• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think after all of this shit this primary season that Republican voters would even be interested in a right wing authoritarian hack like Cotton? A lot of the attacks on Rubio could be spun around to criticize Cotton. I mean for fucks sake his wife and kid were pretty much just check marks off the "shit I need to do before running for Senate in Arkansas" list.

No, I'm saying that those are the floated options (by the GOPe) to challenge Cruz in 2020 and I'm going through and listing why none of them (other than Haley) have a shot to beat Cruz.

It's not just being about conservatism anymore, Trump's rise shows a fundamental shift in the nature of the GOP away from the white nationalism being used as a motivator for poorer voters to support neoliberal policies to being dominated by the white nationalism.

It's not just being about conservatism anymore, Trump's rise shows a fundamental shift in the nature of the GOP away from the white nationalism being used as a motivator for poorer voters to support neoliberal policies to being dominated by the white nationalism.

I mean, I agree.

That's why people like Cotton and Sasse and Walker (unless Walker can get better at showing how much of a white nationalist he is instead of focusing on how much he hates workers) have no shot.

Ophelion

It's not about winning those states, it's about those crazy margins that he could have narrowed.

Fair. I guess we'll have to see how everything comes out in the end to see if that would've tipped the balance.

Edit: Of course, with momentum and people wanting to feel like they voted for a winner being a thing, maybe we'll never know for sure.

Letting Trump have free reign over the Republican primary for months and months was a bigger mistake. It's literally put the GOP in a lose-lose situation.

Haha, I suppose that is true. I was thinking more of a candidate impacting his or her chance to be nominated.

Maybe. Did he ever have a chance in the South to begin with?

By that, I kind of indirectly mean did he ever have a legitimate chance, period?

And I don't mean in some idealized Scandinavian utopia, I mean here in the United States, in the current environment we have today, across the entire country, did Sanders ever have a chance?

That's the thing though, we'll never know! And I have to imagine it hurt him among minority or AA voters in other states as well. I think it sends a really bad message about his caring for those voters, regardless of what he says.

We need a STAY CALM AND STOP DIALBOSING graphic.
JKmWIRC.jpg

Ohio PPP

Obama approval at 45/48

Kasich approval at 54/36

US Senate
Strickland 41
Portman 40

General election match-ups

Clinton 44
Rubio 41

Clinton 45
Cruz 40

Clinton 45
Baby Hand Man 40

Kasich 52
Clinton 37

Sanders 42
Rubio 38

Sanders 44
Baby Hand Man 40

Sanders 44
Cruz 38

Kasich 54
Sanders 34

Sherrod Brown Approve/Disapprove is at 43/33

Obamacare approval is at 41/41

69% support minimum wage over $10/hour

83% support background checks on gun purchases

66% support EPA's clean power plan

24% say they'd like to leave the country if Baby Hand Man is elected

16% say the same about Hillary

Skyline Chili Approve/Disapprove 32/22

Cedar Point 47
Kings Island 22

Bowdz

Ohio PPP

US Senate
Strickland 41
Portman 40

Clinton 44
Rubio 41

Clinton 45
Cruz 40

Clinton 45
Trump 40

Kasich 52
Clinton 37

Sanders 42
Rubio 38

Sanders 44
Trump 40

Sanders 44
Cruz 38

Kasich 54
Sanders 34

24% say they'd like to leave the country if Trump is elected

Cedar Point 47
Kings Island 22

Holy shiiiiiiit. They are SUCH a centrist state. Also, hnnnnnnnnnnngh at those Strickland numbers. BELIEVE.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ohio PPP

Obama approval at 45/48

Kasich approval at 54/36

US Senate
Strickland 41
Portman 40

Clinton 44
Rubio 41

Clinton 45
Cruz 40

Clinton 45
Baby Hand Man 40

Kasich 52
Clinton 37

Sanders 42
Rubio 38

Sanders 44
Baby Hand Man 40

Sanders 44
Cruz 38

Kasich 54
Sanders 34

24% say they'd like to leave the country if Baby Hand Man is elected

Cedar Point 47
Kings Island 22

BELIEVE IN STRICKLAND

STOP KASICH

YASSS AT EVERYTHING ELSE

Maengun1

I'm really hoping that if Trump takes the nom (and loses), and Ted runs again in 20 he finds himself the new Santorum. Guy who no one really saw as a contender early, randomly takes off and makes a decent showing, but is immediately a joke again in the next cycle among the fresh faces.

I've had my Cruz fill for this lifetime, thanks.

HylianTom

Banned
Hell is Truth seen too late.
- Hobbes

Kasich could've given the GOP's voters the vast majority of what they wanted. But they wanted a purist, an anti-establishment outsider. Going "too moderate" - even though that "moderate" would've voted their way >90% of the time - was apparently a bridge too far for them. And it will, in all likelihood, cost them dearly.

Hmm.

MIRROREDswans.tiff

that subliminal message is perfect.

Coriolanus is not a Hillary supporter (he's a Corbyn supporter) and Coriolanus's post was explicitly not about anything having to do with preferring one candidate to another. His point is just that Bernie, at 74, can't really afford to wait around for midterms to rile up the base in the way most useful for the Democratic Party.

I do think there's a pretty meaningful difference between 68 and 74 when we're talking about an 8-year term in office, but I agree that they're both too old for the job really. But you can wait for somebody to actually make the argument before arguing against it!

Y'know pidg, one of the things that kinda saddens me, even though it is pretty nice, is how with some of the reg'lars here we can pretty much finish each others sentences and there's often so very little reason to respond to one another, what with we all having a pretty good idea of where the parties are coming from.

even with metsfan becoming hitchens-lite and all.

Hell is Truth seen too late.
- Hobbes

Kasich could've given the GOP's voters the vast majority of what they wanted. But they wanted a purist, an anti-establishment outsider. Going "too moderate" - even though that "moderate" would've voted their way >90% of the time - was apparently a bridge too far for them. And it will, in all likelihood, cost them dearly.

Hmm.
Apparently what they wanted was tariffs and a wall. It's tough to argue that they wanted purity when Trump is the front runner, especially as polls show that the Republican electorate sees him as a moderate.

Apparently what they wanted was tariffs and a wall. It's tough to argue that they wanted purity when Trump is the front runner, especially as polls show that the Republican electorate sees him as a moderate.

What they wanted has zero to do with policy. They wanted someone who would say "yup, you're right to be angry, let's focus it." That's the link between Bernie and Trump. You're angry; Wall Street. You're angry; Mexicans. The targets are different but it comes back to justifying the feeling of dissatisfaction that so many people have.

Ecotic

Sherrod Brown for VP? Ohio has more electoral votes than Virginia.

Although I'd rather not pick a popular Senator from a seat we need to hold later if there's alternatives just as good. But it there's no one as good for the ticket as a Senator from Virginia or Ohio I would sacrifice the seat for the Presidency.

Sherrod Brown for VP? Ohio has more electoral votes than Virginia.

Although I'd rather not pick a popular Senator from a seat we need to hold later if there's alternatives just as good. But it there's no one as good for the ticket as a Senator from Virginia or Ohio I would sacrifice the seat for the Presidency.

No one needs to sacrifice a crucial Senate seat to stop Trump or Cruz.

Sianos

the arguments trump supporters both on and offline are using to defend him are the same double-edged insults i would use to condemn them

"his campaign manager only attacked that breitbart reporter because he thought she was part of the liberal media!!"

"protesters should know that trump rallies are dangerous places full of hateful people!! therefore its their fault for being assaulted"

"it's not racist to discriminate against muslims because islam isn't a race!!"

its absolutely absurd the lack of self-awareness they have

Bowdz

If Trump chooses Kasich as his running mate :/

Shit, if Trump chooses Kasich for VP, Hilldawg can just choose Castro. Kasich is not an attack dog whatsoever and Castro could definitely hold his own against him. At that point, Hillary just needs to run up the numbers for Hispanics.

Who gives a shit about Ohio if the Dems take VA, NV, CO, and FL?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Shit, if Trump chooses Kasich for VP, Hilldawg can just choose Castro. Kasich is not an attack dog whatsoever and Castro could definitely hold his own against him. At that point, Hillary just needs to run up the numbers for Hispanics.

Who gives a shit about Ohio if the Dems take VA, NV, CO, and FL?

This a a great point. There are a lot of long term positives for picking him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom