• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem with Bernie, he rarely wins big. It's always these rinkadink caucuses in tiny states and territories that go for him by blowout margins but don't add up to much, or tiny wins in big primary states that only net him a few delegates.

Hillary has been really good about getting the most from her wins. The fact that she won Mass, Illinois and Missouri is cool but ultimately she didn't need to. Just like how Michigan going for Bernie was good for PR but meant very little in terms of the horse race.

A big enough win in Arizona could cancel out either of Bernie's expected wins in Washington or Wisconsin.

haha, what does our soccer team have to do with anything?

If you like soccer you are also more open minded to policies and customs of countries around the world. Soccer doesn't allow you to stick inside the US bubble like baseball and football does. If you are good with adapting sports from other countries, you are probably good with taking their healthcare and education policies too.

Also I don't think the revs sub par attendance and Hillary's win in Massachusetts are any coincidence

Uhhh why the hell would he say this?

He's 100% right, and it's not a slam on Obama. He's basically saying, "Obama's done a great job, but history shows us it takes about 10 years to get out of this income funk. Elect Hillary because the Republicans are just gonna roll back the progress and put it another 10 years away"

PBY

Banned
He's 100% right, and it's not a slam on Obama. He's basically saying, "Obama's done a great job, but history shows us it takes about 10 years to get out of this income funk. Elect Hillary because the Republicans are just gonna roll back the progress and put it another 10 years away"

I sort of get it, but that picture line was weird. It didn't play either, the room went silent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you like soccer you are also more open minded to policies and customs of countries around the world. Soccer doesn't allow you to stick inside the US bubble like baseball and football does. If you are good with adapting sports from other countries, you are probably good with taking their healthcare and education policies too.

Also I don't think the revs sub par attendance and Hillary's win in Massachusetts are any coincidence

That's more because the Revs are shit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I sort of get it, but that picture line was weird. It didn't play either, the room went silent.

Yeah, the picture line is kinda messed up.

One of the things you have to take into account is that Bill reaaaaaaaaaally didn't like Obama in 2008. There was a bit of a racial / know your place mentality he had that is brought up in Game Change; and I've wondered whether he's really ever gotten over that, or just kept it hidden for the sake of party unity.

Hell, even Hillary Clinton was worried about it 2012 based on her emails - she was worried Bill would end up sabotaging Obama out of anger / resentment for Hillary not being VP.

That's the problem with Bernie, he rarely wins big. It's always these rinkadink caucuses in tiny states and territories that go for him by blowout margins but don't add up to much, or tiny wins in big primary states that only net him a few delegates.

Hillary has been really good about getting the most from her wins. The fact that she won Mass, Illinois and Missouri is cool but ultimately she didn't need to. Just like how Michigan going for Bernie was good for PR but meant very little in terms of the horse race.

A big enough win in Arizona could cancel out either of Bernie's expected wins in Washington or Wisconsin.
Dont forget Ohio. It was probably Sanders' Michigan but 10 times worse. He lost it by friggin double digits where as Hill barely lost Mich.

Yeah, the picture line is kinda messed up.

One of the things you have to take into account is that Bill reaaaaaaaaaally didn't like Obama in 2008. There was a bit of a racial / know your place mentality he had that is brought up in Game Change; and I've wondered whether he's really ever gotten over that, or just kept it hidden for the sake of party unity.

Hell, even Hillary Clinton was worried about it 2012 based on her emails - she was worried Bill would end up sabotaging Obama out of anger / resentment for Hillary not being VP.
As some have mentioned, he's not a fan of Obama privately. But he would never say that or at least try to never say it publicly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If we weren't shit the liberal euro take over of New England would be complete. Bernie would have won if we had a Stadium.

Sounders are shit too tbf

Eh, Sounders fans always have something to get excited about. Revs fans are like Red Bull fans before Petke and Marsch: in a state of constant disappointment/fear it'll all get worse.

LOL. Clinton taking Rubio talking points as dog-whistles? Strange ass bedfellows this election.
No, Rubio's 'talking point' was that Trump had a small penis. Any talk of his tiny, manchild hands drove him insane that week, but fortunately(?) Rubio made it direct and personal, so Trump's anger was hidden behind some actual insults. If she keeps subtly inserting references like this he'll lose his mind. He obviously has a complex about it which is very easily triggered. She's too smart to not have done this deliberately. So calling it a dog whistle? Yeah that's probably fair. Imagine Trump sitting around for months, stewing, knowing Clinton insulted his tiny hands, and therefore his penis, but since she didn't mention it directly he can't specifically respond.

Considering how low Trump seems intent on taking the campaign against her, this is a mostly harmless, snarky liberal retort that no one other than political junkies would take note of.

jtb

Banned
I just think Hillary is a political blind spot for Bill -- he still wishes she won in 08 (will be very difficult for her to have any legistlative achievement as enduring as universal health care) and for such a canny politician, he constantly puts himself in positions where he's a liability for her. it's particularly jarring considering how effective he was when he campaigned for Obama. he's a decent star power surrogate during the primary but Obama will be a much more effective campaigner for Hillary than Bill this fall.

Man, it's so sad seeing Bill lose what made him such a great politician.

Sorry Mr. Pres. Age has a way of taking away what made you great.

it's not age. his 2012 DNC speech was vintage Bill, if not better than he's ever been

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Info is a year old, but Gallup had Washington as the 7th most liberal state in the country (4th through 7th were only separated by .2%)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/181505/m...litics&utm_medium=newsfeed&utm_campaign=tiles

Man; that's crazy. I'm pretty liberal; but moving from IL to WA apparently turned me from tree-hugger to Republican without changing any of my actual views. The left is a little..uh..crazy here. I can't imagine places more liberal than Seattle. I kinda despise extremism as a whole now (and became a pretty hardcore first amendment person) after living out here for 8 years or so now.

No, Rubio's 'talking point' was that Trump had a small penis. Any talk of his tiny, manchild hands drove him insane that week, but fortunately(?) Rubio made it direct and personal, so Trump's anger was hidden behind some actual insults. If she keeps subtly inserting references like this he'll lose his mind. He obviously has a complex about it which is very easily triggered. She's too smart to not have done this deliberately. So calling it a dog whistle? Yeah that's probably fair. Imagine Trump sitting around for months, stewing, knowing Clinton insulted his tiny hands, and therefore his penis, but since she didn't mention it directly he can't specifically respond.

Considering how low Trump seems intent on taking the campaign against her, this is a mostly harmless, snarky liberal retort that no one other than political junkies would take note of.

A) it's PoliGAF, we're all political junkies

B) Oh, it's freaking brilliant. Hence the dog-whistle comment. Just enough to get the attention of the person you want, but full plausible deniability. I love it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Imagine if he does bring it up at a debate. He'd look like a fucking lunatic, especially if Hillary feigns ignorance and dismisses it as Trump being too vain.

Man; that's crazy. I'm pretty liberal; but moving from IL to WA apparently turned me from tree-hugger to Republican without changing any of my actual views. The left is a little..uh..crazy here. I can't imagine places more liberal than Seattle. I kinda despise extremism as a whole now (and became a pretty hardcore first amendment person) after living out here for 8 years or so now.

Berkeley/San Francisco. I swear it feels like both cities sometimes try to out liberal each other.

it's not age. his 2012 DNC speech was vintage Bill, if not better than he's ever been
It's age man.

It hits people in different ways. My mother in the span of three years went from hindered mobility to bed-ridden. One fall. Not even a bad one.

With his heart problems, and diet changes, you can lose a lot in a small amount of time. And who knows what else might be a factor.

But whatever it was that made him special. Is fading rapidly.

Meanwhile I'm over here in Indiana wondering what the state is going to fuck over this week.

jtb

Banned
It's age man.

It hits people in different ways. My mother in the span of three years went from hindered mobility to bed-ridden. One fall. Not even a bad one.

With his heart problems, and diet changes, you can lose a lot in a small amount of time. And who knows what else might be a factor.

But whatever it was that made him special. Is fading rapidly.

eh, what evidence is making you think this? (that bill is going senile, not that old age affects people, which it obviously does)

eh, what evidence is making you think this? (that bill is going senile, not that old age affects people, which it obviously does)

Ummm... old age affecting people is the leading cause of senility.

edit: I mean, he would have been able to pop this stuff off no issue even a couple of years ago, and now he stumbles constantly.

It's a sad thing to see him lose this.

Just got an email from the Sanders campaign trumpeting the Democrats Abroad results by saying Bernie netted more delegates than Hillary did from her wins in Massachusetts, Illinois and Missouri combined!

Now how about Florida, Virginia, Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana etc.?

Plus Hillary didn't net any delegates from Illinois so it feels like cheating to include it... Oh well at least he acknowledged the fact that she won some Northern states.

60-40 in Washington is about what both candidates need to maintain their position, which means Hillary can afford to do a little worse while Bernie needs to do much better.

Emphasizing net delegates over state wins seems like a bad talking point for the Sanders campaign.

Visiting Berkley is always fun. There's a lot of stores that accept bitcoins. I don't know why that is.

I have to admit I kinda hated Berkeley both times I visited. I've lived in some pretty liberal places, but it was just a little too over the top (e.g. signs all over declaring the city a "Nuclear Free Zone"). It also amazed me that people in a metro of that size would put up with a bus system as terrible as AC Transit.

San Francisco was nice though. I'd never live there in a million years, but it was fun to visit.

Holmes

I have to admit I kinda hated Berkeley both times I visited. I've lived in some pretty liberal places, but it was just a little too over the top (e.g. signs all over declaring the city a "Nuclear Free Zone"). It also amazed me that people in a metro of that size would put up with a bus system as terrible as AC Transit.

San Francisco was nice though. I'd never live there in a million years, but it was fun to visit.
San Francisco's great. I can always just take the ferry there instead of driving, and just walk around the city instead of finding parking and paying $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom