• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
yawn. The current crop of Bernie Sanders people (the ones that flip out online) are the current wave of Ron Paul supporters. "We are so loud online, how are we losing?!?!"

Yes, and the echo chamber effect. "Everybody I know is supporters Sanders, how are we losing!?"

You were the chosen one

Sorry. I love Bernie. I really do. I'd be just as interested in volunteering for him if he were the nominee. Probably moreso. But I don't think he's going to be. And given the choice between Clinton and any Republican, the choice for me is trivially easy. It's not some abstract political decision for me. It's a question of morality. I think the Republican party is fundamentally wrong on a host of moral issues (in addition to the more settled scientific issues they are wrong on, which also irk me). Looking at it like that, I just don't think I could live with myself if the wrong person won because I felt bitter and didn't do anything. I want to do what I can to increase the good in the world, even if I can only do a tiny bit. Even if it means accepting only marginal improvements.

No, it is still a lot of help. You can sign up to phone bank from home for the upcoming primaries if that's something you want to do. A few hours in total helps a ton. If you want to do on the ground stuff, that probably won't start until after she gets the nomination, but you can always check on her website. 99% of people who volunteer, I'd say, work full time.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm sure my girlfriend will help out, too. She loves Hillary. Northern Virginia is Clinton turf anyway, but it can't hurt to help out. :)

Today, some of the top posts on r/sandersforpresident in response to Bernie posting "It’s important we do not succumb to bigotry. We are fighting a terrorist organization killing innocent people. We are not fighting a religion." on Twitter:
Holy shit, berniebros include fedora m'lady atheists too? I'm genuinely shocked. Bernie's entire message is that of hippie love and everyone get along (except the top 1/10th of 1% of course), and I thought it went against new atheist bigotry.

Oh, John:

This is what totally baffles me. All polling shows that the only way to stop Trump is to flood the race with a ton of spoiler candidates. People dropping out only ended up making Trump look more inevitable. I really don't understand why the GOP is botching this so badly (not that I care, but still). I think the post or piece about their lack of central leadership (like the Dems have with Obama) hurts them a ton. I mean, look at that 5 ring circus graph of the different factions in the GOP. Do any of those groups today seem like they want to work together?

User 406

Banned
Okay, so the rumor is that Ted Cruz had an affair with Trump's top spokeswoman. :U

CdP3wZgVAAAraLm.jpg

Bill Orielly?

Pat Buchanan?

JOE SCARBOROUGH. Geez, can't you people figure out the obvious punchline?

Since political news loves "too close to call" contests: Most punchable face in politics: Ted Cruz or Hugh Hewitt?

For me it's always been Bill Kristol. My arm actually twitches if I see him talking.

Yes, and the echo chamber effect. "Everybody I know is supporters Sanders, how are we losing!?"

It's funny, whenever I'm linked to twitter/facebook/whatever Hillary/Bernie slapfights, I do see plenty of people taking Hillary's side, which is why there's a slapfight in the first place. So the "has anyone even met a Hillary supporter?" thing is just silly on its face. Who do you think you've been arguing with, exactly?

Gruco

Banned
They know losing Arizona was the last nail in Bernie's coffin. They are just in the denial / anger stage.

They've been in denial since Super Tuesday? March 15? South Carolina?

I expect no less than three more final nails in the coffin by the time it's all said and done.

Tesseract

Banned
Sanders is kicking ass, just contributed my Nick Diaz money

Let's take it all the way to the convention, baby

+8 over Hillary versus trump in the GE, Sanders has this bagged

It seems like the Sanders campaign didn't understand that the deadline for voter registration in the Arizona primary had long passed. They were registering people to vote over the weekend telling them they could vote in the primary. Nope.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Trump has hit boogeyman levels

http://gawker.com/word-trump-written-in-chalk-terrifies-harms-emory-st-1766477207

Students protested yesterday at the Emory Administration Building following a series of overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

Many students carried signs featuring slogans such as “Stop Trump” or “Stop Hate” and an antiphonal chant addressed to University administration, led by College sophomore Jonathan Peraza, resounded “You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain!” throughout the Quad.

“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,” she added.

....its moments like these that lead to candidates like Trump showing up, sadly enough.

studyguy

The political revolution is happening!!!! Eventually

They'll be ready for next time.
Anyway I'm on board for removing caucuses and allowing same day registrations though. Caucus as a whole on paper sounds like the legit dumbest way to make your voice heard when it so clearly favors those who have hours to waste during the day vs your regular ass vote.

Based on the current percentage of vote, which roughly translates to delegates to be awarded (I compared them), I see Bernie had a great night, and won by a 66/34 margin :) (percentages from AP, via NY Times: AZ: 40, ID: 78 and UT: 80).

P.S. CNN blows, for only showing combined pledged / un-pledged (super) delegate totals, which serve no useful purpose, at this stage, even for Hillary supporters...

Gruco

Banned
Daniel B·;199001398 said:
Based on the current percentage of vote, which roughly translates to delegates to be awarded (I compared them), I see Bernie had great night, and won by a 66/34 margin :) (percentages from AP, via NY Times: AZ: 40, ID: 78 and UT: 80).

P.S. CNN blows, for only showing combined pledged / un-pledged (super) delegate totals, which serve no useful purpose, at this stage, even for Hillary supporters...

Arithmetic mean is meaningless here, if you want to show the split you should weight the results by delegates.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
ROFL, wtf is this shit

The "PC" culture you can actually rag on as opposed to people just trying to be asshats.

FFS; they are using the language of people being legitimately oppressed to talk about someone writing "Trump 2016" in CHALK. These idiots are going to do more damage to social justice then anything the GOP could dream of.

EDIT: Comment from the article sums up my feelings on it better than I can

The appropriation of the word and concept of being “triggered” (by people who claim to loathe appropriation) is extremely disappointing.

Once upon a time, it referred to the psychological trauma caused by evoking memories of harmful events in one’s past.

Now, it means “anything I personally don’t like”.

It’s been robbed of its meaning by narcissistic people who feel compelled to make everything about themselves by manufacturing a sense of victimization over mundane things, or real issues that haven’t had a meaningful impact on their lives.

Meanwhile, survivors of PTSD (rape victims, people who’ve endured other physical / emotional abuse, etc) now get lumped into the same category as white suburbanites who get “triggered” by the very mention of ideas and people they don’t agree with, and taking history classes that mention colonialism.

Language evolves, but the point isn’t that these sad babies are trying to change the meaning of a word. They’re actively embracing the original meaning and applying it to their trivial shit while equating their “struggle” against such horrors as Different Ideas and Unpleasant History, to those of rape victims and war veterans.

Brinbe

It's okay, let them gloat about this. The fun part is that Bernie can/will make all these gains for the next month, only for all those to be completely wiped out in a month when New York votes.

Similar thing happened in 08 too when Hillary ran up a bunch of wins after she was severely behind in delegates and kept pressing on.

Perspective
Combined, New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland put 531 delegates at stake. That's compared with the 265 delegates available in the all of the eight next contests that should be favorable to Sanders.

daedalius

Daniel B·;199001398 said:
Based on the current percentage of vote, which roughly translates to delegates to be awarded (I compared them), I see Bernie had a great night, and won by a 66/34 margin :) (percentages from AP, via NY Times: AZ: 40, ID: 78 and UT: 80).

Delegates are all that matter at this stage

I expect no less than three more final nails in the coffin by the time it's all said and done.

Yeah but back then there were still some (convoluted) possible ways for him to get a majority in delegates, you could accept the losing outcomes since the future would fix it.

Now they have to deny the unfavorable results because if they don't the delusion crumbles.

Gruco

Banned
As a former Emory kid, that story is really appalling and embarrassing. I can think of no better way to make the case that victim culture is real and out of control.

I say around April 26 where it pretty much ends. The rest will hope for CA making a difference or that he'll go to the convention and get something out of it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah but back then there were still some (convoluted) possible ways for him to get a majority in delegates, you could accept the losing outcomes since the future would fix it.

Now they have to deny the unfavorable results because if they don't the delusion crumbles.
What happened to you

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
lol Daniel B just added up and averaged the percentages, not the total vote count, to get his 66/34 number. I see you.

in a hilarious twist regarding the percentages we were all talking about yesterday, looks like it was actually closer to 58-42 (the exact margin he needs to win everything by for 3 months) by delegates

1,039 people participated in my home county (Bonneville)'s caucus! Yay?

The county where my parents live had a whopping 29 people participate.

Also there was a county in Idaho where 4 people participated and they all voted Bernie.

Drakeon

1,039 people participated in my home county (Bonneville)'s caucus! Yay?

The county where my parents live had a whopping 29 people participate.

Also there was a county in Idaho where 4 people participated and they all voted Bernie.

Caucuses are so fucking terrible. I mean if the goal is to suppress voter turnout, it sure works like magic for that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Delegates are all the matter at this stage

Pledged delegates are all that matter at this stage. Unpledged delegates can do whatever they want and would likely switch sides if Bernie was the clear winner of the pledged delegates, if only out of fear of what their constituents will do to the super delegate's own elected seats. There's not even a need for a general revolt against the party when you know exactly which elected officials are to blame for overturning the democratic result.

Pledged delegates show Hillary at huge lead, so show that. Showing unpledged delegates unnecessarily confuses things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom