• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

It's not a democratic system. I agree. Caucuses aren't either. This is not new info to anyone except for people who are..."new" to the political process, let's say.

It's not voter suppression. I don't understand why Rick Tyler is on msnbc. The guy is a proven rodent copulator!

Oh, that's certainly true. I have a feeling that most newcomers to the voting process just have no idea how fucked up and nonsensical it really is.

Truthfully, the whole electoral college should be abolished.

pigeon

Banned
Man, I would be an early adopter for a service that rounded up all the dumb indiivdual subscriptions that I need to pay for (NYT, WaPo, FT, WSJ I guess) and just gave them all to me at a discount. I feel like most of them are slightly overpriced.

pigeon

Banned
How long before Sanders and his campaign start calling Clinton a Republican?

That line actually sounded like a pivot to me, so I'm glad that he is making it. It gives him cover for endorsing Clinton once he loses the primary if he puts more of that in and less of "she's a corporate sellout."

Maxim726X

That line actually sounded like a pivot to me, so I'm glad that he is making it. It gives him cover for endorsing Clinton once he loses the primary if he puts more of that in and less of "she's a corporate sellout."

Thank the Gods.

For a while I thought he was going to drag her through the mud for months and make this ugly. As long as he does the right thing in the end, it's all good in my book.

noshten

Wasserman Schultz gets Obama endorsement as she faces Democratic primary challenge

Since 2004, Wasserman Schultz has faced relatively easy campaigns in an overwhelmingly Democratic district in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. This year, she faces a primary challenge from Tim Canova, a professor of law and public finance at Nova Southeastern University.

Echoing presidential candidate Bernie Sanders' criticisms of Democratic front runner Hillary Clinton, Canova has attempted to portray Wasserman Schultz as lousy on economic issues, too inclined to support corporate interests, and beholden to big money campaign contributors.

The language in Obama's statement, distributed early Monday morning by Wasserman Schultz's campaign, attempted to knock down those assertions and played up her progressive credentials and support for the middle class:

"Debbie has been a strong, progressive leader in Congress and a hardworking, committed Chair of our national Party since I proudly nominated her to the role in 2011.

"She always stands up and fights for what is right for her district while passionately supporting middle class families.

"Throughout my time as president I have seen Debbie bring an unwavering commitment to her family, her constituents, and our shared goals of protecting seniors, supporting working families, and expanding economic opportunity for more people," Obama said

The president's decision to endorse Wasserman Schultz, who at times has been subjected to anonymous criticism that national media outlets described as emanating from White House insiders, shows how seriously Wasserman Schultz is taking the Canova challenge.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-wasserman-schultz-obama-endorse-20160328-story.html

Wasserman Schultz gets Obama endorsement as she faces Democratic primary challenge

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-wasserman-schultz-obama-endorse-20160328-story.html

giphy.gif

i mean, i expected it, that doesn't mean i have to be happy about it

MEDIA: President Obama, are you going to endorse Congresswoman Schultz?

OBAMA: Webbie Sasserman Dhultz

plot twist: much like Subeirp Ecnier, you have to trick her into saying her name backwards in order to finally cast her back into that puzzle box

Holmes

Any new polls from New Jersey/Maryland? Hoping for solid wins from Clinton there.

How many delegates is DC worth?
DC is worth like 20 delegates and it's after June 7 so it's the last contest and the nomination will be settled by then. In other words, Sanders will spend $1 million to try to win it.

And New Jersey and Maryland are the safest remaining Clinton states, along with New York, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico (and Puerto Rico). New York will tell us how she'll do in New Jersey. Actually she might do better in NJ because upstate NY might drag down Clinton a bit.

dramatis

Do you guys think Trump will actually build a ground game for the general or still try to coast off of media attention and be cheapskates?

I really think the party would be better off with a new chair.
The chair position is a separate position from her position as US House Rep.

I don't mind if she's trying to keep her House seat because of the vote in the House (although this is a primary fight), but I imagine most people would just like DWS to stop being DNC chair.

noshten

Do you guys think Trump will actually build a ground game for the general or still try to coast off of media attention and be cheapskates?

He is entirely banking on Republican party organizations, super PACs and the Tea Party.
Trump is too concentrated on building a wall around himself from any tough questions to actually plan for the general.

DC is worth like 20 delegates and it's after June 7 so it's the last contest and the nomination will be settled by then. In other words, Sanders will spend $1 million to try to win it.

And New Jersey and Maryland are the safest remaining Clinton states, along with New York, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico (and Puerto Rico). New York will tell us how she'll do in New Jersey. Actually she might do better in NJ because upstate NY might drag down Clinton a bit.

I always felt that NJ would be better for Clinton in regards to percentage. Even though she is from NYC (Senator etc), the demo seems better for her in NJ.

Not sure of some of the other states in the Mid atlantic/atlantic (RI, CONN, Del)

The chair position is a separate position from her position as US House Rep.

I don't mind if she's trying to keep her House seat because of the vote in the House (although this is a primary fight), but I imagine most people would just like DWS to stop being DNC chair.

I don't think Trump's going to do jack shit as a GE candidate. The whole thing seems like some political science grad student's half-baked thought experiment accidentally leaked into reality. Trump just wants to jerk his ego off, and I don't think he needs to spend hundreds of millions of his kids' inheritance to do that.

jtb

Banned
Man, I would be an early adopter for a service that rounded up all the dumb indiivdual subscriptions that I need to pay for (NYT, WaPo, FT, WSJ I guess) and just gave them all to me at a discount. I feel like most of them are slightly overpriced.

does WaPo have a paywall?

Holmes

I always felt that NJ would be better for Clinton in regards to percentage. Even though she is from NYC (Senator etc), the demo seems better for her in NJ.

Not sure of some of the other states in the Mid atlantic/atlantic (RI, CONN, Del)
Well Delaware is sandwiched between Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania (Philly area), and it's a closed primary. Clinton will win. Connecticut and Rhode Island should the closest races on April 26 but they are closed and semi-closed respectively, and she was able to win Massachusetts. It won't be a blowout either way.

I mean, it kinda feels like calling Kasich an extremist is akin to saying Hillary is "center-right" if you compare her to EU politicians. In the current climate of the GOP, Kasich seems moderate to me. You can argue that the party as a whole is extreme right now, and I'd agree, but I don't think Kasich is especially far right within that spectrum.

I mean, Kasich wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade, pass an amendment that will make it impossible for the government to combat recessions (a balanced budget amendment), and wants to start three simultaneous ground wars in the Middle East.

I just don't see the moderation there. You can say that the last two are just stupidity instead of extremism though.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well Delaware is sandwiched between Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania (Philly area), and it's a closed primary. Clinton will win. Connecticut and Rhode Island should the closest races on April 26 but they are closed and semi-closed respectively, and she was able to win Massachusetts. It won't be a blowout either way.

Connecticut has a heavy AA and Puerto Rican population in Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport that's about ~25% of the state pop, plus very wealthy areas in southern CT where there are Dems who work, surprise, in the financial sector.

Bernie should win Litchfield and Eastern CT and lose Hartford, New Haven, and Fairfield County. I can't imagine it'll be a nail biter. RI will be much closer.

Holmes

Connecticut has a heavy AA and Puerto Rican population in Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport that's about ~25% of the state pop, plus very wealthy areas in southern CT where there are Dems who work, surprise, in the financial sector.
You think that's why Obama was able to narrowly carry the state in 2008 against her? She carried Rhode Island a month later and it wasn't even close.
White North Eastern catholics not wanting to vote for a black man?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So, it finally happened.

Woke up, checked FB, and saw a post from a friend of mine who was asking that if Sanders didn't win, whether Cascadia could secede from the US and have Sanders as their leader. She had quite the comments from our mutual friends suggesting it would be a good idea.

..........siiiiiiiiiigh............<facepalm>

I mean, Kasich wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade, pass an amendment that will make it impossible for the government to combat recessions (a balanced budget amendment), and wants to start three simultaneous ground wars in the Middle East.

I just don't see the moderation there. You can say that the last two are just stupidity instead of extremism though.
Besides the balanced budget stuff, you described George W Bush.

Too delicious.

The article, which is great.

It's a nice look at the problems currently facing the Republican Party. The Tea Party really has been a double edged sword for them. It would've been nice had they examined the way in which this conflict arose out of the coalition the GOP started building back in the 60s, but I suppose there's only so much that can be covered in one article.

ivysaur12

Banned
You think that's why Obama was able to narrowly carry the state in 2008 against her? She carried Rhode Island a month later and it wasn't even close.
White North Eastern catholics not wanting to vote for a black man?

Yeah. I haven't looked a precinct breakdown for CT 08, but my guess is that Obama won minority voters in Hartford/Bridgeport/New Haven and got enough white liberals in the Hartford suburbs (it's one of the most liberal suburbs in the country?) that was able to offset Hillary's wins with rich white Dems in southern CT (which she'll win this time) and rural Dems in the eastern and north western part of the state (which Bernie should win).

So, it finally happened.

Woke up, checked FB, and saw a post from a friend of mine who was asking that if Sanders didn't win, whether Cascadia could secede from the US and have Sanders as their leader. She had quite the comments from our mutual friends suggesting it would be a good idea.

We should form our own country, and our supreme leader should be the junior senator from a state over 2000 miles away!

CCS

Banned
So, it finally happened.

Aaaaand we're off the deep end :p

ivysaur12

Banned
Why don't we instead focus on key House progressives who are young and could conceivably run for the Senate in 2020 and maybe be a progressive presidential candidate then, like, secession.

Why don't we instead focus on key House progressives who are young and could conceivably run for the Senate in 2020 and maybe be a progressive presidential candidate then, like, secession.

Because that sounds like hard work. Let me just moan and complain because I may not get exactly what I want, when I want it.

So, it finally happened.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have a saying; if you can command the allegiance of woodland creatures, we are obligated to worship you as a God. The bird has chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom