• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously this is pretty much it. But I still don't think it moves people to Trump. The only thing I can see them having is her server ans possibily deleted emails.

That being said holding them till October is a big gamble and I have to think releasing them in the primary (they'd have had to have had them for 4 years!) Or right after would do more damge.

Idk what an October release does and if it moves people.

The DNC leaks were perfectly timed since they were hacked to late to really change the primary.

his clumsy NATO comments also raises eyebrows IMO on Trump's true patriotism.. for Russia

Geg

his clumsy NATO comments also raises eyebrows IMO on Trump's true patriotism.. for Russia

Is it true what I read last week that actually acting on the stuff he said about NATO would be seen as treason?

Would the Republicans in congress actually act against him in that case?

The support of white evangelicals for Trump is honestly legendary though.

He's been condemned by religious congressional leaders (Cruz, Lee), condemned by religious websites, his goal is persecution of Latino and black and Muslim Americans (who are more religious than non-evangelical white people on average), he's not religious at all and is somewhat moderate when it comes to LGBT issues and has probably paid for abortions for women... And yet they're going 90% for Trump.

I wish Hillary would start supporting legal weed and other socially liberal positions now that it's clear that white evangelicals will never, ever, ever support a Democrat woman.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Then stop saying two month surge for one. you have already started diablosing so you don't get to say you've reserved that.

I remember we looked at the past 50-75 year trends in the winter and the 100 and 30 day pre-convention markers and general slope were the best indicators for the final outcome bar 1-2 exceptions. I wonder how those hold up now that we are at convention time?

GutsOfThor

This election has stopped being fun and has now become psychologically draining. It's to the point where if some all-powerful arbiter flew in and said they could end the 2016 election today, but the price to pay would be a Romney-level Republican being awarded the presidency, I'd probably be weak enough to consider it.

I picked a hell of a year to curtail drinking.

I'm right there with you. I'm sick of it already. I've been looking forward to enjoying the summer months but really all I've been doing is worrying about this shit. Almost tempted to just shut all of it out until Nov. 8th.

8 ball time.

Manafort coordinated the hack with Russian intelligence. Trump has all the oppo dump. This is watergate 2.0. FBI is always slow with cybersecurity shit but they will find Manafort's paws all over this and he will resign. Trump feigns ignorance and survives, but the election is all but over by then.

EDIT!!!

DNC official starts doing opposition research into Trump's campaign chief and is immediately targeted by "state sponsored" hacker. Yep, nothing to see here:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv...russians-and-wider-penetration-154121061.html
Just weeks after she started preparing opposition research files on Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort last spring, Democratic National Committee consultant Alexandra Chalupa got an alarming message when she logged into her personal Yahoo email account.
“Since I started digging into Manafort, these messages have been a daily oc­­­­currence on my Yahoo account despite changing my p­­a­ssword often,” she wrote in a May 3 email to Luis Miranda,

“I was freaked out,” Chalupa, who serves as director of “ethnic engagement” for the DNC, told Yahoo News in an interview, noting that she had been in close touch with sources in Kiev, Ukraine, including a number of investigative journalists, who had been providing her with information about Manafort’s political and business dealings in that country and Russia.
“This is really scary,” she said.

I lurk this thread a lot and you guys are crazy lol. Right now everyone is FREAKING OUT but in less than twelve hours you'll probably all feel like HRC is unstoppable with likely 3~ amazing speeches in a row.

8 ball time.

Manafort coordinated the hack with Russian intelligence. Trump has all the oppo dump. This is watergate 2.0. FBI is always slow with cybersecurity shit but they will find Manafort's paws all over this and he will resign. Trump feigns ignorance and survives, but the election is all but over by then.

That'd be fun to watch unfold.

Two sources familiar with the breach said that the hackers’ reach was far more widespread than initially thought and includes personal data about big party contributors and internal “vetting” evaluations that include embarrassing comments about their business dealings (as well as gossipy internal emails about the private affairs of DNC staffers). One newly posted email discusses a prospective DNC donor’s offering to host a fundraiser with President Obama, noting that he had previously been convicted in a case involving allegations that he killed 50 horses, as part of an insurance fraud scheme. Party officials are bracing for more damaging document dumps after Labor Day. “They’re having to do serious damage control with the donors right now,” said a party official familiar with the matter.

from yahoo.

I still see nothing about clintons personal emails which is the only thing I think can actually change anything.

and the "next leak will get her indicted" was before this leak.

I'm right there with you. I'm sick of it already. I've been looking forward to enjoying the summer months but really all I've been doing is worrying about this shit. Almost tempted to just shut all of it out until Nov. 8th.

As much as I want to shut it out, I should probably use this as motivation to be more active in my support of Clinton.

8 ball time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv...russians-and-wider-penetration-154121061.html

russia has got his back though
Just weeks after she started preparing “oppo” — opposition — research files on Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort last spring, Democratic National Committee consultant Alexandra Chalupa got an alarming message when she logged into her personal Yahoo email account.

“Important action required,” read a pop-up box from a Yahoo security team that is informally known as “the Paranoids.” “We strongly suspect that your account has been the target of state-sponsored actors.”

Chalupa — who had been drafting memos and writing emails about Manafort’s connection to pro-Russian political leaders in Ukraine — quickly alerted top DNC officials. “Since I started digging into Manafort, these messages have been a daily oc­­­­currence on my Yahoo account despite changing my p­­a­ssword often,” she wrote in a May 3 email to Luis Miranda, the DNC’s communications director, which included an attached screengrab of the image of the Yahoo security warning.

“I was freaked out,” Chalupa, who serves as director of “ethnic engagement” for the DNC, told Yahoo News in an interview, noting that she had been in close touch with sources in Kiev, Ukraine, including a number of investigative journalists, who had been providing her with information about Manafort’s political and business dealings in that country and Russia.

8 ball time.

Donald Trump stars in: The Mandarine Candidate.

(The Manchurian Candidate was a better movie but Donald will claim his broke world records. Some will even call it... the best movie.)

from yahoo.

I still see nothing about clintons personal emails which is the only thing I think can actually change anything.

and the "next leak will get her indicted" was before this leak.

Just more embarrassment and going off-message until November.

And a complete reboot of the DNC.

Boke1879

I think what we'll see in the coming days and beyond is that dems will put this whole thing on the Russia and maybe you'll see them try to tie Manafort to it all.

gcubed

I think what we'll see in the coming days and beyond is that dems will put this whole thing on the Russia and maybe you'll see them try to tie Manafort to it all.

some, but if we have learned anything in the past few months, is that a good portion of liberal voters love to ballwash russia

Snowden is saying the NSA pretty much knows if the Russians did it or not. Obama can reveal. Break open story.

I imagine they will in august

edit: snowden is pretty much arguing the NSA start calling out these attacks as a kind of deterrent. Weird he's implying it has positive uses!

HylianTom

Banned
Atlanta Journal-Constituton is reporting that Bernie will be addressing his delegates, no media allowed to be present. Interesting.

Iolo

It's funny that during the primary we were worried about Bernie's supposed ties to Russia to be a theme of the general election, when in fact it turned out to be Trump's.

Manafort is the easy target to get removed. Thing is Trump will lie to defend himself even when the truth is more convenient.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Snowden is saying the NSA pretty much knows if the Russians did it or not. Obama can reveal. Break open story.

If it was Russia they're gonna make sure to have as much evidence as humanly possible given how this would not only impact international relations but the election.

Atlanta Journal-Constituton is reporting that Bernie will be addressing his delegates, no media allowed to be present. Interesting.

Probably going to give them a talking to so they behave.

If it was Russia they're gonna make sure to have as much evidence as humanly possible given how this would not only impact international relations but the election.

Probably going to give them a talking to so they behave.

Yup. Don't want to jump the gun but no doubt they don't want elections tampered with.

Tamanon

Banned

edit: snowden is pretty much arguing the NSA start calling out these attacks as a kind of deterrent. Weird he's implying it has positive uses!
Yeah but people believe the CIA completely lied as an organization to protect Hillary, I don't even think they would blink if President Obama said anything.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
A week ago I felt like a crazy conspiracy person when I said I thought there was something going on with Russia stealing the opposition research on Trump, Manafort and Trump's NATO comments... This is the wierdest election ever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup. Don't want to jump the gun but no doubt they don't want elections tampered with.

I'm just picturing the sort of shitstorm that revelation would set off and I'm not sure we'll have seen anything like it in modern times. Obama would basically be saying a foreign power was trying to influence our election, from there any journalist (not matter how dumb) would be able to tie Russia's actions to Trump through Manafort. The shitstorm would basically be unprecedented in American politics.

Trump's people doing WaterGate 2 would probably be the only thing too similar between Trump and Nixon.

Considering another nation would be involved this would be bigger than Watergate.

I'm not sure this is going to happen, but it's frightening to think about.

Boke1879

Gonna give them that verbal smackdown and tell them to chill and look at the bigger picture.

Manafort is the easy target to get removed. Thing is Trump will lie to defend himself even when the truth is more convenient.

While you're right and none of this would stick to Trump it's just something the left can use to question his decision making. IF Manafort is tied to this.

You know, every time I feel myself spiraling, I remember your words and it gets me through the day. So... thank you!

Lol no problem. As I've gotten older I've learned to not stress too much about things I have NO control over. What's going to happen is going to happen. Lets focus on what we can control. We need to get out and vote in November.

pigeon

Banned
Okay, I'm at a computer now.

1. It is fine to be afraid. You should be afraid. Let that fear propel you into action.

2. DWS is basically a lousy DNC chair and always has been. That said, she does not matter, and this thread is kind of gross in its fridging of her.

3. If this thread is going to freak out about literally every media beat it is going to be intolerable. The most important media beat is the one that plays overnight. That will be after Bernie and after Warren. Worry at that one.

4. Ultimately the Busters have extremely limited relevance in a world where Bernie Sanders is throwing his weight behind Hillary.

5. Trump did not do better with almost any demographic in recent polls. He did better with exactly one -- non-college-educated white people. He even lost ground among college-educated whites. Then why is he leading? Because the poll contains more of them now.

6. Changes in poll demographics modelling do not correspond to changes in national demographics. There are not more non-college educated white people than there used to be. The only major reason to be concerned is if you think that Trump is going to turn out huge numbers of non-college whites that don't currently vote, and that Hillary will not similarly run up turnout among minorities, women, and college-educated whites.

7. This is not a totally unreasonable fear. If Trump has a path to winning, it was always in turning out more non-college whites while minorities stay home. But that means that the real question is turnout. Guess which campaign has invested literally nothing in GOTV, one of the very few campaign investments that shows actual statistical returns?

8. If Trump is abandoning everybody except non-college whites, that means he gives up a bunch of states. Chief among them are FL and VA. As established, with the current swing state layout, FL and VA are the end of the election. This is including PA as a swing state.

9. So if Trump is writing off all minority heavy states, it's not enough for him to just win PA. He needs to turn several other Rust Belt states. Those are probably the only places where a commanding non-college white lead might actually turn blue states into red ones. So that's WI, IA, MI, MN. Those are the places to keep an eye on.

10. Meanwhile he's going to put red states with large minority populations in play. GA is the most obvious one.

11. BOOOOOOOO KRISTOFFER BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ROLL CALL VOTE

I don't think trump or his people know about this (including Manafort) but there's likely enough for Hillary to hit him on it and really scare people that he'll go soft on Russia.

I think that scares people in suburbia more than emails getting hacked (she looks like a victim).

This really does feel like its a watergate type story with the small leak turning into a much bigger story.

Thing we gotta trust is the media can find out where it leads

User1608

Banned
This really does feel like its a watergate type story with the small leak turning into a much bigger story.

If it is, what the hell...

This election cycle is too crazy already but if it really turns out to be WG 2.0 I'll be shocked.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Whoever breaks this is going to get a Pulitzer Prize, you bet your damn ass everyone and their grandmother reporting in this field is going to be chasing this story.

If it's an actual thing that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom