• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

1FC6F261-46D1-40EE-A429-F782B74A187C.jpg

(Spotted at a rally in Seattle..)
I love this

@Taniel
Pinal County (Arizona's 3rd biggest) is fully reporting: Trump got 51% of early voters—and *57%* overall. He went up as field narrowed.
Cruz/Kasich got 19%/7% in Pinal. They had 19%/7% among early voters. As field narrowed, they didn't grow like Trump did—at least in Pinal.
Trump consolidating that Rubio vote. (See why narratives about what would happen if you add candidate X's vote to Cruz's don't work)

I'm all for supporting your candidate but when Hillary blows him out of the water it's all silent.

Tonight it's #feelthebern!! We gonna win the rest! Etc.

I hate it.

I don't see the problem with letting people cling on to the bit of hope that they have. Most people don't understand how the process works and if seeing Bernie sweet super liberal Idaho as evidence of a momentum, then fine. It's their dollar and time. The race is fundamentally over and has been since Super Tuesday (and the signs have been there since Nevada).
I saw it as fundamentally over in Nevada.

Ecotic

So if Mormons hate Trump this much then Nevada must be safely in Hillary's hands. The state has hispanics and mormons to spare, how could she lose? Put Kaine on the ticket and win Virginia and Nevada and wrap it up. It seems almost too easy.

danm999

Nevada was a sign Bernie's non-white vote might be lopsided (even though he won Hispanics!).

South Carolina was a sign it was terminal.

I don't see the problem with letting people cling on to the bit of hope that they have. Most people don't understand how the process works and if seeing Bernie sweet super liberal Idaho as evidence of a momentum, then fine. It's their dollar and time. The race is fundamentally over and has been since Super Tuesday (and the signs have been there since Nevada).

Most people are really ill-informed in general. I had to spend a chunk of yesterday explaining to people why Hillary is a better option for president than Trump. I was the only one in a group of six who didn't consider them equally bad options. And I'm pretty sure everyone in this group would identify as democrats. Or at the very least, they wouldn't consider themselves republicans. The level of cynicism about our political process among the general population is really disheartening.

Most people are really ill-informed in general. I had to spend a chunk of yesterday explaining to people why Hillary is a better option for president than Trump. I was the only one in a group of six who didn't consider them equally bad options. And I'm pretty sure everyone in this group would identify as democrats. Or at the very least, they wouldn't consider themselves republicans. The level of cynicism about our political process among the general population is really disheartening.

Well yeah the right has controlled most of the process for a few years. Shutting down the govt and reading books on the senate floor. It's been a fucking joke.

Can someone help me understand the Bernie support for the liberals in super republican states? Or is it really a white thing. Im really interested.

Can someone help me understand the Bernie support for the liberals in super republican states? Or is it really a white thing. Im really interested.

I mean, the south is pretty solidly red and they were not fond of Bernie at all. Utah's Dems are super liberal and white though. I mean, we just elected a lesbian mayor in SLC.

billeh

One can still support Bernie knowing full well the improbability of his math playing out. He still draws massive crowds and seemingly excites the youth vote. Hopefully there are some mini-Berns out there willing to take up the cause at lower levels when he drops since there is obviously a demand for it.

Personally, I like having the data on areas ripe for social democrats to run for the house or senate. Gotta get the Coffee Party in full swing for 2020.

Honestly, I think cynicism is fine. The problem is the rise of ignorant cynicism, misidentifying itself as a revolution.

Holmes

None of the CA counties that border other states contain San Diego, Los Angeles or San Francisco. In fact, they're mostly empty desert.
It's not predictive of how he'll do in bordering counties, but rather South California in general. I think we can say SoCal will go for Trump at this point, and as for NorCal, well... I mean, their other option is Ted Cruz or a loser, so it might also go to Trump, albeit closer. This state nominated Fiorina and Whitman in the same year a while back, and Trump fits that businessman archetype, with some added racism against the immigrants that California Republicans don't seem to like.

One can still support Bernie knowing full well the improbability of his math playing out. He still draws massive crowds and seemingly excites the youth vote. Hopefully there are some mini-Berns out there willing to take up the cause at lower levels when he drops since there is obviously a demand for it.

Personally, I like having the data on areas ripe for social democrats to run for the house or senate. Gotta get the Coffee Party in full swing for 2020.

I got an interesting email from Democracy for America yesterday asking me to donate to Donna Edwards' campaign for senate. What was noteworthy was their wording, though: they talked about it in terms of "bringing the political revolution" to Maryland and contributing to "true progressives". It seems like there's definitely an effort to brand some politicians as Bernie Democrats or something to that effect.

Youth vote still ain't showing up to the polls. He's utterly failed on that front.

Holmes

I got an interesting email from Democracy for America yesterday asking me to donate to Donna Edwards' campaign for senate. What was noteworthy was their wording, though: they talked about it in terms of "bringing the political revolution" to Maryland and contributing to "true progressives". It seems like there's definitely an effort to brand some politicians as Bernie Democrats or something to that effect.
I mean, Edwards endorsed Clinton so that's some funny terminology but I'm all about electing her and more people like her.

It's not predictive of how he'll do in bordering counties, but rather South California in general. I think we can say SoCal will go for Trump at this point, and as for NorCal, well... I mean, their other option is Ted Cruz or a loser, so it might also go to Trump, albeit closer. This state nominated Fiorina and Whitman in the same year a while back, and Trump fits that businessman archetype, with some added racism against the immigrants that California Republicans don't seem to like.

I'm not so sure that it's predictive of Socal. I do think Trump will win CA because who else would it be, but coastal California is like a different state from inland California.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not so sure that it's predictive of Socal. I do think Trump will win CA because who else would it be, but coastal California is like a different state from inland California.

It's definitely predictive in terms of the Latino vote in CA. Bernie can't win the Dem primary without substantially closing those margins.

EDIT: oh we're talking GOP. STILL DELIRIOUS.

I think the Clinton campaign just kind of wrote it and Idaho off. If they were close, great, if not, eh. It seem like her goal is to limit Bernie's win in Washington as much as possible.

Yeah.They didn't even spend any money in ID and UT and the appearances were sparse. I'm confident that they are going trying to close the gap in WA. She won't win but she doesn't need to. Just lower Bernie's margins. More than anything,this tells me her operations are pretty efficient and well functioning which bodes well for November. In Mook we trust.

Holmes

Sure, but are coastal Republicans all that different from SoCal Republicans, aside from intensity of hate for immigrants and income? I would scan past primary results but I'm on my phone.

Sure, but are coastal Republicans all that different from SoCal Republicans, aside from intensity of hate for immigrants and income? I would scan past primary results but I'm on my phone.

I mean, those are pretty huge differences. You might as well ask if WV coal miner republicans are all that different from Orange County, old money republicans.

Adam387 said:
It's definitely predictive in terms of the Latino vote in CA. Bernie can't win the Dem primary without substantially closing those margins.

EDIT: oh we're talking GOP. STILL DELIRIOUS.

While we're on that topic, I'm not so sure it's predictive. Inyo county, which borders Nevada, has a total population of 18,000 people (so ~9,000 democrats), goes reliably republican in presidential elections, and is 74% white.

Fun fact: it also has a population density of 2 people per square mile. Wyoming is 3x more densely populated.

SoCal Republicans can be pretty extreme considering the state. Hunter (CA-50) is from SD and of the anti-immigrant variety. There is a small city in his district called Santee. It's nickname is Klan-tee. NorCal Republicans (they exist??) tend to not be as crazy.

daedalius

So in Halo tonight, we had a serious Trump supporter in our party. I've never been able to stand him, but man tonight, he was just the worst.

Fully supports the wall, totally convinced mexico will pay for it, any illegal immigrant is an 'enemy invader', went back to the war of 1812 and Revolutionary War to cite the United States being 'invaded'?? Fully convinced we can't pay for ourselves, yet we can't raise taxes.

Shit was too much. Had about 5 people arguing him down, deflected absolutely everything, and if he didn't deflect he just had bluster and anger.

Never joining a party with him again, fuck.

studyguy

Trump is going to go fucking hard in the central valley/rural ag counties just from my own anecdotal bit of conversation with clients from all out there. North CA I have no clue but the entire central valley is easily Trump country.

Trump is going to go fucking hard in the central valley/rural ag counties just from my own anecdotal bit of conversation with clients from all out there. North CA I have no clue but the entire central valley is easily Trump country.

It was also McCain and Romney country, but there just aren't enough people there to overturn the mass of democrats out of San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Trump trying to win a state that isn't even majority white will be a colossal waste of resources on his part.

edit- I just realized we're talking about the primaries and not the general. Whoops!

Holmes

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanSams/status/712504047346036736
White farmers who employ undocumented immigrants for cheap labor voting for a candidate who wants to deport said workers.

As for NorCal Republicans, I know some. Just some. I know maaaany Democrats though, and some non-citizens that would otherwise be Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom