• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
12719426_976979399024282_2377341339152811818_o.jpg

Maledict

If you want a picture of how opinions have changed on Hillary around here, take a look at this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225657&page=5

Ivy in particular. Wow.

At least HylianTom has been consistent - he was posting then that no matter who wins the democratic nomination, it's important they win to make sure the Supreme Court wasn't overrun by crazy right wingers.

And yeah, not only is it interesting how people's opinions have shifted, but also how our language and culture has changed. People were openly throwing around insults against Hillary back then that would result in mass bannings now.

Get ready guys, Tyler has started his model from scratch this time!
Though numerically I missed the win/loss in these states by 0.2% and 1.6%, I fully recognize that the difference is night and day. This is why I started over, from scratch, and have spent the last two days building a more robust and comprehensive model that can account for factors that I had previously thought were indirectly contained within the variables I was using.

This has to be an elaborate troll now

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have to say, I like Obama, but the vilification of Hillarity is kinda scary. UUUUNITYYYY fight the republican evvviil

I am proud of myself even 8 years later.

Ivy is a flipflopper. That's why he is going for Hillary this time!

And yeah, not only is it interesting how people's opinions have shifted, but also how our language and culture has changed. People were openly throwing around insults against Hillary back then that would result in mass bannings now.

Yeah, it's a bit nuts to look back and see people getting away with so many blatant sexist remarks.

At least HylianTom has been consistent - he was posting then that no matter who wins the democratic nomination, it's important they win to make sure the Supreme Court wasn't overrun by crazy right wingers.

like this?

So I'm supposed to just trust the next GOP president and hope that he/she appoints justices that I find palatable? Knowing that there's a damn good chance that they could very well put people up who will vote against me on issues near and dear to me for the next three decades of my life? Really? Really?

Bullshit.

I didn't trust Bush II on this (and have thus far been soundly vindicated), and I see no reason to trust any of the current GOP bunch running. Two (maybe three) thirty-year terms on the bench - NOT a gamble I'm willing to take. Do you understand the weight of such a gamble? Do you get it?

HylianTom spitting the still completely relevant truth.

Y2Kev

Yeah, it's a bit nuts to look back and see people getting away with so many blatant sexist remarks.

People recoil when we say there was a huge element of sexism in the 2008 campaign today. People don't like to admit we grow and change, and we suck a lot in the place we grew from. Which is why I like Hillary!

Y2Kev

As a 19 year old, I think relying on young people is a shitty strategy. They never go out and vote when it really matters.

As opposed to old people, who do nothing but stew around in their poo for months and then they go and vote.

A. I was 19 :(
B. I was right! HAHA BERNIE should have read my post 8 years ago

This is basically what I have read. With the media narrative, you'd think Hilary's record screams old establishment and Barack votes his heart. They...uh, have very similar voting records.

Yeah, this is what I am referring to. I'd like some change too. But I doubt any politician can single handedly bring real change...or necessarily even spur it.

Replace Barack with Bernie and...

That's when you realize this election is basically the same. On the Democratic side of things anyway.

Makai

I was rooting for Ron Paul in 2008. The oil spike scared the crap out of me. Ron Paul was a good starter candidate because he helped me get informed pretty rapidly. I read the Constitution a few times and learned a lot about economics and foreign intervention.

Y2Kev

Replace Barack with Bernie and...

That's when you realize this election is basically the same. On the Democratic side of things anyway.

Yeah, I mean, the difference this time is that Clinton has Obama's coalition - young people and Bernie has (Obama's Coalition) + young people. Bernie is not a unifying candidate or even a broadly appealing candidate.

Damn, Obama was so good. I hope he really stumps hard for Hilldawg this summer. I want to see 20,000 people+ rallies like he had in Portland in 08.

I'm so happy to read these old posts and see I've grown up. And to see that my understanding of how politics work has so dramatically evolved. Kvetching over 3% (3k votes) in New Hampshire...they got like the same amount of delegates! What were you thinking, KEV?

I was rooting for Ron Paul in 2008. The oil spike scared the crap out of me. Ron Paul was a good starter candidate because he helped me get informed pretty rapidly. I read the Constitution a few times and learned a lot about economics and foreign intervention.

I always secretly rooted for Ron Paul. Not because I ever wanted to vote for him but because he'd always fuck with the other Republicans and tell them how stupid their ideas were at the debates.

The original Reddit candidate.

Makai

I always secretly rooted for Ron Paul. Not because I ever wanted to vote for him but because he'd always fuck with the other Republicans and tell them how stupid their ideas were at the debates.

The original Reddit candidate.
He also had a bit of Trump in him. Won literally every online straw poll for like eight years. Media refused to take him seriously...until it was too late. Except they were right that time.

I think by 2024 or 2028 people will be more willing to accept the changes Bernie wants, but the US is a slow moving elephant that has to slowly get to that destination by years of change moving to the left more each time. It's too sudden of a change for today and Bernie is the wrong bringer of that change.

Yeah, I mean, the difference this time is that Clinton has Obama's coalition - young people and Bernie has (Obama's Coalition) + young people. Bernie is not a unifying candidate or even a broadly appealing candidate.

Damn, Obama was so good. I hope he really stumps hard for Hilldawg this summer. I want to see 20,000 people+ rallies like he had in Portland in 08.

I'm so happy to read these old posts and see I've grown up. And to see that my understanding of how politics work has so dramatically evolved. Kvetching over 3% (3k votes) in New Hampshire...they got like the same amount of delegates! What were you thinking, KEV?
Yeah. I think it also shows why she's much more dominant than he was this time.

She has Obama coalition - young people + Hillary '08 coalition

Bernie has young people and white people in general but it's substantially less than what she has.

People recoil when we say there was a huge element of sexism in the 2008 campaign today. People don't like to admit we grow and change, and we suck a lot in the place we grew from. Which is why I like Hillary!

I supported Obama in 2008, but I don't believe I vilified Hillary. I was fine with her, but I was over the moon for Obama. I understand people over the moon for Bernie, but I think all of those of us that were of age to look at 2008 and 2016 through a somewhat similar brain lens realize that in this case Bernie is far less of a candidate that is capable of achieving change than Obama was, and Obama should have been able to move mountains but he couldn't. We realize that electing a President will not change the system. If you want to change the system, call a constitutional convention.

That's what Bernie should work on organizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom