• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

He fucked up the delivery on the I AM YOUR VOICE line hard.

His speechwriter must be very happy with how their work is being delivered.

And now... Nothing.

HylianTom

Banned
Gratz to those who called Kaine. He's honestly a great choice who is experienced beyond reason and can help lock the race up by the time the polls close in VA. I guarantee that those Diablosing will be glad he was chosen come October and VA remains a solid blue state. I sincerely hope Kaine busts out Spanish tomorrow/Sat though and is on Telemundo/Univision every other week.

I want to know how long he can fly under English-speaking media while doing these regular appearances.

(and god do I ever love the idea of Virginia being called 15 minutes after its polls close)

Drek

Kaine is so safe he's actually un-safe. This is a brand election, old white dude is not what you want to try to sell when your competitor is Donald Trump.
Hillary doesn't want anyone with their own brand, it'll distract from her own message. It is a brand election but Kaine is the ideal surrogate to sell her brand, not the Warren or Booker brand, and we don't want Warren or Booker depleting their own brand to push hers.

Kaine can be like Biden, the relatable surrogate to mainstream white America. There is a reason Kaine came in second to Biden eight years ago.

Hillary doesn't want anyone with their own brand, it'll distract from her own message. It is a brand election but Kaine is the ideal surrogate to sell her brand, not the Warren or Booker brand, and we don't want Warren or Booker depleting their own brand to push hers.

Kaine can be like Biden, the relatable surrogate to mainstream white America. There is a reason Kaine came in second to Biden eight years ago.

Hillary's brand is more than just herself. It's about standing for inclusion and all Americans, build bridges together, etc, etc. Kaine doesn't reinforce that brand, he dilutes it. You are not beating Trump with white people anymore than Obama beat Romney with white people. You are beating Trump with everyone else.

royalan

I will be interested in how the media responds to the Kaine pick. We'll know day 1 what he brings to the campaign just on that.

Drek

I want to know how long he can fly under English-speaking media while doing these regular appearances.

(and god do I ever love the idea of Virginia being called 15 minutes after its polls close)
Why would he fly under English speaking media? Kaine has been a pro on the Sunday morning shows for a decade now.

Tubie

I had to close the stream 10 mins in.

There's not enough alcohol in the world to make me suffer through that entire shit.

Drek

Hillary's brand is more than just herself. It's about standing for inclusion and all Americans, build bridges together, etc, etc. Kaine doesn't reinforce that brand, he dilutes it. You are not beating Trump with white people anymore than Obama beat Romney with white people. You are beating Trump with everyone else.
Trump is incredibly vulnerable with college educated whites and even shows cracks with Roman Catholics. She is already beating himwith everyone else by margins that don't get any better.

Also, how in the world do you think Kaine dilutes her building bridges message? That is basically Tim Kaine's career rhetoric. Speaking with people, building consensus, making society better through dialogue.

And all Presidential elections ultimately hinge on the candidate themselves. This is why people always avoid overshadowing VP picks.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Halp I can't rock this baby to sleep drink my beer and refresh mobile GAF at the same time. :(
Edit: ugh. Posting is even worse !!!

HylianTom

Banned
Why would he fly under English speaking media? Kaine has been a pro on the Sunday morning shows for a decade now.

I'm not rooting for ignoring of the appearances to happen; I've just noticed that when Hillary has appeared (or when Kaine appeared recently), they've gotten very little coverage. I just find this a bit odd.

watershed

Banned
Ultimately Kaine is not a bad pick. He works in the Midwest, knows and gets along well with Hillary, has executive experience and strong domestic and foreign policy chops, locks up Virginia, and speaks fluent Spanish.

He's just boring but not actually bad. And he could still surprise us with great energy and good speeches. He is definitely comfortable with the media as well.

Holmes

Sanders playing a smart game on Twitter, referring to how his supporters reject whatever Trump is talking about in his speech. He's actively trying to get them involved in the Democratic campaign (of which he is now a part of after his endorsement and speech on Monday) and I hope to see more of that on the campaign trail.

Trump is incredibly vulnerable with college educated whites and even shows cracks with Roman Catholics. She is already beating himwith everyone else by margins that don't get any better.

Also, how in the world do you think Kaine dilutes her building bridges message? That is basically Tim Kaine's career rhetoric. Speaking with people, building consensus, making society better through dialogue.

And all Presidential elections ultimately hinge on the candidate themselves. This is why people always avoid overshadowing VP picks.

I think if you're approaching this election with the standard election thinking it's a mistake. This is the ultimate brand election and Donald Trump is the best brand marketer around right now. I don't see the voter who is on the fence about Trump/Hillary and Kaine somehow is the decisive factor in a way that Pence doesn't cancel out.

The election is going to be about emotions and not about reason. The VP not being important overall is exactly why you shouldn't be playing safe with it. Use it to create an emotional narrative that will get traction in social media (driven by young people), 'my ticket is multicultural and yours isn't'. All older white people is not a great look in 2016.

holy shit, Trump added a NYT NATO defense into the speech.

edit: WE DON'T WANT THEM IN OUR COUNTRY. REMOVE THE VERMIN JEWS. HEIL HIT...oh sorry, thought we were somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom