• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
random politics question since my google-fu is too weak to find the answer: when you're running for president, do you have to have a running mate? if some billionaire decided to run, and by some miracle they actually won, do they need that have a vice presidential nominee on the ticket, or could they just say they're picking one after they're elected?

basically, is having a running mate in the rules, or is it just how it's done?

I think it's just how it's done. You could probably run and say I will let my party decide my vp at the convention or something.

random politics question since my google-fu is too weak to find the answer: when you're running for president, do you have to have a running mate? if some billionaire decided to run, and by some miracle they actually won, do they need that have a vice presidential nominee on the ticket, or could they just say they're picking one after they're elected?

The electoral college selects the VP. So if you don't choose a running mate they'd have to pick someone.

You're putting the selection of the Vice President in the elector's hands. Not a good idea.

Ecotic

I remember the night of Super Tuesday. I saw the more moderate Trump. Calm, collected Trump. I got worried this is what we'd see more of.

It went the opposite direction.

And if his general election strategy is just insult Hillary Clinton over and over...
It may well be his strategy. Trump has given every indication that he thinks victory in November is won by out brawling your opponent, as though more Sunday show appearances, more magazine covers, and more Twitter mentions is how you win, rather than sitting down with someone like David Plouffe and assembling a winning coalition of voters. I don't know if that's even occurred to him.

He can't be that stupid can he?

It'd be like the GOP openly calling Obama the N-word

I mean, that almost happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrhJSAaYIc

And Trump has said before "if Hillary can't satisfy her husband, how can she satisfy America?"

CCwTsNTUEAAKbfC.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
Those are weirdly worded tweets. The campaign spent $1 million more than what was raised in February but they still have $31 million in the bank, right?

Well, they spent $2 million more. The $1 million in debt is actual debt that they just haven't paid back yet. That's normal to have both reserves and debt while still actively campaigning.

Rubenov

So, anyone visiting Cuba anytime soon? I don't know if the rules regarding travel there have changed or not but I seriously want to visit before it changes much.

gcubed

So, anyone visiting Cuba anytime soon? I don't know if the rules regarding travel there have changed or not but I seriously want to visit before it changes much.

You can go in a tour group now, still restricted on visits by yourself (but im sure you can get around it)

I'd love to go

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I might try and figure out how to take a trip soon. I'd need to renew my passport first so it gives me some time to figure it out.

Tamanon

Banned

I'll probably be taking a cruise there in the next year. Before American tourism ruins the place!

Did anyone catch Bernie on CBS today? He outlined his super delegate strategy.

Super Delegates should support the state wide winner. To do otherwise, goes against the will of the voters. Therefore, in states he won, the Supers from that state should support him. When asked about states he didn't win, the Supers should still support him because the Supers should go with the most electable person.

This makes perfect sense. Completely logical. I see no fallacy at all.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wallstreet, trade and Iraq vote will also come up, pretty much everything Bernie is doing right now just turned up to 11 with a lot of added sexism.
Does anyone buy Trump criticizing Hillary Clinton on Iraq? As if he had anything to stand on. He hopped on the bandwagon once it was confirmed to be a disaster.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Super Delegates should support the state wide winner. To do otherwise, goes against the will of the voters. Therefore, in states he won, the Supers from that state should support him. When asked about states he didn't win, the Supers should still support him because the Supers should go with the most electable person.

Yea, the berners on my facebook are all over this idea, say it makes total sense and anything else is subverting the will of the voters.

watershed

Banned

Bernie is just a boring hypocrite at this point. He has nothing left to say and his entire political strategy depends on the very establishment figures he rails against coming to his aid for reasons and the fact that he's totally ok with that shows that he is just another desperate, egocentric politician.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Democrats were able to peak with 201 seats in the House during the 2012 to 2014 session, and this was after redistricting and a presidential election. That's 17 seats short of a slight majority. Since then, states like Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida have been to court over their maps, and new maps had to be redrawn, which were either slightly less or dramatically less gerrymandered. Not to mention demographics in 2016 are a bit different than 2010.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but 2016 could be the year, and honestly the only year, that the Democrats retake the House, with only a slight majority.

North Carolina? Wasn't that one struck down?

danm999

I keep saying it; keep your candidate away from this message. Have Weaver and Devine say it. Tell it to your supporters, broadcast it in emails and fundraisers, do not have your candidate say it. Because the media will just treat you like a big fat process story and you won't even be a message candidate.

I was bored as fuck so I started browsing everyone's favorite subreddit...
Ryuudou • 3h
The path forward is very good. This is what a lot of the raiders and trolls don't understand, because they don't actually pay attention to the election map.

Clinton won roughly 58% of the vote in the first half with the entirety of the deep south voting. It's not a radical idea that Sanders can win 58% in the second half now that the southern firewall, which was frontloaded, is completely finished. Sanders has won 9 out 12 states outside of the south so far which two of those losses being virtual ties.

Basically, as long as he doesn't get blown out in Arizona, he's set to win 7 or 8 in a row before New York. And using that momentum and increased name recognition (remember Clinton has been maxed out on name recognition even before the race began, but the longer Sanders is in this the better he does) he plans to compete and win in New York. He's only 12 points behind in NY even with a full month to go. He's reversed 20-30 point leads in a week more than once.

So if he does win NY then he's set to take California and the rest of the race. That's basically how it goes.

Strictly on the math part he's actually "allowed" several losses as long as he averages 58%. If he loses nothing and still averages 58% though he will reach the delegate lead even earlier than June.

Holy shit. McConnel really said there won't be a SCOTUS nominee unless the NRA approves them.

What the fucking shit?
Normally I'd write this off as typical GOP, but I'm especially raging right now reading this, I just met someone who lost their daughter in the sandyhook shooting today.

Armaros

An alternative time line where Sanders doesn't get dunked on in Arizona.

I've seen people pull the 'he was from NY' card.

And forgetting he disappeared for 40 years until landing in Vermont to current day.

And Hillary being a two time senator elected with extremely high margins and left office with 70+ approval ratings, the HQ for her campaign and the Clinton foundation don't mean anything to them.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's fine they don't want to do anything.

In the meantime, split 4-4 rulings will deliver liberal results when they would have otherwise created conservative precedent and Republicans in the Senate will lose more seats.

Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt about Texas's extremely restrictive regulations on abortion clinics is still a pretty big deal, since Texas won the case on the lower circuit.

United States v Texas about Obama's executive order on Immigration is also a big deal, with the circuits below split on what to do about it.

Also, does anyone know if a 4-3 decision would set precedent? If so, Fisher v University of Texas about Affirmative Action would still be a huge deal, since Kagan is sitting that case out. If so, it'd be Kennedy's last time to shine as the court's decision maker.

dramatis

I've seen people pull the 'he was from NY' card.

And forgetting he disappeared for 40 years until landing in Vermont to current day.

And Hillary being a two time senator elected with extremely high margins and left office with 70+ approval ratings, the HQ for her campaign and the Clinton foundation don't mean anything to them.
Honestly, there might be a lot of young liberal vote in NYC that would make the margin narrower for Hillary. Whether or not it's enough for an upset, I don't know, but even if Bernie managed to win I think the margin would be narrow.

If I were her campaign, the counter to young liberal vote would actually be older Asian vote in NYC.

i had an interaction with a trump supporter today, you'd be surprised at how he bucked the stereotype of an immigrant hating, inarticulate buffoon. He said to me that the country was becoming communist. I asked him why income inequality was slanted so heavily towards the rich in our increasingly communist country. He then refused to acknowledge my deconstruction of his ignorant premise and said, (i am paraphrasing) "then why are all of our textbooks are teaching an anti white, communist agenda, making george washington look bad? I said george washington burned down native american villages. That might be incorrect, I learned it from assassins creed 3. He said in response to this, "and by the way, george washington freed his slaves after he died!" he said that last part forcefully, as if that was supposed to exonerate him from owning slaves at all.

It was like sitting underneath the flow of a moronic waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom