• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned

pigeon

Banned
On an unrelated note, some cheery charts when it comes to talking about Donald Trump's potential appeal in the general.

Do Americans hate free trade?

trade.png

Do they fear immigrants?

immigration.png

Please proceed, guy with no previous political experience.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/18/11263362/trade-public-opinion

On an unrelated note, some cheery charts when it comes to talking about Donald Trump's potential appeal in the general.

Do Americans hate free trade?

trade.png

Do they fear immigrants?

immigration.png

Please proceed, guy with no previous political experience.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/18/11263362/trade-public-opinion
I swear when people try to argue that Trump's positions on trade and immigration will lead to a GE win it's like they're just polling five redneck relatives and jumping to conclusions.

Nothing about the man is appealing enough to draw a majority of the electorate or anywhere close to that. Wouldn't be surprised if he finished closer to 40 than 50 in the popular vote.

Some interesting numbers out of Arizona:

According to figures provided by the Arizona Democratic Party, of the 601,049 early ballot requests, 262,547 were returned, with 121,374 from voters 65 and over and another 75,504 from voters between the ages 50-64. Both age groups have been friendly to Clinton in other states.

By contrast, just 18,842 ballots have been returned from voters between the ages of 25 to 34 and 8,959 from voters between 18 and 24 – ominous signs for Sanders, who runs best among younger voters.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernie-sanders-arizona-220937#ixzz43HlSP7xZ
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

He browses the internet on a PS3. Disappointment is not going to be a new experience for him.

:). In part (plus some bookmarklet JS coding from yours truly), thanks to Sony's use of a spare SPU for the PS3 Adobe Flash support, I'm currently catching up on PoliGAF posts, whilst listening to the audio of a YT video, in the background, with virtually zero audio dropouts, on loading new GAF pages (clicking links) etc, in the popup IFrame window (an example of true multi-processor, multi-tasking) :).

To display popup, PS3 Bookmarklet user actually has to turn JS off (with video playing), as handled by my JW Player JS callback (handily, in current WebKit based browser, Flash JS callbacks are still processed, with JS off, which also allows me to prevent someone trying to circumvent bookmarklet license).

No new uses of flax seeds, although my homemade whole wheat bread (yeast free) is still a favorite (have for toast, in the morning, and for a sandwich, at lunch), especially as I can rustle up a loaf in around 15 minutes (inc. 5 min, to crush seeds, plus, 35 minutes baking time).

After Walmart switched from butter to margarine (and HFCS...) in their "European Style" croissants (heresy; no response to my email complaint to customer service), I did break my aversion to baking with yeast, with my first attempt at authentic butter croissants (used half the butter, 2% milk (instead of whole), and no melted butter, which all together possibly explained why dough was way too sticky - had to add more flour), and although they took quite a bit of effort, the end results were quite good (apart fiom almost trashing my pristine heavy duty baking tray - will use parchment paper in future). I froze half of pre-baked croissants, which was also a mistake (once baked, they were no where near as good as first (fresh) batch), as should have frozen after baking (once thoroughly cooled). For my next attempt, I'm going to try using whole wheat flour (a world first? ;) ), instead of the left over King Arthur's unbleached white I was using up).

P.S. It's a sign! It's a sign! Guess where the affordable ($10) J.K. Adams FRP-1 Maple French Rolling Pin I bought especially, came from (via Amazon)? Only frigin Vermont, U. S. of A. :).

Drumpf and partly Sanders frustrate me to the no end with the protectionist stance on trade and jobs (especially appealing to manufacturing workers).

Column from 538 today: Manufacturing Jobs Are Never Coming Back

Here’s the problem: Whether or not those manufacturing jobs could have been saved, they aren’t coming back, at least not most of them. How do we know? Because in recent years, factories have been coming back, but the jobs haven’t. Because of rising wages in China, the need for shorter supply chains and other factors, a small but growing group of companies are shifting production back to the U.S. But the factories they build here are heavily automated, employing a small fraction of the workers they would have a generation ago.

There is nothing wrong with politicians’ trying to save what remains of U.S. manufacturing, nor with trying to avoid repeating old mistakes on trade. But like it or not, the U.S. is now a service-based economy. It’s time candidates started talking about making that economy work for workers, rather than pining for one that’s never coming back.

For those of you who like political podcasts, Obama's former staff members Pfeiffer and Farveau have a new podcast on Channel 33 (Bill Simmon's non-Bill Simmons podcast feed).

CCS

Banned
When reading people claiming that Trump/Sanders have overwhelming support on free trade etc. I always enjoy replacing "american people/everyone" with "me and most of my mates".

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This article pretty much makes the case why our media sucks even though it has nothing to do with that directly.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/gop-must-answer-for-what-it-did-to-kansas.html

Basically the article is about why no one is asking the gop contenders why their model failed in Kansas and Louisiana.

More people need to know about this.

I wonder how you can get that information through to the bubble. Most of that is facts, not conjecture or commentary.

He wrote my favorite article this election. The angle he presents in the article, if it ends up being the primary culprit, easily explains the anger. I'd also add a bit of fear into it if the trend continues.

I've realized something about my thinking. Whenever someone rails on about how Hillary Clinton is terrible and isn't a real progressive and whatever, my mind immediately goes into defense mode. I think it's because I don't understand what is so bad about her policies. I know she has done not good things in her past but it takes me two seconds to look at the alternative and she starts looking pretty good.

To me, Bernie isn't an alternative. It's not Bernie's fault. It might be mine. But the environment I grew up in and still live in tell me that Bernie's plans are impossible so they sound like lies to me. I have only ever lived in "red states" my entire life, I don't know what it's like to have a governor or legislature agree with you. I am telling you, if you live in somewhere like Vermont or a true "blue" state, you may not know what it's like to live in a red state. The only legislation I ever hear about locally is either looking to ensure more idiots have guns, schools get less, and entitlements are ripped away at every opportunity. I'm over here dealing with all of that plus some and you want to tell me your single payer healthcare, free college Utopia is only a President Sanders away from happening?

Please. Pay attention to the other side sometime. Those are the enemies.

Ophelion

I always enjoy replacing "american people/everyone" with "me and most of my mates".

That follows for most comments the vast majority of people make about politics tbh.

Normal is what you live. You have to really be actively into politics to take a step back and go, "Hold on, just because Seattle here is hyper liberal does not mean the whole country is ready for a hyper liberal." Just as an example that is pertinent to my day to day, heh.

CCS

Banned
That follows for most comments the vast majority of people make about politics tbh.

Normal is what you live. You have to really be actively into politics to take a step back and go, "Hold on, just because Seattle here is hyper liberal does not mean the whole country is ready for a hyper liberal." Just as an example that is pertinent to my day to day, heh.

Yeah, that's very true. I've been fortunate enough to live in very conservative and very liberal places in my life so I'm kind of used to adjusting my worldview for that.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

I hate the use of the word enemy. But I guess it applies now, as there are very few functional reasonable people left over there. We just need to be careful, especially after the ashes settle and a newish Republican party comes back into existence we don't immediately call them the enemy unless nothing has changed.

As long as they continue to refuse to make any compromises, they truly are the enemy, as democracy cannot function without it.

I hate the use of the word enemy. But I guess it applies now, as there are very few functional reasonable people left over there. We just need to be careful, especially after the ashes settle and a newish Republican party comes back into existence we don't immediately call them the enemy unless nothing has changed.

As long as they continue to refuse to make any compromises, they truly are the enemy, as democracy cannot function without it.

I only mean enemy in terms of opposition.

So true.

Reminds me of ErasureAcer in here once complaining about how the more moderate Amy Klobuchar is much more popular in MN than liberal Al Franken. Because not everyone living in MN are 20something hipsters living in Minneapolis?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Romney endorses Ted Cruz as the party decides that they're smart enough to screw over both Cruz and Trump at the same time in Cleveland even though the party hasn't made a single non-stupid decision in the entire primary.

https://m.facebook.com/mittromney/posts/10153370698696121

Dat top comment. Burn.

Seriously, though, it is the exact sentiment I have noticed while lurking conservative boards. The idea that the RNC would come in and take the nomination from the leader does NOT sit well with these people.

I actually think handing Rmoney the nomination would be the worst case scenario for the GOP. Like even more than rolling with Trump or giving it to Cruz.

Dat top comment. Burn.

Seriously, though, it is the exact sentiment Inhave noticed while lurking conservative boards. The idea that the RNC would come in and take the nomination from the leader does NOT sit well with these people.
And they're totally right to feel that way.

If Jim Webb came in and swept the Democratic primaries and the DNC tried to be like "lol no, we're nominating Hillary" I'd be pissed. Not because I support Webb (hell no) or because I'm against Hillary (wrong again), but because of the party circumventing the will of the people.

I actually think handing Rmoney the nomination would be the worst case scenario for the GOP. Like even more than rolling with Trump or giving it to Cruz.

Let's be real, there's no chance that the GOP has the brains or ability to screw over Cruz and Trump in Cleveland.

The GOP has shown no signs that it's a functioning institution. They're going to get badly outsmarted by Cruz and they're going to be intimidated by Trump's NeoNazis. Even if it goes to a brokered convention, Cruz or Trump will be the nominee.

NeoXChaos

I've realized something about my thinking. Whenever someone rails on about how Hillary Clinton is terrible and isn't a real progressive and whatever, my mind immediately goes into defense mode. I think it's because I don't understand what is so bad about her policies. I know she has done not good things in her past but it takes me two seconds to look at the alternative and she starts looking pretty good.

To me, Bernie isn't an alternative. It's not Bernie's fault. It might be mine. But the environment I grew up in and still live in tell me that Bernie's plans are impossible so they sound like lies to me. I have only ever lived in "red states" my entire life, I don't know what it's like to have a governor or legislature agree with you. I am telling you, if you live in somewhere like Vermont or a true "blue" state, you may not know what it's like to live in a red state. The only legislation I ever hear about locally is either looking to ensure more idiots have guns, schools get less, and entitlements are ripped away at every opportunity. I'm over here dealing with all of that plus some and you want to tell me your single payer healthcare, free college Utopia is only a President Sanders away from happening?

yup. Even when the south had majority blue statewide officers here and in the legislature it wasn't some liberal utopia.

HylianTom

Banned
So true.

Reminds me of ErasureAcer in here once complaining about how the more moderate Amy Klobuchar is much more popular in MN than liberal Al Franken. Because not everyone living in MN are 20something hipsters living in Minneapolis?
Yup.

The phrase "will it play in Peoria?" comes to mind. College campuses and hip inner city neighborhoods aren't enough.

Let's be real, there's no chance that the GOP has the brains or ability to screw over Cruz and Trump in Cleveland.

The GOP has shown no signs that it's a functioning institution. They're going to get badly outsmarted by Cruz and they're going to be intimidated by Trump's NeoNazis. Even if it goes to a brokered convention, Cruz or Trump will be the nominee.

This is most likely the case. They've given into the extremists in the party over and over, why would they stop now?

NeoXChaos

Trump is the author of The Art of the Deal. Don't rule out a deal between Trump and Cruz. 6 weeks till the convention after June 7th. Plenty of time granted Trump is short a few delegates.

Trump is the author of The Art of the Deal. Don't rule out a deal between Trump and Cruz. 6 weeks till the convention after June 7th. Plenty of time granted Trump is short a few delegates.

What would such a deal look like?

I don't see Cruz settling for VP. And we know Trump won't settle for VP.

I guess Trump could promise him the SCOTUS but the same was true of Rubio long ago and it never happened. I'm not sure either has an ego small enough to do anything, here.

CCS

Banned
LAMO. They are in desperate need of a Malcolm Tucker. Whoever the American Malcolm Tucker is, he's most certainly a Democrat though.

A Malcolm Tucker quote that describes the Republican leadership pretty well right now:

"Jesus Christ, see you… You're a fucking omnishambles, that's what you are. You're like that coffee machine, you know: from bean to cup, you fuck up."

On Rubio:

"No, he's useless. He's absolutely useless. He's as useless as a marzipan dildo."

And on Cruz:

"The guy is an epic fuck-up. He’s so dense that light bends around him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom