• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Cleveland:

CnlFptPXEAA84W5.jpg:large

Police will have to show a huge amount of restraint.

They aren't black, I'm sure they feel safe

Fuck everybody talking about Baton Rouge like it's oh-no, not another police shooting. Louisiana is the murder capital of the US (with greater gun violence than Mexico) and Baton Rouge and New Orleans are the reason why. This should be a discussion about why citizens on the regular are allowed to wage violent war against each other in a civilized country.

DISARM.

Ed Gallek ‏@edgallekfox8 60m60 minutes ago
Cleveland Police union asking OH governor for temporary end to legal open carry of weapons w Republican Convention here

(Request after what happened today in Baton Rouge).

Grief.exe

Conservatives run with the most unjustifiable narratives. Shootings happen because of a lack of leadership. ISIS exists because President Obama won't refer to terrorism as 'Radical Islam.'

CnlXUU4W8AApyzw.jpg

Wouldn't "law and order" in this case mean some forms of gun control? Not really sure how else you could manage the "order" part.

Oh, and fuck you for the instant politicization, of course.
Taking guns away from black people I guess?
Sadly, I know you're serious that politicians would be serious about this.

Grief.exe

Wouldn't "law and order" in this case mean some forms of gun control? Not really sure how else you could manage the "order" part.

Oh, and fuck you for the instant politicization, of course.Sadly, I know you're serious that politicians would be serious about this.

I think he's referring to increases to the military budget, more incarcerations, more surveillance, etc.

Oh, and fuck you for the instant politicization, of course.Sadly, I know you're serious that politicians would be serious about this.

It's the Sheriff Arpaio mentality of ignoring rights and being "tough".

Serious question to people in open carry states-- How do you resist the urge to call 911 any and every time you see someone toting an assault rifle around?
I think he's referring to increases to the military budget, more incarcerations, more surveillance, etc.
Still wouldn't help, lol. I'm just interested in seeing how politicians tie themselves in knots this fall on how to justify zero changes to gun ownership or sales laws. If the deaths of law enforcement won't get them to act, nothing will, ever. Merciless slaughter of young kids didn't cut it, but police are (rightfully) 100% sacred in terms of public safety.

gcubed

Serious question to people in open carry states-- How do you resist the urge to call 911 any and every time you see someone toting an assault rifle around?
Still wouldn't help, lol. I'm just interested in seeing how politicians tie themselves in knots this fall on how to justify zero changes to gun ownership or sales laws. If the deaths of law enforcement won't get them to act, nothing will, ever. Merciless slaughter of young kids didn't cut it, but police are (rightfully) 100% sacred in terms of public safety.

i live in PA which allows open carry. I've never in my life seen someone walking around in public with a gun on them in the open.

What's unique is that following 9/11, one of the mantras repeated to the American public is "if you see something (suspicious), say something." - Yet, that's somehow supposed to exclude seeing someone with an AR-15 slung around their back in public areas in certain states.

They need to stop calling them "assault rifles" and just go with the more accurate term "weapons of war". Basically, anything that was ever designed by and for the military, or anything derived from them, should never be made available for public sale. Certain ones should be banned outright and made illegal to own, with buyback programs compelling owners to give them up. This line of bullshit that a semi-auto .22 hunting rifle is the same as a SCAR needs to be rejected.

You just defined a term that includes every gun ever manufactured, plus the Internet.

Banning semi-automatic long guns is nuts. Almost all long guns in the world are semi-automatic. People don't generally run around with bolt action rifles for hunting deer. That's like bow hunting.

If your goal is to limit guns that are best designed for killing humans, you could focus on caliber or ammo type. That might work.

And you'll inevitably draw the "Chris Kyle was the deadliest sniper in US history and he used a hunting rifle" line as well.

The hardest part about gun control arguments is that virtually none of them would prevent a lot of mass shootings. The genie is out of the bottle here; we simply have too many guns and ammo lying around to talk gun control in terms of other nations' solutions. We've actually got to trailblaze here somehow and figure out what to do about guns in a country where they outnumber people.

Also many individual places have a lot of restrictions on open carry.

Yeah, and every person I've ever talked to with guns would argue that you're just making yourself the first target in a shooting. They either conceal carry or just don't carry at all.

Grief.exe

And you'll inevitably draw the "Chris Kyle was the deadliest sniper in US history and he used a hunting rifle" line as well.

The hardest part about gun control arguments is that virtually none of them would prevent a lot of mass shootings. The genie is out of the bottle here; we simply have too many guns and ammo lying around to talk gun control in terms of other nations' solutions. We've actually got to trailblaze here somehow and figure out what to do about guns in a country where they outnumber people.

That's where passing one of those 'common sense' gun reforms would likely make a large difference. The 'gun show loophole' as it is commonly referred to is, in reality, just unregulated private sales. People can buy guns online, in person, or used at a gunshow (new sales still need to pass background checks) completely unregulated.
The irony is, there is already a system in place for when people purchase new guns online. Someone orders the gun and the site ships it to an FFA dealer that confirms identity and runs the background check. This could easily be expanded to private sales ubiquitously while also bringing more money into small businesses.

There is no possible way of keeping 300+ million legal guns out of the hands of bad people, but make the punishments extremely severe for selling a weapon without an FFA dealer and it will reduce the likelihood.

gcubed

Yeah, and every person I've ever talked to with guns would argue that you're just making yourself the first target in a shooting. They either conceal carry or just don't carry at all.

there are plenty of ideas that will possibly help, from smart guns, to a proper database tracking sales of registered firearms... which you can then use to actually enforce straw purchase or lax storage requirements... or a waiting period for all purchases and transfers, since the last few mass shootings all had gun purchases a few days before the shootings.

Nothing is going to stop them all, and i'm not one who believes in repealing the 2nd amendment, but there are a lot of good things to at least makes things a bit.. harder, or hold people a bit more accountable for what other people do with their guns

And agreeing with anthraxsuicide, most responsible gun owners thing open carry is crazy because you become a target. You open carry a rifle and i think you really need a mental health evaluation

Boke1879

What in God's name does Trump expect? Does he want the President to be a psychic and put people in jail before they commit crimes?

It's not like Obama hasn't been trying to pass meaningful gun reform laws to at least help try to combat these issues.

Slayven

What in God's name does Trump expect? Does he want the President to be a psychic and put people in jail before they commit crimes?

It's not like Obama hasn't been trying to pass meaningful gun reform laws to at least help try to combat these issues.

Obama never won the apprentice

Emarv

The problem is "nobody is held accountable for their actions anymore", and only Trump/the GOP can fix that....somehow.

royalan

He expects (rightly) that he won't be asked that question in response, because he has surmised (rightly) that our media is garbage.

You don't have to have an actual plan for these sorts of things. Just point at the person in charge and say "You need to be doing more!" and everyone falls in line in tacit agreement.

He's a candidate that wants to win. He will latch onto anything and promise everything in order to win. Don't need to analyze any further than that because it's really that simple.

Diablos

Gary Johnson at 11%? He's going to get on the debate stage if he keeps rising. 4 points away. How many polls have to show him at 15% until he's on the stage?

Emarv

If Johnson gets 15%, hopefully it's just for 1 debate. I hate that these two are driving people to that silly party.

pigeon

Banned

Gun control and mass shootings are really separate topics. The only reason they get linked is political, because mass shootings might provide the impetus for gun control.

But the actual gun control steps you'd want to provide a lot of gun deaths (handgun controls, mostly) are very different from the steps that would help prevent mass shootings, because mass shootings happen mostly with long guns, and most gun deaths happen with handguns.

Also worth noting that "cultural" or actually practical (hunting, animal defense) weapon ownership is almost all long guns. People don't buy pistols if they're worried about bears.

In terms of preventing mass shooting I still firmly believe that most mass shooters have personality indicators and we should actually just be trying to identify and monitor or even control people with tendencies towards domestic violence, impulse control, brittle self-images, etc. Those are the people who go out and shoot people. Also maybe figuring out why we're producing so many of these people (although I suspect we always did and we just used to get rid of them by sending them to war or whatever).

In terms of handgun deaths, there are a variety of issues. I would seriously argue that a significant quantity of street violence is basically a symptom of cultural adaptations to a society where interactions with the carceral state have normalized violence. If people believed that the police could be trusted to protect them, they would be less likely to use deadly force. After all, that's how we got street gangs in the first place.

As 538 noted, that doesn't cover the majority of gun deaths, which are suicides. (Which almost certainly relates to the growing rate of white male suicides, incidentally.) But I think the strategies here are pretty clear, it's just a question of consistent implementation.

Diablos

If Johnson gets 15%, hopefully it's just for 1 debate. I hate that these two are driving people to that silly party.
We thought Bernie might have been the third party spoiler at one point, but now it might be Johnson. Dammit.

Again, do we have data on who exactly is flocking to Johnson?

shem935

Banned
We thought Bernie might have been the third party spoiler at one point, but now it might be Johnson. Dammit.

Again, do we have data on who exactly is flocking to Johnson?
The numerous polls that show Johnson is pulling a lot more support from trump? Guy is a libertarian and former republican governor. He is the second option many republicans are looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom