• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can generally handle the swings in politics pretty well but that CNN poll completely blew my mind. Spent an hour researching what its like living as an expat in Spain. If the race is close in a month I'm legit going to convert half of my savings into euros.
A convention bounce causes you to evaluate moving to other countries?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The polling isn't surprising in the least. As a few of us have been saying for months, this isn't a slam dunk for Hillary. Trump has a decent shot of winning (something I have been laughed at for saying before). The country is incredibly polarized right now, and Trump is the embodiment of all the underlying racist, selfish tendencies so many people in this country have. He says what they feel and now they have an excuse to express it.

The democrats have done a terrible job trying to draw in uneducated whites and have been appealing to elites and the educated for years. The problem with that is that they're basically ignoring half the possible voters in the country. That is now becoming more evident, and with somebody capable leading the DNC (i.e., no DWS), perhaps they can start effectively marketing toward that group.

Seriously, the democrats have been terrible at marketing for a decade now. Obama aside (and let's face it, he is a superstar who basically did it on his own), they are dreadfully ineffective at forming and projecting a solid paradigm and message. They also refuse to play politics (e.g., hitting opponents on low-hanging fruit) and I don't get why. The uneducated groups LOVE that stuff. The GOP has a clear advantage there.

PBY

Banned
A convention bounce causes you to evaluate moving to other countries?
It's not just a convention bounce though

He's been surging this entire past month. 538 has written about it, Nate is fucking shook - I'm sorry I can't hand wave this away.

This is really real. Smh America.

CNN is absolutely loving this shit. I mean, they went on a hiring spree of Trump shills in order to provide "all sides", whatever the fuck that means, and gave these craven liars titles of "anayst" and a massive megaphone to amplify their stupidity and sheer dishonesty.

Screen_Shot_2016_07_25_at_9_10_22_AM.jpg

Y2Kev

It's not just a convention bounce though

He's been surging this entire past month. 538 has written about it, Nate is fucking shook - I'm sorry I can't hand wave this away.

This is really real. Smh America.
Wow seek help

Slayven

The polling isn't surprising in the least. As a few of us have been saying for months, this isn't a slam dunk for Hillary. Trump has a decent shot of winning (something I have been laughed at for saying before). The country is incredibly polarized right now, and Trump is the embodiment of all the underlying racist, selfish tendencies so many people in this country have. He says what they feel and now they have an excuse to express it.

The democrats have done a terrible job trying to draw in uneducated whites and have been appealing to elites and the educated for years. The problem with that is that they're basically ignoring half the possible voters in the country. That is now becoming more evident, and with somebody capable leading the DNC (i.e., no DWS), perhaps they can start effectively marketing toward that group.

Seriously, the democrats have been terrible at marketing for a decade now. Obama aside (and let's face it, he is a superstar who basically did it on his own), they are dreadfully ineffective at forming and projecting a solid paradigm and message. They also refuse to play politics (e.g., hitting opponents on low-hanging fruit) and I don't get why. The uneducated groups LOVE that stuff. The GOP has a clear advantage there.

How do you appeal to uneducated whites?

PBY

Banned
Wow seek help
Why?

I mean, I'm playing it up a little, DIABLOSING etc. tat said - this thing is close. Way closer than I ever imagined it would be, and that terrifies me. If you look at the 538 models, the demographics liiiiikely will be enough, and the DNC has their week now. I'm more just freaking out that it is somehow so close, for basically "reasons".

Y2Kev

Why?

I mean, I'm playing it up a little, DIABLOSING etc. tat said - this thing is close. Way closer than I ever imagined it would be, and that terrifies me. If you look at the 538 models, the demographics liiiiikely will be enough, and the DNC has their week now. I'm more just freaking out that it is somehow so close, for basically "reasons".

This will be four days of feeling good. Let's just enjoy it.

I don't care how much Trump leads nationally (even if these weren't obviously anticipated temporary convention bumps) if he has no electoral college victory path. I'll start worrying once that falls apart for Hillary.

Boke1879

That's not easy when you have children who have to grow up living with the consequences.

It's not easy for me either. I don't want that man representing my country and I fear what he will do.

But right now it does nothing to pull your hair out. Tonight we get Michelle, Warren and Sanders speaking. Let's focus on that which I think will help dominate the news cycle.

gcubed

It's she speaking right now?

If that was the compromise to get her gone then fly her away right after.

The one thing I will say about either of the Clintons is that they are good at making things worse

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, is it true that DWS was hired by the Clinton Campaign after resigning? Seeing it out there, a lot more than the usual BS rumor, but can't find sources.

The one thing I will say about either of the Clintons is that they are good at making things worse

She had a brief speech with the Florida delegates just now.

PBY

Banned

She's speaking at a breakfast. I think she's speaking again tonight - that portends to be a shitshow if so.

Brinbe

Further info on the hack
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-signs-point-to-russia-being-behind-the-dnc-hack

In the wee hours of June 14, the Washington Post revealed that “Russian government hackers” had penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee. Foreign spies, the Post claimed, had gained access to the DNC’s entire database of opposition research on the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald Trump, just weeks before the Republican Convention. Hillary Clinton said the attack was “troubling.”

It began ominously. Nearly two months earlier, in April, the Democrats had noticed that something was wrong in their networks. Then, in early May, the DNC called in CrowdStrike, a security firm that specializes in countering advanced network threats. After deploying their tools on the DNC’s machines, and after about two hours of work, CrowdStrike found “two sophisticated adversaries” on the Committee’s network. The two groups were well-known in the security industry as “APT 28” and “APT 29.” APT stands for Advanced Persistent Threat—usually jargon for spies...

The combative yet error-prone handling of the Guccifer account is in line with the GRU’s aggressive and risk-taking organizational culture and a wartime mindset prevalent in the Russian intelligence community. Russia’s agencies see themselves as instruments of direct action, working in support of a fragile Russia under siege by the West, especially the United States.

The larger operation, with its manipulative traits, fits well into the wider framework of Russia’s evolving military doctrine, known as New Generation Warfare or the “Gerasimov Doctrine,” named after Valery Gerasimov, the current Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces. This new mindset drastically expands what qualifies as a military target, and it expands what qualifies as military tactic. Deception and disinformation are part and parcel of this new approach, as are “camouflage and concealment,” as the Israeli analyst Dima Adamsky pointed out in an important study of Russia’s evolving strategic art published in November last year.

“Informational struggle,” Adamsky observes, is at the center of New Generation Warfare. Informational struggle means “technological and psychological components designed to manipulate the adversary’s picture of reality, misinform it, and eventually interfere with the decision-making process of individuals, organizations, governments, and societies.”

The Guccifer 2 operation appears to be designed and executed as part of a wider “informational struggle.” The implications are highly significant...

Second, stolen documents leaked in an influence operation are not fully trustworthy. Deception operations are designed to deceive. The metadata show that the Russian operators apparently edited some documents, and in some cases created new documents after the intruders were already expunged from the DNC network on June 11. A file called donors.xls, for instance, was created more than a day after the story came out, on June 15, most likely by copy-pasting an existing list into a clean document...

Not reacting politically to the DNC hack is setting a dangerous precedent. A foreign agency, exploiting Wikileaks and a cutthroat media marketplace, appears to be carefully planning and timing a high-stakes political campaign in the United States that could escalate next week, next fall, or next time. Trump, ironically, is right: the system is actually rigged.

American inaction now risks establishing a de facto norm that all election campaigns in the future, everywhere, are fair game for sabotage—sabotage that could potentially affect the outcome and tarnish the winner’s legitimacy. Inaction also risks squandering the deterrent effects created by the White House’s reaction to North Korea’s role in the infamous Sony Hack, as well as the US Department of Justice indictments of Chinese and Iranian operatives. Remarkably, so far the only countries that have had the confidence to call out aggressive Russian operations are Germany along with Switzerland and France in a more limited way.

Sounds exactly like what we're getting this week. Waving this off and treating it as if it's just some conspiracy is dangerous and plays directly into what Russia wants. Which is to antagonize and de-stabilize.

PBY

Banned
Does anyone understand the rationale behind her coming onboard the Hillary campaign? Trying to keep an open mind.

So, is it true that DWS was hired by the Clinton Campaign after resigning? Seeing it out there, a lot more than the usual BS rumor, but can't find sources.

She was made an honorary chair for outreach or something. Its a pat on the back for DWS. In the pre-social media world no one would even notice.

PBY

Banned
She was given an honorary position which is just throwing her a bone. She won't be the forefront of anything.
This strikes me as worse? The campaign doesn't benefit and just takes a PR hit?

I guess it doesn't matter, tough to get a long term sense of things in today's media storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom