• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anti fracking is mostly about putting a face to dangerous environmental practices moreso than it is about specifically hating fracking. Nonetheless, you're right. No one really gives a shit about fracking.

I think even those who know about it, like most gaffers, are also torn.

Like, it sucks the implications that it has on the environment, on the other hand, I am not particularly sad about $1.50 gas.

"Gas is too cheap!" is a losing campaign strategy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It just feels, in part at least, not dissimilar to opposition to things like genetic engineering.

Although, I don't want to dismiss or discount there is real potential for impact if not done correctly.

Yes, my concern basically mirrors Hillary. If it can be done to both capture the Methane and show a chemical list that is safe, i'd be less against it. Natural gas will continue to be used for awhile yet.

pigeon

Banned
You know there are a lot of streets in NY right? Wall Street is only one street.

All those streets are linked together in a vast interdependent traffic web and if one street fails all streets in Manhattan fail. Which as far as I can tell happens literally every day, New York gaffers please confirm.

noshten

It would be even more stupid to suddenly go silent on the number one issue your campaign has been based around and totally undermine your image of consistency. Hitting wall street may not be great in New York, but it would probably tarnish his legacy forever if he went limp on wall street just because NY was about to vote.

Yes it's been the whole focus on the campaign, I expect things to get heated on the topic of Wall Street - especially if another debate is hosted online by TYT.

Tesseract

Banned
they should have sent a poet

0Qkg9yk.jpg

#notallstreets

The EPA seems to be continuing an ongoing examination of the impact of fracking based on like real peer-reviewed research, which I'm more interested and inclined to wait for the results of than YouTube videos or whatever.

This again seems to be a somewhat fundamental schism between the idea that there shouldn't be certain industries or that certain industries should simply be very well regulated.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Like, it sucks the implications that it has on the environment, on the other hand, I am not particularly sad about $1.50 gas.

Wrong kind of gas. We're talking natural gas, which is used to heat homes and not oil to turn into gasoline.

Yes it's been the whole focus on the campaign, I expect things to get heated on the topic of Wall Street - especially if another debate is hosted online by TYT.

In what universe do TYT host a democratic debate?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
#notallstreets

The EPA seems to be continuing an ongoing examination of the impact of fracking based on like real peer-reviewed research, which I'm more interested and inclined to wait for the results of than YouTube videos or whatever.

EXACTLY. I'll agree it went full speed ahead without proper research.

Is cenk doing ok now? Dude was insufferable after Hillary victories these past few weeks.

He will live in denial until after NY results, which should end the Primary.
A 60/40 for Hillary primary in NY effectively ends the contest.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ha ha memes and such, but I'm a little concerned that the lack of understanding of the process is going to cause serious disillusionment when she does eventually wrap this up. Maybe this is myopia but I can't remember if this happened in previous elections. Facebook existed in 2008 though so maybe I'm just being insane about this.

Wrong kind of gas. We're talking natural gas, which is used to heat homes and not oil to turn into gasoline.

Doesn't shale oil come via fracking? It's not just gas.

T'Zariah

Banned

In what universe do TYT host a democratic debate?

A TYT debate would be a massive circle jerk. There's no way in hell they'd NOT ask loaded questions of Hillary Clinton and make sublte attacks on her character.

Ha ha memes and such, but I'm a little concerned that the lack of understanding of the process is going to cause serious disillusionment when she does eventually wrap this up. Maybe this is myopia but I can't remember if this happened in previous elections. Facebook existed in 2008 though so maybe I'm just being insane about this.
My concern is that she only wins via supers (as in it gets her over the finish line) and that will drive people mad even though they're a legitimate part of the process. My hope is that she does hit the threshold and Sanders realizes it's time.

What I fear is the Ron Paul 2012 situation where his delegates cause a ruckus at the DNC. A major part of that problem was that Ron Paul refused to be a part of the convention and never conceded to Romney. I hope Bernie isn't foolish enough to think that's a good thing.

Iolo

I don't like fracking because eventually it's going to cause Oklahoma to sink into the Earth's mantle, and corporations don't care because they will just move elsewhere. If it were better regulated I would be fine with it.

Y2Kev

Well I'm surprised by that tweet earlier where that guy thinks CT, RI lean Sanders given that he didn't even win MA.

Again, I ask this since you ignored me last time, WHY WOULD TYT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO HOST A DEBATE?
YouTube is the future.

Future primaries will be based on social media followership.

Future Presidents will all be vloggers and LPers.

I think I somewhat loathe YouTube.

Y2Kev

Neither of them have Boston is the logic behind that, I would guess.

But they have their own respective large cities. I would think it's all proportional: smaller large cities but less "rural" voters as well. Are these more rural states? I didn't think that was the case.

SheSaidNo

I think the case against fracking is just murkier. I remember Mark Ruffalo getting clowned on real time a few years back. But then again he gets clowned pretty much every time he goes on that show. I can't see how it is a good thing (I mean pumping water into the earth filled with chemicals and shit?) but I think a lot of the oppo consists of people screaming it causes earthquakes and sets your water on fire. Is it true?

From what I've read the earthquake thing seems real. Here's a good article
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/13/weather-underground

Until 2008, Oklahoma experienced an average of one to two earthquakes of 3.0 magnitude or greater each year. (Magnitude-3.0 earthquakes tend to be felt, while smaller earthquakes may be noticed only by scientific equipment or by people close to the epicenter.) In 2009, there were twenty. The next year, there were forty-two. In 2014, there were five hundred and eighty-five, nearly triple the rate of California. Including smaller earthquakes in the count, there were more than five thousand. This year, there has been an average of two earthquakes a day of magnitude 3.0 or greater.

William Ellsworth, a research geologist at the United States Geological Survey, told me, “We can say with virtual certainty that the increased seismicity in Oklahoma has to do with recent changes in the way that oil and gas are being produced.” Many of the larger earthquakes are caused by disposal wells, where the billions of barrels of brackish water brought up by drilling for oil and gas are pumped back into the ground. (Hydraulic fracturing, or fracking—in which chemically treated water is injected into the earth to fracture rocks in order to access oil and gas reserves—causes smaller earthquakes, almost always less than 3.0.) Disposal wells trigger earthquakes when they are dug too deep, near or into basement rock, or when the wells impinge on a fault line. Ellsworth said, “Scientifically, it’s really quite clear.”

FiggyCal

Banned

If it causes earthquakes I'd rather pay more for gas.

The problem with an attack like that is that it has to be true.

They can just tell half-truths . I doubt it'll work though, since the campaign is going to attack Hillary on fracking that is the one of only ways I can see them doing it .

One point that the Sander's campaign brought up is after the 15th the campaign said the rest of the states benefit Bernie . I actually think that is wrong now I think about it, sometime in April to June nearly all the states benefit her. I think only a handful benefits Bernie, if Bernie loses Hawaii it just means that Bernie never fixed is prime issue. The rest of the states are racially diverse and/or perhaps heavily democratic. If she can win in Mass. I believe she can pretty much win in the rest of the New England states that are closed.

It's funny that we have no clue what's happening in Hawaii.

The Hawaii Democratic Party sent out a tweet 41 minutes ago saying "Find your caucus location here" and that's it. No results to be found anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom