• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tonight will be the first debate I attempt to not watch. The pull will be strong, but I'll try to fight it.

So, Rubio is on the ballot in Florida, right? So even if he drops out, I think there's still going to be a non-zero number of voters who vote for him. Just like some people still voted for Jeb and Carson after they left. It would be hilarious if Rubio dropped out to give Cruz a win over Trump, only to have Trump win because too many people voted for Rubio anyway.

In fact, with absentee ballots, Rubio would actually likely have a shit ton of votes.

So, Rubio is on the ballot in Florida, right? So even if he drops out, I think there's still going to be a non-zero number of voters who vote for him. Just like some people still voted for Jeb and Carson after they left. It would be hilarious if Rubio dropped out to give Cruz a win over Trump, only to have Trump win because too many people voted for Rubio anyway.

In fact, with absentee ballots, Rubio would actually likely have a shit ton of votes.

Rubio Is Not Dropping Out Before FL.

pigeon

Banned
If I were the GOP establishment, forcing Rubio to drop out before Florida would be the only item on my agenda.

But it's only five days away. It would have to happen really really fast.

If I were the GOP establishment, forcing Rubio to drop out before Florida would be the only item on my agenda.

I've read that some are convinced that's what Jeb is meeting him about. Brokering the terms of surrender. He uses the last debate to go thermonuclear on Trump, then throws in the towel. I honestly keep waffling on what I want and expect to see.

Kusagari

Rubio dropping out will do nothing to stop Trump from winning FL. If it would help anywhere it would be Ohio with the few Rubio stragglers going to Kasich.

HylianTom

Banned
Tonight will be the first debate I attempt to not watch. The pull will be strong, but I'll try to fight it.
I played video games last night and felt fantastic about it.
(Of course, I'd pause every 20 mins or so to refresh this thread & the twitter, so I had assistance..)

Rubenov

But Cruz is less likely to win. Rubio at least has a majority of Southern Florida on lock; hard to see those people going for Cruz. Plus with all the votes he already got, it would be a waste.

Florida is challenging for Bernie. It's old, and there are large groups of non white vote. My mom's best friend who lives in Florida was talking about how the local news stories were talking about his Castro comment. This is central Florida. If it's getting negative play there, I can imagine it's getting play elsewhere. With early voting, I think Bernie's best play is to try and manage margins there.

Even if he managed 55% of all delegates, Hillary would have 150-180 delegate lead. If his campaign hasn't screwd up so much in the South, he could have had a fairly good shot at this.

I'm watching the debate tonight. My Berniebro flew back to Texas, but he'll be back this weekend. I'll play my drinking game tonight. Basically drink until you pass out.

Rubenov

Florida is challenging for Bernie. It's old, and there are large groups of non white vote. My mom's best friend who lives in Florida was talking about how the local news stories were talking about his Castro comment. This is central Florida. If it's getting negative play there, I can imagine it's getting play elsewhere. With early voting, I think Bernie's best play is to try and manage margins there.

Even if he managed 55% of all delegates, Hillary would have 150-180 delegate lead. If his campaign hasn't screwd up so much in the South, he could have had a fairly good shot at this.

I've been trying to tell this to the feelthebern people, nothing gets more negative attention in South Florida politics than Castro. It's not just Cubans but everyone.

net_favorability_rating_among_registered_voters_chartbuilder_21008e79fd4eb4cd212790e92c3f7add.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Republican voters are very bad at understanding which candidates are electable.

I'd imagine the cake is too baked for it to matter. He's already piled up quite a bit of the vote through absentees and will be on the ballot; it's likely people will vote for him in his home state regardless of whether he drops out this week or not.

The pressure will come after he loses. He needs to drop out 3-5 days after losing Florida IMO.

kmag

net_favorability_rating_among_registered_voters_chartbuilder_21008e79fd4eb4cd212790e92c3f7add.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Republican voters are very bad at understanding which candidates are electable.

Obama aside (he's a different case as as President basically his popularity is almost directly in lock with how the economy is doing) favorability tends to be a function of knowledge. The more the candidate is exposed to the electorate whether directly or via the lens of the oppositions framing of that candidate the lower the ratings get.

Kasich's number would plummet as soon as the spotlight goes on him, there's more than enough in his record to scare off a good proportion of independents. As it is, the other contenders in the Republican race have just ignored him.

Yeah, but thats registered voters, not registered republican voters. Thats whats baffling. I expected it to be negative, yes, but not THAT negative in a poll taken from both sides.
As a Cuban, I think the whole Cuban healthcare praise is bullshit. Everything else he said is fairly fine. Cubans were slaughtered by Castro.

Yeah, but they also were slaughtered by fulgencio. No change there.

If Trump had never entered the race, would Rubio or Bush had been the frontrunner for this primary and things would play out more like they normally do with Cruz occupying the secondary role Sanders has right now? It's crazy how much trump shook things up.

PBY

Banned
POLL UPDATE
2016 Florida Republican Presidential Primary - Trump 43%, Rubio 20% (FOX News 3/5-3/8)
Population 813 Likely Voters - Republican
Margin of Error ±3.5 percentage points
Polling Method Live Phone

1) 2016 Florida Republican Presidential Primary
Asked of 813 likely voters - republican
Ted Cruz (R) 16%
Don't Know 6%
John Kasich (R) 10%
None of the above 1%
Marco Rubio (R) 20%
Donald Trump (R) 43%
Other 5%

If Trump had never entered the race, would Rubio or Bush had been the frontrunner for this primary and things would play out more like they normally do with Cruz occupying the secondary role Sanders has right now? It's crazy how much trump shook things up.

If it wasn't for Trump, Cruz would be leading.

There is still a desire for an outsider. Jeb was never going to happen regardless. Cruz brings much of the same energy Trump does, but hes just getting overshadowed.

The only other person who might have benefited would have been Christie, I think

If it wasn't for Trump, Cruz would be leading.

There is still a desire for an outsider. Jeb was never going to happen regardless. Cruz brings much of the same energy Trump does, but hes just getting overshadowed.

The only other person who might have benefited would have been Christie, I think

Yeah I guess that makes sense. The emotions from the voters would still be there regardless. Trump just stole cruzes role basically.

POLL UPDATE
2016 Florida Republican Presidential Primary - Trump 43%, Rubio 20% (FOX News 3/5-3/8)

Ted Cruz (R) 16%
Don't Know 6%
John Kasich (R) 10%
None of the above 1%
Marco Rubio (R) 20%
Donald Trump (R) 43%
Other 5%
So this would have to be a bigger upset than the Michigan one with bernie was for someone other than trump to win.

POLL UPDATE

Ted Cruz (R) 16%
Don't Know 6%
John Kasich (R) 10%
None of the above 1%
Marco Rubio (R) 20%
Donald Trump (R) 43%
Other 5%

Jesus H. Bush. A 23% lead? That's crazy. Rubio is toast.

HylianTom

Banned
He could still be on path for the nom lock even id that happens right?
Since Florida is a such a delegate-rich winner-take-all state, he'd seal himself as the candidate with the most delegates heading into the convention. He'd be near-impossible to catch, although he still could be prevented from getting a majority of delegates.

Trump winning Florida would send the GOP's meltdown into its next stage.

Speaking of delegate counts, does anyone have the Clinton vs. Bernie delegate counts without Superdelegates? I'm tired of searching on big news websites :0(.

Owzers

Trump University debate tonight should be interesting, though i feel like i'm only watching to see how terrible it is now and i don't really want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom