• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thought of an evil FDR-type coming into power probably scared the shit out of all of them, especially after getting done with WWII and fascism all over Europe. If you look at where they were when it passed, it makes perfect sense that everyone would be for it.
That is a great piece if perspective.

Ecotic

Cruz's self-aware lawyer act is becoming almost enjoyable to watch, and I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's because I know he has no chance at the nomination or Presidency and his act is being directed at Trump now.

damisa

It's kind of amazing there's so much anger from both the left and right when the economy is the best it's been in years. Unemployment is way down and people's homes and retirement savings have mostly recovered. Sure wage growth has been slow, but inflation has been even lower, so people are still gaining. Not to mention we went from being stuck in 2 wars to being mostly out of conflict. I don't really have an explanation for this when all the numbers indicate things were much worse in previous years.

It's kind of amazing there's so much anger from both the left and right when the economy is the best it's been in years. Unemployment is way down and people's homes and retirement savings have mostly recovered. Sure wage growth has been slow, but inflation has been even lower, so people are still gaining. Not to mention we went from being stuck in 2 wars to being mostly out of conflict. I don't really have an explanation for this when all the numbers indicate things were much worse in previous years.

I mean, the 1960s were the angriest time in American history and the middle class never had it better (relative to everyone else) before or since.

Not all anger is economic. Most anger in U.S. history has really been about race.

User 406

Banned

Student debt, and black man in the White House, respectively.

I mean, the 1960s were the angriest time in American history and the middle class never had it better (relative to everyone else) before or since.

Not all anger is economic. Most anger in U.S. history has really been about race.

Relative positioning.

The young don't have power, the white working class is losing it.

Makai

1860s were a little worse.

(I agree with your point)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, the 1960s were the angriest time in American history and the middle class literally never had it better (relative to everyone else) before or since.

Which is pretty much where we are right now. Look how all this anger essentially started, on the right, when a black man became president. It's only gotten worse as we've begun to talk about white privilege and how people of color should be treated better. Certainly there's an economic component, and in swaths of the nation it has been festering, but you can't tell me that all of it coming to a head at a time when we start trying to have a real conversation about race is just a coincidence.

None of this to say that the people angry are all racist or that it's all about race. The recovery hasn't been equally distributed and we are in a place of transition economically, but to say race isn't playing a rather large roll in all this anger is also ignoring the history of this country.

Like in the 20's. He's hated by everyone especially after the news broke that the Chicago PD was sitting on the Laquan video until after Rahm's re-election.

Yea he fucked up. He should have just taken that in the teeth and gone for a congressional seat down the line.

Marco Rubio is just short-circuiting and combining random buzzwords together:

CdULcRlXIAEhghU.jpg

NeoXChaos

Danny Freeman ‏@DannyEFreeman 14m14 minutes ago
Just outside of Chicago tonight, Sanders hits Clinton repeatedly on trade, Rahm, Super PACs, transcripts, Iraq War. No mention of violence.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
When he won the election in 2008 and again in 2012 and all those times he refused to eat shit--if conservatives are to be believed.

I've seen Fox News commentators and guests many times literally claim that Obama being voted in President is proof positive that racism is no longer a problem in the US and that when he or anybody else raises the subject of continuing racism in any context (playing the race card!) it is an attempt to "divide the nation".

I look forward to Hillary's inauguration after which sexism will cease to exist.

None of this to say that the people angry are all racist or that it's all about race. The recovery hasn't been equally distributed and we are in a place of transition economically, but to say race isn't playing a rather large roll in all this anger is also ignoring the history of this country.
It really is the culture 'war'

People are angry about gay marriage
People are angry about ISIS
People are angry about depressed wages (and blame immigrants)

That's what makes Trump so appealing – I truly believe his repeated phrase "We don't win anymore" is masterful. It's all things to all people. It could mean anything from Presidential elections to your topic of choice in the poll of public opinion.

Crossposting from OT.. You were right Rusty..

More from Associated Press. Trump has been caught out in a massive lie. This is all manipulation.

"A spokesman for the Chicago Police Department says the agency never recommended that Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump cancel his campaign rally in the city.

CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tells The Associated Press that the department never told the Trump campaign there was a security threat at the University of Illinois at Chicago venue. He said the department had sufficient manpower on the scene to handle any situation.

Guglielmi says the university's police department also did not recommend that Trump call off the event. He says the decision was made "independently" by the campaign.

Trump cancelled the rally in Chicago due to what organizers said were safety concerns after protesters packed into the arena where it was to take place.

Trump afterward told MSNBC in a telephone interview that he canceled the event because he didn't "want to see people hurt or worse." He said he thinks he "did the right thing."

Guglielmi says Trump never arrived at the Chicago venue."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3cdd...-trump-says-generals-will-play-their-own-game

royalan

It's race.

That's why the "revolution" on the left isn't really a revolution like what we're seeing on the right, no matter how much some wish it were.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Blame journalists on Twitter :/

It's that character limit, no one wants to make a string of tweets just quoting some dude so they had to find a way around it. It's part of why I don't like twitter in journalism. It definitely has it's place, it's fantastic for disseminating breaking news, but most of the time it's used as a marketing tool and it's turned journalists at certain places into marketers as a result.

I can't begin to describe how incompetent Marco Rubio is as a politician.

You are never going to work again four days from now unless you have a massive upset, be aggressive, moron.

This guy will be selling reverse mortgages for the next 25 years if he doesn't win Florida and he's just so fucking weak on the attack.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We really need to pass a law that truncates the election season. Like, no one can announce or start running until November the previous year or something.

Then it will change to:

"Trump plans to announce he is running for president in November"

or

"Trump may be planning to run in November"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom