• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

We'll all love Bernie again when he's stumping for Clinton after the summer.
If.

If he does campaign hard in November and helps turn out the youth vote against Trump then I'll forgive him like I forgave Hillary in 2008.

I do have my doubts though.

User1608

Banned
I still like Bernie, but I'm certainly a bit disheartened he's really not above it all when push comes to shove and things get desperate. Part of human nature I suppose.

A question; Would Hillary blatantly calling Trump a racist or what he says as racist do her well in the GE?

I think the strategy is to have big rallies so many people would know and maybe the local medias will cover which will give him recognition and positive publicity .

T'Zariah

Banned
I still like Bernie, but I'm certainly a bit disheartened he's really not above it all when push comes to shove and things get desperate. Part of human nature I suppose.

A question; Would Hillary blatantly calling Trump a racist or what he says as racist do her well in the GE?

Eh, maybe. I'd say her surrogates should call Trump the racist while she just continues to show him he knows absolutely NOTHING about policy.

She won't say it. nor will she really hint at it. Her surrogates, though, they'd be free to pretty much say it at liberty.

Tesseract

Banned
So he's actually serious about using super delegates to override the delegate deficit ala the will of the people.

Incredible. It's hilarious coming from the pillar of morality and honesty.

And I'd be against it if it was Clinton doing it.

Though I'd probably do it because I hate losing

it's democracy baybee

She should. Everyone in the party should be matter of fact about it. Coz he is racist. De Blasio did it right.

She can do it in the way she's been doing it all along. I just don't think coming out and calling him a racist is going to help her with anyone. To me, it paints anyone who is leaning Trump as a racist, and may make them dig their heals in. I do think some of his supporters are racist assholes, but I'm never a fan of attacking someone's constituency. Your goal is to get those people not vilify them.

gcubed

I think the strategy is to have big rallies so many people would know and maybe the local medias will cover which will give him recognition and positive publicity .

thats the strategy I'm sure, but honestly he already is inconsequential in the news cycle since the Ohio/IL/FL/MO/NC wash out, and if loses NY by any significant margin (+5 or higher) and then goes and bombs out in PA towards the end of April he will basically become a ghost.

He'll be wasting too much time in a state that won't matter

royalan

She should. Everyone in the party should be matter of fact about it. Coz he is racist. De Blasio did it right.

I agree, but she won't say it and she shouldn't. Not in this climate where people respond so strongly to being called racist...even when they're being blatantly racist.

Every member of #TeamQueen should do it, but the second she uttered the word, we'd be rendered deaf by the sound of millions of people shouting "How DARE she!?"

It'll be like when she called Trump sexist...x100

It's kinda insane that he's losing so bad when he's always packing stadiums and whatnot. I honestly don't think I could go to one of his rallies because it seems that he just says the same shit all the time.

Also, Obama down in Argentina showing out and doing the tango.
CeRnrC2WQAAI7jF.jpg

User 406

Banned
She can do it in the way she's been doing it all along. I just don't think coming out and calling him a racist is going to help her with anyone. To me, it paints anyone who is leaning Trump as a racist, and may make them dig their heals in. I do think some of his supporters are racist assholes, but I'm never a fan of attacking someone's constituency. Your goal is to get those people not vilify them.

I'm more concerned with our own constituency, to be quite honest. One of the reasons the Democratic party has consistently failed to do right by minorities is the dismissal and trivialization of racism. Hillary has started to talk the talk on systemic racism, it would be a big mistake in the time of BLM to start getting squishy on it. Those votes need to be earned.

This also plays into the whole "calling someone racist is the worst thing" colorblind frame. Our party should absolutely be calling out and shaming bigotry. The time to be wishy-washy on this is over.

It's kinda insane that he's losing so bad when he's always packing stadiums and whatnot. I honestly don't think I could go to one of his rallies because it seems that he just says the same shit all the time.

CeRnrC2WQAAI7jF.jpg

He packs stadiums full of people who don't vote.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well he does say the same thing all the time, but that's basically what rallies are. Just soul suckingly repetitive. But Bernie also takes it to the Nth degree by basically never ever modifying his stump speech ever.

User1608

Banned
I agree, but she won't say it and she shouldn't. Not in this climate where people respond so strongly to being called racist...even when they're being blatantly racist.

Every member of #TeamQueen should do it, but the second she uttered the word, we'd be rendered deaf by the sound of millions of people shouting "How DARE she!?"

It'll be like when she called Trump sexist...x100
This is the concern I had in mind with my question.

Racists suck.

danm999

Well he does say the same thing all the time, but that's basically what rallies are. Just soul suckingly repetitive. But Bernie also takes it to the Nth degree by basically never ever modifying his stump speech ever.

pigeon's comment he was like a vaudeville performer ruined by the advent of radio is the most on fucking point thing I've heard about Sanders stump speech repetition.

I'm more concerned with our own constituency, to be quite honest. One of the reasons the Democratic party has consistently failed to do right by minorities is the dismissal and trivialization of racism. Hillary has started to talk the talk on systemic racism, it would be a big mistake in the time of BLM to start getting squishy on it. Those votes need to be earned.

This also plays into the whole "calling someone racist is the worst thing" colorblind frame. Our party should absolutely be calling out and shaming bigotry. The time to be wishy-washy on this is over.

I have no qualms with calling out racism. Trump's ban on Muslims is an example of racism and bigotry. Where I don't think a candidate should go is calling the person racist, even if s/he is. Call their policies racist. Call their ideas racist. Calling them, and by their extension those who support them, racist feels, to me at least, like it has the potential of doing more harm than good.

We absolutely do need to walk the walk and earn the support of minority voters. We do that by having policies and positions that are better than the trash on the other side. We do that by calling out bigotry and hatred, like Hillary has done multiple times in her campaign. She did it really well last night and today, especially as it relates to Muslim and Muslim Americans.

It's like calling someone opposed to same-sex marriage a homophobe. Look, they probably are. But, if our goal is to change their hearts and minds, I just feel it's better to come at it a different angle. The moment you start throwing labels around like that, people put up their hackles and you lose the opportunity to engage with them. Show them why they're wrong, why their values don't line up with who we are as a nation.

And, to be clear, I do believe that Trump is a racist. I'm a peon on the internet, so me calling him that doesn't make a lick of difference. The only way to take on Trump is for Hillary to be above all the petty bullshit he's going to throw at her.

Just my two cents.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And, to be clear, I do believe that Trump is a racist. I'm a peon on the internet, so me calling him that doesn't make a lick of difference. The only way to take on Trump is for Hillary to be above all the petty bullshit he's going to throw at her.

That's what she's got deBlasio for. Hell, calling Trump a racist will probably help him out as well.

That's what she's got deBlasio for. Hell, calling Trump a racist will probably help him out as well.

Agreed. Someone in the campaign, but outside it, is the best way to handle this. If it blows up, you can disavow it a la the "special place in hell" comments. And, I also admit my position is 100% based on political optics.

Cerium

Agreed. Someone in the campaign, but outside it, is the best way to handle this. If it blows up, you can disavow it a la the "special place in hell" comments. And, I also admit my position is 100% based on political optics.

The thing about the "special place in hell" comments; Albright used that line in 2008 and got the same reaction back then. What made her think it would be a good idea to use it again? Especially after Sarah Palin tried to co-opt it in the general.

I know it's a personal motto of hers but you'd think that she'd learn after getting burned once.

Africanus

Please vote in mid terms guys.
My public university that I applied to in IL is unable to give most students (including me) financial aid because of the budget crisis. Not to mention, scholarships are being stripped.
Which all stems back to the pitiful turn out in the 2014 mid-terms that allowed Bruce Rauner to take office. Not that Pat Quinn was much better.

Yup.

I remember following Obama's campaign stops in 2010. He had a boilerplate stump speech but he would keep adding to it and changing it up which made it interesting. He had this metaphor about getting a car out of a ditch, but the Republicans want to put it back in the ditch that just kept getting more elaborate each time.

Almost every Bernie stump speech is the exact same.

This is ridiculous. Also, I don't think Quinn is biased, I think they're just bad at polling.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep.../general_election_kasich_vs_clinton-5162.html

of course that's ridiculous, it's the GOP version of the "sanders polls better against everyone" thing where the only reason it's the case is because they're treating him like generic [insert party here]

e: also, that quinnipiac poll is over-weighting republicans as well as men relative to basically every presidential election for 30 years (that, and they don't push undecideds whereas literally everyone else does), but then they've BEEN doing that. definitely leaning toward them just having shit weights rather than an explicit bias

Please vote in mid terms guys.
My public university that I applied to in IL is unable to give most students (including me) financial aid because of the budget crisis. Not to mention, scholarships are being stripped.
Which all stems back to the pitiful turn out in the 2014 mid-terms that allowed Bruce Rauner to take office. Not that Pat Quinn was much better.

Most people really underestimate the impact that state government has on their lives in comparison to that of the federal government.

Cerium

Yup.

I remember following Obama's campaign stops in 2010. He had a boilerplate stump speech but he would keep adding to it and changing it up which made it interesting. He had this metaphor about getting a car out of a ditch, but the Republicans want to put it back in the ditch that just kept getting more elaborate each time.

Almost every Bernie stump speech is the exact same.

Trump is the only candidate I've seen who does a different speech each time. He just makes it up as he goes.

CeRnrC2WQAAI7jF.jpg
like a boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom