• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Ryan is the scariest Republican potential candidate. He is a con man who knows how to sell the con, has solid favorable numbers, and is good looking/well-spoken.
Literally none of those descriptors apply to Trump.

4 years of being Speaker of the Shitfest will destroy him. Not a 2020 contender.

gcubed

Paul Ryan is the scariest Republican potential candidate. He is a con man who knows how to sell the con, has solid favorable numbers, and is good looking/well-spoken.

Good thing he decided to be speaker. If by some insane miracle the dems took the house his career would be over

RDreamer

People were saying this about Ryan before Biden stole his soul.

thebloo

Why the fuck does the media think Ivanka is some sort of secret weapon to win over woman?

I think she could have been. She's smart, pretty strong on all types of equality and good looking. I mean, some people in this thread would probably vote for her if she ran for something. But her daddy ruined even that.

HylianTom

Banned
4 years of being Speaker of the Shitfest will destroy him. Not a 2020 contender.
As soon as he agrees to a budget with Hillary, she'll praise him for working hard with her, and his rep will be ruined. Bonus points if she ever gets a photo with him warmly shaking hands or hugging.

Maledict

People were saying this about Ryan before Biden stole his soul.

This is that left wing echo chamber coming to the front again. Biden didn't destroy his soul. Most of the polls showed a narrow win for Biden in the debate at best, and indeed there was a lot of negative feedback on his performance and how mocking he was. Biden was great at rallying the base in the debate, but it was by no means a massive win nor did he 'steal his soul' - far from it. It picked the party back up after Obama's disasterous first debate, but it in absolutely no way harmed Ryan's long term political chances.

This is that left wing echo chamber coming to the front again. Biden didn't destroy his soul. Most of the polls showed a narrow win for Biden in the debate at best, and indeed there was a lot of negative feedback on his performance and how mocking he was. Biden was great at rallying the base in the debate, but it was by no means a massive win nor did he 'steal his soul' - far from it. It picked the party back up after Obama's disasterous first debate, but it in absolutely no way harmed Ryan's long term political chances.

It is exactly what was needed though. Rally your current coalition, forget about appealing to others. Whys is exactly why Kaine is not a good pick.

Maledict

For whatever reason they have the conventions before the Olympics this year instead of after them. This is around the typical time for VP announcements for both parties.

The republicans brought theirs forward as a response to what happened to Romney in 2012. You can only start spending your GE raised funds after you formally and legally become the nominee at the convention. Because he ran out of primary funds and because the convention was later in the year it meant that there were several months where Romney had hardly any cash to counter Obama's massive, constant pummelling of him in the battleground states. So they brought it forward so the nominee could unlock their general election funding earlier on in the year.

In terms of order, the party that currently controls the White House goes second - it's a tradition.

Wilsongt

The whole "both candidates are terrible" meme is getting old.

If someone honestly thinks Hillary is a fraction of the badness of Trump, they need to do some soul searching or dip out of following national level politics and focus on local.

Maledict

It is exactly what was needed though. Rally your current coalition, forget about appealing to others. Whys is exactly why Kaine is not a good pick.

Oh yes, absolutely - everyone was so distraught and freaked out after Obama's first debate, we needed someone to go out there and be seen to really *fights* and take on the republicans. After Romney lied and dance around the truth in his debate, we needed someone who would counter that.

My point was just that the 2012 VP debate is often seen in left wing circles as an utter demolition and humiliation of Paul Ryan, and it wasn't. It was fantastic entertainment for us on the left, but it hasn't harmed him at all and wasn't some killer, knock out blow.

Biden's to the right of Kaine by any reasonable measure. Do you just want Clinton to nominate a really loud person? Ed Schultz doesn't seem very busy at the moment.

watershed

Banned
A few more years of being speaker with the Republicans in the house now will crush his soul and make him want to go home and be a family man for real this time. He will lose his will for poltics the way Boenher did.

I think she could have been. She's smart, pretty strong on all types of equality and good looking. I mean, some people in this thread would probably vote for her if she ran for something. But her daddy ruined even that.

She's smart and diplomatic, but in what way is she inspirational to woman?

Does her fashion brand even register a pulse?

Not to mention how she essentially made up policies that the GOP will never come to.
I haven't seen the reporting, but I assume it's because they think women are weak minded and easily swayed.

Yeah, she's only there to soften his image.

"He said and did sexist things, but look at his daughter!"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its gonna be Kaine

But man I'm really hoping they were playing the long con and they really did just want to punk everyone with a Warren announcement

ampere

Anecdotal hopium: Three Bernie-or-Busters I know in real life posted begrudgingly tonight that, due to Trump's speech, they are voting for the fucking queen.

I can add another anecdotal story.

Cousin who called me a traitor for being gay and voting for Queen, texted me and said "Fine. I'm with her."

So....progress.

Guys, the RNC is all about unity... for the Dems via being terrified of the insane RNC speeches.

My opinion of Ivanka has dropped precipitously in the last 12 hours:

Yea I mean realistically what could we expect, she was going to give a glowing speech about her dad

But it made me sad

Teggy

Yea I mean realistically what could we expect, she was going to give a glowing speech about her dad

But it made me sad

She could give a speech about her dad without pulling democratic policies out of her ass and claiming he supported them when he's never mentioned them once.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You know what was not a story?

The protestors outside the RNC.

They were mentioned, but they did not do anything stupid!

Even that went well :)

My opinion of Ivanka has dropped precipitously in the last 12 hours:

You sorta get the sense that she does not really follow Republican politics after reading bits of that speech.

Kid Heart

A few more years of being speaker with the Republicans in the house now will crush his soul and make him want to go home and be a family man for real this time. He will lose his will for poltics the way Boenher did.

Trump alone has probably knocked a few years off his political lifespan. I can't imagine retaining the same enthusiasm for politics after having to not only endorse a man you loathe for president, but also become forced to defend half of his insane rhetoric.

DrMungo

How is 538 running the polls? Are they weighing old polls from the time of email issues?
With Trump's horrible convention, I'd figure trump would get a dip. but his chances went up?...

tbm24

Trump cannot help himself. He just can't not respond.
Would like to see the Press try and sweep Cruz's actions under the rug after Trump just vindicated him again.

Geg

I have a question about voter registration and I figure this would be a good place to ask: I've moved since the last time I voted. I'm about 90% sure I'm in the same congressional district but I am in a different city. What, if anything, do I need to do?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Remember that being seen as a do nothing obstructionist does nothing but help your opinion with the Republican base, so long as you're a Republican.

How is 538 running the polls? Are they weighing old polls from the time of email issues?
With Trump's horrible convention, I'd figure trump would get a dip. but his chances went up?...

The convention has been over for 12 hours and one assumes that officially being nominated marginally helps one's chances

Effect

I have a question about voter registration and I figure this would be a good place to ask: I've moved since the last time I voted. I'm about 90% sure I'm in the same congressional district but I am in a different city. What, if anything, do I need to do?

You'll have to submit a change of address I think. I think that's one of the options. You're already registered but your polling location has changed.

Teggy

The convention has been over for 12 hours and one assumes that officially being nominated marginally helps one's chances

Also, there were tighter polls last week. We'll have to see what kinds of polls come out this week and after the D convention.

pigeon

Banned
Why is the only thing that defines someone as progressive now a commitment to being against TPP?

I got up this morning and got pretty angry in the shower. It doesn't come up much that I am a second-generation immigrant because nobody has ever before made me feel like I and my daughter would be under threat because of that.

But under Trump we would be personally in danger.

If you're willing to allow a white nationalist to take over America because you are worried about investor-state dispute settlement then you can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned. I will remove you from my professional network on LinkedIn.

Brinbe

lol WHAT THE FUCK IS HE TALKING ABOUT

MESS!

Now comes the post-convention hangover... Have fun, GOP. This is your reality now.

OmniOne

I can not wrap my head around why Warren would have agreed to that Colbert bit if she knew she was not the pick.

It does not make any sense to lead people on that way. For either Warren or Clinton's camp. It wasn't something unexpected that Colbert asked her in an interview, it was a planned, rehearsed and staged bit.

I'm sure it's Kaine but that was really really weird.

Teggy

Interesting note about the tighter Ipsos poll that came out. The Obama approval rating on that poll was 44-49 against, which is quite out of step with current polling. The previous Ipsos poll was 51-45, which is close to current polling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom