• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

Some people are so eager to blame THE ESTABLISHMENT for everything that they don't notice the other guys actually trying to destroy them.

I actually commented to a usually reasonable friend on facebook to say that, yeah, it's voter suppression just as the GOP has been pushing for the past eight years and it'll probably only get worse in November.

The very next response under mine was about how outrageous it is that Bernie won two states and people are only talking about Hillary in Arizona; sounds suspicious!

It's like a prolonged punchline.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I actually commented to a usually reasonable friend on facebook to say that, yeah, it's voter suppression just as the GOP has been pushing for the past eight years and it'll probably only get worse in November.

The very next response under mine was about how outrageous it is that Bernie won two states and people are only talking about Hillary in Arizona; sounds suspicious!

It's like a prolonged punchline.

There's times I actively hit my head against my keyboard because people just can't see past the conspiracy to the even worse real shit that the GOP has been doing at the state level for the last decade or so.

tomtom94

To be fair, it's possibly just because of the places I check, but for instance, the BBC and Mother Jones and a couple of other outlets ran with "Clinton wins Arizona" as their only coverage of last night's results. Regardless of my thoughts on Sanders, he won two states, the reporting should reflect that.

Armaros

There's times I actively hit my head against my keyboard because people just can't see past the conspiracy to the even worse real shit that the GOP has been doing at the state level for the last decade or so.

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done,” -Pennsylvania state House Republican leader Mike Turzai 2012

He lost Pennsylvania

Ohio's governor at the time, Ted Strickland, who is now running for the senate. Ohio/Texas 08 was basically around the time I lost any respect for the Clintons over the "Kenyan garb" picture smear.
Ah, ok. I thought they didn't use that pic as a smear. Just that some folks on her campaign had it.

More from that Emerson Wisconsin Poll: 12% of GOP Primary voters would vote for Clinton in a Trump vs Clinton general election.

Trump has a -44% favorability score among GOP primary voters.

I've harped on this before. But tertiary education isn't a right. It doesn't provide the same kind of fundamental knowledge - literacy, numeracy, etc - that we've deemed necessary to provide our children for a functioning society.

It should be affordable enough that those with the aptitude and interest can attend and address societal needs for higher educated people in the labor market.

As a society, we subsidise things because they provide a social marginal benefit.

You have a whole bunch of people coming out of degree factories with a commoditised piece of paper and a whole bunch of debt. Getting rid of the debt isn't going to change the first part.

Fuchsdh

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 3m3 minutes ago
I think having Jeb's endorsement hurts Lyin' Ted. Jeb spent more than $150,000,000 and got nothing. I spent a fraction of that and am first!

In this weeks' case of "if I could only peer into an alternate universe", I'd be interested in seeing where Trump's campaign would have gone if he'd been given at best the same amount of coverage as his rivals. The media certainly does bear responsibility for his rise.

I've harped on this before. But tertiary education isn't a right. It doesn't provide the same kind of fundamental knowledge - literacy, numeracy, etc - that we've deemed necessary to provide our children for a functioning society.

It should be affordable enough that those with the aptitude and interest can attend and address societal needs for higher educated people in the labor market.

As a society, we subsidise things because they provide a social marginal benefit.

You have a whole bunch of people coming out of degree factories with a commoditised piece of paper and a whole bunch of debt. Getting rid of the debt isn't going to change the first part.

I agree. If the state is providing a public education it should be relatively affordable. But when people start talking about it as a human right, I glaze over.

If Sanders loses Wisconsin that's gonna be a real bad look for him.

The expectation was he would easily sweep 7 of the next 8 contests with some people leaving the door open for a win in Arizona. Seems the only real big gain he'll get is from Washington.

Slayven

UqaqFZg.jpg

Emerson is the pollster that put out that ridiculous NY poll recently so I'd wait for someone better, which we should actually get since there are two weeks until Wisconsin.

ampere

It's like the stupidity you'd have to believe to think she doesn't want to overturn Citizens United. It's a complete lack of historical knowledge on the issue.

The general attitude that supporting Hillary means opposing many of the things Bernie stands for is... overwhelming.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why would Cruz be doing well in Wisconsin?

I mean, they voted in Scott Walker twice. It's not out of the question they would vote for another vile human being.

ivysaur12

Banned
Another reason why I think Cruz will take Wisconsin:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/trump-cruz-kasich-western-primaries-221114#ixzz43lHMH6An

Attention will now turn to Wisconsin, the only state to vote in the next 27 days, on April 5. Cruz will campaign there for three straight days, starting Wednesday, as his campaign prepares to open yet another “Camp Cruz,” a dormitory for supporters willing to come knock doors on his behalf.

Cruz's organization is just so far superior to Trump's. This isn't Super Tuesday where you're competing in many states, this is Iowa all over again, albeit without a caucus.

The general attitude that supporting Hillary means opposing many of the things Bernie stands for is... overwhelming.
Had a discussion with a friend on this who seemed to suggest Hillary supporters think change can only happen incrementally.

I really think it depends on how you define incrementalism for one - the immediate impact of Obamacare was huge even if it might end up being seen as a step in the long run, for example - but also its not so much that incremental change is the only change, it's more "if we can't have this right this minute I'll still take it in 5-10 years." If I woke up tomorrow and we suddenly had universal healthcare and free college that would be swell. But a number of factors are preventing that so until then why not try getting states to sign up for the public option? Why not try getting a free* 2-year college bill through Congress? I mean if there's something big we can do right now (immigration reform giving legal status to 11 million immigrants? With a Dem Senate and even just a close GOP House it could probably get done. ENDA too) then go for it, otherwise we'll take these things as they come.

Bernie and Hillary both want a lot of the same things, they just have different paths to getting there. Wish people were willing to see this. But pointing that out is usually met with "Well I don't trust Hillary!" anyway, as if putting full faith and trust into any politician (Bernie included) doesn't reflect stupidity at worst and naïveté at best.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.theonion.com/article/kasich-trying-find-other-states-where-he-beloved-m-52572

Kasich Trying To Find Other States Where He Is Beloved Multi-Term Governor

COLUMBUS, OH—Hoping to build on the momentum from his victory in the Ohio Republican primary last night, presidential candidate John Kasich reportedly spent much of Wednesday trying to locate other states where he is a beloved multi-term governor. “Given our campaign’s tremendous success in Ohio, I’ve instructed my top staffers to focus all their efforts on identifying additional states where I am currently a widely popular governor, or have been in the past,” the candidate told reporters, adding that several aides were currently placing calls to every statehouse in the country to determine whether Kasich is a sitting governor anywhere else. “We want to move forward with the strategy that’s worked for us, and that means campaigning hard in states where my current constituents live. I’ve proved that I can win big in areas where I’m the governor, and now it’s time to take that approach nationwide.” Kasich went on to admit that he was still playing catch-up after his earlier strategy of trying to find states with a sizable moderate Republican base had proved unsuccessful.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Attention will now turn to Wisconsin, the only state to vote in the next 27 days, on April 5. Cruz will campaign there for three straight days, starting Wednesday, as his campaign prepares to open yet another “Camp Cruz,” a dormitory for supporters willing to come knock doors on his behalf.

I can't think of many worse places to be on earth. I mean, hanging around Cruz supporters for days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom