• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

Did we already talk about the Democrats Abroad primary results?

The results are in! In an unprecedented turnout, up 50% from 2008, 34,570 voters cast their ballots from over 170 countries all around the world, through in person voting, by fax, email, and post, and the results are as follows:

Bernie Sanders received 69% of the vote in the Democrats Abroad’s Global Presidential Primary, Hillary Clinton 31%.

Sanders picks up 9 pledged delegates as a result of the primary, while Clinton secures an additional 4 delegates.

http://www.democratsabroad.org/global_presidential_primary_results

Clinton only won three countries, the Dominican Republic (350 to 53), Singapore (149 to 107), and Nigeria (4 to 1, lol).

Since there was AFAICT absolutely no polling, I had no idea how this one would go. I thought Clinton would win here in Japan for example (Sanders won 1178 to 176).

I guess it makes sense in hindsight, the US is so far to the right compared to most of these countries. Sanders is running for president in the wrong country.

Did we already talk about the Democrats Abroad primary results?

http://www.democratsabroad.org/global_presidential_primary_results

Clinton only won three countries, the Dominican Republic (350 to 53), Singapore (149 to 107), and Nigeria (4 to 1, lol).

Since there was AFAICT absolutely no polling, I had no idea how this one would go. I thought Clinton would win here in Japan for example (Sanders won 1178 to 176).

I guess it makes sense in hindsight, the US is so far to the right compared to most of these countries. Sanders is running for president in the wrong country.

I don't think the U.S. is to the right of Japan?

effzee

I also think a lot has to do with how the media portrays the problem over here and how commentators and pundits just go along with it. Like, no one ever in the US media inquires on the topic and everyone just takes the surface level reactions. Netanyahu and the rightwing governments of Israel have perpetuated this myth that both sides are equal in conflict and poor poor Israel suddenly gets hit by those murderous terrorists and their evil rockets, bombs, stabbings. I mean, can you imagine if Mexico launched rocket into US territory????? FUCK OUTTA HERE. There are no 2 "sides". There is only one side and it's illegally occupying the territory of natives living there. They are lashing back in violent ways because their territory is being slowly seized by Israel government, homes get bulldozed, their olive crops get uprooted, they get random eviction notices, they are not allowed to pray near the Dome, their kids get locked up and beaten in prisons and they live in a perpetual police state, and this is just West Bank, which is supposed to be "better" than Gaza strip. No one talks about this!!!!! If you watch US news media it's like palestinians suddenly sprang up from the earth and started feeling stabby. Even just now Blitzser did his favorite dog trick (roll over play dead) when Drumpf said "well they have to stop terror!".

There's like a giant disconnect going on between everyone in US and the real world when it comes to mideast issues and people unable are simply unable to connect more than 2 things together.

Agreed with everything and would add this.

There are only 2 times when the conflict comes up :

1. when a conflict erupts and especially when it is "started" by the Palestinian side. Any other time period, when there is no conflict, the US media, pundits, and politicians almost forget this region or conflict exists. Meanwhile during this time period of "no violence", land is continuously stolen and Palestinians subjugated to subpar human status.

2. when there is an election and everyone is racing to show Israel who can bend over fastest for Israel to fuck them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Arizona early voting is 8.5% Hispanic and 55% female.

Does everything she says have to be a thread? Jesus.

Well yeah, the OT has been anti-Hillary by extension of her being Not Sanders and by those secret Republicans not being able to talk about their candidate since only Cruz and Trump are left.

I just hope most of them are not forgoing food to donate to a failed campaign.

To be fair, Hilary's comments on Israel were terrible and she's going to be the next president so she deserves to have her feet by the fire on the issues where she's awful.

How much do you want to bet Cruz would make the delegates say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Christian flag and the Pledge of Allegiance to the Bible if he were the nominee?

The most infuriating part is the misunderstanding of US politics by Euro posters in the OT threads. Yes, we do foreign policy bad. I get it. Get the rest of our country to get it. It's not that easy. It's high horse trash.

The most infuriating part is the misunderstanding of US politics by Euro posters in the OT threads. Yes, we do foreign policy bad. I get it. Get the rest of our country to get it. It's not that easy.

I think a big part of it is a failure to understand that "The United States" is not a monolithic block of people. We're often accused (rightly) of being ignorant to the rest of the world, yet it's so easy for the rest of the world to paint all of us as gun loving, xenophobic morans.

The most infuriating part is the misunderstanding of US politics by Euro posters in the OT threads. Yes, we do foreign policy bad. I get it. Get the rest of our country to get it. It's not that easy.

I love when Europeans say Bernie would be a conservative/center right in their country over and over again. That's great and all, but it means absolutely nothing in the United States.

Magni

I don't think the U.S. is to the right of Japan?

It depends on the issues obviously, but having lived abroad in Japan, France, Chile, and Norway so far, I'd say that overall, those four countries are all to the left of the US, to varying degrees (Chile < Japan < France < Norway IMO).

Regarding Japan specifically, two main points stick out in Sanders' favor vs Hillary: health care (in Japan as in Europe, it makes no sense for the US to still not have a proper healthcare system), and Iraq. Hawkishness is a downside everywhere I've lived (outside the US).

Granted, this has more to do with foreign nationals than the US expats who voted, but living in a foreign country and being exposed to a different point of view on the US has a pretty sizable impact on your politics.

It depends on the issues obviously, but having lived abroad in Japan, France, Chile, and Norway so far, I'd say that overall, those four countries are all to the left of the US, to varying degrees (Chile < Japan < France < Norway IMO).

Regarding Japan specifically, two main points stick out in Sanders' favor vs Hillary: health care (in Japan as in Europe, it makes no sense for the US to still not have a proper healthcare system), and Iraq. Hawkishness is a downside everywhere I've lived (outside the US).

Granted, this has more to do with foreign nationals than the US expats who voted, but living in a foreign country and being exposed to a different point of view on the US has a pretty sizable impact on your politics.

Thanks for your perspective. I don't think it's surprising the more liberal candidate wins the Democrats aboard primary. In fact, I thought it would be an even worse delegate split for Hillary.

I love when Europeans say Bernie would be a conservative/center right in their country over and over again. That's great and all, but it means absolutely nothing in the United States.

it's also increasingly objectively false from a comparative standpoint, since his immigration/refugee positions place him firmly to the left of practically everyone in europe (and the rest of his positions would be dead-center in a universe where we somehow already had UHC and stronger safety nets)

Japan is pretty far to the right of the United States on feminism and immigration so it's kind of a weird comparison, honestly.

it's also increasingly objectively false from a comparative standpoint, since his immigration/refugee positions place him firmly to the left of practically everyone in europe (and the rest of his positions seem dead-center)

Merkel is more hardcore right on economics than Mike Lee and might be further to the left on immigration than Jill Stein so comparisons are pretty easy, you see.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Japan is pretty far to the right of the United States on feminism and immigration so it's kind of a weird comparison, honestly.

Yeah, Japan has a serious anti-immigration problem at a time when it's badly needed.

it's also increasingly objectively false from a comparative standpoint, since his immigration/refugee positions place him firmly to the left of practically everyone in europe (and the rest of his positions would be dead-center in a universe where we somehow already had UHC and stronger safety nets)
What? Germany's centre-right Chancellor is taking in millions of refugees, Bernie's immigration/refugee positions are not to the left of everyone in Europe. Bernie only gives the appearance of being less to the left because of the country's starting point, if we already had UHC and free college he'd be advocating even more radical stuff.

Cerium

Are you still riding the Predict it Pony or have you cashed out?

I'm thinking of putting like $10 on something just for shits and giggles.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that Trump is the nominee so I'm just going to wait to cash out. I put a bit on Hillary in Utah on a longshot but otherwise I'm clean.

What? Germany's centre-right Chancellor is taking in millions of refugees, Bernie's immigration/refugee positions are not to the left of everyone in Europe.

I'm hiveminding Europe in much the same sense that the European posters like to hivemind the US. Germany (and Sweden, for that matter) is an outlier compared to the rest of the continent.

e: Definitely agree regarding that edit, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom