and run up the margins in CA.

I am not joking

Their new plan is to render Hillary nonviable in places like Washington (aka less then 15% of the vote) and run up the margins in CA.

I am not joking

giphy.gif

Certainly. But who watches MSNBC?

I mean not only say CNN, but CBS, ABC, NBC News. Local affiliates. Print and radio. Etc.

There's articles online, as the one I posted, as well. This isn't enough. When that airplane went down, it was everywhere. Shit, Making of a Murderer was a national discussion. People who never watched knew about it! Things like Kansas need to be more prevalent.

Well, Republican ran states becoming failures is becoming a trend.

Ophelion

It's astounding how much misinformation is rolling around the internet amongst people my age (late twenties.)

Things I've had to explain to my room mate since the election season began:

-Delegates.
-Superdelegates.
-That Clinton was a minor during the Goldwater campaign (he reported to me that images talking about her being a Goldwater Girl showed a photograph from when she was in college.)
-Voting record shit.

There's probably more I haven't thought of, but Facebook is a creeping cancer of falsehoods is my point.

Don't worry, what will happen is Bernie will get enough write-in votes in the general election against Hillary and Trump to win enough states to cause the House to vote for President, in which case Paul Ryan, hearing the will of the people, will ensure Bernie is President with Trump as his VP.

pigeon

Banned
Trump is the author of The Art of the Deal. Don't rule out a deal between Trump and Cruz. 6 weeks till the convention after June 7th. Plenty of time granted Trump is short a few delegates.

I am still predicting a Trump/Cruz ticket. That would be more or less impossible to dislodge at the convention -- between the two they have 70% of the delegates.

The best part about that Politico article that somebody posted earlier is the part about how multiple senators are trying to endorse Ted Cruz but he won't take their phone calls.

I think he's actually genuinely hurt by how much the other Republicans hate him on a personal level.

What a bizarre ticket that would be. I would love to see the conservatives who think Cruz is wholesome and honest and that Trump is the devil do the mental gymnastics to process such a ticket.

Trump/Cruz- how bad does this lose?

I'm of two minds about that ticket:

1. Would ensure that Trump won't sidestep to the center, if there was any danger of that actually happening.

2. Cruz would actually provide some decent organization and donors to the Trump ticket.

So I'll say 2012 + maybe NC.

So, do the Dems have a realistic shot at the House this year? Does Trump do it for them?

I am in no way going to start believing the House is a lock or definitely a super good chance of the Dems taking it until summer time and polling starts to show the potential.

Had you asked me last year, I'd have said the Dems have a good shot at the Senate but no chance at the House.

But between Trump, GOP implosion, and the SCOTUS opening, if things pretty much stay as they are, I think they House has to be moved from "no chance" to "possible" now.

I'm not going to get too optimistic because the GOP may show up and either come home or at least vote down ballot if skipping Trump. There's no real accurate polling to go by. But my gut reaction is right now there's a chance and we'll see how things go.

If Trump's numbers come Sept are like in the high 30s and the non-Trumps get totally depressed, then I can move into giddy mode.

And OMG if Hillary gets 2 free years, essentially. Seriously just nuke the filibuster and really do the work that needs to be done. Min wage, tax reform, ACA adjustments, VRA fix, infrastructure spending, etc. I want to be giddy so badly.
Here's the Democrats' most likely path to a House majority, courtesy of a DKE comment. His ratings, not mine:

Tier 1 (Lean D) - 8 seats:

FL-10 (Open) D+8
FL-13 (Open) D+3
FL-26 (Curbelo) D+3
IA-1 (Blum) D+5
NH-1 (Guinta) R+1
NV-4 (Hardy) D+4
TX-23 (Hurd) R+3
VA-4 (Open) D+9

Tier 2 (tossup) - 10 seats:

IL-10 (Dold) D+8
ME-2 (Poliquin) D+2
MI-1 (Open) R+5
MN-2 (Open) R+2
NY-1 (Zeldin) R+2
NY-19 (Open) D+1
NY-21 (Open) EVEN
NY-22 (Open) R+3
NY-24 (Katko) D+5
NV-3 (Open) EVEN

Tier 3 (Lean R) - 10 seats

AZ-2 (McSally) R+3
CA-21 (Valadao) D+2
CO-6 (Coffman) D+1
FL-7 (Mica) R+2
IA-3 (Young) EVEN
MI-7 (Walberg) R+3
NJ-5 (Garrett) R+4
UT-4 (Love) R+16
VA-10 (Comstock) R+3
WI-8 (Open) R+2

Tier 4 (Likely/Safe R) - 11 (need 3 for 218)

CA-10 (Denham) R+1
CA-25 (Knight) R+3
MI-8 (Bishop) R+2
MN-3 (Paulsen) R+2
MT-AL (Zinke) R+7
NM-2 (Pearce) R+5
NY-23 (Reed) R+3
PA-6 (Costello) R+2
PA-7 (Meehan) R+2
VA-2 (Open) R+3
WV-2 (Mooney) R+11

I imagine with a Trump nominee we'd be favored through most of the first two tiers.

Slacker

I can't wait for the Republican candidate to get wrecked in November, then hear Republicans say to themselves, "Shit guys, we weren't conservative enough again!"

Romney endorses Ted Cruz as the party decides that they're smart enough to screw over both Cruz and Trump at the same time in Cleveland even though the party hasn't made a single non-stupid decision in the entire primary.

https://m.facebook.com/mittromney/posts/10153370698696121

LOL every single response is crapping on Mitt.

Kasich flat out denies he'd be on the same ticket as Trump. "Under no circumstances. Zero. No chance." is what he says in the preview for the interview with Matthews tonight.

Which, I mean of course he can always pull back later but that would sure play well if he did end up Trump's VP pick. The opposition would love to run ads about that.

CCS

Banned
I've never seen a party go through all 5 stages of grief simultaneously in the way the Republicans are right now.

Kasich flat out denies he'd be on the same ticket as Trump. "Under no circumstances. Zero. No chance." is what he says in the preview for the interview with Matthews tonight.

Which, I mean of course he can always pull back later but that would sure play well if he did end up Trump's VP pick. The opposition would love to run ads about that.

He's not going to be Trump's VP, I don't know why anyone thinks it would make sense for Kasich to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom